Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Are the equipment companies killing golf?

bkloessbkloess St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
With how quickly the large companies churn out new clubs, do you think that the average golfer is fed up with it? Does technology keep advancing that rapidly that club makers have to come out with a product that is that much better than the previous line? Tell me what you think.
Ping G400 LST 9.5 w/ Rogue 125 TX
Ping G30 13 w/ Tour AD-DI 8x
Ping S55 (3-P) w/ Tour Issue DG x100 +.5
Ping Tour Gorge 52/56/60 w/ DG TI S400
Scotty 009/ Scotty FB+ Circle T
Titleist Pro V1x

Comments

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,705 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's all in people's heads. If you don't want new clubs, don't buy them. If you have a need to have the newest stuff when even the OEM'S have mostly stopped saying that they are all 10yds longer than the last, that's on the individual not the OEM

Until they start forcing you at gunpoint to buy things we shouldn't be too upset

I also don't think cost of equipment is related to our enjoyment of golf any more now than at any point in history
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/S300
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • Lefty96Lefty96 Members Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    No one is obligated to buy new clubs. I think the average golfer knows that as long as they have semi recent clubs, new technology isn't going to change their game tremendously. However, everyone here knows just how fun it is to buy a new set of sticks just to see if the new fit will make a difference for them. I do not think the fact that companies keep offering new products is hurting golf, in fact it is probably helping.
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 9*/Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
    XR 16 15* 3w/fukijura 565 Stiff
    Adams Red 18*/Matrix altus Stiff
    4-PW 718 AP3/AMT tour white Stiff
    50* cleveland RTX 2.0 (10* bounce)
    56* cleveland RTX 2.0 (12* bounce)
    60* cleveland RTX 2.0 (6* bounce)
    Odyssey O-Works #9 with Garsen Ultimate grip
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda how car companies are destroying driving. Everyone is saying "F it, I'm walking to work from now on". LOL
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • ZigzogZigzog Members Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Is not just golf, look at how often a mobile phone is now replaced by something better. I generally tend to tinker as much as the next guy but have to say I never tend to buy new gear, the second hand market is full of great stuff - probably as a direct result of your original point.
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade M3 Driver 9.5 - Graphite Design AD Di - 6S
    Callaway Epic SZ 3 Wood - Graphite Design AD Di - 7S

PXG - 19 - 0317 X Hybrid - Fujikura 72 S

Wilson V6 - 4 - GW - DG - S300 AMT

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 56 and 60

Edel E2 [/font]
  • vernonvernon Hi! I'm Holly! Members Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Luckily for the OEM's there's a sucker born every minute. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing it the way they do.

Unfortunately, I fall heavily on the side of the sucker category although I actually just really, really like new toys!

You're welcome Mr. OEM.......
  • MixedBagMixedBag Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭
    Don’t think average golfers even pay attention.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]M1 10.5 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] F9 3/4[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]F9 5/6[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] AMP Cell 4/5h[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] CG16 5-PW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Grindworks[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 86 Series - 50* and 56*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sunset Beach[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 60*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM Chaska (silver) / Lajosi mid-mallet prototype[/font]
  • mcs4mcs4 South FloridaMembers Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bkloess wrote:

With how quickly the large companies churn out new clubs, do you think that the average golfer is fed up with it?

No. It seems to me that the *average* golfer tends to play the same set of irons for five years or more and doesn't swap anything out more often than every two or three years, with the possible exception of driver or putter for some folks.

The average WRXer is a different story.
    Cobra King F7 (Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60, stiff)
    Cobra AMP 4w (Comp CZ)
    Mizuno MP-H4 3 iron (Aldila Tour Green 85)
    Mizuno MP-H4 4 iron (Steelfiber 95)
    Mizuno MP-25 5-PW (Steelfiber 110)
    Ping i E1, 50 deg. (Recoil 110)
    Nike Engage 56 deg. (Recoil 95)
    Nike Engage 59 deg. (Recoil 95)
  • FairwindsgolferFairwindsgolfer Members Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 6, 2018 #9
    MixedBag wrote:

Don’t think average golfers even pay attention.

You have a good point regarding the average golfer.

Granted, there are no statistics that I can cite to support this notion, however I can say that the majority of golfers at my public course stay with the same equipment for long periods of time.

This includes the majority of low handicappers I know at the club.

Truth be told, I would love to know which group or groups of golfers most frequently buy new equipment and whether there is a correlation to the number of rounds said golfers play, along with whether they are low mid or high handicappers

Bridgestone J33 combo 5-pw
    Ping G400 LST driver
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood
    Nike CPR 2 hybrid
    Cobra Baffler 3 hybrid
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 60 wedges
    Putter- I hate them all

• bkloessbkloess St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:

Kinda how car companies are destroying driving. Everyone is saying "F it, I'm walking to work from now on". LOL
    That isn't a fair statement because 90%+ of the population isn't playing golf
    Titleist Pro V1x
  • eldog-in-the-hizouseeldog-in-the-hizouse Members Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be a little worrisome when you think of how a novice might view new equipment as a way to improve their game from buying clubs rather than practicing and improving their skills. A good player can play with anything though. There's also nothing wrong with buying new clubs all the time if that's what you like to do and you can afford it. There's no absolute rule. I see lots of great players switch out clubs like some guys change their socks. Lots of good players keep clubs for a decade or more. The same can be said for higher handicap players. It's supposed to be fun. I started playing tennis with my wife. The pro sold me a new racket two years ago. It has not once occurred to me to buy a new one. I wish I could apply that concept to my golf sometimes...

MixedBag wrote:

Don't think average golfers even pay attention.

Granted, there are no statistics that I can cite to support this notion, however I can say that the majority of golfers at my public course stay with the same equipment for long periods of time.

Truth be told, I would love to know which group or groups of golfers most frequently buy new equipment and whether there is a correlation to the number of rounds said golfers play, along with whether they are low mid or high handicappers
    I probably should have stated about growing the game with new golfers
    Titleist Pro V1x
  • LifeStoryLifeStory Members Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭
    it is getting a little absurd at this point, and the marketing is a cringefest for the most part.

MixedBag wrote:

That's why I wanted to see other people's opinions on the subject.
    Titleist Pro V1x
    LifeStory wrote:

it is getting a little absurd at this point, and the marketing is a cringefest for the most part.
    Very true. I have no problem with new clubs, just not every 4 months, it seems
    Titleist Pro V1x

It might be a little worrisome when you think of how a novice might view new equipment as a way to improve their game from buying clubs rather than practicing and improving their skills. A good player can play with anything though. There's also nothing wrong with buying new clubs all the time if that's what you like to do and you can afford it. There's no absolute rule. I see lots of great players switch out clubs like some guys change their socks. Lots of good players keep clubs for a decade or more. The same can be said for higher handicap players. It's supposed to be fun. I started playing tennis with my wife. The pro sold me a new racket two years ago. It has not once occurred to me to buy a new one. I wish I could apply that concept to my golf sometimes...
    The problem is that they market it in a way that makes novice golfers believe that the equipment will automatically make them better.

MixedBag wrote:

That would be some awesome stats to know.
    Titleist Pro V1x
  • apex17apex17 Members Posts: 46 ✭✭
    It's not the new clubs every so often, it's the prices that are hurting.

For the most part, you are not going to buy a better game. The new clubs may help, but lessons would be a better expense for most of golfers.
    Driver- Cobra F9
    3 - Cobra F9 Tour
    3 Hybrid Callaway Apex 
    4iron Srixon Z U85
    5-G Srixon Z785
    54-58 Wedges- Cleveland RTX4
    Putter- EVNROLL ER3
    Balls- Srixon ZStar XV
  • evansmar004evansmar004 Members Posts: 76
    I also think that people are getting smarter about it though too. Watch any review by credible sources on youtube and you see that technology hasn't changed equipment enough to make a difference in recent time. Mark Crossfield, Rick Shiels, Me and My Golf...any of them show how the club isn't doing anything new. Marketing only and people are learning that.
  • leopoldstotchleopoldstotch Members Posts: 356 ✭✭
    I think one of the great things of these products coming out so frequently is that we as consumers get to see more reviews, more comparisons and more drops in prices.

I love feeling like I got a great deal on clubs buying them late in the season.

Who that hurts most is the OEM themselves and the middleman who sells the clubs. Like most sports, you dont' have to spend an absolute fortune to start playing, so the sport can still grow and more people can play.

