2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best CC Amenities

I don't belong to a CC but I did work at one for close to five years and I have to say membership loves our continental breakfast service that we have every morning in season, as well as our afternoon snacks which can sometimes include soups and sandwiches that they can grab and go.

Top amenities would have to be:

Quality mens lounge; multiple flat screens, large leather sofas, table service for breakfast and lunch, well stocked bar with quality beer that rotates often (for those who come multiple days a week)

Quality foodservice: Menu that is unique for lunch and dinner (rotating menu), above average wine list (variety unlike a normal restaurant), attentive staff that is familiar with members and their dietary restrictions.

**Knowing members and their dietary restrictions is a HUGE one for those CC employees out there, it can sometimes be life or death if you aren't careful**

Quality Golf maintenance; Someone said this above but having a large grounds team that prepares the course EVERY morning is so crucial, it's even more important to have them be nearly done or at least on the back portion of the course by the time the first group is going off. Practice facilities with very attentive staff is another big one. If your range crew is a bunch of high school brunouts then your club image will suffer severely. Practice areas should not be limited to a season, you should have an option (or options!) for rainy days and winter days i.e. multiple indoor bays for lessons and practice during inclement weather.

Finally: Never say No to any member's request, I think that's that biggest "amenitee" one could ask for. Being able to get whatever you want (within reason) is the draw for many people. You wanna go out as a sixsome at 7am sure just keep pace.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a member at a private golf club (not a country club). I have friends that are members at other private clubs in town. The #1 thing that we always talk about and compare is conditioning of the course. To me, the #1 amenity at my course is an extremely competent superintendent and staff. How he manages to keep our club in the shape he does with a staff of 10 is beyond my comprehension.

One of the best things I've seen at a club is a barber shop for their members.

Given that we've had 150 years to get it right, we've got every amenity imaginable, including full-time barbers and masseures. It's a little easier to pull off well with a large and very active membership, of course. There is nothing that isn't available on a whim, but it's hard to explain. It's not an ultra luxurious spa-like experience, but more old school with classic execution, not ostentatious at all. It's almost like walking into a time machine to 1950. Olympic is all about fraternity and athletics, not getting spa-pampered with aromatherapy and New Age music playing in the background. There's NONE of that vibe, anywhere. There's no doubt, though, that it's ALL a luxury....all the time. It's hard to imagine that any of the members ever take it for granted. The only amenity we don't have is warm, sunny weather....but it's part of the deal. It wouldn't be the same without the fog and ocean humidity. The air's sure fresh though!

Funny thing- we've got two very old-school A-list Society clubs in the area; San Francisco Golf Club and Burlingame Country Club (where most of the members also belong to Cypress Point) and neither of them are necessarily luxurious. They have that smell of money but nothing over the top. Both have the same locker rooms they've had for generations, maybe with regular coat of new varnish and paint (that old yellow institutional paint, believe it or not) but, like Cypress Point, they're both very down to earth. The REALLY wealthy don't seem to go in for much of that when they've got maids and butlers at home....ha.

Great thread. For me, finding the right club is like finding the right house to buy, there is no perfect one and all usually involve compromise. Things you love and things you wish were diffferent.

It seems small, but the valet parking at my club is great. Roll up, hop out of the car and into the cart and off to the range or first tee in 30 seconds. The car is waiting for you when you are done.

Ice towels and fruit on each nine is a great touch especially in Summer. You feel refreshed.

No cart girl, but you call the clubhouse and they deliver drinks and food.

Spa like shower and bathrooms.

Mine is a golf only club which is treat itself.

Most of all, pace of play is King. The club recently instituted tee times to accommodate traveling national members which did not go over well, but I just call as I am driving to the course and never have an issue.

Great thread. For me, finding the right club is like finding the right house to buy, there is no perfect one and all usually involve compromise. Things you love and things you wish were diffferent.

It seems small, but the valet parking at my club is great. Roll up, hop out of the car and into the cart and off to the range or first tee in 30 seconds. The car is waiting for you when you are done.

Ice towels and fruit on each nine is a great touch especially in Summer. You feel refreshed.

No cart girl, but you call the clubhouse and they deliver drinks and food.

Spa like shower and bathrooms.

Mine is a golf only club which is treat itself.

Most of all, pace of play is King. The club recently instituted tee times to accommodate traveling national members which did not go over well, but I just call as I am driving to the course and never have an issue.

And, like buying a house, in the end it's what you can afford. The only real amenity my club offers is free tees, and those are only there because they have a local attorney's name on them. But the fact that I can afford it has provided me with at least 40 largely hassle-free rounds of golf this past season. It's a very occasional treat to visit clubs that compete for the players who can afford anything and expect everything. It's a bit off topic, but I really appreciate a club that has millionaire members but can make a working guy who lucked into a round feel welcome and not out of place. It can go the other way sometimes.

That’s true. It seems sometimes it’s a fine line between providing an amazing experience and becoming elitist. My club is not a place to be seen or to mingle all that much. Members are there to play golf and are mostly very appreciative of having a great course, great staff and under 4 hour rounds. I would never join a course that was stuffy or where people joined for the status. It’s not why I joined a club in the first place. To each there own.

One of the best things I've seen at a club is a barber shop for their members.

Given that we've had 150 years to get it right, we've got every amenity imaginable, including full-time barbers and masseures. It's a little easier to pull off well with a large and very active membership, of course. There is nothing that isn't available on a whim, but it's hard to explain. It's not an ultra luxurious spa-like experience, but more old school with classic execution, not ostentatious at all. It's almost like walking into a time machine to 1950. Olympic is all about fraternity and athletics, not getting spa-pampered with aromatherapy and New Age music playing in the background. There's NONE of that vibe, anywhere. There's no doubt, though, that it's ALL a luxury....all the time. It's hard to imagine that any of the members ever take it for granted. The only amenity we don't have is warm, sunny weather....but it's part of the deal. It wouldn't be the same without the fog and ocean humidity. The air's sure fresh though!

Funny thing- we've got two very old-school A-list Society clubs in the area; San Francisco Golf Club and Burlingame Country Club (where most of the members also belong to Cypress Point) and neither of them are necessarily luxurious. They have that smell of money but nothing over the top. Both have the same locker rooms they've had for generations, maybe with regular coat of new varnish and paint (that old yellow institutional paint, believe it or not) but, like Cypress Point, they're both very down to earth. The REALLY wealthy don't seem to go in for much of that when they've got maids and butlers at home....ha.

I was lucky enough to play Olympic in April. Coming from New Zealand where golf is TOTALLY different I must say it was a pleasure. I was paired with 3 of your members who gave me a great day on the course. I hope to accommodate them in New Zealand if they are ever in my area. I am coming back in June and hope to meet up with the gents again.

You sir, are a member of a VERY nice club. The club in town sounds amazing aswell. The worst thing I have done is follow on social media - I get post envy whenever one pops up!

All these post are so interesting coming from New Zealand where you pay minimal yearly fees ($1400 - $3000 NZ) for a year for a top course depending on location in the country. There is one course which has 200 members only, is $1000 a round if you want to play but it includes all F and B for the day and anything else you could think of.

All these post are so interesting coming from New Zealand where you pay minimal yearly fees ($1400 - $3000 NZ) for a year for a top course depending on location in the country. There is one course which has 200 members only, is $1000 a round if you want to play but it includes all F and B for the day and anything else you could think of.

I assume this is Tara Iti?

No, I am not sure of the process at Tara Iti as I have not played it. The course I mentioned above is The Hills. A private course owned by jeweller Sir Michael Hill.

No, I am not sure of the process at Tara Iti as I have not played it. The course I mentioned above is The Hills. A private course owned by jeweller Sir Michael Hill.

Nice.... in the mountain area... i see. Heading to OZ this year and mabye NZ in 2020 or so. I'll put it on my list.

Nice.... in the mountain area... i see. Heading to OZ this year and mabye NZ in 2020 or so. I'll put it on my list.

Tara Iti looks special, for the price tag (last I heard it was north of NZD1,000 but that needs checking) The Hills is not.

If you are in Queenstown play Jacks Point and Arrowtown a couple of times.

For those of you with CC memberships, or if you have some CC experience, just wondering about your favorite amenities...doesn't have to be gold-plated toilet seats or the like - more curious about the little things that make the experience more enjoyable. E.g. club-wide technology that makes tee times/golf games easy to setup and track or tournament styles that are unique, etc. Could be service-related; how members are taken care of, etc.

Always looking for ideas to pitch to ours to not only increase our member satisfaction, but also create memorable experiences for guests/visitors. Any and all experiences welcomed.

- great practice facility (range, short game, putting green, bunker)

- steam room, sauna, showers, rest rooms

- competitive events within the men’s golf association

- easy to get tee times when you want

- fast greens

- Titleist range balls

- no mats EVER on the range

- electric golf carts vs gas powered

- plenty of on course food and beverage service

- fitness center

- good food

- knowledgeable pro and assistant pros

- proximity to my home

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

Tara Iti looks special, for the price tag (last I heard it was north of NZD1,000 but that needs checking) The Hills is not.

If you are in Queenstown play Jacks Point and Arrowtown a couple of times.

You can't compare Arrowtown with Jacks and The Hills nor can you throw in Tara Iti. The complete experience at The Hills is a complete different scenario. F and B is all included, a gift from the course etc.

Arrowtown does not grab me at all but Doak has just mentioned it in his top 10 in New Zealand. https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/golf/109072859/waverley-arrowtown-big-hits-in-tom-doaks-confidential-guide-to-nz-golf-courses?fbclid=IwAR2jSJizbM4lkdzhNCcpetTZb04jocr-NCXkWbTY0INvGASrde3RXLH2Gyw

It's almost like walking into a time machine to 1950.

I was a golf member from 1982 until about five years ago. That was one part of the club that I thought had changed. It seemed to be a "smaller" club back in the day.

On the OP, the amenities that I enjoy at my current place are 1) the pro shop will get you a game on a weekend morning if you don't have one; 2) no tee times; 3) complimentary Clicgear push carts; and 4) good supply of shag bags to use for practice. Happy hour prices on drinks every day from 4-5:30 is nice also. :)

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

For those of you with CC memberships, or if you have some CC experience, just wondering about your favorite amenities...doesn't have to be gold-plated toilet seats or the like - more curious about the little things that make the experience more enjoyable. E.g. club-wide technology that makes tee times/golf games easy to setup and track or tournament styles that are unique, etc. Could be service-related; how members are taken care of, etc.

Always looking for ideas to pitch to ours to not only increase our member satisfaction, but also create memorable experiences for guests/visitors. Any and all experiences welcomed.

- great practice facility (range, short game, putting green, bunker)

- steam room, sauna, showers, rest rooms

- competitive events within the men's golf association

- easy to get tee times when you want

- fast greens

- Titleist range balls

- no mats EVER on the range

- electric golf carts vs gas powered

- plenty of on course food and beverage service

- fitness center

- good food

- knowledgeable pro and assistant pros

- proximity to my home

No mats ever on the range is so unrealistic unless you have a grass tee the size of Texas. Always remember that the mats are there to give you a place to hit on when otherwise the range would be closed.

I played one course that had an enormous men's locker room with a bar in the locker room that was quite big. There was also another bar for the restaurant area.

I've played a few private clubs that stock up snacks and drinks at the turn that the members and guests are allowed to have freely.

One club didn't have a cash register or credit card in the entire place. Didn't even need to know your name. Apparently, they made buffets (and very nice spreads) for breakfast, then lunch and then dinner. If you were allowed onto the premises, you just go to the buffet and get whatever you want without putting it on a tab or paying. I can't imagine what the dues and initiation was at this club.

I've played a few private clubs that use Pro V1's (not practice) on the range.

Forecaddies are always nice if you can afford that sorta thing.

I actually like personalized lockers with the nameplate on the locker.

I always like a good card table or two with somebody coming buy for drink refills and a nice couch with a nice TV in the locker room.

What I rarely see these days...grip installation and club repair (obviously, you pay for the components).

I don't know what the exact deal is, but I know Lake Nona members are served well by TrueSpec which is at the back of the range.

But, other than that I look for a staff that is good at knowing your name (I understand people can forget) and is generally friendly and very accomodating. I like proactive instead of reactive. For instance, I was at the range during the summer, went to the bathroom and it started to pour as I was in the bathroom and the staff member in the pro shop ran out to the range, grabbed my clubs and put them inside before they got drenched. Not that I expected him to nor if they failed to do so I would not have been mad in the least bit. But, it was being proactive and incredibly considerate that I greatly appreciated it and things like that made it feel like my money is well spent.

RH

When I was a member of a club that was mainly golf only, I enjoyed the course itself the most. That was the biggest amenity. It was ALWAYS in great shape and it had a good Men’s group. Fast forward to the club I’m a member of now and I think the best amenities are:

1. Distance to my home

2. Friendly staff (literally everyone knows my name and it’s not in a snobby way)

3. Access to really nice clubs all over the nation (ClubCorp)

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour