LPGA Major at Augusta? Yes, No?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be interesting, though they'd have to play members tees or shorter. Would they keep the greens near as fast as The Masters, that would be interesting if they did.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

You can have any opinion, it's just never going to happen.

How many majors does the lpga need. How bout we just make every week a major then.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Some of the scores guys shoot on that course might not make it a fun follow watching LPGA on that course. I would imagine we would see a lot of men's US open type scores and that doesn't help the ladies grow the game

Nonsense. Not to patronize the LPGA players, but they could manage it purely through green speeds and tee boxes.

I'd love to see Brooke rope a hard hook off the tee on 13 to set up going for the green in two, Charlie have her own Lyle-moment on 18, and Seo Young ace 16. It could be a heckuva event.

And it doesn't need to be a 'major' just a really cool invitational tourney.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Some of the scores guys shoot on that course might not make it a fun follow watching LPGA on that course. I would imagine we would see a lot of men's US open type scores and that doesn't help the ladies grow the game

Nonsense. Not to patronize the LPGA players, but they could manage it purely through green speeds and tee boxes.

I'd love to see Brooke rope a hard hook off the tee on 13 to set up going for the green in two, Charlie have her own Lyle-moment on 18, and Seo Young ace 16. It could be a heckuva event.

I enjoy watching the lpga but when trying to grow the game I don’t think the avg golfer wants to watch even par golf. Whether it’s a major or not doesn’t matter. I don’t doubt they can manage the course via the right tee boxes and slowing the greens down but I don’t think we would seen the top 25 scores all be well under par. Iirc Wie won the US open at Pinehurst with a -2 and the next closest was +1 or 2. Imo that type of scoring doesn’t help showcase their talent.

I enjoy watching the lpga but when trying to grow the game I don't think the avg golfer wants to watch even par golf. Whether it's a major or not doesn't matter. I don't doubt they can manage the course via the right tee boxes and slowing the greens down but I don't think we would seen the top 25 scores all be well under par. Iirc Wie won the US open at Pinehurst with a -2 and the next closest was +1 or 2. Imo that type of scoring doesn't help showcase their talent.

Fair enough. I just don't think viewers care, as long as they are not bludgeoned to death, whether it's 0, -5, or -15 for a winning total.

Maybe I'm wrong and the PGA has ruined the viewers expectations of what wins events, but if you have some classic shots made on those classic holes, the overall total matters less IMHO.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Its a no for me. I love seeing Augusta once a year, its part of what makes it special - to me. Once a year, for one week I get to see how great that place is. Now you want to throw another tournament there? Nope. Its one course I dont *want* to see on tv more.

Besides, the greens, the lighting quick runoff areas, the creek banks - *all* that stuff would have to be dialed down. And then, you're not playing Augusta. You're playing "Augusta".

No thanks.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Its a no for me. I love seeing Augusta once a year, its part of what makes it special - to me. Once a year, for one week I get to see how great that place is. Now you want to throw another tournament there? Nope. Its one course I dont *want* to see on tv more.

Besides, the greens, the lighting quick runoff areas, the creek banks - *all* that stuff would have to be dialed down. And then, you're not playing Augusta. You're playing "Augusta".

No thanks.

Don't watch. "Problem" solved.

F.T.

Awh man, I'm sorry. I thought the thread title was "LPGA Major at Augusta? Yes, No?" not "Only post here if you agree with yes".

Sorry, I misread that.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

No thanks.

Assuming they play from appropriate tees, you believe they'd need to further scale back the course to make it playable for an LPGA event?

Edit - to answer OP, I'd love to see it

Awh man, I'm sorry. I thought the thread title was "LPGA Major at Augusta? Yes, No?" not "Only post here if you agree with yes".

Sorry, I misread that.

It is Yes | No. I was just providing a simple solution for you.

If you don't want to see something, then do not look at it :)

There are some other interesting points here, but that particular bone of contention is really quite straight forward to resolve.

F.T.

It was interesting to see the women play their US Open in 2014 at Pinehurst #2, a week after the men. Similarly, it would be interesting to see the women play a major at Augusta.

But really, why would the members at Augusta want to allow that to happen? They already surrender a big part of their very short season to the Masters, why would they give up more? They really have nothing at all to gain.

No thanks.

Assuming they play from appropriate tees, you believe they'd need to further scale back the course to make it playable for an LPGA event?

Edit - to answer OP, I'd love to see it

Playing from the "members" tee`s the course plays 6,365 yds, I`m not sure why that would be such an issue.

It was interesting to see the women play their US Open in 2014 at Pinehurst #2, a week after the men. Similarly, it would be interesting to see the women play a major at Augusta.

But really, why would the members at Augusta want to allow that to happen? They already surrender a big part of their very short season to the Masters, why would they give up more? They really have nothing at all to gain.

Which is why it likely won`t happen. Unless they played a week after the guys did, like you mentioned.

It surprises me that everyone assumes 6th major or something along those lines. It could easily be a Women's PGA or US Women's Open.

Right, no need for a sixth or IMO a fifth even. Hosting a US Open would be cool.

AN is closed in the summer.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Whether moving an existing major or just having another tournament in the schedule, I think it would be fine to have the LPGA play at Augusta. I don't see where the objection to this idea comes from. Then again, I am not - nor am I anywhere close - to being a member of ANGC.

If there were a ladies event there, I think it would boost interest and viewership. If nothing else it would be another chance to see the course on TV. It would also be a neat point of comparison between the ladies and the men - how they play the course differently (or not) and so forth.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I’m honestly shocked at the ignorance of some of these comments.

To think the ladies can’t shoot respectable scores when it’s set up at a reasonable yardage is laughable.

The green complexes are bordering on insane for modern day green speeds, but certainly top LPGA players can shoot par or better there.

As well as the new women’s amatuer event next year.

Not an LPGA Major, but a Women's Golf Major. Maybe invite the top 10 from (LPGA, KLPGA, JLPGA, LET) and fill the next 60 spots from the Rolex rankings. Or just top 100 Rolex rankings.

Held bi-annually and the year prior to or year after the Olympics (assuming they keep golf).

Place it in rotation with some other great and historic courses (Pebble, Medina, etc.), but ensure that Augusta Nat is on the rotation every 4 or 8 years.

An unequivocal 'No'.

Reasons? Primarily because I no longer enjoy the Augusta Invitational because of the tricked-up nature of the golf course,AN management love to quote selected snippets from Jones to justify the 'improvements' that have been made,in reality they have created something that looks as synthetic as a video game.

Then there will be the inevitable comparisons between men and women playing there,comparisons are especially odious in that context and an event held there would smack of the LPGA trying to emulate,catch up with or surpass the PGA Tour,really quite unnecessary because they have a brilliant platform to work from which in several respects offers a better viewing experience.

Another major seems a bit silly,too many (like the Masters itself...not a proper major) and they lose their value.

With the number of great courses available perhaps geography might be more of a consideration,to take the LPGA to somewhere new and different rather than marching over old ground.

It surprises me that everyone assumes 6th major or something along those lines. It could easily be a Women's PGA or US Women's Open.

Right, no need for a sixth or IMO a fifth even. Hosting a US Open would be cool.

AN is closed in the summer.

They are basically shut down after the Masters. At least they used to be.That would limit the available time frame considerably.

Titleist TSi3 HZRDUS Red 65 
Titleist 975F PX Evenflow Black

Titleist 620 MB 6-PW 
Titleist 620 CB 4,5
Nickent 3DX 17
Callaway Forged +52 and 56
Ping Anser 4

I’m honestly shocked at the ignorance of some of these comments.

To think the ladies can’t shoot respectable scores when it’s set up at a reasonable yardage is laughable.

The green complexes are bordering on insane for modern day green speeds, but certainly top LPGA players can shoot par or better there.

I don't think they can.

I don't think women's golf could hold up to the expectations for dress at AN.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x