Easier to hit "Player's Irons"?

lazyjc4

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. A bunch of makes/models I hadn't considered before that I'm going to have to look at.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't switch. You already have one of the easiest to hit players irons in your bag.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. Want max forgiveness in a players iron. Basically a Z545 with a bit longer heel to toe, a bit taller face, straight leading edge, very low offset, and retain 18-20 degree vsole for every iron. The CBX irons bent 2 degrees weak are close but dont quite fit the bill. If they made the above irons they would fall into J40DPC legendary status. The Nike Vapor Fly irons are a good low offset iron for its size. Toplines are a bit chunky in the 4-7 though.

The TM irons always have a great shape at address, but I'm married to the Vsole now..

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

The Wilson V6 irons are awesome! Also the C300 Forged irons are incredible as well. One of those sets will be my next irons!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

The Wilson V6 irons are awesome! Also the C300 Forged irons are incredible as well. One of those sets will be my next irons!

Agreed that WS makes some great irons! I've got a set of FG Tour V4's that are my standby set. Basically they're the AP2's but a touch smaller from heel to toe (at least that's in my eyes).

A buddy of mine was considering V6's then transition to C300 forged.

For my experience, I love my xtd forged but they're getting harder to find so if you can't find a good set of those, look at Wilson. You'd be surprised how great they feel and how well they perform. Plus they're not too awful on the bank account!

Another set would be the Nike covert forged. I'm a lefty so I never tried them but boy are they great looking!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

You just need to find middle of face.

Start hovering the club over the ball. And go to the range with some foot spray.

1. Fix your strike...new irons wont improve performance.

2. Get a lesson. Probably a small fix is only needed.

3. Have person doing lesson confirm length and lie

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

The length and lie made an impactful improvement on the quality and consistency of my strikes. It’s quality assurance knowing that I can put on my swing and the equipment will conform.

You just need to find middle of face.

Start hovering the club over the ball. And go to the range with some foot spray.

1. Fix your strike...new irons wont improve performance.

2. Get a lesson. Probably a small fix is only needed.

3. Have person doing lesson confirm length and lie

Since I'm biased for older irons, my 845s fit the bill for me. But since their topline is a little thicker than most would like to see and their offset would really turn you off, then I suggest the Maxfli Revolution Black dots. Very little offset, blade-like length, thin topline, soft feeling as hell and plenty forgiving (even more forgiving than the Midsized Red dots which I also have a set as well).

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Looking for some suggestions here, I'm a 6.7 cap whose strengths are driving the ball and short game. If I had even a semi-reliable iron game, I think I'd be able to threaten par from time to time. I hate offset, so I've mostly played "player's CB's", and while I love how my current Z745's look and feel, I bang them out of the middle of the face too often to get the best out of them. I don't mind a thicker topline, or a clunkier sole, but offset is a big turn-off. I've hit the Rogue Pros and I like the way they look, and coming from Srixon, I'm very interested in trying a 5 series iron. Any others I should test/consider? I know that improving my iron swing is the real key to improvement, but I'd like to stand on a par 3 tee box and have a little bit of confidence that if I toe-jam one, or miss it a little, I might be able to still get away with a GIR.

You know, Jeffmont Golf came to mind immediately when you stated that you're 6'7". It used to be named RedBird Sports.

Michael Jordan, Bill Russell and quite a few notables in the professional baseball and football came to them for golf club .

https://jeffmont.com/avian-255-hybrids/

Looking for some suggestions here, I'm a 6.7 cap whose strengths are driving the ball and short game. If I had even a semi-reliable iron game, I think I'd be able to threaten par from time to time. I hate offset, so I've mostly played "player's CB's", and while I love how my current Z745's look and feel, I bang them out of the middle of the face too often to get the best out of them. I don't mind a thicker topline, or a clunkier sole, but offset is a big turn-off. I've hit the Rogue Pros and I like the way they look, and coming from Srixon, I'm very interested in trying a 5 series iron. Any others I should test/consider? I know that improving my iron swing is the real key to improvement, but I'd like to stand on a par 3 tee box and have a little bit of confidence that if I toe-jam one, or miss it a little, I might be able to still get away with a GIR.

You know, Jeffmont Golf came to mind immediately when you stated that you're 6'7". It used to be named RedBird Sports.

Michael Jordan, Bill Russell and quite a few notables in the professional baseball and football came to them for golf club .

https://jeffmont.com...an-255-hybrids/

Sorry for the confusion, 6.7 is my handicap index, not my height. I'm seven inches shy of that mark!

Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

https://jeffmont.com...an-255-hybrids/

Sorry for the confusion, 6.7 is my handicap index, not my height. I'm seven inches shy of that mark!

My cloudiness !

Used the 718 ap2 demo irons on course today. Super forgiving considering the size. Had the stock AMT white shaft and launched a touch low for me. After the round I had the pro rig up an I210 with the kbs tour 120. Didn’t feel as solid, but hit the window I like, and seemed a bit more forgiving.

I was swinging like crap today and had a good amount of shots hit toe side with the ap2. Although I lost half to a full club of distance, the ball still launched the same and still had good spin.

Decisions decisions

Very interested in the comment about the 745s being similar to the 545s in forgiveness. I've been very tempted by the 565s, but might do better with the 765s.

I've not hit the 5 series irons, but my 745 short irons were pretty forgiving. I've clanked 8-PW off the toe so many times and still gotten decent results, but if it happened with 7-5 irons, it wasn't pretty.

Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

Test the Callaway 2018 X Forged against anything, I think

you would be surprised at how easy these irons are.

If you look at XForged MOI, it's bigger than Apex Pro CF16, even Apex CF16: really easy to hit.

Up to RazrX Forged, Callaway forged players iron were manufactured by Endo. I'm not 100% sure for XForged, but feeling is really soft as soft as Srixon 585 and 785 which are manufactured by Endo (Epon)

I would agree with some saying your irons are already a pretty darn forgiving player's iron. I'd do one of two things, or both...

1) Start messing around with your fitting: length, club shaft, lie angle are all things I'd play around with. Somewhat dangerous, don't make it a crutch, but there's a chance it could help.

2) Go the opposite direction and get some blades, even if its just a couple cheap clubs to practice with. Change your focus, get more feedback, could help you start reducing the mishits a little.

Never hurts to play with less tension... easiest way to do that is playing faster I find. Once you know what you want to do (picked your target/shot) just get in there and do it. It just doesn't allow for as much thinking. We all know this, but its easy to forget. Pia Nilsson used to call this the thinking box and play box. Spend as little time in the play box as possible.

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

Where do the Epic Pro’s stand in terms of what type of iron they are? They seem like a confusing set to me. They have a nice shape to them - not a ver big top line or head size, and I guess what you would call a cavity back? Can someone explain these irons to me?

I don’t know which category they are officially in, but the Epic Pros are really nice clubs. Definitely a players iron but I think any aspiring player would like them. They look and feel high end and they are powerful. For my tastes it is my favorite Callaway iron in the current lineup. The head shape and sole are very nice.

They get excellent reviews for being forgiving by those who have tried them. The COG is just right on these, not super low but just enough to offer penetrating flight. The Average Golfer video review is funny — he expected them to be a challenge and loved them, really striped them. The Epics were just priced so high when they came out and they do have an expensive manufacturing process, but nice sets out there now for $750 and less.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches