Old forged blades

5dogs

Just wondering if anyone out there has a backup set of old blades they still play with for fun? Looking at spending $100 or so and thinking of playing them once in a while. Current irons are jpx 900

Since you're a Mizuno man, try one of the older MX series, forged cavity backed, nice mizuno feel on all shots and feedback on mishits.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just put a set of Hogan '99 Apex blades in the bag, and these are the newest I've ever owned. I've played BH Grinds (awesome to hit), '62 Hogan Power Thrusts (very tough unless you're on your A-game), and Mizzy TP9s (also tough to hit). Nothing feels as good as a well struck blade - especially when you stiff one, give it a twirl and look at its beauty when it goes back in the bag.

1972 Apex - Haven't gamed them, grips are trash but original so not sure if I just want them as bling or game.

1979 Cameos - Played them once or twice, easy to hit

1981 Directors - I gamed these for 3 seasons

1988 Redlines - I gamed these for 2 seasons because Hogan!

MP-32 - This is my third set of these I just like them and can't figure out why I keep selling them.

The '81 directors; how did they play? I think they might be the sleekest design blade I've ever seen, but I've also seen pictures showing fairly strong offset. How do they compare to the more popular/known Hogans (ie Apexes)

They did have some offset and a slight gooseneck which is what old Hogan irons used to move the CG closer to the heel. The feel is amazing and they are very forgiving for blades. They sat very square and cut through the rough great. In the end the grooves are just worn out on mine, maybe I should send them in to get re-grooved and refinished.

1972 Apex - Haven't gamed them, grips are trash but original so not sure if I just want them as bling or game.

1979 Cameos - Played them once or twice, easy to hit

1981 Directors - I gamed these for 3 seasons

1988 Redlines - I gamed these for 2 seasons because Hogan!

MP-32 - This is my third set of these I just like them and can't figure out why I keep selling them.

The '81 directors; how did they play? I think they might be the sleekest design blade I've ever seen, but I've also seen pictures showing fairly strong offset. How do they compare to the more popular/known Hogans (ie Apexes)

They did have some offset and a slight gooseneck which is what old Hogan irons used to move the CG closer to the heel. The feel is amazing and they are very forgiving for blades. They sat very square and cut through the rough great. In the end the grooves are just worn out on mine, maybe I should send them in to get re-grooved and refinished.

Posted this photo on another thread before but I’ll tell you, refinishing can really make a set beautiful. Here are my Radials. Directors would look even better.

Backup set? I have backups for the backups and spare backups. My kids have backup blade sets, and only one of them plays much. I played Mizuno MS203s primarily for many years but have MP29s, MS11s, several sets of TZoid ProII irons, along with a nice set of TP19s. And Mp62s, 63s and 30s, none of which technically fit the definition. I think there is a Mac Combo set down there in the basement somewhere as well.

MP29s would be a nice match or pairing vis-a-vis the JPX900s.

Whiz I should have maybe made it more clearer and stated the Muirfields are my main back up set since I have 9 full sets of Macgregor blades and 3 sets of Hogan blades not counting my MP-68 blades and my KZG CB Forged Blades and my 2013 Callaway Forged X CBs. But the Muirfields are my main back ups :taunt:

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Backup set? I have backups for the backups and spare backups. My kids have backup blade sets, and only one of them plays much. I played Mizuno MS203s primarily for many years but have MP29s, MS11s, several sets of TZoid ProII irons, along with a nice set of TP19s. And Mp62s, 63s and 30s, none of which technically fit the definition. I think there is a Mac Combo set down there in the basement somewhere as well.

MP29s would be a nice match or pairing vis-a-vis the JPX900s.

Whiz I should have maybe made it more clearer and stated the Muirfields are my main back up set since I have 9 full sets of Macgregor blades and 3 sets of Hogan blades not counting my MP-68 blades and my KZG CB Forged Blades and my 2013 Callaway Forged X CBs. But the Muirfields are my main back ups :taunt:

A true WRX man

Multiple back-ups for his back-ups

Old blade set:

91-97 Titleist Tour Model Blades 3-PW

Wow. That is just such a gorgeous club. Makes all the new tech look ridiculous.

It seems so easy to me to make a clean, functional, and beautiful golf club. The 681 were almost there. If they’d take the “forged” stamp off, it’d be pure.

I think those were made in the period where a lot of companies were making cast clubs even some blades--- The fine folks at Titleist wanted everyone to know that they had not drank the current Kool Aid and still made FORGED blade irons

I own too many to count but generally am a fan of 90's-2k era blades. Maruman CX 41 is mainstay, backup are Norman Signatures, 681's, 99 Apex and FG 59's. Have 2 other sets of Maruman's, extra 99's a TP 2000(TN87), 962B, that need shafts. About 1/2 dozen more I will move because I am not interested in re-shaft job and need to clean house.

Old blade set:

It seems so easy to me to make a clean, functional, and beautiful golf club. The 681 were almost there. If they’d take the “forged” stamp off, it’d be pure.

I think those were made in the period where a lot of companies were making cast clubs even some blades--- The fine folks at Titleist wanted everyone to know that they had not drank the current Kool Aid and still made FORGED blade irons

In those days, Titleist were taking a lot of heat for not producing forged clubs, with Mr Woods being their top man. This was the era of the 962/962b, the 981s, to the 990s, when everything they did was cast. Part of this was said to be due to their Tour Models of the 90s, and possibly 80s, not being particularly well regarded (I have to point out this is info I picked up second hand on GEA in its prime). They certainly were slow to try capitalizing on the Tiger train.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "forged" on the backpack was a response to that. LOL

Edited to add: the 90s were also the era of the Oversized Iron trend. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Just wondering if anyone out there has a backup set of old blades they still play with for fun? Looking at spending $100 or so and thinking of playing them once in a while. Current irons are jpx 900

I have a beautiful set of Haig Ultra 385 contour sole irons I bring out once or twice a year. They have the original leather grips, which need to be replaced. But I can’t bring myself to alter them from their original condition.

I have a beautiful set of Haig Ultra 385 contour sole irons I bring out once or twice a year. They have the original leather grips, which need to be replaced. But I can’t bring myself to alter them from their original condition.

A possible restorative solution to save those leather grips. Perform a thorough cleaning using saddle soap. Perhaps other leather cleaners would work, I just have always used saddle soap. Allow them to dry completely. Then apply a liberal coating of Lexol Leather Conditioner (found at auto parts stores) with a rag. Allow to dry, repeat if necessary (typically apply 2x). I've reconditioned 60+ year old Mac grips in this manner and have been amazed how well they turn out. Recondition rather than replace, especially with classic leather.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Old blade set:

In those days, Titleist were taking a lot of heat for not producing forged clubs, with Mr Woods being their top man. This was the era of the 962/962b, the 981s, to the 990s, when everything they did was cast. Part of this was said to be due to their Tour Models of the 90s, and possibly 80s, not being particularly well regarded (I have to point out this is info I picked up second hand on GEA in its prime). They certainly were slow to try capitalizing on the Tiger train.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "forged" on the backpack was a response to that. LOL

Edited to add: the 90s were also the era of the Oversized Iron trend. ;)

NRJyzr-

Titleist was even slower when it came to making LH equipment.

Won't say what their rep said to me in the early '80s, but it was something one never forgets.

Just sold my 716s and put the trusty MP-14s back in the bag while I talk myself into a new set. It’s been awhile since I have played them regularly and it has been fun. I have had this set since I was 14 so I’ll never let them go, but they can be had on eBay for next to nothing. At some point every year I threaten putting new shafts in them but have yet to pull the trigger.

Well - "for fun" means every time I play so, yes, I do play my MP-32s all the time. Prior to this past season, I was playing with Ram Tour Grinds.

Keep us updated on how your experiment goes!

Were the Rams as solid as they look?

Whats in the Bag:
Srixon Zx7 MKII 10.5* set to 11.5* with 44" Dynamic Gold X100
Srixon Zx7 MKII 15* Fairway set to 16* with Hazrdous Stiff Graphite

Srixon Zx7 MKII 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour Prototype 85 Stiff Graphite
Srixon Zx7 4-PW with KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 50-54-58* Mid Grind Wedges with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner Shafts

Cleveland Frontline Elite CERO Putter
Intelligent Design TRUST Milled Putter 

NRJyzr-

Titleist was even slower when it came to making LH equipment.

Won't say what their rep said to me in the early '80s, but it was something one never forgets.

I'm amazed more folks haven't seen through them. It's like the Fonz said, "bull makes the world go round."

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Well - "for fun" means every time I play so, yes, I do play my MP-32s all the time. Prior to this past season, I was playing with Ram Tour Grinds.

Keep us updated on how your experiment goes!

Were the Rams as solid as they look?

I'm completely biased, but Ram Tour Grinds are only awesome. :pimp:

They have a crisper feel than something like Mizuno or the more recent Cobras. They tend to be more like the classic Hogan feel, but are softer than Hogans (I'm thinking Apex/Apex II/Redlines, FWIW). There are also a few different models, that each have subtle variations, and on top of those are the special grinds, like Camber Sole models, TW Customs, TW276, and TW282. (a side note, the TW Custom Grinds are very similar to the TW282, with a very square toe)

Options are not a bad thing. :)

Just sold my 716s and put the trusty MP-14s back in the bag while I talk myself into a new set. It's been awhile since I have played them regularly and it has been fun. I have had this set since I was 14 so I'll never let them go, but they can be had on eBay for next to nothing. At some point every year I threaten putting new shafts in them but have yet to pull the trigger.

Trust me on this if you are getting a little long on the tooth as I am a shaft replacement will wake those clubs up for you. I know I resisted on the Macs some but it got where I could not hit those stiff Brunswick shafts any more I made the change. About 6 years ago I reshafted my original VIPs with some TT S-300 High Launch which was a soft tipped shaft. Later on I re discovered a old school trick thanks to Mitchell and went to using Hogan Apex shafts in the Macs. Right now and it is sorta a put down (in my eyes anyhow) due to a nagging back issue I am swinging a set of Forged KZG CB blades with graphite (80 gram) shafts. But I hit them well and most important my back does not hurt. More than likely in the future I will find a set of graphite shafts to experiment with and put them in my other set of Muirfields.I do not want to break down my VIPs or other Muirfields because they hit so darn good.

I usually play these a couple of times a year. Just about the same age as I am!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I usually play these a couple of times a year. Just about the same age as I am!

BT

Wow. Marvelous set of classic Mac wood and blade. Those RMT's are fantastic. When those come out for play, one can take a certain pride in knowing that no one else will be "gaming" a similar WITB on the day. Perhaps anywhere. Therein lies the attraction.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I picked these up for $25 cdn 2-pw. Man they look and feel good. Brunswick 6.5 in them.

Man...I got ripped off...I paid $40 CDN for a 3-PW of Ram Tour Grind Axials with DG R300s.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Where do you guys find these deals in Canadaland? I'd love to have a bag of persimmons and old blades for messing around with on occasion.

You have to go to used sports equipment stores often, or this set above I found at a golf garage sale they put on in edmonton every december in a big warehouse. 4-6 courses put everything they want to sell in a big lot both new and used. They had tons of clothing clubs, demo clubs, balls, shoes. I can't even buy a case of beer up here for the price of those ram irons. Basically right place right time. Also one of our local shops has some used clubs on sale every November when sales are slow and the snow flies. If you fish around and get to know these places they inform me if they have something they know I'd want. Irons or drivers a few years old or many years old with X flex are tough sells so many times they give them to me at there cost. As you know places don't give you a lot for used stuff.

I've got my son's old MP-14 Mizuno blades in the closet. Great for iffy ranges where I don't want any rocks marking my MP-18s. Not sure if $100 bucks will scored a decent set of MP-14s though. They still pretty darn sweet I have to say, distance, control, feel all on par with the MP-18.