Taylormade Tour Issue 2016-2018 M Series Drivers....Trackman Comparison Data

TollBros

Can’t wait to see the results with the 115 mph club head speeds!

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, very interesting.

Toll - do you have dispersion numbers for this tester? Not just the "distance from center" dispersion number but farthest left and right numbers?

Very interesting that 8.5 m4 is on par with 8.5 16 m2. That makes me happy since it helps validate that going from 9.5 16 m2 to 8.5 m4 will be solid.

Dispersion numbers get better with each progression of the line. M4 with twist face is pretty clearly the most accurate of the entire bunch. M2 2016 does have the slight edge on ball speed in ONLY the 8.5 loft, which was Tour issue only and the reason the PGA Tour went back to both air cannon testing as well as CT. Lower swing speeds tested different lofts so stay tuned for that. The results are not the same for every speed.

Agreed Toll. I have a tour issue m4 8.5(9.1) actual and it is the best driver I have ever had. Its the best I’ve had as far as dispersion.

Any of the testers in the 105-110 range like us normal folks

"TollBros Posted Yesterday, 12:48 PM

125mph Head results. We will eventually post 115, 110, and 105 as well."

Hmmm, very interesting.

Toll - do you have dispersion numbers for this tester? Not just the "distance from center" dispersion number but farthest left and right numbers?

Very interesting that 8.5 m4 is on par with 8.5 16 m2. That makes me happy since it helps validate that going from 9.5 16 m2 to 8.5 m4 will be solid.

Dispersion numbers get better with each progression of the line. M4 with twist face is pretty clearly the most accurate of the entire bunch. M2 2016 does have the slight edge on ball speed in ONLY the 8.5 loft, which was Tour issue only and the reason the PGA Tour went back to both air cannon testing as well as CT. Lower swing speeds tested different lofts so stay tuned for that. The results are not the same for every speed.

Agreed Toll. I have a tour issue m4 8.5(9.1) actual and it is the best driver I have ever had. Its the best I've had as far as dispersion.

M3 and M4 are undeniably more accurate than the previous models. M4 particularly.

115 Data up. We will be switching lofts for the lower speeds as the 8.5's just weren't spinning enough to get any useful data.

M4 been doing pretty well...

The whole M line is fantastic in my opinion. Of the currently 42 guys we have employed to test in some capacity, about 35 play Taylormade drivers. They are as good as anything made, AND you can choose the exact loft and face angle you want without being stuck with one of those single loft heads that require you to lay the driver wide open faced to decrease "loft" or shut the face to increase "loft".

As for M4, the twist face makes it the most accurate of the bunch, and the ball speed is maybe not quite at 2016 M2 8.5 level, but it's close enough, and noticeably more accurate. I think, overall for most people, it's the best of the M line yet, and a decent step forward from the 2017 line, which other than the 440 head, was a step back from 2016.

I should add that M1 drivers are tested with the back weight in the center position, so if you need really low spin, you can still knock off maybe 200 rpm more in the M1 and M3 heads by moving the weight all the way forward.

115 Data up. We will be switching lofts for the lower speeds as the 8.5's just weren't spinning enough to get any useful data.

The whole M line is fantastic in my opinion. Of the currently 42 guys we have employed to test in some capacity, about 35 play Taylormade drivers. They are as good as anything made, AND you can choose the exact loft and face angle you want without being stuck with one of those single loft heads that require you to lay the driver wide open faced to decrease "loft" or shut the face to increase "loft".

As for M4, the twist face makes it the most accurate of the bunch, and the ball speed is maybe not quite at 2016 M2 8.5 level, but it's close enough, and noticeably more accurate. I think, overall for most people, it's the best of the M line yet, and a decent step forward from the 2017 line, which other than the 440 head, was a step back from 2016.

I should add that M1 drivers are tested with the back weight in the center position, so if you need really low spin, you can still knock off maybe 200 rpm more in the M1 and M3 heads by moving the weight all the way forward.

Any thoughts on M3 440?

Any thoughts on M3 440?

We have all that data, but it tends to be misleading because they do require pretty solid strikes and vary wildly in spin rates based on AOA and speed through the ball. If you are interested, I certainly can fit you into whatever head would be most suitable, however we won't be posting data on those heads.

Agree, I've been impressed. Surprising with it's supposedly much higher CG location than the rest of the heads in this test.

Agree, I've been impressed. Surprising with it's supposedly much higher CG location than the rest of the heads in this test.

