2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

G400 Max...Holy Cow!!!

drumdude96

I have never liked the sound of Ping drivers but have heard good things about this one.

It's loud.. every time i go to the range i get a couple of looks bc of the sound this thing makes.

That being said, as others have noted, ball speeds FOR ME have been lower than my Epic or M3. The reason I haven't been able to move on is it's just so forgiving. It's not a miracle worker, but I get away with a lot more than I should when I miss it. YMMV, but I'm happy to give up 10-12 yards to cut my dispersion in half.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Diamana ZF 70TX)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

Trying to hold onto my G400 Max. I need to settle on a shaft, aldila rogue 75x or or ordering Tour 75x. But man TS3 is tempting me...

Granted my strike has been all over the place...perhaps I will just work on that lol

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Sound is nothing. Outside on the course sound is not an issue. Inside hitting in an enclosed stafll, sure. But who cares

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Oh I don't - and I love it. But I did notice it (you're right I was in a stall at a driving range) so I wanted to make sure others had the same thing. Will get it on a simulator tomorrow... unfortunately in Connecticut I probably won't be getting it on the course until April/May. Good thing I have 3 potential trips prior to that!

This is the best looking, best feeling driver I’ve ever hit in my life but I just can’t get the spin down. It’s 20 yards shorter than my old sub zero and that’s being generous. It is a big time fairway finder though. I’ve played 7 rounds with it and it’s almost scary how straight it goes. I’ll look up after a bad strike expecting the ball to be left of cart path and it ends up left center fairway. But I just can’t get by how much it spins. It’s one of those situations where I’ll get to my ball and it will be sitting about 4 feet behind it’s ballmark. I am looking forward to the new lst though. I’ll be very interested to see how it performs. For what it’s worth, I’ve got a 9 degree set to the lowest setting with the ping tour 75x shaft 44.5 in. with a d4 sw. SS is 118+/-.

This is the best looking, best feeling driver I’ve ever hit in my life but I just can’t get the spin down. It’s 20 yards shorter than my old sub zero and that’s being generous. It is a big time fairway finder though. I’ve played 7 rounds with it and it’s almost scary how straight it goes. I’ll look up after a bad strike expecting the ball to be left of cart path and it ends up left center fairway. But I just can’t get by how much it spins. It’s one of those situations where I’ll get to my ball and it will be sitting about 4 feet behind it’s ballmark. I am looking forward to the new lst though. I’ll be very interested to see how it performs. For what it’s worth, I’ve got a 9 degree set to the lowest setting with the ping tour 75x shaft 44.5 in. with a d4 sw. SS is 118+/-.

That much spin on any modern driver in that low of a loft comes down to strike, pure and simple. If you're striking slightly above the sweet spot (which itself is slightly above the center of the face) then you can't be spinning that much. You're likely striking too low, confirm by using impact tape or athletes foot spray to determine your strike location.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

There is no free lunch (yet ?) You have either high MOI or low spin, not both. The first manufacturer to make the club that has LOW spin and HIGH MOI ---------- game over --------- although the other manufacturers will surely follow suit.

However, what you CAN do is find the "right" shaft to kill the spin. For Pros to be playing this club it's obvious they have found the proper shaft,,,,,,,,,, for them.

This is where the MAX "fails" for me. The fitting cart has 3 shafts. Your "Tour" shaft, their stock Alta and the XTorsion. And that's IT. If I can't try an alternate shaft like all the demo options Cally, TM and Titleist offer, I'm out.

I'm not about to buy shaft after shaft til I find the right one and then try to sell the others to get some money back. Oh well.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

That much spin on any modern driver in that low of a loft comes down to strike, pure and simple. If you're striking slightly above the sweet spot (which itself is slightly above the center of the face) then you can't be spinning that much. You're likely striking too low, confirm by using impact tape or athletes foot spray to determine your strike location.

This is my problem too. A little low on face and heel side. My off season game plan...fix this! TS3 had lower spin and faster ball speed...but strike was same place. Nothing is gonna fix my driving until I get strike fixed. When I hit G400 Max out the middle, spin is fine imo.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

There is no free lunch (yet ?) You have either high MOI or low spin, not both. The first manufacturer to make the club that has LOW spin and HIGH MOI ---------- game over --------- although the other manufacturers will surely follow suit.

However, what you CAN do is find the "right" shaft to kill the spin. For Pros to be playing this club it's obvious they have found the proper shaft,,,,,,,,,, for them.

This is where the MAX "fails" for me. The fitting cart has 3 shafts. Your "Tour" shaft, their stock Alta and the XTorsion. And that's IT. If I can't try an alternate shaft like all the demo options Cally, TM and Titleist offer, I'm out.

I'm not about to buy shaft after shaft til I find the right one and then try to sell the others to get some money back. Oh well.

You absolutely can have low spin with high MOI, Tollbros has a thread right now showing that the TM M4, a very high MOI head with a CG much higher than the G400 MAX, is producing high 1k to low 2k spin numbers. And regarding shafts, they are only componenst of dynamic loft and feel, nothing more. The only thing a high MOI head can not do that a low MOI head can is produce insanely low spin numbers at higher lift settings, and even then that is completely strike dependent, as all spin numbers are. I could spin both an SLDR and a G400 MAX with both senior and XX-stiff shafts at anywhere from 1,500 to 4,000rpm based purely on strike. It's not magic, there is no voodoo in the "right shaft", it is purely 100% a numbers game. Strike it consistently in the right place with the correct dynamic loft for your swing speed and you have optimum launch with any modern driver.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Bridgestone 

This is my problem too. A little low on face and heel side. My off season game plan...fix this! TS3 had lower spin and faster ball speed...but strike was same place. Nothing is gonna fix my driving until I get strike fixed. When I hit G400 Max out the middle, spin is fine imo.

Yeah, there ya go. Low and out of the heel is the weakest, slowest spot on any driver. High and slightly out of the toe is the hottest, dial that in and you're golden.

Bridgestone 

You absolutely can have low spin with high MOI, Tollbros has a thread right now showing that the TM M4, a very high MOI head with a CG much higher than the G400 MAX, is producing high 1k to low 2k spin numbers. And regarding shafts, they are only componenst of dynamic loft and feel, nothing more. The only thing a high MOI head can not do that a low MOI head can is produce insanely low spin numbers at higher lift settings, and even then that is completely strike dependent, as all spin numbers are. I could spin both an SLDR and a G400 MAX with both senior and XX-stiff shafts at anywhere from 1,500 to 4,000rpm based purely on strike. It's not magic, there is no voodoo in the "right shaft", it is purely 100% a numbers game. Strike it consistently in the right place with the correct dynamic loft for your swing speed and you have optimum launch with any modern driver.

As a matter of fact I recently tried the M4 and DO find it very forgiving and had low spin numbers. Perhaps TM has found the "magic". I'm still looking into it. As I'm sure other manufacturers are.

As far as strike goes, of course you could get from 1500-4000 spin rate on different parts of the face but we're not talking about different parts of the face - we're, or at least I am, talking about consistently flush contact. You know, that for which we all strive for.

"Strike it consistently in the right place with the correct dynamic loft for your swing speed and you have optimum launch with any modern driver." ???

I've said as much many times but surely you're not suggesting the shaft has NOTHING to do with this equation ? So why leave the shaft out of your "equation ? I have evidence, both anecdotal and empirical that the shaft plays an important part of the equation. The shaft matters - but then you already know that (and cleverly didn't say it didn't matter).

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

hey Val, thanks very much for this post. I had lost quite a bit of distance from fooling around with ball height and position. I went to a taller tee and moved it back in my stance, and BOOM! I gained back 30 yards. Unbelievable how much difference this makes. Many thanks

hey Val, thanks very much for this post. I had lost quite a bit of distance from fooling around with ball height and position. I went to a taller tee and moved it back in my stance, and BOOM! I gained back 30 yards. Unbelievable how much difference this makes. Many thanks

Awesome! I'm glad that ended up being simple. Tinkering can be so insidious because we'er always trying to, and assuming we are, improving by doing it and thus can miss on the incremental declines until you've spent several months trying to *fix* something only to be 20y shorter and wonder what the hell happened. Just keep that in mind, strike is KING when it comes to spin, thats why pros don't have spin issues!

As a matter of fact I recently tried the M4 and DO find it very forgiving and had low spin numbers. Perhaps TM has found the "magic". I'm still looking into it. As I'm sure other manufacturers are.

As far as strike goes, of course you could get from 1500-4000 spin rate on different parts of the face but we're not talking about different parts of the face - we're, or at least I am, talking about consistently flush contact. You know, that for which we all strive for.

"Strike it consistently in the right place with the correct dynamic loft for your swing speed and you have optimum launch with any modern driver." ???

I've said as much many times but surely you're not suggesting the shaft has NOTHING to do with this equation ? So why leave the shaft out of your "equation ? I have evidence, both anecdotal and empirical that the shaft plays an important part of the equation. The shaft matters - but then you already know that (and cleverly didn't say it didn't matter).

If we are truly talking about flush contact, contact where zero gear effects are present, then ALL that matters is dynamic loft at that point. A 975D will spin the same as an SLDR will spin the same as a G400 MAX will spin the same as an infomercial driver. The shaft DOES matter but only to the extent that it influences dynamic loft via how it bends and how it causes changes in your delivery. If your optimal dynamic loft at impact is 12* lets say, then ANY shaft that leads you to produce that is the right shaft, regardless of weight or bend profile or fancy materials. At that point its all about feel. The only "magic" that exists is in each player's subjective feel and that can not be measured, marketed, or quantified on anything other than the individual level. There is no "magic" combination of specs that will produce perfect, or even near perfect results out of the box for everyone. The Taylormade M4, spec for spec and strike for strike will be higher spin than the G400 MAX by virtue of its CG location. If you spin the M4 less then you either have a lower lofted head (actual lofts can vary significantly from the printed ones), you are striking it closer to or above its CG, or you are delivering it with less dynamic loft, or in all likelihood a combination of all three. I guarantee that the variance in actual loft combined with strike inconsistencies accounts for a vast, VAST majority of the supposed spin issues people post about. No one knows the actual loft they are using and very few people truly know where they are striking it relation to the actual vertical CG, which is not labeled on the driver, especially on higher MOI drivers where feedback on mishits is diminished. No magic, just physics.

Bridgestone 

Yeah I hit up on the ball a lot, I add 8 - 9 degrees loft so with a 8* setting I am get launch angle of 16 -17. I have experimented with less LA but didn't seem to add any distance. If you have thoughts on that I am listening

If you hit way up on the ball then the only real option is less loft. A stiffer shaft can help *if* the shaft is contributing any meaningful dynamic loft of its own which you can't really know until you test something else. This is basically what Long Drive guys have to do. In the absence of that, your strike location becomes extremely important because you have to keep your spin down, a low strike will absolutely kill you if you're launching that high. In certain unicorn situations I have been able to achieve 19* launch with sub 2k spin and that is based purely on strike (high on the face). Something like that is what you'd need to strive for in lieu of getting a lower lofted head.

Bridgestone 

I've spent a couple hours with the max the past couple weeks. Launches at least 2 degrees higher to loft than most of my titleist, t.m., callaway and cobra heads. I've hit it with the tour shaft, hzrdus 63 6.5 yellow and gd gp 6x. Its a fairway finder with decent all around numbers. Yesterday the best I could do was 164mph 2800spin and 14 launch 110-111mph ss. Imo it has a draw bias to it and the sound was fine indoor not to loud. These numbers I easily matched with my 905r with z708 fujikura, even a few 13 launch 2400-2600 3000 was as high as I saw. I never had any low hooks or wild mishits, everything was playable with the ping and 905r. I had my m3440 and epic sub zero with me and ball speed jumped 1-2mph along with lower spin rates (low 2000s). M3 had a z708 and epic had a 73xwb. Every once and a while I would loose one stage left or bleed it offline right. With the lower spin heads they just aren't as consistent. For launch monitor golf the m3, sub zero work well but for actual golf I will take the reliability of the 400max or 905r and sacrifice 5-10yards on unicorn hits.

this morning at the SA Open, Louis ImpossibleLastName hit his G400 381 yards, according to the sign. This course isa mile high, but that seems good for anybody let alone a short man missing a tooth ;)

Thats something i've always admired out Louis. He cruises with that smooth swing but has 120mph clubhead speed in his back pocket if he needs it.

How does this thing compare in spin to something like a King LTD Pro?

The Cobra is insanely low CG, I think one of the lowest CG drivers ever made, so on average it will certainly be lower spin. In terms of MOI, its on the upper end of medium whereas the G400 MAX is one of the highest MOI drivers ever made. What this means is that bad strikes down low will be less penal on the PING, but the LTD Pro will be cutting more spin on higher strikes, which will be easier to achieve thanks to the CG. All in all the Cobra will likely be lower spin all the way around, but the G400 MAX will be noticeably more forgiving.

ok, thanks. I thought that using more side tilt and hitting up on it with the ball teed fairly high would take spin off. Appeared to work yesterday anyway but I didn't have a swing monitor to check that data

Hitting up on the ball helps get your launch up but strike is the determining factor in spin. If you had to pick one over the other, hitting down on the ball with a good high strike beats hitting up on the ball with a low one any day of the week.

Bridgestone 

I am thinking about getting the g400 driver on Thursday at Golf Galaxy because they have a 25% off sale and it would work on it. Is there that much a difference to warrant paying an extra $175 for the Max because the 25% off will not work on the Max.

That is the whole point of this thread. Most everyone believes rhe max is that good.

I had some flashes of brilliance, as well as some major inconsistency, with my G400 Max this past season. And there I was out on a freezing course the other day in NJ, and I decided to choke down at least an inch, and lo and behold, much more consistent with the Max. This was almost too obvious, that I never really did this during an actual round. So off I went to have my Tour (65 R) and Alta (55 S) each cut down to 44.25" (1" off the Tour, 1.5" off the Alta), and I think I'll be back on track.

The G400 Max is a phenomenal driver, and any issues I was having was me and my swing (taking into account that I don't get along with long shafts). And I still have my G400 SFT around, which I think might also come to life now with the shorter shaft. I had success (and failure) with each of the Tour and Alta shafts, so I look forward to giving them each a run in their now shorter configuration. I do definitely love the Tour shaft though, so I suspect that will still prevail.

P.S., I know it has been discussed before, but when I removed the grip on the Tour 65 shaft, it is still in fact a UST Mamiya shaft.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I am thinking about getting the g400 driver on Thursday at Golf Galaxy because they have a 25% off sale and it would work on it. Is there that much a difference to warrant paying an extra $175 for the Max because the 25% off will not work on the Max.

Are you sure the 25% will work on the G400? I thought GG excluded Ping products across the board for promotions like that.

Jim

Are you sure the 25% will work on the G400? I thought GG excluded Ping products across the board for promotions like that.

Jim

I was told by two different managers working that since it is no longer price protected by Ping with the price drop that the 25% will work. I wondered the same thing as well before asking them so i guess we will see.