2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Are the equipment companies killing golf?

bkloess

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing this game since 2000 and it's always been like that every year will all of the OEMs. The first 4 or 5 years of me playing there were real gains in technology driver wise as OEMs were approaching maximum COR and 460 CC clubhead size and that impressed me since one can truly gain more distance. Once both were achieved, the gains were marginal and every year the OEMs had to figure out a way how to repackage the wheel and convince you it's the latest and greatest.

To me there were pretty much zero gains in iron technology. The only thing that changed is that the lofts are getting stronger and sets are now being sold from a 3-PW to a 4-GW with hybrids filling the distance gaps. I wouldn't be surprised if 5-SW sets will be the norm 10 years from now.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I don't think the OEM's or boutique companies are destroying the game at all. I think the selection is great actually. Nobody is forcing anyone to go out and buy the latest and greatest $500 driver. If you have the means to buy new, than the market is great. The amount of used equipment on BST and Ebay is awesome for those who don't need everything brand spanking new. I'm still playing Ping i5's because they are durable and I love they way they look and set up at address, but if I wanted to change I have a multitude of options at my fingertips. That's the great thing about this day and age, the access to new equipment, used equipment, heck even NOS equipment.

Remember, not that long ago one could only buy quality clubs at pro shops, catalogs, and maybe get lucky at garage or estate sales, inventory and customized options were limited. That amount and variety of quality equipment available today is staggering, and you don't necessarily need to break the bank for it. For a golf nut this is awesome!!!

With how quickly the large companies churn out new clubs, do you think that the average golfer is fed up with it? Does technology keep advancing that rapidly that club makers have to come out with a product that is that much better than the previous line? Tell me what you think.

No. The average golfer is not nearly as hyper aware of product releases as the people on this site. The average golfers with whom I play only buy new drivers every 3-4 years. They buy irons even less frequently.

These players don't give a second thought to all the new clubs that are introduced. Do you know why? Because normal people understand that companies in all industries release upgrades to products and they don't get all bent out of shape about it. It's literally a non-issue. The members of GolfWRX do not represent the golf equipment market as a whole. We're a blip.

These players do not buy clubs and worry about resale value; they buy clubs to use them. They also do not salivate over the deals on prior year clubs. After a few years, once the "magic has worn off" their clubs, they go and buy whatever is currently the hottest thing on the market.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

As long as people continue to buy then companies will continue to sell in the cycles they sell at currently. I think most would agree that tech year to year is not changing so much that it is going to send your game to another level. Most of it it look, feel or in between you ears. Most people I know have a bag that is at least a few years old other than drivers. Irons typically 4-5-6 years old. But people are buying so they will keep churning them out.

Golf is my hobby, I enjoy tinkering and coming up with unique configurations. I’m not looking for the magic bullet just having some fun. I for one am glad they keep making equipment.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I actually wish they’d come out with more stuff, more often. I love it. Love the pictures of new gear. Love the forums. Love how prices fall when new stuff comes out. Love reading/watching reviews. I love everything about golf. The wife be jealous.

Ping G430 LST 9* 
Ping G430 5W 17*

Ping G430 4H 21*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 6-L

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Titleist Pro V1 Yellow 

Back in 2008, I bought the Callaway HyperX Tour driver after its first price cut. It won out over six other drivers i was fitted for over a one-hour trial (this was pre-adjustable heads). I could carry the ball about 230 yards with it on a good hit, and get some roll.

The next year a couple of new Calla drivers came out, offering gains of +12 yards. Then came the RazrHawk, with more yards. I bought a lighter-shafted RazrFit, and two years ago an XR16 Pro which works quite well. The Epic is supposed to be better (only + 6 yards on a test), and the Rogue line - haven't had time to hit.

With all the promised yardage gains, I should carry my tee shots 320 yards - but it's not happening!

Am I holding the club wrong? Am I holding the wrong club right? Or, ... could the promises just be marketing hype?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

This is the golden age of golf equipment.

Fitting carts galore. No upcharge shafts abound. Reliable launch monitors in abundance.

Innovation is king, 3 month releases are dead. TM and callway (or the other way around) dominated 2016 into 17 with the m2 and epic. Now it seems the g400 max is dominating. A new chapter in irons has been opened with pxg/790/g700/i500etc.

If golf is dieing it is not due to equipment releases.

With how quickly the large companies churn out new clubs, do you think that the average golfer is fed up with it? Does technology keep advancing that rapidly that club makers have to come out with a product that is that much better than the previous line? Tell me what you think.

