Modus 105 X 2x soft stepped = Modus 105 S straight in?

SvenS3

Hey Guys,

just have a technical Question. I play Modus 105 stiff Shafts (106 gr.) and are happy with them. Only Problem is the weight. I would really like it if they were a touch heavier.

So I was thinking of going X Stiff (112 gr.) and soft stepp them 1 or 2 times.

What can I expect if I do it?

Anyone have any Feedback or tried to do this?

Thanks a lot

Driver: Callaway Epic MAX LS 9* Tensei AV Raw white 60 S
Fairway: Adams Tight Lies Titanium 15* Tensei AV Blue 70 S tipped 1 inch
Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei CK Pro White 90 S

DI: Titleist U500 23* Tensei CK Pro White 90 S / Testing Srixon ZX Utility
Irons: Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo Project X 5.5 / Backup Set: Bridgestone J40 KBS Tour V S 
Wedges: Cleveland RTX RAW 48/53/58 Project X 5.5 
Putter: Mizuno OMOI 2
Ball: Vice Pro

Grips: Golf Pride Z Grip Cord

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people can’t sense a difference in shaft weight if it’s less than 10 grams. Maybe you can. Never know till you try.

The 2 x soft stepped X’s will still be a bit stiffer the what you’re playing now. Maybe that matters, maybe it doesn’t.

I suppose the only posts that might help are from people that have actually made the same switch, which would be a bit rare.

Yes, of course. I'm hoping for those Guys Experiences. Thanks for your Input.

Mizuno Shaft Optimizer recommends the following

1. Modus 105 X

2. C Taper Lite S

3. Modus 120 S

I don't like the CTL and the Modus 120. Had them before and sold them. I will try to test the Modus 105 X straight in on Sunday against the S. But can't test soft stepping.

Irons: Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo Project X 5.5 / Backup Set: Bridgestone J40 KBS Tour V S 

1. Modus 105 X

2. C Taper Lite S

3. Modus 120 S

I don't like the CTL and the Modus 120. Had them before and sold them. I will try to test the Modus 105 X straight in on Sunday against the S. But can't test soft stepping.

If you are playing stiffs and you get to hit X’s straight in, you should know in a matter of minutes if you enjoy the loading and unloading feeling of the X’s.

If they seem just a touch harsh as if they aren’t loading and unloading for you with a normal amount of effort, you will know softstepping is needed.

If they generally feel terrible and lacking any kick at all, you will know you should stay in stiffs.

The problem you really have is that you’ve already decided for whatever reason that the stiffs are are too light. Your brain will almost surely decide that the X’s soft stepped is the way to go regardless of the actual feel or performance. I used to fit professionally. When people make up their mind on something it’s usually pointless to fight it.

After hitting both, If you feel that you can load the X’s without straining, softstep them and be done with it. If you don’t, you will be thinking about it as long as you play the stiffs. 6 grams more weight is inconsequential to the performance and feel of the shaft for most people, but since you now believe it matters....it actually does matter. That’s how the brain works.

I’m sure some people will post that they soft stepped them once or twice and love them. I say Just do it so you won’t keep thinking about it. It’s only money.

1. Modus 105 X

2. C Taper Lite S

3. Modus 120 S

If you are playing stiffs and you get to hit X’s straight in, you should know in a matter of minutes if you enjoy the loading and unloading feeling of the X’s.

If they seem just a touch harsh as if they aren’t loading and unloading for you with a normal amount of effort, you will know softstepping is needed.

If they generally feel terrible and lacking any kick at all, you will know you should stay in stiffs.

The problem you really have is that you’ve already decided for whatever reason that the stiffs are are too light. Your brain will almost surely decide that the X’s soft stepped is the way to go regardless of the actual feel or performance. I used to fit professionally. When people make up their mind on something it’s usually pointless to fight it.

After hitting both, If you feel that you can load the X’s without straining, softstep them and be done with it. If you don’t, you will be thinking about it as long as you play the stiffs. 6 grams more weight is inconsequential to the performance and feel of the shaft for most people, but since you now believe it matters....it actually does matter. That’s how the brain works.

I’m sure some people will post that they soft stepped them once or twice and love them. I say Just do it so you won’t keep thinking about it. It’s only money.

I pissed away a lot of money on clubs with a variety of shafts that were heavier and stiffer than what my club fitter recommended all due to my ego. The clubs failed to perform as I had it in my head they would. After a frustrating season of golf where my body hurt due to over swinging I took my club fitter’s advice to go lighter and softer flexing. Once the Modus 105 S flex won the iron shaft derby, I still tried to convince myself I could play them in X flex. I hit them okay but felt like I had to swing harder to load the shaft which killed my accuracy and had me realize my ego was clouding my judgment again. I settled on what is in my signature below and couldn’t be happier! I’ve dropped strokes off my handicap with this bag of clubs which is awesome since I’ve had a below average season of putting. My body aches are a thing of the past since I am able to make a smooth controlled pass at the ball. I’m making better contact and getting more distance.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

It’s extremely common on this site for people to become obsessed with tiny differences in weight and it makes no sense for 95% of the players out there. Very, very few players are sensitive enough to notice anything less than 10 grams when it comes to a change in shaft weights. It gets even fuzzier when the balance points of different models are not the same.

“I just can’t use a 66 gram driver shaft, I really must use the 71 gram version.” .....No. no, you don’t.

“I think I really need to go to S400’s at 132 grams from Modus 125s at 128.5 grams to slow my tempo.”.... LOL. Only in your imagination.

In the case we have here we are talking about 6 grams between the 105s and 105x. That’s the weight of a quarter. Put a quarter in your hand and Hold it.

It’s the weight of a quarter spread over the entire length of the shaft. It’s tiny. It’s totally insignificant to most golfers, but as soon as you’ve convinced yourself that it matters.....it matters......at least until you can prove to yourself that it doesn’t. That’s why I say just go with it.

Very good Points here. Thanks a lot Guys.

I agree with you, that it´s all in the Brain. And I can tell you that I had all different Shafts and Iron Sets in the past 6 Years (way to many to list them).

My Brain says X is to heavy. So I was thinking of soft stepping or even double soft stepping, just for the Case that I want more weight.

In this Case, I'm very sensitive with Weights and I can definitely feel 6gr. Not when holding the Club, but when I swing it. Maybe its combination of weight in either direction and another bend Point, but I can tell you the differences between Shafts immediately. And believe me, that is not a good Point ;-). I wish I want be able to tell, would make things much easier for me.

I will test both Shafts open minded if I can get there on Sunday. We will see whats happening

I think Tom Wishon posted here once that you might need as much as 4-6ss/hs to notice much difference in feel. This was in regards to making "spinner wedges" though, so I'm not exactly sure how it applies to your case.

From most of what I've seen from very knowledgeable guys here, going 1 or 2x stepping won't do a ton in terms of flight or spin. How that feels... that's unique to you.

Most people can’t sense a difference in shaft weight if it’s less than 10 grams. Maybe you can. Never know till you try.

The 2 x soft stepped X’s will still be a bit stiffer the what you’re playing now. Maybe that matters, maybe it doesn’t.

I suppose the only posts that might help are from people that have actually made the same switch, which would be a bit rare.

but it's still them and not OP....have to try yourself is only way

FWIW... don't know if this would help you or not, but I've tricked my brain into feeling a heavier shaft by adding lead tape to the shaft just below the grip. I don't remember how much it added in regards to weight, but enough of the heavy density thin lead tape to wrap around the shaft twice. Gave my brain the feel of a more balanced club and felt heavier. Dynamically did not change my feel for the clubhead.

TSR3 10º Driver - LinQ M40X Blue 6F5     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Modus 120X

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
Odyssey TEN - SuperStroke PIstol 2.0

Pro V1 

So for everyone who is interested in this. I was able to Test both Shafts.

First of all an important notice. I tested the Shafts in the Mizuno Fitting Cart. Mizuno from now on only gives 7 Iron Heads for Fittings. Normaly they do 6 Iron Heads. But the Shafts will stay the same (all 6 Iron length). Very important is, that the JPX 919 Tour Head, has a hosel with ich way shorter than the MP Line. If you put the normal 6 Iron Shaft in the / Iron Head it should be equal to 7 Iron in 0,5 inch longer. BUT !!!! It isn't. We measured all this Stuff in the Mizuno Performance Fitting Center and the Fitter was shocked, because he don't know that. The 7 Iron with the 6 Iron Shaft comes out the normal length at 37 inch. (Normally it would be 36,75 by Mizuno standard of the MP Line).

So the new Heads will work out, but they would be all soft stepped in this configuration for future Fittings. Only the "old" MP Heads will be fitted correctly by using 6 Iron Shafts for 6 Iron Heads.

Hope you understand what I mean, my english is not the best.

But back to topic.

I tested the Modus 105 stiff (My Gamer) against the 105 X. For me, they are totally different Shafts. Not only that the X feels heavier it it a lot more stable. And it was absolutely no problem to load and unload it. My SS with 6 Iron is around 88mph and with the 7 Iron is around 86 mph.

I tested the Modus 105 X in the 6 Iron MP Heads and in the JPX 919 Tour Head. So normal stepping in the 6 Iron Head and soft stepped in the 7 Iron Head.

You Guys where right, there is nearly no difference in soft stepping feel wise. I don't notice a Difference, and I'm very sensitive to these things.

But what I can feel dramatically is the 6gr. of Weight Difference between the S and X Flex.

I find the X Flex much better, especially if I miss the Ball to the right. With the Modus stiff the Ball went much more to the left than it does with the X Flex. And it loose more Distance with the S Flex because of more curve.

Both Shafts were the same Distance when i hit them normally , doesn't matter if fade or draw.

For me the Modus 105 X is the way to go. I can't decide which Head I want (SC or 919 Tour) and we will do another Fitting with Trackman and normal Titleist Balls next wednesday again.

As a long time DG S300 Player it feels that I get the same, or even better Dispersion with the Modus X. But the Modus X feels not as stiff as the DG S300. I would that, that it feels a little bit softer as the DG S300.

I played and have all the other Shafts you can imagine and the Modus 105 X impressed me a lot. I was always scared of X Flex Shafts, but it feels just right.

Shafts that I have played for a t least 3 Month:

- Modus 105 S

- Modus 120 S

- Modus 130 X

- Nippon 1050 S

- PX LZ 5.5

- PX 6.0

- PX PXI 6.0

- DG S300

- DG S200

- DG SL S300

- DG 105 S

- KBS Tour 120 S

You'll be playing with kick points soft-stepping twice. Something else to research.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Modus 105 x soft stepped once is nice, I had that in my t-mb's for a little while

They don't kick the same as the S flex though

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Hey Mark,

I only would go soft stepping once. Would that be a Problem?

I soft stepped a set of steelfibers I have and even though it may be a very small difference, it is enough to notice. I played a set of OTi 105x this season and had no trouble loading them at all, I actually feel like the steelfibers ssx1 may be a bit more stout in the stiff flex than the OTi in an X and the OTi weighs 10 grams more at 105

Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...