Where would you retire to golf?

Most expats are down there trying to save money. If you like the culture, learn the language, and are okay with living the way they do it can be a nice place to be. Crime and particularly violent crime has been on the rise for quite some time. Many of the wealthier developments on the Pacific coast are walled, gated, razor wired, hire security.

You would have to find a particular niche that worked for you. I'd say meeting a gringo that has just moved down is pretty common, meeting one that has been there longer than 3 or 4 years not so much.

For me it would be Hilton Head Island. Wife is in agreement so that's the plan for us.

What is your time frame? There are some SCREAMING deals right now if you plan to retire in the next 3 years or so.

We have a vacation condo in HHI now and are thinking about a home at some point. It will either be HHI or the gulf side of Southern Florida. There are so many excellent golf communities. Maybe to many.

Seriously considering HHI. Time frame 3-4 years. Definitely a private club. Which do you suggest?

Private? Long cove hands down

I hope to retire someday and will continue to live in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Warts and all, I’ve got all I could ever want where I live.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I would do winters in Palm Springs or Phoenix/Scottsdale or Vegas. With my main residence being Arizona or Nevada for tax purposes. I would spend my summers in central Oregon, Bend specifically.

Bend you can easily do VRBO through the winter and make 1/2 to 2x your mortgage easily. You have a ton of fun golf options with a few excellent membership choices. Maybe 1-2 weeks a year over 100 but most time is high 80’s to mid 90’s. A city of roughly 100k people and you can be anywhere in the city in 20 minutes with traffic. Through in some excellent restaurants, brew pubs and a HUGE outdoor lifestyle influence. Think floating the river, mountain biking, camping, fly fishing and an excellent outdoor amphitheater with a great line up every year. And if you want to ski you can hang around into the winter.

I prefer Palm Springs but CA is not really tax friendly. Our friends just retired and joined Mirabel in Phoenix and absolutely love it. A great community.

We just sold our home in NJ and are in the process of downsizing and moving to South Florida full time. We're moving to an expensive area in FL (Jupiter), but still the savings from no state income tax and a property tax bill that will be about 1/3 of our property taxes in NJ is like an additional income. No state tax on my pension, my second income and my wife's salary is huge!

We're renting for our first year but I need to get busy finding a club to join and a permanent place to purchase. I like the heat much better than the cold, and in all honesty it's hot most everywhere in the summer except the northern most states. On the way down here I froze my butt off in Greenville, SC and also in Ponte Vedra Beach yesterday (played Sagrass CC). South Florida, particularly the east coast near the ocean almost always has a nice breeze.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

That is the attraction of south Florida. In HHI/Jacksonville/Destin you get the same heat in the summer but not the warm winters. I happen to like the vibe in the Lowcountry and while it is not warm all the time, it is pretty mild most of the winter. You do get weeks where it is very cold, but that usually doesn't last.

I'm closing in on retirement age, and our plan is to move to the Pinehurst NC area. Good golf is plentiful, excellent health care, good restaurants, a very reasonable cost of real estate, and not far from decent airports. In addition, many people have come from elsewhere, so they're very welcoming to new folks. We've talked to lots of people who retired to Florida, and ended up leaving after a few years to come to NC. Locally, they're called "half backs".

I'm nowhere near retirement age and am looking at property in Pinehurst now! That's the ideal location for me.

I am 45 years old, and have been looking around online for a year, plus I have been doing two golfing trips a year to different areas. I live in the middle of Silicon Valley here in Ca, have lived here almost all of my life, and I can't wait to escape. I will not retire in this state, prices are high, and Taxes are even higher, it's going to get a lot worse in that regard for those of us with income.

1. First, I was just at Reynolds Plantation in September. I did not get to play the private course, and Great Waters was closed. All of the courses were in very good shape, and there was not a bad course. However, none of the courses were particularly appealing to me. I actually liked the Landings the best, which is one of their cheaper courses to join. They have several different ways to be a member, you can be a member of certain courses but not others. The people seemed very nice, and the Lake gives you a lot to do. Not sure this is where I would want to play golf in retirement though.

2. I really like the looks of the Sea Island area. I am going out to Kiawah for a golf trip in April, I am going to spend about 3 days just looking at the greater Charleston/Kiawah areas there. Lots of interesting private clubs, and the Kiawah Island Club looks fantastic. I may spend a few days in Sea Island, St. Simons Island anyway.

3. I love the Scottsdale area, and I would love to do Desert Mountain. I could afford Desert Mountain initiation and dues, but in reading about the club, it seems they have some issues with large assessments, that I couldn't do.

4. Hilton Head area, once again I love it, and I really have enjoyed looking at Colleton River Plantation off the Island. I see that houses tend to sit forever on the real estate market, I assume its because of the high cost of having to belong to the Club. I have no issues with paying it, but I hate the idea that after I die that it could become a noise around the kids neck as it just sits on the market and they have to continue paying the dues..

5. Have played in Bend, skied in Bend, and I think I could really enjoy it. The income taxes are high, but there is no sales tax. I am definitely going to look into this further, Pronghorn looks like a great place to be..

6. I have looked at Texas too, but I would need to do something in the summer, which may be true with SC as well. No income tax is a huge deal as well.

7. I am considering the two different residences issue, I could see myself in Colorado part of the year and either AZ or Tx the other part...

In doing all of this looking a couple of issues I have come across are:

1. Living near the coast on the East Coast, I am a bit concerned about rising ocean level. Would hate to sink my money into someplace like Folly Island or Kiawah to have rising ocean levels cause problems. I suspect that issue won't cause much of a problem in the next 25 years or so, but once again, worry about investing there for my kids sake.

2. I am a public course golfer now, but I want to join a club wherever I go, I figure It is a great place to make new friends when I move. The one thing that scares me are assessments, any ideas on how to figure out which clubs are more prone to assessments?

Great post Don. I think this is something a lot of us are struggling with. While I love the weather in CA, there is no way I could ever live there.

A couple of things in this post stuck out to me. We have owned an oceanfront place in Hilton Head for 24 years. We haven't noticed any increase in ocean levels. I am certainly concerned about weather trends etc but this is being overblown in my opinion. The island always experiences beach erosion, but they replenish the beaches every 5-10 years. Hurricanes are a MUCH bigger risk, but again in 24 years we have been hit once and for the most part we lucked out.

There is no question that real estate sits a bit longer in the HHI area. There are simply so many golf communities competing for a limited population. Dues are high, but so is the quality of golf and amenities. We plan to buy where we are happiest. The kids can figure it out when we are no longer around.

I love the winters in Scottsdale but I'm not certain being one of the most rapidly growing cities is that smart being desert and all.

Have not visited Reynolds yet, but it sure sounds nice. I also like the idea of Greenville SC. The Cliff communities sure look nice.

Kiawah is spectacular and priced accordingly. Probably a tad rich for our blood.

As far as assessments go, they seem to vary by the club. We have been members of a private club for 21 years and have had few assessments and the ones we have had were small. I am sure there are some that operate differently and hit you often. That info should be readily available.

Thanks Hacker Dave. I actually forgot to mention the Cliffs, I have been peeking there. Its a very interesting concept, although prices seem to be significantly higher in those developments than outside of those developments. While I would expect higher prices for being in the resort, the prices may be a bit too out of whack....Anyone have any experience with the Cliffs, I think I like the Keowee area better.

I lived in Costa Rica for 5 years year round. Gave me a good chuckle to see Palm Springs and CR listed in the same post. Nice work!

Your a lucky man then. Love CR and there are quite a few retired expats living down there as you know. Would be a place to go in the winter for sure.

Personally, I would choose Cabo over CR. Cabo has much better golf courses.

I am 45 years old, and have been looking around online for a year, plus I have been doing two golfing trips a year to different areas. I live in the middle of Silicon Valley here in Ca, have lived here almost all of my life, and I can't wait to escape. I will not retire in this state, prices are high, and Taxes are even higher, it's going to get a lot worse in that regard for those of us with income.

6. I have looked at Texas too, but I would need to do something in the summer, which may be true with SC as well. No income tax is a huge deal as well.

I've been retired in Austin for seven years. Yes, you will need to escape the summer heat. We do most of our travel during the summer (Colorado, Idaho, Wisconsin, Canada, etc.). You will have that same issue anywhere in the south and especially on the southeast coast.

There are very few places that have great golf weather year round (Southern CA is the only place that comes to mind) and the costs are astronomical, so you should plan on leaving for either the summer or winter.

7. I am considering the two different residences issue, I could see myself in Colorado part of the year and either AZ or Tx the other part...

That's a great plan if you can afford it. The reason we chose not to is that it would compromise the house and club we could afford. Also, it greatly increases your need to take care of houses. Talk to people who have two houses. I know a few who gave it up after a few years for a variety of reasons.

2. I am a public course golfer now, but I want to join a club wherever I go, I figure It is a great place to make new friends when I move. The one thing that scares me are assessments, any ideas on how to figure out which clubs are more prone to assessments?

Lots of clubs have no assessments because they are not member owned. But if you are concerned about costs, maybe a private club is not for you. Fact: Clubs cost more than public golf. Fact: Clubs are wonderful places to meet people and make lifetime friends.

Am trying to figure this out as well. We plan on staying here for eight months and in the warmer climes during the winter months. Likely, that would mean renting at a course community, and hopefully, with course access and amenities. Will do this until we find a place we love. Right now I am torn between Jupiter, Fl., Naples, Fl., on the East Coast, and in the mountains of the Southwest, Arizona, or New Mexico. Love SoCal, but it seems too costly. One other factor is how far a place is from our home base. Florida is a couple hours’ flight from here. South Carolina, Georgia, even less. But the Southwest is another matter. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks Road King, the cost and time to manage 2 houses is definitely something worth considering. Also, thank you for the distinction between member owned course. I know belonging to a club is more expensive than public, but as long as the cost is relatively stable, the cost shouldn't be a factor.

What are your favorite private courses out your way. I was looking at Cordilera and really liked it.

I would never live in a golf course community. Golf courses and private clubs are struggling today. A failing course often falls on the HOA to support, or goes to weeds, seriously hurting home values. A nearby HOA has been struggling to find a use for a closed course near me. Economically unfeasible to reopen the course. Homeowners are getting HOA fees raised to simply mow the open land and have seen their home values decline a lot in a "golf community" with no golf course. Not to mention the ex-members who lost $50K initiation fees.

My list in this order:

1. Cabo

2. DR

3. San Diego

4..Scottsdale

5. Gulf Shores, AL

6. Hilton Head

7. New Smyrna Beach, FL

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Interesting list...I have a friend who bought a lot in Diamante in Cabo, he loves the facilities, although, I think it was a bad call on his part....Reasons I would avoid Cabo, their government, their police, ad anytime you step out of the resort, you are a potential target. San Diego is expensive place for just about everything...I love Scottsdale....

Interesting list...I have a friend who bought a lot in Diamante in Cabo, he loves the facilities, although, I think it was a bad call on his part....Reasons I would avoid Cabo, their government, their police, ad anytime you step out of the resort, you are a potential target. San Diego is expensive place for just about everything...I love Scottsdale....

We have a place in Cabo. I love it. Spend 4-6 weeks there per year. Go to town all of the time. Never felt even remotely unsafe. Don’t think I could retire there though. I think we’re going to stick with Scottsdale when we retire but that’s at least 15 years away.

I retired from NY to Charlotte, I would not rate the golf as a retirement hotbed as other locations mentioned. I’m trying to narrow down a private club, now willing ( if not eager) to trade variety of courses for better conditions and less crowds. Pinehurst would fit your needs better

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Thanks Road King, the cost and time to manage 2 houses is definitely something worth considering. Also, thank you for the distinction between member owned course. I know belonging to a club is more expensive than public, but as long as the cost is relatively stable, the cost shouldn't be a factor.

What are your favorite private courses out your way. I was looking at Cordilera and really liked it.

I play Barton Creek. We have four courses so that makes golf really attractive.

Depending on your budget, you might look at Spanish Oaks (very expensive) and Hills of Lakeway (much less expensive).

Cordillera is closer to San Antonio than Austin, but it's really nice. I don't know the cost.

We go to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta every year and love both of them. I've never had a problem in Cabo with the police or crime. Cabo has some of the best courses in the world. I could easily spend winters there.

You have a $125k/yr retirement income and want to find a great golf area to live. Where would you go? Florida, Arizona, California, or somewhere else? Would you become a snowbird? Membership, or public links?

if it weren't for the governor and legislatures of california, it is ideal....too bad they keep jacking up the taxes to pay for all the illegals and union pensions....figure on taxes taking at least 30 pct or more of your 125 fund. oh year, sales tax just went up, gas is the most expensive in the us.....If I didn't live here, I would pick Florida even tho the humidity is much worse in the summer.

This is one of the more ignorant posts I've come across on this site and I'm surprised it hasn't called out for its politicization of an innocent question. But since you brought it up, unions and the GI Bill created the middle class. "Illegals" are doing jobs we don't want to do. And if you're going to hate on foreigners, hate on the ones actually taking our jobs who happen to still be in their home countries working in factories put there by American companies drawn by the slave wages allowed there. California is the 6th largest economy in the WORLD and will do fine without your racism. Bye.

Actually, YOUR post is one of the more ignorant posts I've seen on this site and I'm surprised it wasn't called out for calling someone (who you don't know) something as vile as a racists. Just because someone wants secure borders and wants / expect people to respect our counties laws and sovereignty doesn't mean they are a racists.

To bring back a post that was 5 years old to make a comment like that was stupid and says more about you than it does the other poster.

Plenty of time (years) to change our collective mind but Bluffton, SC has us interested. My better half isn't a fan of the desert and we aren't sold on Florida and all the people so the Low Country may be just right with lots of golf, tennis, fishing, waterways, and a less crowded scene.

If you are looking for "less crowded", then don't count on Bluffton anymore. 15-20 years ago maybe. It used to be 1 square mile and now it is over 50 square miles and home prices as well as the cost of living going up. Driving around Bluffton and HHI is a mess today. There are accidents almost daily on 278 which backs traffic up for miles.

I still enjoy it here (I've been here full time for over 15 years now) but the area has lost it's charm. We're starting to look a little farther south in the Pontre Vedra area. Great golf there and you have Amelia Island, Jacksonville, St. Augustine close by as well as Sea Island.

My choices-

1. Full-time travel for 3 years (I have a camper)

2. Destin, FL

3. Ft Myers, FL

4. Eastern NC

5. Eastern SC- I used to have a condo in Myrtle Beach. Sold it and not sorry that I did.

I selected eastern NC. About halfway between Pinehurst and Myrtle Beach. I am a member of a local country club that I can walk. It's about 6500 from back tees with champions bermuda greens and is a Donald Ross clone course. Walking was a big factor. I hate to ride carts. Decided against full-time travel and if we ever decide to take an extended trip with the trailer, we can do it. A pretty good selection of golf courses within a 2 hour drive. I think my routine when the weather warms is 2-3 rounds at my home course and a travel round so golf 3-4 times per week.

I liked FL but was raised in the midatlantic so I like the 4 seasons of NC.

1. First, I was just at Reynolds Plantation in September. I did not get to play the private course, and Great Waters was closed. All of the courses were in very good shape, and there was not a bad course. However, none of the courses were particularly appealing to me. I actually liked the Landings the best, which is one of their cheaper courses to join. They have several different ways to be a member, you can be a member of certain courses but not others. The people seemed very nice, and the Lake gives you a lot to do. Not sure this is where I would want to play golf in retirement though.

2. I really like the looks of the Sea Island area. I am going out to Kiawah for a golf trip in April, I am going to spend about 3 days just looking at the greater Charleston/Kiawah areas there. Lots of interesting private clubs, and the Kiawah Island Club looks fantastic. I may spend a few days in Sea Island, St. Simons Island anyway.

3. I love the Scottsdale area, and I would love to do Desert Mountain. I could afford Desert Mountain initiation and dues, but in reading about the club, it seems they have some issues with large assessments, that I couldn't do.

4. Hilton Head area, once again I love it, and I really have enjoyed looking at Colleton River Plantation off the Island. I see that houses tend to sit forever on the real estate market, I assume its because of the high cost of having to belong to the Club. I have no issues with paying it, but I hate the idea that after I die that it could become a noise around the kids neck as it just sits on the market and they have to continue paying the dues..

5. Have played in Bend, skied in Bend, and I think I could really enjoy it. The income taxes are high, but there is no sales tax. I am definitely going to look into this further, Pronghorn looks like a great place to be..

In doing all of this looking a couple of issues I have come across are:

1. Living near the coast on the East Coast, I am a bit concerned about rising ocean level. Would hate to sink my money into someplace like Folly Island or Kiawah to have rising ocean levels cause problems. I suspect that issue won't cause much of a problem in the next 25 years or so, but once again, worry about investing there for my kids sake.

We have had three different families purchase property at Colleton River Plantation just in the past couple of years. Two sold their business and retired to that area. The other still has a business locally and isn't quite prepared to retire. I assume once he does, he will permanently relocate to Colleton River as well. They already spend about half the year there.