Also, the cost of playing at a course and the time associated with it, is what i feel is more of a deterrent to golf than new equipment costs for the average golfer.
    Taylormade M2 Driver (2016)
    Callaway XR16 3 Wood

Cobra Fly Z 5 Wood
    Srixon H45 4 Hybrid

Srixon Z565 5-AW
    Cleveland RTX 3 54/58
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
  • theothertwotheothertwo Members Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 6, 2018 #20
    one thing i learned, you can't buy a golf game but that has not stopped me from buying the best and latest, i just wait a year until they are on sale. so technically, i am only a year behind in technology. having said that, i could play my 12 year old bridgestone j33 cbs and woods, 905R driver, vokey 200 wedges and an old ping anser 2 and score the same.
    Honma TW 737 455 10.5* Driver
    Tour Edge Exotics EX 10 16.5* 4 Wood
    Tour Edge Exotics EX 10 22* Hybrid
    Miura CB 57 Irons  4-PW 
    Miura 2018 Tour Wedges 52* and 58*
    Ping Anser 2 Vault Platinum Putter
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Are car companies ruining driving by making new cars every year? So far nope.
    WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero 9* | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    '16 M1 Tour Issue 16* | Diamana B 70X
    '17 M1 Tour Issue 3h or GAPR Lo | Accra TZ6 M5
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Bettinardi MC 360 Tour or Ardmore 2 
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,705 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    bkloess wrote:

LifeStory wrote:

Very true. I have no problem with new clubs, just not every 4 months, it seems

Were you guys playing golf 7-8 years ago? The marketing used to be way worse. I find it's actually better now

And in regards to product cycles, they are more consistent at least and clubs aren't discounted as significantly

7-8 years ago a driver would come out and the OEM (for the sake of argument, let's call them Coillaway or TaylorMode) would say it's 10 yards longer than the one before it, and 6 months later it would be discounted by 50% and the next one would come out that was again 10yds longer. I think at one point a 3 wood was advertised as up to 30yds longer

That doesn't happen as much anymore
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/S300
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If the equipment companies did not churn out new products so often, along with the accompanying promotional campaigns, 90% of the discussions on WRX would dry up.
  • mikpgamikpga www.mikedeitersgolf.com Members Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They are not killing golf...

I also think that people are getting smarter about it though too. Watch any review by credible sources on youtube and you see that technology hasn't changed equipment enough to make a difference in recent time. Mark Crossfield, Rick Shiels, Me and My Golf...any of them show how the club isn't doing anything new. Marketing only and people are learning that.
    I watch them all the time, but are the new and/or novice golfer watching those guys or watching the ads for these new clubs?
    Titleist Pro V1x

I think one of the great things of these products coming out so frequently is that we as consumers get to see more reviews, more comparisons and more drops in prices.

I love feeling like I got a great deal on clubs buying them late in the season.

Who that hurts most is the OEM themselves and the middleman who sells the clubs. Like most sports, you dont' have to spend an absolute fortune to start playing, so the sport can still grow and more people can play.

Also, the cost of playing at a course and the time associated with it, is what i feel is more of a deterrent to golf than new equipment costs for the average golfer.
    That's a great point
    Titleist Pro V1x
  • MeanmachinemoeMeanmachinemoe Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 6, 2018 #27
    Casual golfers are clueless. Average golfers know but don't care. Hardcore i.e. WRXers look at the Tour/New Pre-release forum multiple times daily hoping to catch a glimpse or even a rumor of what's coming next. Equipment companies are not killing golf.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 460 10.5* Fujikura Pro XLR8 56
    Titleist 818 H2 17* Tensei Blue 70
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei Blue 70
    Callaway Rogue 4-AW TT XP95 R300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 54.14 F Grind
    Titleist Vokey SM7 58.12 D Grind
    Odyssey O-Works Black 2W SuperStroke 3.0 Traxion

• hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The bottom line is there must be enough people who like upgrading their clubs periodically or companies would not be churning out a new product every year or less. I am the master of myself when it comes to what I purchase and what clubs I play. Do I think it is destroying the game? No. I think it actually makes the game more enjoyable seeing all the different equipment and having the opportunity to purchase it if I so choose. I also think that people put too much hope in the idea that clubs will improve their game exponentially. It takes dedication, lessons, practice, and desire to change your game.
  • DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is expected for each of these manufacturer's to make improvements to their golf equipment each year. Most of us look forward to the grand announcements at the PGA show. No one is forced to buy the new products but if the big boys want to stay in business they need to be innovative or at least creative in their marketing. Are they killing golf nope they are keeping it alive.
  • vernonvernon Hi! I'm Holly! Members Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though I'm a prime offender I personally believe buying new stuff all the time is a relative waste of money.

I say "relative" because if what you're doing with your expendable money makes you happy then how can it be a waste?

And buying golf and fishing stuff makes me happy!

My wife not so much sometimes but that's another topic.........
  • DixieDDixieD Members Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file