Cold Weather Golfing - How Was Your Round

Naptime

St. George is a year-round golf location, however I probably should have passed playing yesterday. After a short frost delay we teed off when it was 33*. I was so layered up I felt like the little brother in The Christmas Story. Front 9 was a struggle with only 1 birdie in our foursome.

Sun broke cloud cover on the back 9 and we were able to shed some layers, but no one scored well. My buddy and I shot 79.

My handicap goes up every winter as my lowest warm weather scores drop out of the most recent 20 rounds. I just went from 5.7 to 7.2. Mind you- I’m not complaining because I’m still playing, and it will be nice soon enough.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

St. George is a year-round golf location, however I probably should have passed playing yesterday. After a short frost delay we teed off when it was 33*. I was so layered up I felt like the little brother in The Christmas Story. Front 9 was a struggle with only 1 birdie in our foursome.

Sun broke cloud cover on the back 9 and we were able to shed some layers, but no one scored well. My buddy and I shot 79.

My handicap goes up every winter as my lowest warm weather scores drop out of the most recent 20 rounds. I just went from 5.7 to 7.2. Mind you- I’m not complaining because I’m still playing, and it will be nice soon enough.

The guys just had their Mesquite trip a couple weeks ago. Always finish up at Coral Canyon before the 600 mile drive home. So always have the first three tee times. Almost a two hour frost delay for them this year.

I think we need a filter device for these thread that won’t allow anyone with a Florida, AZ, (a warm weather place) , etc address to post in these threads. I, for one, don’t need to hear about their balmy temps. I want others to commiserate with me!

It’s truly a thread for the cooler!

68F today. Still OK, but it was freezing.

68 and freezing��

I get laughed at by my group because I won’t take off my jacket til it’s above 75*

I tend to be the opposite, I'm the first to remove surplus clothing. Last weekend at 13c I seriously considered unzipping the lower half of my trousers to convert them into shorts. I'd already removed my jumper and was playing in Lycra top and tee shirt. I also always take a flask of cold water - kept in the fridge during the week to ensure it's properly chilled :)

68F today. Still OK, but it was freezing.

68 and freezing��

I get laughed at by my group because I won’t take off my jacket til it’s above 75*

I tend to be the opposite, I'm the first to remove surplus clothing. Last weekend at 13c I seriously considered unzipping the lower half of my trousers to convert them into shorts. I'd already removed my jumper and was playing in Lycra top and tee shirt. I also always take a flask of cold water - kept in the fridge during the week to ensure it's properly chilled :)

I play with a couple guys like that. Shortsleeves when it’s 40*. I’ll be in shorts to low the 40*s , but a bunch of layers up top!

That’s the other line I got this year from one of the guys, “you can always tell it’s sh!thead (probably an accurate nickname) out there. Coat, stocking cap, winter gloves,.......and shorts,

Played a good half round today - cold, wet (though not raining for most of the round) & windy. Forgot my rain jacket so just went round in Jumper,hat,gloves, but no problems and played well considering. A couple of guys joked about my Christmas jumper as i played through them, but it was actually really good for not getting in the way of my swing, so no worries there.

Starting to be those 30-40 degree weekend morning rounds here in Washington state. I tend to go from a draw player to a fade player in the cold. It might be in my head, but I feel I don't turn as well through the ball when I am frozen so the fade helps me stay on it a bit longer and feel the shorter, hold off swing.

Was 45 on Monday here and felt like i had to take advantage lol. It was cold and wet so it was tough to hit anything flush not off the tee. Basically just looking to get some last season swings before the winter grind. I usually don’t even bother keeping score after Halloween, just out there to have some fun and search for my ball under the leaves.

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

36* this morning in Portland. Shot 75. Fleeced Nike golf pants, UA turtleneck and (aptly named) Mountain Hardwear 32 Degree 1/2 zip pullover. Wool beanie.

Amazing how good modern winter clothing is. So different from just a decade ago. Nothing bulky, can still rotate and swing freely and stay warm at the same time.

And USB handwarmers. These bad boys are so much better than the Hotties I used to buy by the box at Costco. Just have to remember to recharge them between rounds.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

About 5*C (40*F roughly) here today. The crazy thing is that on Tuesday it was getting up to about 24~25*C (~75*F). Played a course I last went round in August. I found I was having to hit about 2 clubs more than when I last played the course in summer.

There was little to no wind, so it didn't actually feel that cold; yesterday was worse. Also, I had on a Uniqlo Gokudan Heattech polo neck, a thick long-sleeved T-shirt over that, then a sexy Pringle woollen sweater from 1990. I was positively toasty out there. As I was rocking a Taylormade TPA XVIII putter, I'm surprised I wasn't mistaken for Nick Faldo. Guess it's a good thing I didn't have the Mizunos in the bag.

For winter golf, today was pretty good. Relatively dry, no piercing wind, good company, and true greens.

9c here and quite nice for the most part but we've had a lot of rain recently. I had some good shots but never recaptured the great swings of recent weeks. Ended up with a 99 but I didn't lose any balls. Also it started to rain around the 14th and the 18th was a temporary tee box which was truly horrible. Just a marked out area of the fairway. Sloping slightly and with a ridge half way along. Both me and my buddy hit shocking drives and triple bogied :-/

At least we got out and got to hit some balls and I kept it in double digits.

9c here and quite nice for the most part but we've had a lot of rain recently. I had some good shots but never recaptured the great swings of recent weeks. Ended up with a 99 but I didn't lose any balls. Also it started to rain around the 14th and the 18th was a temporary tee box which was truly horrible. Just a marked out area of the fairway. Sloping slightly and with a ridge half way along. Both me and my buddy hit shocking drives and triple bogied :-/

At least we got out and got to hit some balls and I kept it in double digits.

temporary tees like that are bad, but not as bad as temporary greens that are just cut into the fairway.

Front 9 level par due to hot putter. Back 9 erratic as driving went a bit awry and missing fairways means hitting out of the clart and wet grass. 3 from 3 sand saves so something positive. Also found Titleist Duo Soft is a poor ball compared to other companies similar offerings...goes nowhere off the tee.

Played yesterday morning in the DFW area. It was just above freezing when I woke up, and it got up to around 50* by the time our round was over. I went 40-45. I had 1 double on the front, and 3 double bogeys on the back :vava: . They were all avoidable, which is more annoying. The round was much better than it was the last 3 Sundays that I played in the cold, so there is that.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17.25* (Motore F1 7s); 21* Callaway UW (Attas T2 8S); Adams Super 9031 23* (Recoil Prototype Utility 110 F4)
Irons: 5-PW Srixon ZX7 MKII (KBS 120 $ Taper)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Got 9 in Saturday. It was cold. Dressed for it,carried hand warmers in my pockets. Not too bad.

Hit a couple good drives. Must not have went too far though, i saw them land. Actually,my feet were the coldest

for the first 4 holes. After that it was ok.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Played 18 yesterday here in Saint Louis. Not too cold but did have a couple layers and a beanie on. Overall after not having played a round in 7 weeks I thought I played alright. Didn’t keep score but made a couple birdies and a few pars. Don’t think I made anything worse than double. Just glad to finally have made it back out on the course

Played Fri in northern NC, cool low 40s afternoon, but thankfully little to no wind. Had a 3 on 3 match that turned out uglier than the weather, our side lost every way. Funny line of the day was 1 of my partners is the brother of a long time Tour And Sr Tour player, super ball striker but putts like Roberto Duran. He used to "putt" with a SW, using a left hand low reverse claw grip(yeah, try to get that mental image correct)....but was using a hand me down Circle T on Friday. After missing a 2ft birdie putt on 12, our other partner handed him his SW and said, "Here, Scotty Cameron called, he wants his putter back, and you putt better with this."

Blizzard hit Sat/Sun and now hoping this 12"+ of snow will be gone by this wkend.

my scores have been pretty good, about the same as summer

but here's the thing, i'm playing 1-2 tees shorter I haven't gotten roll (literally not a forward bounce) since August

its been the wettest year ever in North Carolina

so im losing 25-50 yards per tee shot due to saturated conditions

im shooting consistently mid 70's as i was in the summer

but my handicap has gone up 3 strokes because the rating is super low from 5900 yards

if i shoot par every round, im a 5 handicap because of the 67 rating

you know, thats a mis perception a lot of people have

just because you shoot par, does not mean you are scratch

you have to shoot the rating

I wish the course rating got adjusted based on the weather and ground conditions

if we had a record dry fall, i could shoot the same scores from the blues because id have the same distance in as i do from the gold tees when its wet

Got a game in on Sunday, but on winter greens now.

So I didn't bother with putting or any short game stuff.

First outing with M3 3wood and results were encouraging, although it should be noted I was flushing pretty much everything so will have to see how the M3 goes when I'm not swinging so well.

It feels harder to shape the ball ( both in a controlled and in an uncontrolled way than with the M1), but I imagine I'll be able to tolerate adjusting to hitting more straight shots.

Played yesterday here in Connecticut. Caught a decent day with temps getting into the 40's in the afternoon and no wind, so it was actually quite comfortable. It's been pretty cold the last week or so (mid-teens overnight, and not much better during the day), so the ground is frozen. Snowed a bit the day before, but just a light dusting. Teed off mid-morning with temps in the mid-30's, and it was tough to get a peg in the ground, but lots of roll on the drives. Greens had been sanded, so putting was a challenge, but overall the course was in really nice condition and I was very happy with the ball striking all day. Couple of birdies and a bunch of pars - very good for me.

Only saw one other group on the course, so we basically had the place to ourselves. There is something about the solitude of winter golf that makes it unique. Yes, conditions can be challenging, it's tough to follow the flight of the ball against the steel gray sky, the swing is more restricted with all the layers on, etc., but...I just felt so fortunate to be out there enjoying a round of golf with friends on mid-December day in Connecticut.

Likely my last round of 2018, but it was a great way to finish the year!

Ping G410, 10.5 degree, Alta CB 55 Red

Taylormade RBZ, 15*, Matrix Ozik

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid, 18 degree, Aerotech Steelfiber FC

Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*, Aldila Synergy 60

Callaway Apex CF16, 5 - SW, Recoil 760

Callaway PM Grind 19, 60*

Rife 2 Bar Hybrid 

My club, par 70.

6c, damp course but sunny at first and stayed dry. No wind. I only went to practice my full swing (trying to get 'back to the target' ingrained). Overall my full swing went well but still messing up my wedges a bit. Putting was a bit weak but to be honest I was more interested in the full swing so wasn't giving it full attention. Chipping was good.

Ended up with 88 which of course is well below my handicap and more like a summer score than winter. It bodes well for 2019 :)

Played yesterday but only as I had been entered in a 4 man team.....greens were rock hard until 14th. Below zero if you factored in wind-chill. However it was sunny and the banter was good. Playing tomorrow and it supposed to be several degrees warmer and less wind. Hopefully the ball will stop on the greens.