Anyone have PXG and not happy with them?

00bolt

I bought some PXG 0311T Gen 1 irons a few months ago for my birthday in August. My previous clubs was a mixed set of Titleist CB/MB and I was so excited to finally get PXG. Buuuut now fast forward 3 months and I’m still not completely sold. Not saying they are bad by any means. But I’m just not sure I love them? I had the lofts bent to match my previous clubs exactly and I put the same Modus 105 shafts in them. And I seem to have lost about half a club in distance and possibly even some spin into greens as well. Just curious any anyone else ever had a similar experience

IG: golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Cobra F9 3 Wood
Titleist 818 H1 19° Hybrid
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Cleveland RTX4 50°, 54°, 58°
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe not good fit with shaft, idk

(Sorry just read you have same shaft)

Have a set coming soon but if I dont like em I just dump em....its just a golf club like any other

I too am playing a MB set with CB long irons that I really like, have new set if z785 sitting in closet as didnt really care for either the head or shaft in them (different than my MB set)

If I dont like PXG I will buy last 2 new sets of my current MP69 and be set for quite awhile. Lol

Same shaft and lofts. So I dunno. Like I said, I don’t hate them and not saying they aren’t good. But I don’t just hit them and think wooow or anything. I liked my Titleist CB better honestly. Wish I could find someone to trade me for a set of Miura baby blades haha.

Cobra F9 3 Wood
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

Finally it took awhile but now more and more people are realizing they are just another golf club with a higher price tag as I'm talking about the Gen 2's/ Its nice that they came out with the Hero's program but really that's all the Gen 2's should also cost maybe a few hundred more if that. If you want to spend money like that look at JDM equipment for sure as there is quality but still no major gain if any in a better game. People just bought into the hype with PXG as there is no other club that is like PXG and I'm only talking about all the screws. Maybe that is what people like them and that is fine.

Way too many people also thought they were going to see a major improvement which is why many are very disappointed but at least everyone who owns a set can say not too many people out there has a set of PXG's. Nothing magical about them. They are nice club but before I would go out and spend the money on some Gen 2's I would look at some Epons, Miura's or even the new Concept irons by Titleist as there are some clubs that are worth the extra bucks. And before I would buy from the Hero's program well take you pick so many other great name brands to chose from that are as good as the Gen 1 or 2's. Maybe this is why the game of golf is dying out everything is getting to be overprice as good luck trying to sell your PXG's and get a fair amount back as that goes with any set of golf clubs.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Can't see this thread going in a positive direction....

PXG are really no different than anything else. A lot of people have put them on another level without even trying them and I believe the price point is to blame. We shouldn't we expect more from something that costs so much. It's really no different than a Circle T costing thousands... it's not going to sink more putts just because. I believe PXG are just as good as anything out there, but they just weren't FOR ME either. It is hard to keep the expectations lower when you're dropping such coin but that's really how you have to go into it or there is very little room for them to impress. I was glad I got to scratch the itch but if those CB/MBs were better, then just stick with what works. I enjoyed the 716 CB MUCH more than the 0311t as well.... give them more time or see if you can get yourself into something else you might like.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

I came from a 716 CB/MB combo. Same shafts. For me the CBs had the sweetest feel of them all, although I am splitting hairs here because the MBs and PXGs all feel great.. I have gained a few yards with the PXGs (they spin a tad less...). I think that the PXGs provide a touch more forgiveness. Overall I am very happy with them and will likely upgrade to the Gen 2s when the Gen 3s come out....

Driver (10):  Titleist TSR3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
3 Wood (16.5):  Titleist TSR2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (19):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Hybrid (22):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Irons (5-G):  Titleist T100S (TT Elevate Tour)
Wedges:  54/58:  Vokey SM9 (PX LZ 6.0 -- Onyx)
Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas 2022

Can't see this thread going in a positive direction....

PXG are really no different than anything else. A lot of people have put them on another level without even trying them and I believe the price point is to blame. We shouldn't we expect more from something that costs so much. It's really no different than a Circle T costing thousands... it's not going to sink more putts just because. I believe PXG are just as good as anything out there, but they just weren't FOR ME either. It is hard to keep the expectations lower when you're dropping such coin but that's really how you have to go into it or there is very little room for them to impress. I was glad I got to scratch the itch but if those CB/MBs were better, then just stick with what works. I enjoyed the 716 CB MUCH more than the 0311t as well.... give them more time or see if you can get yourself into something else you might like.

I agree with this. When demo'd the PXG they were just as good as anything else, but no better. So for full price I saw no performance benefit worth the price difference. If I was eligible for the Hero pricing I may have given them a harder look.

I bought some PXG 0311T Gen 1 irons a few months ago for my birthday in August. My previous clubs was a mixed set of Titleist CB/MB and I was so excited to finally get PXG. Buuuut now fast forward 3 months and I’m still not completely sold. Not saying they are bad by any means. But I’m just not sure I love them? I had the lofts bent to match my previous clubs exactly and I put the same Modus 105 shafts in them. And I seem to have lost about half a club in distance and possibly even some spin into greens as well. Just curious any anyone else ever had a similar experience

Edit: To answer your question: yes, there are people in the PXG threads with your same thoughts among the people who also love them. Here you go: PXG thread 1 PXG thread 2

Sell them and get back to a set you love. Life is short, golf is supposed to be fun, and we aren't getting paid by these companies.

Gives you an excuse to get a fitting or test a bunch of irons. :)

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

Same shaft and lofts. So I dunno. Like I said, I don’t hate them and not saying they aren’t good. But I don’t just hit them and think wooow or anything. I liked my Titleist CB better honestly. Wish I could find someone to trade me for a set of Miura baby blades haha.

I've got to say that I don't think just because the shaft is the same it will be the right fit. I went for a few fittings and came out with my current clubs which are the i200 with KBS Tour 120 stiff. I thought about moving on from them and tried the Mizuno MP18 SC, AP2 and a couple of others with the KBS Tour and the combos felt horrible. I liked the Mizuno better with PX LZ for instance and I preferred other clubs with DG etc etc. I think the head has to match the shaft and just because a shaft worked in one club doesn't mean it will continue working. Just a thought. May be worth trying to demo the PXG with a different shaft in it and then reshaft if you find a good one.

Just because you play a shaft in one set doesn’t mean it will perform same way in another brand . Different technology. This is why fittings are important . If you wanted same as titleist , you should have stayed with the titleist . i see to many people making up their sets because this shaft is latest greatest or so and so on tour uses it . Buy what is right for your game and your swing even if you think you want something else

I've been fit for different shafts as optimal for different heads from the same manufacturer. Maybe there is another shaft that would be more ideal for you with this particular head. The loft adjustment might also be contributing to the loss in distance although they are now the same lofts as your previous CB/MB's. How do they feel/perform otherwise?

What Is and What Should Never Be

Swingweight the same as your old irons?

For what it’s worth, I originally got fitted in to Modus3 105X, and hated them. When the full set turned up peak height was way too high, too much spin, launch angle and descent angles too high. The net result was a loss of about 15-20 yards.

As for the comment about PXG irons not being workable, well that’s obviously nonsense. The “T” and “P” irons can be as versatile as any other players iron out there. If you can’t keep the ball low with them, then obviously it’s the shaft causing it.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Thanks everyone. I don’t want it to come off as they aren’t nice clubs. They obviously are very nice. I guess I just expected a wow factor after playing with them and it’s just not there. The first time I got my Miura wedges. I remember thinking these are different than any wedge I had before. I just never got that feeling with the pxg.

That said. I did find someone with some almost new Miura CB57 irons he’d trade me straight up for my PXG. Heads for heads. Considering it just because I know I like Miura. But I’ve never hit the CB57. So again would basically be a shot in the dark kinda thing.

Cobra F9 3 Wood
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

I have heard that constantly being asked what you do for a living in order to afford them, can be very annoying.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I got the 0311 5-PW through the Hero's program. While I appreciate the program, I really don't like the irons at all. I am one of those that simply don't care for the feel of them, seems to muted. The performance was fine, about 1/2 club less than my Z745s. I gave them a decent 3 month run, but going back to the feel of the Stixons.

I never thought much about swing weight. Maybe that plays into why I’m not crazy about them. I’ll have it checked. But I don’t really wanna go adding ugly lead tape and stuff.

Cobra F9 3 Wood
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Custom Edel E-3 Putter