I think in this case it is being buoyed by the high MOI which helps mitigate the negative effects of high CG and is only proving what the G400 MAX has taught us; high MOI is the rising tide that floats all boats.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I see ya JT almost cracking a 190 ballspeed average.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I think it's always been Taylormade's intention to keep these drivers fairly similar in launch and spin from one generation to the next, while slowly implementing more and more tech into each progressive line. The 2016 line was special, 2017 missed the mark a bit, however I did think the 440 M1 head was excellent and a step forward. Then comes tweaks to the line, along with twist face and some counteractive CG/MOI set up and they have moved forward again. I'd say the 2018 line incorporates all the things everyone loved about the 2016 line with some progressive tech to improve the drivers across the board. It's almost like the 2017 line was sort of a lateral bridge to get to the good stuff in 2018. I personally hit the M4 just as well as my 2016 8.5 degree M2, but I trust the M2 and have had the driver for 3 years and know just where to hit it, what it does, how to move it, etc. If I was starting over, or had a different loft, I'd make the shift, but being totally transparent, I'm going to keep playing my 2016 M2 8.5 head because I know that loft fails the air cannon test on Tour and I don't really need the benefits that the M4 offers, however, 99% of all golfers do.

In all honesty, the 2016 8.5 M2 head is my actual on course gamer driver. haha. I simply set up all the rest of the heads the same way, so my comfort zone is as high as it gets and I can really rip into it. Normally I'm a few mph slower testing stuff I don't hit every day.

I've posted this a few times, but it always gets lost in the shuffle. I figured I would share how we set up the M2 and M4 Taylormade drivers to get the best performance out of the heads.

First off we suggest you drop .75-1 degree of ACTUAL loft on the face. Easy to do with hand picked Tour heads. With retail this is pointless because of production tolerances which leave with no real idea what the exact loft on the face is, or what the next driver will be. Then instead of loading the head up with hot melt or some guys use lead tape, we like to put the heaviest back weight possible to get swing weight where the player wants it. This will increase launch and spin, but dropping the degree of loft will neutralize those, and give you the launch and spin you are used to, with higher ball speeds and higher MOI for more forgiveness.

In all honesty, the 2016 8.5 M2 head is my actual on course gamer driver. haha. I simply set up all the rest of the heads the same way, so my comfort zone is as high as it gets and I can really rip into it. Normally I'm a few mph slower testing stuff I don't hit every day.

You’re smoking me now! I’m so far out of mid season form it’s pathetic. The only trackman within a 3 hour drive is currently out of commission and I can’t seem to get within 8 mph ballspeed of what I use get on the old gc2 at golf galaxy. ??‍♂️

Piretti Savona 

You’re smoking me now! I’m so far out of mid season form it’s pathetic. The only trackman within a 3 hour drive is currently out of commission and I can’t seem to get within 8 mph ballspeed of what I use get on the old gc2 at golf galaxy. ??‍♂️

Now you're trying to dupe me. Haha. I wouldn't step up against you in a ball speed contest for anything. That's a sucker's bet and I'm not taking it! Haha

Now you're trying to dupe me. Haha. I wouldn't step up against you in a ball speed contest for anything. That's a sucker's bet and I'm not taking it! Haha

I’m 100% serious!

Piretti Savona 

Damn. The 2017 M2 has nearly a 10 yard difference from the 2016 versions of themselves and both the m3/m4. I feel like I've had pretty good success with my 17 M2 in comparison with my 16 M2 before it broke. I will say I had noticed some shots that looked like they had way more spin on them and after seeing this it makes sense. Looks like I have a decision to make over the winter...

TM SIM 9* Ventus Black 6TX 
TM SIM Ti 19* Ventus Black 9TX 
TM P790 3 DG X100 

TM P7MC 4, 2014 MB 5-PW DG X7
TM MG 52, 56, Hi-Toe 60 DG S400
TM Spider Tour Black

Toll -

Thanks for the time on these tests and for posting. I know you guys are in the equipment business so my apologies for what will follow (not buying from you)....

Your data on the m4 with just the first 2 testers is what I saw in both launch monitor and on course testing (actually, on course was better than inside).

Now I'm not apples to apples. I've been playing the 16 m2 in a 9.5 head for a while. That head was giving me 12ish launch and 2200-2400 spin. M4 8.5 was showing 13.5-15 launch and the same spin numbers. Took the club on the course,one I play often, and was driving the ball into spots I don't usually with the 16. BUT it was so much straighter, even on mishits. Par 5 8th, hit a toe side shot that got nearly as much as the 16 would have gotten.

Had decided to get an m4 after that (2 weeks ago). Picked it up today. Hit it on the monitors before I left and was getting same launch but a bit less spin...1900-2300. Ballspeeds at 158-162. "Dry ball" carries near 280..that's big for me (108-110 clubhead). 16 m2 was always 156-158 but carry rarely got over 275.

Best of all, painting the center line. I'm ready for Saturday's round...told my buddy to prepare to hit all his approaches first.

So thanks for the reinforcement to make the move to m4, even though I didn't buy from you (I'm not a tour head guy)..plus my local retailer helped me a bunch the last few weeks..kind of owned them the sell.

Toll -

Thanks for the time on these tests and for posting. I know you guys are in the equipment business so my apologies for what will follow (not buying from you)....

Your data on the m4 with just the first 2 testers is what I saw in both launch monitor and on course testing (actually, on course was better than inside).

Now I'm not apples to apples. I've been playing the 16 m2 in a 9.5 head for a while. That head was giving me 12ish launch and 2200-2400 spin. M4 8.5 was showing 13.5-15 launch and the same spin numbers. Took the club on the course,one I play often, and was driving the ball into spots I don't usually with the 16. BUT it was so much straighter, even on mishits. Par 5 8th, hit a toe side shot that got nearly as much as the 16 would have gotten.

Had decided to get an m4 after that (2 weeks ago). Picked it up today. Hit it on the monitors before I left and was getting same launch but a bit less spin...1900-2300. Ballspeeds at 158-162. "Dry ball" carries near 280..that's big for me (108-110 clubhead). 16 m2 was always 156-158 but carry rarely got over 275.

Best of all, painting the center line. I'm ready for Saturday's round...told my buddy to prepare to hit all his approaches first.

So thanks for the reinforcement to make the move to m4, even though I didn't buy from you (I'm not a tour head guy)..plus my local retailer helped me a bunch the last few weeks..kind of owned them the sell.

No worries, although sales do help give us the time to keep doing these types of threads. ;) Just saying. Haha.

Seriously though, I'm glad your on course experience is mirroring what we see in testing. The more we can help people enjoy the game, the better, no matter where they buy from. And if these types of threads make you consider us in the future, then it's a win for everyone in the end. :)

Damn. The 2017 M2 has nearly a 10 yard difference from the 2016 versions of themselves and both the m3/m4. I feel like I've had pretty good success with my 17 M2 in comparison with my 16 M2 before it broke. I will say I had noticed some shots that looked like they had way more spin on them and after seeing this it makes sense. Looks like I have a decision to make over the winter...

Same for me. I have tour issue 16 and 17 M2 heads and I see virtually the same performance. I don't know why. Maybe my pedestrian 103-108 swingspeed doesn't elicit much difference between the heads. The 16 may be slightly longer overall, but the 17 is definitely more forgiving. All I know is I like both of them.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

Same for me. I have tour issue 16 and 17 M2 heads and I see virtually the same performance. I don't know why. Maybe my pedestrian 103-108 swingspeed doesn't elicit much difference between the heads. The 16 may be slightly longer overall, but the 17 is definitely more forgiving. All I know is I like both of them.

Could even be manufacturing tolerances. One head a little hotter, one head a little less so... <shrug>

This thread is pure awesome. A tip of the hat and polite golf applause to JT.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I've posted this a few times, but it always gets lost in the shuffle. I figured I would share how we set up the M2 and M4 Taylormade drivers to get the best performance out of the heads.

First off we suggest you drop .75-1 degree of ACTUAL loft on the face. Easy to do with hand picked Tour heads. With retail this is pointless because of production tolerances which leave with no real idea what the exact loft on the face is, or what the next driver will be. Then instead of loading the head up with hot melt or some guys use lead tape, we like to put the heaviest back weight possible to get swing weight where the player wants it. This will increase launch and spin, but dropping the degree of loft will neutralize those, and give you the launch and spin you are used to, with higher ball speeds and higher MOI for more forgiveness.

This has me intrigued about an m4.

Piretti Savona 

This has me intrigued about an m4.

It's the exact way I play my M2. 44.5 inches, D1.5, 3 grams of melt for sound and the rest in a 12 gram back weight, at just under 7 degrees of true loft, slightly open, but not much. The set up is awesome. It's the same way I set up my M4 in the test for direct comparison.