Anyone Care About Web.com Q School?

jholz

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than what you mentioned, Web.com is the only path to the pga tour now. I guess some guys are going Euro tour and trying to get enough world ranking points to get into events and earning tour cards that way, but if they are good enough to do that they wouldn't have any issue with a season on web.com resulting in a tour card.

Bryson DeChambeau and Joaquín Niemann got their cards without entering the Web.com Tour Q-School or the European Tour.

It's not for a real card any more. It just gets you the chance to scrap it out against the hungriest 125 guys on the planet. I SO wish they would raise the purses for web and show more tv coverage.

In 1993, Nick Price was the PGA Tour money leader with US$ 1.5 million.

In 2018, Im Sung-jae was the Web.com Tour regular season money leader with US$ 530 k.

It's definitely not the same, but also not too different.

Other than what you mentioned, Web.com is the only path to the pga tour now. I guess some guys are going Euro tour and trying to get enough world ranking points to get into events and earning tour cards that way, but if they are good enough to do that they wouldn't have any issue with a season on web.com resulting in a tour card.

Bryson DeChambeau and Joaquín Niemann got their cards without entering the Web.com Tour Q-School or the European Tour.

It's not for a real card any more. It just gets you the chance to scrap it out against the hungriest 125 guys on the planet. I SO wish they would raise the purses for web and show more tv coverage.

In 2018, Im Sung-jae was the Web.com Tour regular season money leader with US$ 530 k.

See, this is the thing that I don't get. How do DeChambeau and other notable amateurs get on tour without going through Web.com or Q School? Is it just sponsor exemptions?

I asked this question earlier in the thread, but didn't get a very satisfactory answer.

Regardless, I can't say I am very happy with the changes made to Q School in 2014. It seems like they completely muddied the process. I don't understand the logic of the change, or what they were trying to achieve.

Except, of course, if the PGA Tour simply wants to control the process more - to ensure that their idea of "popular" players make it to the show - I.e. Bryson Dechambeau.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I don't care about web.com Q school.... liked it when it when it was a 7 round (I think that's the # of rounds????) free-for-all

The web.com has evolved into a journeyman tour for those not good enuf for the PGA....don't blame the players because the money is still good and it beats an entry level joe-job ...I know there are still a few young guys out there fighting to get on the PGA tour

I don't care about web.com Q school.... liked it when it when it was a 7 round (I think that's the # of rounds????) free-for-all

The web.com has evolved into a journeyman tour for those not good enuf for the PGA....don't blame the players because the money is still good and it beats an entry level joe-job ...I know there are still a few young guys out there fighting to get on the PGA tour

It used to actually be six (6) rounds for Q School - and I agree, much better format!

or
or

See, this is the thing that I don't get. How do DeChambeau and other notable amateurs get on tour without going through Web.com or Q School? Is it just sponsor exemptions?

I asked this question earlier in the thread, but didn't get a very satisfactory answer.

Regardless, I can't say I am very happy with the changes made to Q School in 2014. It seems like they completely muddied the process. I don't understand the logic of the change, or what they were trying to achieve.

Except, of course, if the PGA Tour simply wants to control the process more - to ensure that their idea of "popular" players make it to the show - I.e. Bryson Dechambeau.

Yes, they got sponsor exemptions into a few events and did extremely well.

Notables that I can think of off the top of head who got some this season were....Doug Ghim, Doc Redman, Jordan Niebrugge (last season), Scott Scheffler, Braden Thornberry.

Those players had very good college careers and were all dead on to turn pro after they were done with school. I would imagine sponsors invite them as a way to acknowledge how well they had played in college and the fact that there was a very strong possibility that they would be on tour that year or following year.

Not true...fact is most of the Web tour are young guys trying to make their mark. Every year there are guys that earn their card that are now household names and world class players....for eg:

2017: Abraham Ancer, Beau Hossler and Aaron Wise

2016:JJ Spaun, Ollie Schniederjans

2015:Patrick Rodgers, Patton Kizzire, Jamie Lovemark and Si Woo Kim...all to name a few.

As the years pass there will more and more names that are well know from each graduating class.

Sponsor invites, which is what was mentioned in the post I was replying to. The “other than what you mentioned”.....

When a young stud is thinking about turning pro, his agent will put feelers out to the tournament directors on the Tour and see what the chances of a Sponsors invite are. Most kids get six or seven guaranteed.

Bryson did this, he didnt make enough to gain status on the Tour for the following season, but he did make enough to get in into that years Web.com playoffs, where he won (the first event i think?) and the rest is history.

Joaquin Niemann got the starts and made enough to get PGA membership the following season (2018-19)...and the rest is history for him.

FYI, was paired up with Joaquin twice this year...the kid is unbelievable, drives it as good as I've seen and can really putt too. I'll be shocked if he's not Top 50 in the world by the end of 2019.

Notables that I can think of off the top of head who got some this season were....Doug Ghim, Doc Redman, Jordan Niebrugge (last season), Scott Scheffler, Braden Thornberry.

Those players had very good college careers and were all dead on to turn pro after they were done with school. I would imagine sponsors invite them as a way to acknowledge how well they had played in college and the fact that there was a very strong possibility that they would be on tour that year or following year.

Yeah, I get that. Sponsor exemptions have been around for a long time - yet, using a "very good college career" or "a very strong possibility that they will be on tour" as a pretense for giving these guys a leg up on the competition is simply wrong. They should be forced to go through the same process as everyone else.

What I see is the PGA Tour trying to manufacture (or engineer if you prefer) customer interest. They are looking for the next Tiger Woods - but the next Tiger Woods doesn't exist. At the end of the day, all they have to market is golf. If they focused on that rather than personalities, maybe they would stumble upon the "next big thing."

The way they are going about things now, they are pretty much ensuring that the "next big thing" will be overlooked or missed. For more on this, see the NFL.

or
or

Yeah, I get that. Sponsor exemptions have been around for a long time - yet, using a "very good college career" or "a very strong possibility that they will be on tour" as a pretense for giving these guys a leg up on the competition is simply wrong. They should be forced to go through the same process as everyone else.

What I see is the PGA Tour trying to manufacture (or engineer if you prefer) customer interest. They are looking for the next Tiger Woods - but the next Tiger Woods doesn't exist. At the end of the day, all they have to market is golf. If they focused on that rather than personalities, maybe they would stumble upon the "next big thing."

The way they are going about things now, they are pretty much ensuring that the "next big thing" will be overlooked or missed. For more on this, see the NFL.

As Outback pointed these guys at least Bryson and Joaquin did is that they proved their worth with what Bryson did to win a web play off event and Joaquin did by earning his card based on his finishes off these invites (which im not sure has ever been done before?)

The PGA doesnt have a say in who a sponsor invites, its up to the sponsor to do what they want with the invites. It's the same as that Colombian dude last year on the web who shot like 100 and people were outraged by it. The sponsor can do what they want because they've put the money up to host the event.

I really don't see the problem with sponsor exemptions. Is there something wrong with the three-time US Am champion getting into 7 events when the season only has two months left, majors over, and he obviously can play?

I'm pretty sure any US Am champion if he wants to turn pro is going to get sponsor exemptions. If your game is good enough to get those invites, and you can crack top 125 in money list in just 7 tournaments, then you absolutely deserve it.

I didn't watch web.com Q-school, wasn't remotely interested, but felt bad for the guy who putted off the green to cost himself a spot. I am not that detailed into what is right/wrong about how to get on tour via Q-school or sponsors. But I do have a problem with the ridiculous purse size and how many exempt players there are. 125 is way too much. Knock that down to 100, maybe less, and open up more qualifying. Get the players who are playing hot in there, not the ones struggling and clinging on to the "cuts made" tour.

I really don't see the problem with sponsor exemptions. Is there something wrong with the three-time US Am champion getting into 7 events when the season only has two months left, majors over, and he obviously can play?

I'm pretty sure any US Am champion if he wants to turn pro is going to get sponsor exemptions. If your game is good enough to get those invites, and you can crack top 125 in money list in just 7 tournaments, then you absolutely deserve it.

I didn't watch web.com Q-school, wasn't remotely interested, but felt bad for the guy who putted off the green to cost himself a spot. I am not that detailed into what is right/wrong about how to get on tour via Q-school or sponsors. But I do have a problem with the ridiculous purse size and how many exempt players there are. 125 is way too much. Knock that down to 100, maybe less, and open up more qualifying. Get the players who are playing hot in there, not the ones struggling and clinging on to the "cuts made" tour.

There are obviously lots of different stories out there, and every individual player's story is going to be different.

Yet, Bryson DeChambeau was given multiple opportunities and a lot of time to figure out his game on tour - remember the side-saddle putting debacle? Not every player receives this kind of coddling. And yes, after a really rocky transition, DeChambeau finally came through.

How many other players might have achieved the same if given the same opportunities.

The Tour and their sponsors have tried so hard to make DeChambeau a star, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. How is he more "marketable" than Xander Schauffele or any number of young, talented players.

Simply put, I think both the PGA Tour and Tournament Sponsors just need to let the chips fall where they may. Let the scores dictate who gets to play. It's golf, not Dancing with the Stars.

or
or

I care when someone gets their clubs stolen and shoots a 63 with a hodge podge bag mixed in with some guts/glory :D

The 63 to qualify is an extra bonus. :D

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

There are obviously lots of different stories out there, and every individual player's story is going to be different.

Yet, Bryson DeChambeau was given multiple opportunities and a lot of time to figure out his game on tour - remember the side-saddle putting debacle? Not every player receives this kind of coddling. And yes, after a really rocky transition, DeChambeau finally came through.

How many other players might have achieved the same if given the same opportunities.

The Tour and their sponsors have tried so hard to make DeChambeau a star, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. How is he more "marketable" than Xander Schauffele or any number of young, talented players.

Simply put, I think both the PGA Tour and Tournament Sponsors just need to let the chips fall where they may. Let the scores dictate who gets to play. It's golf, not Dancing with the Stars.

I am not following how BDC was given any more opportunities than anyone else other than for the reason of his play. He was low Am at Masters and decided to turn pro to see if he could earn a card for 2017. Again, like anyone else who wins a US Am, or low Am at Master, or a good finish in any major as an Am, or NCAA winner, if you have any decent agent you are going to get sponsor exemptions.

BDC's clubs did the talking, and he fell short of getting his card, then he was dropped into Web Finals, like anyone else who was in his situation would have, and then he promptly won, got on tour, and won, another year on tour and won multiple times...how is that coddling? And that's the definition of rocky transition??? Really?

I can't speak to all the marketing of BDC vs other young players except to say the media likes the crazy physics talk, and his agent is doing his job quite well.

guy from my club qualified, Lee Hodges. Really nice kid that graduated from Bama.

Unfortunate that he attended that school up in Tuscaloosa (War Eagle!) but good for him!

or
or

I am not following how BDC was given any more opportunities than anyone else other than for the reason of his play. He was low Am at Masters and decided to turn pro to see if he could earn a card for 2017. Again, like anyone else who wins a US Am, or low Am at Master, or a good finish in any major as an Am, or NCAA winner, if you have any decent agent you are going to get sponsor exemptions.

BDC's clubs did the talking, and he fell short of getting his card, then he was dropped into Web Finals, like anyone else who was in his situation would have, and then he promptly won, got on tour, and won, another year on tour and won multiple times...how is that coddling? And that's the definition of rocky transition??? Really?

I can't speak to all the marketing of BDC vs other young players except to say the media likes the crazy physics talk, and his agent is doing his job quite well.

Yeah, we obviously have opposing viewpoints on this. You view sponsor exemptions, agents, and a couple of high finishes at notable tournaments as a viable road to the tour. I do not.

From my perspective, these practices have very little to do with golf. They are simply about money, marketing, and selling beer.

On a larger scale, I would argue that the PGA Tour marketing department is making the same mistakes as MLB and the NFL. They can't predict what might capture people's interest in the future, so they rely on the past to shape their approach. Tiger Woods was really popular - let's do that again. People like home runs - let's see what we can do to have players hit more of them. People like QB's - let's make the game all about them.

At the end of the day, both MLB and the NFL have been hurt by these preoccupations, and over time, the game itself suffers. The NFL would love to pin the downturn in interest to the National Anthem issue, but in reality its because the game kind of sucks these days. Major League hitting has devolved into either a homerun or strike out. Going to a game, much like attending a PGA Tournament, has become an opportunity to drink because no one wants to actually watch the game.

What I think is most tragic about all of this is how it narrows the field of opportunity. Slap hitters, defensive specialists, and base running have virtually no place in MLB anymore. If you don't fit the preconceived profile of a dominant NFL style QB, or even if you struggle just a little bit, your career is over.

For every Bryson DeChambeau, I would argue that there are 20-50 players out there who are equally, if not more, talented. Yet, because they aren't "marketable" we will probably never hear about any of them.

or
or

Yeah, we obviously have opposing viewpoints on this. You view sponsor exemptions, agents, and a couple of high finishes at notable tournaments as a viable road to the tour. I do not.

It was the road Woods, Mickelson, Spieth (failed in the Q school second stage) and Justin Leonard went. Bryson only missed out on that by a shot and won his first Web.com event in the playoffs to get his card. 19 year old Joaquin Niemann went this route this year as well.

Playing 3-6 weeks against PGA Tour players isn't as viable as a 108 hole one week shootout against the rest of the non Top 125?

So players graduating in May 2019 should not be allowed to play any PGA Tour events (unless they Monday qualify I guess) until they go to Q-School and earn their card? Can they play in Web.com events or do we need to keep them out of that too?