Anyone Care About Web.com Q School?

jholz

I'm sorry but how many guys will make it? Top 20?

It's not as clear cut as "make it" or not.

Taken from the Web.com Wikipedia article:

Also, starting in 2013, the PGA Tour's qualifying school grants playing rights only for the Web.com Tour.[13][14] The medalist is fully exempt on the Web.com Tour for the entire season. Those finishing in the top ten plus ties are exempt through the third reshuffle, or thirteen events. Players finishing 11th-45th are exempt through the second reshuffle after nine events and all remaining golfers have conditional status. One can also earn direct access to the Web.com Tour through a top-five finish on the Order of Merit on PGA Tour Canada, PGA Tour latinoamérica, or PGA Tour China. The money leader from each of those tours is fully exempt and those 2nd-5th are conditionally exempt.

The little I've spoken with players on the Mackenzie Tour they start to figure it out there, but these reshuffles are all based on your finishes. Maybe some one with more experience than me can speak as to why the tours have adapted all these reshuffles? My .02 cents is that it seems to encourage the strongest field possible for every event. If you have a bad month or two, you're basically starting over.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some that are local to me that are trying. They were junior/high school golfers when I played with them in tournaments . Kind of fun to watch their games grow. I am watching Cody Blick (same alma mater SJSU)

Hope Spencer Levin gets through (played Jr golf with him)

Im also a golf nerd/groupie watching the college standout guys Braden Thornberry, Norman xiong, Lorens Chan etc etc. Also Min Woo Lee lol

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Nice start for Dylan Meyer.

Braden about to smash that

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Some of the Tour Champions guys think the old Q school path was better:

Just days after the PGA Tour confirmed it was developing a program to transition the top college golfers into its tours, some PGA Tour Champions pros are voicing their disapproval.

Olin Browne was the first to sound off on the program, which many are referring to as a "draft." The proposed system, according to a Tour statement, is "designed to reward season-long collegiate play with varying levels of playing access to tours operated under the PGA Tour umbrella."

Browne thinks the Tour should go back to its old Q-School format, in which players competed in a six-round final stage and the top finishers were rewarded with PGA Tour cards. In 2014, the Tour changed its Q-School, offering Web.com Tour cards instead.

"The PGA Tour used to have a pipeline from college to the Tour-it was called Q School," Browne tweeted. "Kids used to be able qualify directly to the PGA Tour but someone changed it so college kids could only qualify for @WebDotComTour. Now they’re trying to reverse that? Brilliant?? Hardly."

https://www.golfchan...ags=golf1308000

https://twitter.com/...774163701301248

He's playing as an amateur, which I still don't get how this is allowed. If he makes it, he's got pro status, if he doesn't he's still eligible to go back to college. Great for him, but not so great for the rest of the guys trying to make it that don't have that fall-back luxury. But as implied in the article I linked in my other post, maybe that gets changed in whatever new plan the tour comes up with.

He's playing as an amateur, which I still don't get how this is allowed. If he makes it, he's got pro status, if he doesn't he's still eligible to go back to college. Great for him, but not so great for the rest of the guys trying to make it that don't have that fall-back luxury. But as implied in the article I linked in my other post, maybe that gets changed in whatever new plan the tour comes up with.

Meh.. If an Am beating you is making your life plans not go the way you want you're probably in the wrong business.

Most tournaments, even full field PGA Tour events are open to different ways to qualify, so an Am can qualify, then no matter if they win the whole tournament or just make the cut, they don't have to take their prize money. 1.4 million has a way of convincing guys to give up their Am status. But, I don't see where trying to get your card should jeopardize your Am status.

He's got status into the Web.com events, taking the money would make him a pro, not playing the events.

Most tournaments, even full field PGA Tour events are open to different ways to qualify, so an Am can qualify, then no matter if they win the whole tournament or just make the cut, they don't have to take their prize money. 1.4 million has a way of convincing guys to give up their Am status. But, I don't see where trying to get your card should jeopardize your Am status.

He's got status into the Web.com events, taking the money would make him a pro, not playing the events.

I also get the sense that some amateur players with the potential to continue playing in the U.S. Am etc. will give Q School; a shot, as it were, and see how it goes. If they play well and get Web.com status, they might op to give up their amateur status. If they play poorly, they retain their ability to play in future amateur championships.

I have no direct knowledge of this, of course. It's just what I have always assumed to be true based on my understanding of things.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Looks like they're showing 135 players, playing 72 holes of stroke play from Thursday the 6th of December through Sunday the 9th. Tournament will be held at Whirlwind Golf Club at Wild Horse Pass in Chandler, Arizona.

Like I wrote earlier, our town will be following Dylan Wu's progress closely. As a Bulldog I'm interested in Lee McCoy's play as a human not so much. After watching his impressive match in the U.S. Amateur finals against Doc Redman I'd like to see Doug Ghim play well. I like Zac Blair. Getting his card back would probably help his dream of The Buck Club getting built.

Anyone from Phoenix and familiar with the track? Looks to be part of a Sheraton resort. Well received by the general public, with 4.4 stars on Google.

I'm guessing the tournament is on the Devil's Claw which is Gary Panks designed and comes in with a 72.7 CR and slope of 127 from the tips. That seems low for this caliber of play. Should we expect these kids to be licking their chops and go low. I guess that's the Web.com way. Ironic, the Cattail Course is rated harder.

