I Think My Golfing Days are Over. :(

wrmiller

The OP has almost 20 years on me, so I admit that I am arguing from a position of youthful privilege...

That being said, I have to agree that you are giving up too quickly. Even if you eschew doctors, I still don't think your golfing days should be done.

Good health is not rocket science. Get your weight under control. Stretch every day. Get some reasonable exercise routinely - vigorous walking is a great option.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

The OP has almost 20 years on me, so I admit that I am arguing from a position of youthful privilege...

That being said, I have to agree that you are giving up too quickly. Even if you eschew doctors, I still don't think your golfing days should be done.

Good health is not rocket science. Get your weight under control. Stretch every day. Get some reasonable exercise routinely - vigorous walking is a great option.

I would agree there are things OP may be able to do to limit pain. But I don't think he wants to, sounds like he is just saying goodbye to us lol.

I definitely think you sound privileged saying good health is not rocket science :)

But you still get a like.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I would agree there are things OP may be able to do to limit pain. But I don't think he wants to, sounds like he is just saying goodbye to us lol.

I definitely think you sound privileged saying good health is not rocket science :)

But you still get a like.

Yeah, I was trying to temper my response with a bit of reality. I understand that there are legitimate health problems out there - things that need to be addressed by health care professionals.

That being said, a lot of people out there just don't do very much to take care of themselves. They expect doctors to offer some kind of miracle cure - and when its not available, they just retreat to their beds or barker loungers.

Excess weight is always the real killer - puts extra strain on every part of the body. Loose 20 pounds and miraculously feel better!

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

You just don’t understand what a bad back truly is until you’ve got one. I shrugged off bad backs for like 20 years as I was lucky to never have one. Then one day, boom, tee shot on 17, third day of a three day tournament and my back (and I) will never be the same. Just like that and I’ve got to walk on eggshells to be safe from that and other injuries. Are there things to do to help prevent? Sure, but prevention is not a cure. Give the OP a break, he is being realistic. Golf is just a game. An addictive time consuming wonderful game. But a game no less...

You just don't understand what a bad back truly is until you've got one. I shrugged off bad backs for like 20 years as I was lucky to never have one. Then one day, boom, tee shot on 17, third day of a three day tournament and my back (and I) will never be the same. Just like that and I've got to walk on eggshells to be safe from that and other injuries. Are there things to do to help prevent? Sure, but prevention is not a cure. Give the OP a break, he is being realistic. Golf is just a game. An addictive time consuming wonderful game. But a game no less...

My only point was if I could find an alternative swing that puts no pressure on my back and allowed me to play, I would exhaust all those avenues before I quit. If none of them worked, then yes, I would certainly "hang 'em up". But not before exhausting all those possibilities. But then again, I LOVE golf. Even if it meant not playing to a level I was at before getting hurt.

From a Jim Venetos pre-set swing that has no movement, to a Brian Sparks swing that lifts the left leg so a turn can be achieved without any twisting of the back, and to everything in between - there might be a swing out there that would allow someone with a bad back to keep playing.

Here are just a couple for people with some kind of physical ailment (and I know there are more out there...)

Long story short, it was necessary for me to take early retirement last year. And I won't have medical until I'm 65, so about another year and a half or so. :)

This has been coming for quite a while now (started more than 10 years ago), unfortunately. Before my short hiatus from golf, I was having more and more difficulty walking the golf course and was oftentimes having to quit at the turn because I couldn't walk any more.

I had to run some errands yesterday and walked all over the place with no pain. And a smile on my face. A welcome change IMO. :)

Man, sorry to hear.

This is a golf site, so I'd typically say "find a fix" but in the meantime if you're in between medical coverage maybe you're doing exactly the right thing... If nothing else giving your body a chance to right itself, whether that's for a couple of months or a couple of years. No reason you can't paper-research the issue in the meantime, but at some point you have to listen to your body...

Good luck!

I don't know your age and don't know if its relevant at all, but working out over the off season could do a lot of things for you. It could improve your health but also strengthen your core so your back issues can stay at bay. I get some people have bad genetics but I have never seen a person that works out properly that will have issues playing golf. Its not like anyone on the forums is hitting balls as much as the pros, so before I get attacked that the pros work out and still get hurt, there is a difference and its the difference between us hanging out on the forums and them hitting a bucket of balls as we speak.

I know someone that didn't play basically all year because of their back but I can honestly saying strengthening your body can do wonders for your golf swing. My brother has improved not only his golf game but he is actually built that his body wont have issues down the road.

I'm reminded of a joke from long ago (paraphrasing here):

Man goes to his doctor and says "Doc, it hurts when I do this". And the Doc replies "Well then don't do that."

FYI, I'm not a fan of doctors. Haven't been for some time. My father was killed by one, as was a good friend. Then, when a doctor friend recommended one time that I "never go to a hospital without having your affairs in order" it kinda sunk in. But I digress...

They can and do kill people. Frequently. Just killed my coworker's mom. Killed a 15-year old kid I knew. Almost killed my dad a few years ago.

Your story is painful to read. I deal with injuries and pain. There are avenues you might consider exhausting before hanging up the game. Feel Free to PM me (no, I don't to medical weed).

Some folks here need to brush up on their reading comprehension.

I love playing golf. When I'm physically able to. I don't like playing in pain though.

I have no medical insurance. Nor piles of cash laying around to pay for doctors.

And as jslane57 said, there are other things in life to do. :)

Why post about this? Most people who start these threads are just looking for a little support and they intend to get back into the game.

JDM clubs have been in the bags of many pros for a long time.. (not opening up that can of worms entirely here though lol) but the list of golfers actually sponsored by these companies is starting to grow. You won’t find the top names playing them for a loooong time however. I’d have to guess that the yearly endorsement deals for the top golfers would leave most JDM companies in the red after operating costs, and the list of golfers who play clubs they enjoy and choose not to be paid to play is even smaller.

Find a chiropractor/Kinesiologist: We test all of your lower extremity muscles to find any obvious weaknesses. Then we give you a golf club/stance you, re-test to find out what's really causing your sciatica. You should have had at least plain-film X-rays by now to rule out pathology, or an MRI.

With strengthening exercises specific to your body, you can become a better golfer, and maybe appreciate your lower back instead of fear it. Look into a Roman Chair for your home. Good luck.

Man goes to his doctor and says "Doc, it hurts when I do this". And the Doc replies "Well then don't do that."

FYI, I'm not a fan of doctors. Haven't been for some time. My father was killed by one, as was a good friend. Then, when a doctor friend recommended one time that I "never go to a hospital without having your affairs in order" it kinda sunk in. But I digress...

They can and do kill people. Frequently. Just killed my coworker's mom. Killed a 15-year old kid I knew. Almost killed my dad a few years ago.

Your story is painful to read. I deal with injuries and pain. There are avenues you might consider exhausting before hanging up the game. Feel Free to PM me (no, I don't to medical weed).

what do you mean? explain how they "killed" these people

Apply to be a greeter at Walmart and take up Needlepoint,,, Or,,, there are some free and easy ideas posted above that may help you continue to play this wacky game...

Docs are crazy $$$ I get it, but knowing the root cause will help you live a fuller life, not just a fun one on the golf course.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Why post about this? Most people who start these threads are just looking for a little support and they intend to get back into the game.

Well, I'm not 'most people'. And I'm not of a young enough generation where I have to log into a forum looking for support. :)

I was simply making a post about my condition and the fact that I may or may not be able to play golf in the future. Life taught me a long time ago to never say never.

And I certainly wasn't looking for medical advice on a golf forum. ;)

I was simply saying goodbye. For now at least.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

what do you mean? explain how they "killed" these people

In these three examples: The first one was given excessive blood thinners and suffered a fatal brain bleed when she got home. This was just two weeks ago. Don't want to talk about the 15 year old, sorry. In my dad's case the doctor couldn't figure out why he couldn't find the stroke that paralyzed my dad. I sent the doctor a written note as my dad lay in ICU on a feeding tube, paralyzed from the shoulders up, informing him that my dad didn't have a stroke, but was probably suffering from a rare autoimmune disorder. Dad had no more than a week left had I not interfered. So, the reader's digest version to this answer - incompetence. I work in medicine. Doctors screw up regularly. Like anything else...there are good ones and not-so-good ones. If you choose to go in as an uninformed customer be sure to keep your life insurance up to date.

yes there are bad and good doctors, just like any profession.

making generalized statements about a

profe

ssion are probably going to be inaccurate and if the amount of incompetent physicians was as high as you're inferring I doubt over half the people who responded to your thread would suggest going to one.

idk why the formatting on the above post is so messed up, I tried fixing it multiple times and it always comes out like that.