No. The average golfer is not nearly as hyper aware of product releases as the people on this site. The average golfers with whom I play only buy new drivers every 3-4 years. They buy irons even less frequently.

These players don't give a second thought to all the new clubs that are introduced. Do you know why? Because normal people understand that companies in all industries release upgrades to products and they don't get all bent out of shape about it. It's literally a non-issue. The members of GolfWRX do not represent the golf equipment market as a whole. We're a blip.

These players do not buy clubs and worry about resale value; they buy clubs to use them. They also do not salivate over the deals on prior year clubs. After a few years, once the "magic has worn off" their clubs, they go and buy whatever is currently the hottest thing on the market.

Thanks for that insightful psycho analysis of normal golfers compared to wrx members. Do you charge by the hour?

I’d love to who these people are that are buying clubs at retail every year can’t be a lot of golfers. Here was my local Golf Galaxy other night and during holidays.

I've been playing golf for over 50 years. In the beginning to the early 1990's, golfers bought a set of clubs once in a lifetime, or until the clubs looked shabby to the point of embarrassment. Then, I guess Callaway started all the nonsense. Price a driver as much as a quality set used to cost. Expensive is better, right. Advertise and hype that all previous stuff is junk.

Compound with many manufacturers and models, pro endorsements, and other BS.

Back in the 1990's, I had a horrible slice, caused mostly by killing the ball. Shark Norman advertised Cobra offset drivers which he touted, "were virtually impossible to slice". Ordered a set of woods, at full retail, $1K, expecting 300 yards and no slice. "Greg, Cobra woods DO slice."

Slowing the backswing, and avoid killing the ball cures the slice, not Shark's clubs.

I haven't bought clubs in a year, and really have no desire to buy more. Last year, I bought a new set of Callaway irons, at a great price, along with a used Optiforce driver. Very good clubs, indeed, but score is about the same. (12 hdcp) Comes a time, probably when older, when one realizes just about any half way well made club will perform as good as another.

Younger golfers try to buy a good golf game, and the manufacturers rely on that. Some older golfers want the latest and greatest for the bragging rights. I was no different.

Now, I just don't care.

I play in a weekly league with 20 to 30 guys in it. Mostly retired guys. Other than one younger guy who like to try all the new clubs the rest of the group plays clubs 5+ years old. I see some sets that look 10+ years old.

From what I see I don't think most golfers change clubs all that often or care or even know about the latest releases. Once in a while youll see a new club or hear a guy talking about his new set but it not that often.

The guys on wrx who are equipment junkies, my self included, are a very small % of the golfing population.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

Fed up with it? No. Recognize that it's silly? Yes.

I actually love the fact that so much new stuff comes out every year because it drives down the cost of used clubs. When I buy clubs, I buy stuff that's a couple years old that is just as good as the brand new stuff at half the price. If the market didn't get so flooded with new stuff every spring, the prices on the used market would have more stability. So I say bring it on. I'll let other people buy up the brand new stuff and I'll reap the benefits as a used clubs shopper.

This thread makes me want to order a new set of irons!! :)

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

if it hasn't killed the game by now, then it won't ever kill the game..... they come out with new baseball bats and hockey sticks every year and it hasn't killed those sports!

Agreed, I wish companies would retain a club model until there is some true advancement that warrants a refresh. It would certainly make fitting, repairs, replacements, set matching, etc all easier. But two things are against us: technology and the world seem like they are moving at light speed right now so I'm nobody to say the new stuff isn't really better, and second, the companies need profit to survive.

I don't recall the time frame but how long were the PING EYE2 irons the only iron PING offered? If you combine EYE2 and EYE2+ it has to be 8 ish years?

Now that said, nobody is forcing us to make the change but good luck with that. If you are a true golf aficionado and WRXer, not getting the latest and greatest could be grounds for getting kicked off of this site.

I myself am recovering...there was a period of 3-4 years when my addiction and OCD lead me to completely turning over my bag 1/2 dozen times. Thankfully I drove myself crazy enough I said enough and over the past 10 years the only two clubs that have been changed out are driver and putter. Wedges, irons and fairway woods are 10+ years old.

I will say I'm finally looking to make a change but for playability reasons, my 10+ year old wedges have no grooves left, I need to go softer and lighter in my iron shafts and I can no longer get my 3 wood in the air off the deck.

I play a very popular public course that everyone plays when they come to town due to it being inside a major landmark. I play with random people and out of towners regularly. Almost no one I play with has new equipment or discusses equipment at all. Equipment not even a thought to majority of golfers. Golfwrx is not the real world. We are aficionados and diehards.