Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

What clubs do you generally chip/pitch with green side?

Comments

• bloparblopar blopar Members Posts: 57 ✭✭
    I carry 50, 54, and 58 or 60 Cleveland RTG DSG (dynamic sole grind) wedges (depending on course set up and type of sand---wedges are about 15 yrs old, periodically regrooved. 2 sets which I alternate.

I use the 54 degree almost exclusively greenside unless I have a steeply downhill lie or want to flop the ball. Prefer to know exactly what I'm going to get with just one club instead of trying to figure out how the ball is going to react off multiple clubs. (67y.o Index 8 ---has worked for me for a looooong time!)
  • randywallrandywall Oak Harbor, WAMembers Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Mostly my 48* gap wedge, but sometimes my 56* sand wedge, depending on how much I need it to check. Also depends on the conditions. If greenside rough is high, then definitely the greater mass of the gap wedge.
    Ping G20, 10.5*
    3W: Ping G10
    Hyb: Wishon 2 & 3
    Callaway X Hot 5-AW with Aerotech shafts on 5-PW
    SW: Miura 56* K grind
    LW: Vokey 60* SM5 L grind
    Putter: Northwestern Model 400
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,633 ClubWRX
    I like the 9 iron for most shots, but have a 50 and 56 for high shots.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    Cobra F8 12*
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790's this week, next week?
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • mantanmantan Members Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I love everything about my G25s except chipping with them. So I use my 54 and 58 for just about everything.
    WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    49º 588 sp tried and true for 20+

60º Glide 60 SS

52º 691 tried and true for 20+

I've often tried to incorporate Seve's 9 iron chipping but haven't really owned it yet. I like the shorter shafts especially in the wedges.

But as I continue to play I will continue to chip more so with the irons.

Lower is better

• rjp217rjp217 Boston, MAMembers Posts: 289 ✭✭✭✭
    For me it generally depends on the lie and how much green i have to work with. I prefer my PW, ball back in stance and a bump and run when on the fairway. In the rough it’s my 60 if i have no green and my 54 if i can use some roll.
    In Bag:

TaylorMade M3 9.5* (Tensei Pro White 70TX)
    P790UDI 2 (Aldila RIP Alpha 105X)
    Mizuno MP18: MMC FH 3-4 / MMC 5-6 / SC 7-8 / MB 9-PW (KBS Tour 130X)
    Cleveland RTX4 Black 50* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    Cleveland RTX3 Raw 54* / 60* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    '18 TM O-Works 7CH (Black Steel)
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most pros and low handicappers have a primary chipping club greenside, often the SW (54-58 ?). Sometimes they will use 1 higher or lower in loft but that's about it. 7 iron or such ? Very seldom.

The higher the handicap the more usage of a variety of clubs & the opportunity to get it on the ground and rolling to the hole. Much higher acceptable distances from the hole rolling it most of the way.

Sometimes a major benefit of getting it in the air is the ability to carry some parts of the green that would throw the ball one way or the other if you rolled the ball over those sections - takes out a variable.
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread should have had a poll attached
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5 /  g400 15.5* | tensei white 80tx  /  p790 20*, 24* | x100  /  919tour 4-9 | x100  /  md3 46*8 | x100  /  sm6 52*8, 56*8, 60*4 | x100 ti  /  red X3

• extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nsxguy wrote:

I think most pros and low handicappers have a primary chipping club greenside, often the SW (54-58 ?). Sometimes they will use 1 higher or lower in loft but that's about it. 7 iron or such ? Very seldom.

The higher the handicap the more usage of a variety of clubs & the opportunity to get it on the ground and rolling to the hole. Much higher acceptable distances from the hole rolling it most of the way.

Sometimes a major benefit of getting it in the air is the ability to carry some parts of the green that would throw the ball one way or the other if you rolled the ball over those sections - takes out a variable.

It's tru what u say about pros, but that's more because the greens they play are usually rolling at 10+.Not apples to apples but still valid
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5 /  g400 15.5* | tensei white 80tx  /  p790 20*, 24* | x100  /  919tour 4-9 | x100  /  md3 46*8 | x100  /  sm6 52*8, 56*8, 60*4 | x100 ti  /  red X3

• Z4ParZ4Par Members Posts: 439 ✭✭
    A lot of the time it depends on the time of year and how the greens are rolling, generally my 52 or 56 though..
    Callaway Rogue Draw Driver (10 Degrees) 9 Degree setup at +1, Neutral Setting - Aldila Synergy 50 (60 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 4 Wood (17 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (68 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid (19 Degrees), 4 Hybrid (21 Degrees), 5 Hybrid (24 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (75 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Titleist 718 AP3 6 Iron (28 Degrees) through PW (43 Degrees) and Wedge (48 Degrees) - AMT Black S300 - Standard
    Titleist SM6 - 52 Degree F Grind 8 Degree Bounce and 56 Degree F Grind 14 Degree Bounce - Project X 6.0 - Standard
    2018 TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Sightline
    Titleist AVX
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Use my 58 90% of the time

About the same here. 58 PM grind is usually my go to most of the time. I have a 64* I use when needed and if I need to hit a runner I’ll go with my 54* or rarely my 50* AW.
  • CurtdrCurtdr Members Posts: 30 ✭✭
    CDLgolf wrote:

Whenever possible I'll use my 50* u wedge. If not then my 56* or 60*.

Years ago I used a 7 iron quite often but for some reason I've gotten away from that shot. I need to re introduce it to my game.

I had always used a 7 iron for chipping... then I got a, gasp, Cleveland SmartSole CHIPPER which is also good for getting out of trouble around and under trees or when there's no room for much backswing can really punch it.

That said, I too am thinking about going back to a 7 iron. For me it has a good combo of sole, loft, and run. It's easy and predictable.
  • Dustin_JDustin_J St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    PW (44 degree), 54 degree, or 58 degree. PW is roughly 1:2 carry:roll, 54 is 1:1, and 58 is 1:2. Makes things pretty easy to judge when I'm not playing or practicing a lot...which is most of the time.
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

my current partner always uses a hi loft wedge and does pretty well. he plays an air game.

I prefer to start as low as possible, depending on where the ball is sitting and what has to be carried.

Ray Floyd would chip w a 5 iron if the coast was clear and carry it as close to the hole as possible.

keep that in mind.
    Yeah I am of the old school of keeping it on the ground when ever I can. Like my old man used to say "Guys like Hubert Greene and Raymond Floyd would 5 iron you to death around the green"--- In all honesty for a bump and run I use a 7 iron or a hooded down delofted PW. I take my putting stance and stand the club on the toe and use my putting stroke. Strictly old school

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Irons 3 thru PW KZG Teardrop ( 2009) Forged CB 5.5 Rifle Flighted
    SW Mizuno T-10 forged S-400
    LW Ping Zing 60* Stock
    Putter (for now) TM Rosa Daytona AGSI insert

• LightBearerLightBearer Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    56 degree wedge. 9 degrees of bounce. Traditional sole which Nike calls "Square"

I have become comfortable adding loft to the club, as well as delofting it, depending on the circumstances.
    Clubs gripped with Pure DTX Midsize

Long Clubs: Wilson Staff D100, 10.5* loft, Srixon Z 355 15* Fairway, Srixon Z H65 2H, 16*
    Middle Clubs: Cobra Baffler XL Irons 5-PW Lite Flex
    Short Clubs: Cobra S3 Max Gap Wedge 49*, Nike Engage Toe Sweep 54*
    :D
    Ball: Snell MTB (Primary), Srixon Q Star (Secondary)
    Seemore FGP Bronze Putter, Left-Handed, 35.5"
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the shot to hit and if I want the ball in the air or on the green. Anything from a 7 iron to a 60*. I don't typically go any higher in the bag then a 7 on course but I have practiced with every club in the bag except my driver.
    I do not carry a hybrid in general even though I own several. I took an old 24* Adams to the range the other day to chip with. It seemed really hot faced at first but once I got used to it I liked it ok. But not enough to put a hybrid in play in my main bag

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Irons 3 thru PW KZG Teardrop ( 2009) Forged CB 5.5 Rifle Flighted
    SW Mizuno T-10 forged S-400
    LW Ping Zing 60* Stock
    Putter (for now) TM Rosa Daytona AGSI insert

• golfinrig24golfinrig24 Grande Prairie, ABMembers Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    60* or 9I try to incorporate other clubs but tend to go back to these 2.
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BIG STU wrote:

my current partner always uses a hi loft wedge and does pretty well. he plays an air game.

I prefer to start as low as possible, depending on where the ball is sitting and what has to be carried.

Ray Floyd would chip w a 5 iron if the coast was clear and carry it as close to the hole as possible.

keep that in mind.
    Yeah I am of the old school of keeping it on the ground when ever I can. Like my old man used to say "Guys like Hubert Greene and Raymond Floyd would 5 iron you to death around the green"--- In all honesty for a bump and run I use a 7 iron or a hooded down delofted PW. I take my putting stance and stand the club on the toe and use my putting stroke. Strictly old school

get the heel off the ground a bit.

less stubs that way and at times helps to deaden a shorter shot.
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • csufmancsufman CaliforniaMembers Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    62* Vokey. Really nice turf interaction and i feel comfortable with it. Whenever ibtry to play smart and use a lower lofted club by chipping suffers. Find what you are good with and go for it.
  • playmuchplaymuch Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to always use the 60 degree with low bounce but finding my regular SW with a little extra bounce a little more forgiving now. As long as there is a little heel relief, i find i can play most shots.
  • badgermatbadgermat Members Posts: 82 ✭✭✭
    This week it has mostly been a 35* 8i (been playing a few one club rounds). Usually it'd be either a 47* or 54* wedge.

Can't say I've really noticed much difference scoring-wise though.

bm
  • sneaky_petesneaky_pete insufficiently adult Members Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I used to use a 58* wedge most of the time but in the last couple of years 95% of the time I will use 52* wedge and only use the 58* when I don't have a lot of green to work with or coming out of a bunker. I find the 52* is a good compromise - bit of check and the rollout I need.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Ping Tour 65 Stiff
    Fairway: Adams Speedline Super S Fairway 15* Matrix Ozik HD Radix S VI Shaft Stiff Flex
    Driving Iron: Mizuno Fli-Hi II 18* Driving Iron Mizuno Exsar Shaft Stiff Flex
    Irons: Maltby DBM Forged Irons 3 - 9 True Temper Dynalite Gold XP S300 Shafts
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 46*, 52* & 58* Wedges True Temper Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
    Putter: Cleveland TFI 2135 RHO fitted with Iomic Midsize Grip (Blue)
    Grips: Lamkin UTX Midsize (Black)
    Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour
    GPS: Sonocaddie V300
    Range Finder: Leupold GX-3i2
    Cart: Clicgear 3.0
  • mds5062mds5062 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    8i for majority of bump and runs. 56 for a bump or semi flighted. 60 for any flops or downhill that needs to land on fringe and gently roll out.
  • theothertwotheothertwo Members Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 17, 2018 #145
    PW, 52 and 58. Mostly the 52. It took me a few years to learn that the running shot is the higher percentage shot, for me anyway.
    Honma TW 737 455 10.5* Driver
    Tour Edge Exotics EX 10 16.5* 4 Wood
    Tour Edge Exotics EX 10 22* Hybrid
    Miura CB 57 Irons  4-PW 
    Miura 2018 Tour Wedges 52* and 58*
    Ping Anser 2 Vault Platinum Putter
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 17, 2018 #146
    50/56 degree wedges get about 2/3 of the greenside shots. The other 1/3 of the shots go to my One Length 3 hybrid. Shorter length makes the feel and technique very similar to putting, and the distance is very easy to control. Great when you're short-sided or when the green is sloping away, when there wouldn't be much room to land/stop a wedge shot.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ F6 Baffler 16 ~ Baffler 2h ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Members Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    54 or 58 degree wedge 95% of the time. Between those 2 it depends on the lie. Tight lie, 58. Fluffy lie, 54. Every once in awhile I'll use my P wedge or 50 degree if it is windy or if I really screwed up my approach shot and need to go all the way from front of the green to the back.
    Cobra King F8 Driver  Aldila NV-2KXV Green 65 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (15.5 degree setting, -1/2")
    Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid (19 degree setting)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Regular Flex Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Red X3 (34")
  • kiwihackerkiwihacker Members Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to use my 52° wedge for the majority of shots around the green. If I'm in the fringe and have plenty of run I'll use my 43° 9 iron. If there's less green to work with I'll either open up the 52° or if I'm brave my 56°.

If I'm carrying 50, 54, 58 wedges instead of 52, 56 the formula is the same. The 50° for most shots and the 54° were I want to flight it more.

I have a friend who is a genius chipping with his 8 iron but I don't tend to go lower loft than my 9 iron. Maybe I should? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
    17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
    20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
    Taylormade R7 TP 4-PW irons
    Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
    Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter
  • scruffynickscruffynick manchester, UKMembers Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually a normal pitching wedge at around 46 does the trick. Like bumbing my 9 iron too, only use the sw when it's over a bunker, or up a steep bank...dont really use my sw much only when it's needed and bunkers of course
  • n_ronesn_rones New YorkMembers Posts: 549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    54 for flatter or uphill chips 58 when I’m chipping downhill
    Srixon Z785 9.5° HC HZRDUS Black 6.5 75
    Srixon F85 15° GD Tour AD DI-6s
    Srixon Z H85 19° Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 85
    Srixon Z565 4 iron KBS Tour FLT S
    Srixon Z745 5-PW KBS Tour R+
    Srixon Z745 A Wedge 51° KBS Tour Custom Black 
    Cleveland RTX 3 CB 55°
    Taylormade HI-Toe 58°
    Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5 Stability Shaft
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    50* or PW.

Gary player and Jack Nicklaus both said the goal is to get the ball onto the green enrolling as fast as possible. I'm pretty sure they used 8-PW mostly to chip.
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file