I was getting to the point where it was getting more and more difficult to play, lower back issues and bulging discs. You’d be surprised what “proper” equipment can do... I went from 120gr shafts in my irons to 80gr and from stiff to regular flex and my back feels ready for 36 every weekend. Wish you the best.

Sounds like your golfing days are over

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

yes there are bad and good doctors, just like any profession.

making generalized statements about a

profe

ssion are probably going to be inaccurate and if the amount of incompetent physicians was as high as you're inferring I doubt over half the people who responded to your thread would suggest going to one.

idk why the formatting on the above post is so messed up, I tried fixing it multiple times and it always comes out like that.

Don't ask a doctor to fix it.

Odd original post OP. We all are sympathetic, but you have your mind made up to leave the game, defensively I might add. You do have solutions to follow, but if you refuse, good luck. How about joining the professional putt-putt tour. Yes, there is such a tour.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

OP, sorry to hear you're thinking of hanging it up, but glad you've got other hobbies to occupy your time.

What tee times did you have on weekends, and anyone got dibs on them? My back/elbows hurt quite frequently, but I'll be damned if I ever quit playing, even if it means only playing 9 or 5 or just going to the range and hitting a few balls. I can probably even scare up a money game on the practice green if it comes to that, but I respect your decision.

I'm also confused how you could retire without health insurance, unless you were downsized out of a job? Don't get me started on health insurance, as my company just went through "Open Enrollment", and while everyone else's seemed to go down or stay about the same, mine went up by $160/month? I can't refuse it though with a wife and 2 kids.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

OP, sorry to hear you're thinking of hanging it up, but glad you've got other hobbies to occupy your time.

What tee times did you have on weekends, and anyone got dibs on them? My back/elbows hurt quite frequently, but I'll be damned if I ever quit playing, even if it means only playing 9 or 5 or just going to the range and hitting a few balls. I can probably even scare up a money game on the practice green if it comes to that, but I respect your decision.

I'm also confused how you could retire without health insurance, unless you were downsized out of a job? Don't get me started on health insurance, as my company just went through "Open Enrollment", and while everyone else's seemed to go down or stay about the same, mine went up by $160/month? I can't refuse it though with a wife and 2 kids.

At 61 I was downsized out of a job (most of those downsized were older engineers and/or managers), and could not find anyone who wanted a 60+ year old engineer. When I turned 62 I ended up taking early SS. Ouch. (my wife is over 65 so she is covered, thankfully)

It is what it is. :) I'm still vertical, for now, and have many things to occupy my time.

Take care.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

At 61 I was downsized out of a job (most of those downsized were older engineers and/or managers), and could not find anyone who wanted a 60+ year old engineer. When I turned 62 I ended up taking early SS. Ouch. (my wife is over 65 so she is covered, thankfully)

It is what it is. :) I'm still vertical, for now, and have many things to occupy my time.

Take care.

Bye Bye

I started seriously getting back into golf earlier this year after a short layoff, and was looking forward to playing for years to come. Especially since I am now retired.

Then the back and hip issues started. And got worse. I finally had to stop swinging a club about two months ago, as I was having difficulty walking and was to the point where I couldn't even sit on the couch or sleep on my side without some serious hip and sciatic pain.

Now, after about two months, I'm pain free. Weird. All I did was stop swinging golf clubs. I can now walk without pain and have not had any lower back/hip/sciatic issues for a couple of weeks now.

So I guess I'll use the winter months to take inventory and get my clubs and club building stuff ready for sale when we get closer to spring. And I was having such fun with my MP18s. *sigh*

This really sucks, as I have been a hard-core golfer for many, many years. I guess I'll have to bury myself in my pistolsmithing and shooting to make up for the loss. :(

Whoa there buddy, pump the brakes. Job #1 is to consult your doc to see if something is up. Job #2 if there are no medical issues is to look into yoga (don't laugh) and work on your flexibility. You are a long way from having to make up your mind to quit something you love. I wish you nothing but good luck.

This is spot on. I was in the same position as OP and fortunately had medical insurance. Regardless, I would have found the money to get to a diagnosis, the difference the insurance made was being able to then take the treatment.

Referred pain is a medical term which basically means you can experience pain in areas different to the actual cause. I had major pain in my knee which the doctors thought could have been triggered by a hip issue but it turned out the knee joint was worn and I had early stage hip degeneration. I had the knee operated on and 5 years on I couldn't make it round more than 9 holes without being in too much hip pain as things had degenerated further.

The thing is that with proper X-rays and an MRI scan I felt confident that I was being given a full diagnosis I could trust in. Now that might tell you that an operation is the only solution and you might decide that the $ are not worth it if all it gives you at the moment is the ability to play golf. It might tell you that if you have an op now it will save you from needing a more major op costing a lot more $$'s down the line.

Or it may highlight that there are workarounds that will give you 18 holes pain free. Yoga / flexibility could be a workaround, the body is constantly compensating for things and a lack of flexibility in a key area can easily put more stress on another.

So my take is simple, if you can afford it then do enough to feel confident in knowing what the issue is. You can then make a logical decision on whether it is something that there is an attainable solution for or you can choose at that stage to drop golf.

I feel your pain, i have sciatica and stopped playing rounds a couple of months ago, i still hit a bucket now and again and practice the swing in short spells, so L to L or other stuff that doesn't impact the back as much, i'm focusing on strengthening the core and back in the next few months to try and get back to playing.

I know folk say play though and so on, but i just found after a round i was struggling to walk properly, then the next day i wasn't able to do much, it started impacting way too much on everything, the fact is you need to fix the issue, or find a way to fit it into your life in some way.

Argee1977, I think that you are on the right track.

I have had a bad back from golf for longer than I can remember, over 30 years. Now I am 74, play 3X/wk and haven’t missed a day of golf in several years, except for 9 holes a few weeks ago when I tweaked it standing over a putt.

I have learn a lot about backs in 30 years. Early on I did a lot of study, as none of the simple stuff seemed to help. I read a number of books and did a lot of research and tried a lot of things. Here are the keys to what I learned, and absolutely nothing has changed since, as near as I can tell:

First, the really serious signs of neuroligical problems that can become permanent - and that need to be seen right away by a medical doctor - are numbness, loss of bowel/bladder control, drop foot. Back pain, per se, is not one of these things.

Second, there is not good correlation between back pain and back anatomy. There are countless situations in which a terrible back x-ray, with spurs, herniated/bulging herniated disks, and so forth cause no pain, no problems. Conversely, there are countless situations in which the patient has debilitating back pain and a perfect back picture.

Third, of the endless back pain remedies, the one that works best for the greatest number of people is... yoga. I read this in a book that had the best information ever, and it was so long ago that I cannot remember the name of the book. But, in looking back, this book nailed my lifetime of back pain experience better than any other, and what it told me is consistent with more up-to-date sources. From memory, I think that yoga was best, physical therapy and acupuncture were up there, deep tissue massage/trigger-point/rolfing were good. Surgery and chiropractic were similar in effectiveness and were in the middle of the pack.

My conclusions were, and are, as follows:

First, do not normally get a scan or x-ray if all you have is pain. The doc will tell you that you have Anomoly X and this will cause your muscles to tighten from tension (good God, I have Anomoly X, I have a structural problem!!) and make things worse.

Second, physical conditioning - strength and flexibility - are important, the evidence being that yoga and PT work in many cases. I would add to this to get rid of those extra pounds, they just make it all worse.

Third, the causes of back pain, in spite of all you have read and heard, are not well understood. The mind/body relationship is as mysterious now as it was in the time Aristotle - literally. Why do you think that they always have to ask you what your pain level is? Answer: because pain is a mental experience that only you know about, there is no objective test that can tell you how much pain you are having. The implication of this is profound. What it means is that science and medicine can only deal with correlations between physical events/conditions in the body and your mental experience of them. Your doctor can only say that any given back anomoly often CORRELATES with what many other patients report for pain - but often it does not. This is why medicine is so hit and miss on back pain; they are dealing with correlations that may not represent causes and solutions. This is as the root of why so many people are frustrated with doctors and back pain - the deep mystery of the mind/body relationship.

Fourth, given the above, if you have back pain your best approach is to understand what remedies have enjoyed some success with back pain sufferers, try them one by one, give them time, and go to the next one if the first one doesn’t work.

I hope that my long experience of pain gives some ideas to back pain sufferers who read this. I missed one full year of golf with excruciating back pain that seemed like it was going to end my golf days and ruin my life. I got out of it with chiropractic, followed by acupuncture, followed by physical conditioning - that was the worst! I now keep my back strong and flexible. Yes I now have back pain, but it does not interfere with my life and my golf in the least, knock on wood. And great physical condition of my back is crucial to keep pain and missed golf at bay. Even with a “bad back” I walk the golf course, I play to a low handicap, I hit the ball nearly as far as ever (due in good part to modern golf equipment), life is good. It wasn’t always this way.

• Like 1