Whirlwind is actually my home course. Neither course is especially difficult to be honest. I would say the slope and ratings are a pretty accurate reflection of that. Finals were here last year as well and they tore the place up which was exactly what I expected.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S

Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven CH | KBS CT Tour
Titleist ProV1

Well yeah, that's kind the point, he gets to decide after he knows the results. If he gets a sponsor's invite to a PGA event, he knows ahead of time he's not getting the prize money, because he's not a pro. He can't decide after it's over to become a pro and take that $1.4 million. Here he gets to wait until after he knows the results to make a decision.

Just seems to me if you're competing for status on a professional golf tour, you should ....you know....be a professional golfer.

And don't get me wrong, I don't blame him at all. It's no risk at all for him and he'd be foolish not to go after it, especially since he's already accomplished so much as a college player.

Also seems like he's having a tougher go of it today.

It’s a birdie fest, was last year and it will be again this year. As much as I love each course and am, in a way, proud to see my home course host the event, I personally don’t think it’s a great place to hold this tournament. In my opinion, it should be on a course that has at least some element of danger or a way to defend itself.

Maybe they should play it in the summer when it’s 110 degrees, the fairways are mushy, and the greens are freshly punched and bumpy. LOL

In the Hoofer

Titleist ProV1

It’s a birdie fest, was last year and it will be again this year. As much as I love each course and am, in a way, proud to see my home course host the event, I personally don’t think it’s a great place to hold this tournament. In my opinion, it should be on a course that has at least some element of danger or a way to defend itself.

Agreed - hit it as far as you can and hope you have a hot putter. Doesn’t seem like the best test for pga tour hopefuls. But I think it’s a case study in how the tour is no longer interested in the best tests, more interested in being an entertainment product.

Agreed - hit it as far as you can and hope you have a hot putter. Doesn’t seem like the best test for pga tour hopefuls. But I think it’s a case study in how the tour is no longer interested in the best tests, more interested in being an entertainment product.

It’s the best test for Web.com players. This is no different than a web event

It's a birdie fest, was last year and it will be again this year. As much as I love each course and am, in a way, proud to see my home course host the event, I personally don't think it's a great place to hold this tournament. In my opinion, it should be on a course that has at least some element of danger or a way to defend itself.

Agreed - hit it as far as you can and hope you have a hot putter. Doesn't seem like the best test for pga tour hopefuls. But I think it's a case study in how the tour is no longer interested in the best tests, more interested in being an entertainment product.

It's the best test for Web.com players. This is no different than a web event

It's a little different but not dramatically different, I'll give you that. I don't get what you mean by "the best test" though. Here again, I hate having to make a case against why my home course should host this event, but the simple fact is that it's not a truly great/thorough test for these players, and I'm afraid the scores are the best evidence of that.

I would actually have less of an issue with them hosting a regular Web.com event (which they used to) there versus Q-School. I personally just feel that Q-School should be a more thorough examination of one's skill wrapped within a four day tournament.

In the Hoofer

Titleist ProV1

I remember Pga Q school final stage

guys were shooting around the same scores... but I could be comparing apples to oranges... PGA west vs this course

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

It's a birdie fest, was last year and it will be again this year. As much as I love each course and am, in a way, proud to see my home course host the event, I personally don't think it's a great place to hold this tournament. In my opinion, it should be on a course that has at least some element of danger or a way to defend itself.

Agreed - hit it as far as you can and hope you have a hot putter. Doesn't seem like the best test for pga tour hopefuls. But I think it's a case study in how the tour is no longer interested in the best tests, more interested in being an entertainment product.

It's the best test for Web.com players. This is no different than a web event

It's a little different but not dramatically different, I'll give you that. I don't get what you mean by "the best test" though. Here again, I hate having to make a case against why my home course should host this event, but the simple fact is that it's not a truly great/thorough test for these players, and I'm afraid the scores are the best evidence of that.

I would actually have less of an issue with them hosting a regular Web.com event (which they used to) there versus Q-School. I personally just feel that Q-School should be a more thorough examination of one's skill wrapped within a four day tournament.

I don’t know the course personally but the scores this week are similar to a web week. It’s testing them the same as a web event. “Testing” doesn’t mean difficult. Web tour is a birdie fest..Can you make birdies at finals? If yes then welcome to the Web tour you should do well.

Also, this is a big, big, week. This is the biggest major of the year for guys on lower tours. I would say it’s not crazy to assume a lot of those guys are playing their absolute best right now

I don't know how hitting it real close and making birdie putts isn't a "test" of golf?

There are only so many top tier golf courses, many of which don't want to throw the doors open to the public, especially for a minor league tour stop.

Perhaps better course management and eeking it around Oakmont with the greens stimping 13 is the "real PGA golf" experience, I dunno? A ton of the regular tour stops get pretty well eaten up too. Isn't that what they say.... these guys are good!

They could bring them to one of our local courses. It's pretty long at 7,100, with a ton of bunkers, great shot values 74 / 135 from the tips, but the greens are bumpy. So when we've hosted top level Am's for the US Am qualifier or other tournaments, they still hit it close, they just miss the putts.

I don't think playing 4 days of stupendous golf is ever a fluke. Maybe a one day event on an easier layout would be a problem. But, 4 days? You have to be rock steady.

They host the qualifying stages at all sorts of courses, many of which would be considered tough, and guys are putting up mid 60s every day.

Every round of q school is like Monday qualifying. The low scores get posted wherever they play.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge