So will Tiger call a penalty on himself at his OWN TOURNAMENT?

BenSeattle

Tiger didn't "scoop" or "push" or "drag". Officials said he made a proper though abbreviated stroke. So, why are we even discussing anything other than the legal stroke that was initially made?

Because the decision was questionable at best? Of course their decision stands but we can second guess that decision all we want right?

The day you are as qualified as those officials, sure......second guess all you want.

My god man, can you not see the smugness in your post? 99.99% of this board is neither a pro golfer or rules official. so the thread should have only 1 or 2 posts according to you...

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger didn't "scoop" or "push" or "drag". Officials said he made a proper though abbreviated stroke. So, why are we even discussing anything other than the legal stroke that was initially made?

Because the decision was questionable at best? Of course their decision stands but we can second guess that decision all we want right?

The day you are as qualified as those officials, sure......second guess all you want.

My god man, can you not see the smugness in your post? 99.99% of this board is neither a pro golfer or rules official. so the thread should have only 1 or 2 posts according to you...

What I see is people commenting as if they were right there 5 feet From Woods on an absolutely perfect angle when he made that shot. They weren't. So how can they possibly state with absolute certainty that the officials were wrong? They cannot. So second guessing based on personal conjecture or outright bias is a viable alternative to the official ruling? In what sane world is that normal?

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

In the end I understand the need to accept the officials call, but I don't have to like it and I don't have to agree with it. When things don't seem right to me I question them... it's pretty much in my DNA. Sorry if that bothers you.

I'm not aware there was an official standing close by and watching it real time. My understanding is they reviewed the same TV footage which was the best view available and decided the shot was foul BUT that if tiger didn't feel it at the time, it wasn't a penalty as they felt it was not a clear foul in normal speed. It's their call that counts and not ours, but as Dpavs says there is zero harm in having a friendly debate on a golf forum about it, that's what sports fans do about calls in any sport.

TW like

All water under bridge. but I tried Tigers shot about 50 times with ±2 inches backswing. Granted I am not as good as Tiger :-) but there is no chance you can hit the ball and create immediate contact and release with out touching the ball twice. Ball moves too slow.Only a pop stroke or a stab works but then the ball does not go far.

Now there is a ruling which states a strike with .5 inch backstroke is considered to be a push. If the 0,5 inch is a hard condition the rule authorities should reconsider the complete case.

Btw i do not think the Tiger cheated or anything like that but imho he should have taken the penalty stroke. Only to prove his moral authority. If Tiger wants to win in capitals, this was his opportunity.

Just to be clear....there was no crime committed but he should plead guilty anyways? Just to be a moral authority?

The odd thing in this case is that if they would not have shown the slomo front angle at all there would be absolutely no outrage on this shot at all. Full speed from the other angles there have been no complaints about the shot.

Patently untrue.

I was watching the tournament live when he attempted this shot. I was talking to a friend and we both agreed that we were shocked he was even trying it, knowing in all likelihood it was going to result in a double hit. In real time, after he practiced his tiny back swing, it seemed entirely relevant that he would not in fact execute a "legal stroke."

I honestly think this was not that much unlike Phil running down the hill and hitting his moving ball. These guys know the rules and push the edge of what is legal. 100% he was over the line and this was an illegal stroke. Too bad the GOAT blinders were on at his tournament. Considering it happened in 2018, he double hit the ball, the player should have been penalized. But, if he claims it wasn't a double hit it's pretty much irrefutable.

How could you make that determination watching on television and not actually examining the lie, etc. in person?

Should guys not play shots from hazards because there's a possibility they will accidentally ground their club?

Sorry but you're in no position to tell a PGA Tour player what shot they should or should not attempt, based on the possibility of breaking a rule. From your couch.

Could you see a double hit with the naked eye in real time?

If you think Tiger is lying when he says he felt that he played a legal shot (at the time he hit it), then take it up with him or show us some evidence that he's lying. The rules officials were a lot closer to the situation than you and they deemed it no penalty.

Even Tiger Woods can't take a club back 2 inches in a particularly special way. Go out and try it. There was no way the sandy lie was going to help.

In real time, it looked like a scoop. Absolutely. Read the rule again...

If you make anything other than clean normal contact it's not a legal stroke. Directly from the Royal and Ancient 14-1a/4

If a ball is fairly struck at, there is only momentary contact between the clubhead and the ball or whatever intervenes between the clubhead and the ball.

https://www.randa.or...al#alldecisions

Sorry not sorry. I've been a fan of Tiger since I saw him win his second Masters in Augusta. But, I don't let being a fan boy get in my way of knowing what I saw. The argument that the rules officials were so "close" to the situation that they couldn't have got it wrong is laughable.

So, when the official says,

"Looking at it in regular speed on a high-definition television, you couldn't tell that at all. But when you slow it down, you could see where the ball did stay on the clubface quite a bit of time and it looked like he might have hit it twice. But there's no way he could tell that."

http://www.espn.com/...-avoids-penalty

you think they are lying for Tiger and would have given someone else a penalty?

He is very clear on what he thinks so I'm wondering if you think he is either incompetent or a liar? Or something else.

Just curious ; )

I think it's a silly season event that he hosts. And, it's square in the middle of a debate that resulted in a rules change that takes effect in roughly 25 days.

It's more about figuring out where we really stand. I can live with the decision. This is going to be the new normal. As long as you "attempt" to "strike the ball fairly" then whatever happens is kosher.

I'll even back off of the fact that it seemed too opportune with the rules changing for him to attempt it. I think in the Open he would take a drop. Personally, I like a game where a guy errs on playing within the rules and takes the drop. Unfortunately that's not the game we play any longer. Fits the world we live in these days.

Not directing this at you, basic, but ultimately this thread proves for the umpteenth time that a lot of fanboys plainly cannot be objective when it comes to Eldrick.

Also, I will repeat, how ever long his backswing was... he rehearsed it 4 or 5 times during the live coverage, and anybody who has played golf would have said "he risks double hitting the ball right here."

Then, they showed him hit it from the back, like you were looking over his shoulder, you couldn't see jack other than him chasing the ball down the line with the club. Then they immediately showed the face on camera angle where you can tell that the ball is on the club for a long time. 2 + 2 will always equal 4. The irony of all the fanboi's defending him is that he actually DID DOUBLE HIT the ball. This isn't touching a grain of sand in a bunker. Yes, I 100% think he is lying when he says he couldn't feel it. I'd also bet good money that half the fan boys haven't gone out to the range and tried it. In 15 minutes you can manufacture 20 or 30 double hits. Tell me how many times you felt the ball against the club? Twice. Each and every time.

All water under bridge. but I tried Tigers shot about 50 times with ±2 inches backswing. Granted I am not as good as Tiger :-) but there is no chance you can hit the ball and create immediate contact and release with out touching the ball twice. Ball moves too slow.Only a pop stroke or a stab works but then the ball does not go far.

Now there is a ruling which states a strike with .5 inch backstroke is considered to be a push. If the 0,5 inch is a hard condition the rule authorities should reconsider the complete case.

Btw i do not think the Tiger cheated or anything like that but imho he should have taken the penalty stroke. Only to prove his moral authority. If Tiger wants to win in capitals, this was his opportunity.

Just to be clear....there was no crime committed but he should plead guilty anyways? Just to be a moral authority?

The odd thing in this case is that if they would not have shown the slomo front angle at all there would be absolutely no outrage on this shot at all. Full speed from the other angles there have been no complaints about the shot.

Patently untrue.

I was watching the tournament live when he attempted this shot. I was talking to a friend and we both agreed that we were shocked he was even trying it, knowing in all likelihood it was going to result in a double hit. In real time, after he practiced his tiny back swing, it seemed entirely relevant that he would not in fact execute a "legal stroke."

I honestly think this was not that much unlike Phil running down the hill and hitting his moving ball. These guys know the rules and push the edge of what is legal. 100% he was over the line and this was an illegal stroke. Too bad the GOAT blinders were on at his tournament. Considering it happened in 2018, he double hit the ball, the player should have been penalized. But, if he claims it wasn't a double hit it's pretty much irrefutable.

How could you make that determination watching on television and not actually examining the lie, etc. in person?

Should guys not play shots from hazards because there's a possibility they will accidentally ground their club?

Sorry but you're in no position to tell a PGA Tour player what shot they should or should not attempt, based on the possibility of breaking a rule. From your couch.

Could you see a double hit with the naked eye in real time?

If you think Tiger is lying when he says he felt that he played a legal shot (at the time he hit it), then take it up with him or show us some evidence that he's lying. The rules officials were a lot closer to the situation than you and they deemed it no penalty.

Even Tiger Woods can't take a club back 2 inches in a particularly special way. Go out and try it. There was no way the sandy lie was going to help.

In real time, it looked like a scoop. Absolutely. Read the rule again...

If you make anything other than clean normal contact it's not a legal stroke. Directly from the Royal and Ancient 14-1a/4

If a ball is fairly struck at, there is only momentary contact between the clubhead and the ball or whatever intervenes between the clubhead and the ball.

https://www.randa.or...al#alldecisions

Sorry not sorry. I've been a fan of Tiger since I saw him win his second Masters in Augusta. But, I don't let being a fan boy get in my way of knowing what I saw. The argument that the rules officials were so "close" to the situation that they couldn't have got it wrong is laughable.

So, when the official says,

"Looking at it in regular speed on a high-definition television, you couldn't tell that at all. But when you slow it down, you could see where the ball did stay on the clubface quite a bit of time and it looked like he might have hit it twice. But there's no way he could tell that."

http://www.espn.com/...-avoids-penalty

you think they are lying for Tiger and would have given someone else a penalty?

He is very clear on what he thinks so I'm wondering if you think he is either incompetent or a liar? Or something else.

Just curious ; )

I think it's a silly season event that he hosts. And, it's square in the middle of a debate that resulted in a rules change that takes effect in roughly 25 days.

It's more about figuring out where we really stand. I can live with the decision. This is going to be the new normal. As long as you "attempt" to "strike the ball fairly" then whatever happens is kosher.

I'll even back off of the fact that it seemed too opportune with the rules changing for him to attempt it. I think in the Open he would take a drop. Personally, I like a game where a guy errs on playing within the rules and takes the drop. Unfortunately that's not the game we play any longer. Fits the world we live in these days.

Not directing this at you, basic, but ultimately this thread proves for the umpteenth time that a lot of fanboys plainly cannot be objective when it comes to Eldrick.

Also, I will repeat, how ever long his backswing was... he rehearsed it 4 or 5 times during the live coverage, and anybody who has played golf would have said "he risks double hitting the ball right here."

Then, they showed him hit it from the back, like you were looking over his shoulder, you couldn't see jack other than him chasing the ball down the line with the club. Then they immediately showed the face on camera angle where you can tell that the ball is on the club for a long time. 2 + 2 will always equal 4. The irony of all the fanboi's defending him is that he actually DID DOUBLE HIT the ball. This isn't touching a grain of sand in a bunker. Yes, I 100% think he is lying when he says he couldn't feel it. I'd also bet good money that half the fan boys haven't gone out to the range and tried it. In 15 minutes you can manufacture 20 or 30 double hits. Tell me how many times you felt the ball against the club? Twice. Each and every time.

I the one who said TW was playin it loose like takin Chipotle napkins!

You the one who wrestlin with this.

Hey, check this out

I saw this live. Well on TV ; )

http://youtu.be/8MD4yvRDsnE

What I see is people commenting as if they were right there 5 feet From Woods on an absolutely perfect angle when he made that shot. They weren't. So how can they possibly state with absolute certainty that the officials were wrong? They cannot. So second guessing based on personal conjecture or outright bias is a viable alternative to the official ruling? In what sane world is that normal?

Serious question, are you new to sports?

the bolded applies to what you are doing as well. youre doing the exact same thing.Youre not above the fray. if youve ever second guessed an official or rules offical in any sport ( which you know you have because we all have) the comment reeks of hypocrisy. Deferring to a the higher authority doesnt always mean theyre right but i suspect you know this. In the end tiger himself admits he hit it twice but the rules are on hi side.Some believe he lied, some believe he cheated. I dont think he did either but discussing a ruling doesnt require any more expertise than the rules officials because we possess eyes and reasoning and heck sometimes even logic.The only Tiger fan in this thread who hasnt taken this personally is BSC and he as always has a great sense of humor about what went down. nothing persoanl. Have a great weekend

In the end I understand the need to accept the officials call, but I don't have to like it and I don't have to agree with it. When things don't seem right to me I question them... it's pretty much in my DNA. Sorry if that bothers you.

How dare you question authority? back to the salt mines!!! ;)

How is it unnecessary, he cheats and should be called out for it

Lol. It’s about as unecesary as can be. Where is all your disdain for other players with marital infidelities? Why are they getting a pass ? Could it be the hue of the day ? Or maybe the toner in your printer ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Lol. It's about as unecesary as can be. Where is all your disdain for other players with marital infidelities? Why are they getting a pass ? Could it be the hue of the day ? Or maybe the toner in your printer ?

A great man once said "Judge a man not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character.” and if you didn't notice this is a thread about tiger

Lol. It's about as unecesary as can be. Where is all your disdain for other players with marital infidelities? Why are they getting a pass ? Could it be the hue of the day ? Or maybe the toner in your printer ?

A great man once said "Judge a man not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character.” and if you didn't notice this is a thread about tiger

I prefer to try and not judge people at all. But you do you.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I judge people strictly based on a few things like...

musical taste.

Its subjective but if you "love the Eagles" but dont like The Doors. I dont dislike you but Im a bit skeptical.

Order grilled chicken at a restaurant for dinner? Im suspicious.

And if you wear cologne, well, thats a big strike. And if its Patchouli, youre dead to me ; )

I judge people strictly based on a few things like...

musical taste.

Its subjective but if you "love the Eagles" but dont like The Doors. I dont dislike you but Im a bit skeptical.

Order grilled chicken at a restaurant for dinner? Im suspicious.

And if you wear cologne, well, thats a big strike. And if its Patchouli, youre dead to me ; )

My brother. ! Holy cow. I can’t believe how same same that is. Don’t like dogs ? Hmmm maybe he’s a communist ?

You say “ that beers too dark “. I’m going to sit with my back to the wall so I can keep an eye on you. lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock