2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SuperSpeed Golf training system

we have kept track of the fastest swing at the end with the light stick but all I really care about is ball speed so that is our main focus. The SSR will make a huge difference for you

I don't have a sim or launch monitor, so I guess clubhead speed will have to be my metric to determine gains.

Is the SSR pretty accurate when hitting a ball with a club?

No, some will argue that but I have had SSR's for a very long time. It shows 8mph faster when I hit a ball with my driver than Trackman or Skytrak. It is very consistent though so I do like knowing the numbers. I have two of the red ones here now and also have a blue one I lent to a friend. All three show the same numbers so I think they are all about 8mph off.

we have kept track of the fastest swing at the end with the light stick but all I really care about is ball speed so that is our main focus. The SSR will make a huge difference for you

I don't have a sim or launch monitor, so I guess clubhead speed will have to be my metric to determine gains.

No, some will argue that but I have had SSR's for a very long time. It shows 8mph faster when I hit a ball with my driver than Trackman or Skytrak. It is very consistent though so I do like knowing the numbers. I have two of the red ones here now and also have a blue one I lent to a friend. All three show the same numbers so I think they are all about 8mph off.

For some, it can be more accurate, it depends on things like swing path and toe closure rate and when it closes, SSR position, and even club head shape (in my experience). There is proof out there that it actually under reads for some people compared to Trackman or Flightscope. It depends on the part of the club it picks up.

Because of all the variability, I don't personally rely on it for anything but measuring speed increases with my SSG club and just knowing if my driver swing has slowed one day vs another (won't hit my usual numbers).

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Yeah, I stated what I meant incorrectly. I was intending to determine if it's consistent and not accurate. I'm only concerned with knowing that I'm increasing and by what % over time.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Yeah, I stated what I meant incorrectly. I was intending to determine if it's consistent and not accurate. I'm only concerned with knowing that I'm increasing and by what % over time.

It is consistent if your swing is consistent. Mine can vary a lot depending on how much and how early I snap the club face closed. I find I have better luck with accuracy and consistency if I put the SSR closer to my back foot, about a foot away from what SSR manual recommends. That way it can't possibly catch much toe closure, will still read toe but should be closer to real at least for me when compared to TM.

It is VERY consistent with SSG clubs though, just not a golf club. Its full proof almost with an SSG club, and as I said, its repeatable against itself if you have a repeatable swing and don't vary face closure much or your swing path.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

I've noticed that while my swings with the Green are still higher, the Blue club is creeping up. I was unable to hit 140mph with the Green (had 138 and 139 numerous times), but hit 134-136 with the Blue. While it's great the Blue is getting higher, I'm wondering why the Green isn't increasing as much.

I also haven't really been doing the squats, or much of any workout (other than SSG) for that matter for about 1 week. I'm going to get back into it starting either today or tomorrow, and hopefully that should help.

What I will say, is it kinda sucks swinging in the freezing winter temps here in NY. It's not even THAT cold yet (probably around 30 last night). Winter hat and 2 layers probably don't help either.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

I've noticed that while my swings with the Green are still higher, the Blue club is creeping up. I was unable to hit 140mph with the Green (had 138 and 139 numerous times), but hit 134-136 with the Blue. While it's great the Blue is getting higher, I'm wondering why the Green isn't increasing as much.

I also haven't really been doing the squats, or much of any workout (other than SSG) for that matter for about 1 week. I'm going to get back into it starting either today or tomorrow, and hopefully that should help.

What I will say, is it kinda sucks swinging in the freezing winter temps here in NY. It's not even THAT cold yet (probably around 30 last night). Winter hat and 2 layers probably don't help either.

You're tougher than I am - it's in the 20s here but I had to warm up my garage to 60° earlier to go do mine.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I'm beginning to Plateau. I'm still sticking with it, but my swings with the sticks are not really getting any faster the last week or 2. Last night several swings were really down, but then I moved the SSR further forward and they went back up. Anyway, I'm still sticking with it and hope to see more gains. I just started the kneeling swings (3 sessions in) and they are tough. I have a knee pad I've been using, but it's pretty small. My speed was significantly down using this knee pad vs. the grass where I can widen my 'stance.'

I'm beginning to Plateau. I'm still sticking with it, but my swings with the sticks are not really getting any faster the last week or 2. Last night several swings were really down, but then I moved the SSR further forward and they went back up. Anyway, I'm still sticking with it and hope to see more gains. I just started the kneeling swings (3 sessions in) and they are tough. I have a knee pad I've been using, but it's pretty small. My speed was significantly down using this knee pad vs. the grass where I can widen my 'stance.'

They don’t want you to widen your stance wider than shoulder width. Something to do with potentially hurting your back I believe.

This sounds counter-intuitive...but take a full week off. No swings at all.

Then...after a week...go through a full stretch routine beforehand.

Then...go full bore on the SSG.

Thank me later.

This sounds counter-intuitive...but take a full week off. No swings at all.

Then...after a week...go through a full stretch routine beforehand.

Then...go full bore on the SSG.

Thank me later.

Sounds like this is coming from experience. I will try this, thanks. I've been doing SSG consistently for at least 7 weeks now (every once in awhile taking 2 days off between swings), but also hitting balls once per week, mostly on off days. I've also been working out (took a week off), so perhaps my body is telling me to relax a bit. I'm getting back on my workout now, so perhaps I'll take this week slow with SSG then get back into it.

Thanks.

I made my own set but for the 2 heavier sticks I need to grind off weight to get them right. One needs around 10 g and 15 g for the other. Any advice on how to do this, I took it to my local golf shop and tried using their wheel and it was just taking way too long

15G is quite a bit. Did you use brass?

Used the steel calibration weights

Is it is too much to grind can you just hack saw some off and grind to a finish?

Is that possible with steel calibration weights?

I tried my first set with the steel cal weights as well, the metal was just too hard and chewed up my drill bits.A hacksaw would take quite some time I imagine

I ended up tossing them and bought some brass bar stock off ebay. 3d modeled it to figure out the rough length require for each one, drilled small holes on the opposite side to get the weight spot on

Go Bears.

I made my own set but for the 2 heavier sticks I need to grind off weight to get them right. One needs around 10 g and 15 g for the other. Any advice on how to do this, I took it to my local golf shop and tried using their wheel and it was just taking way too long

15G is quite a bit. Did you use brass?

Used the steel calibration weights

Is it is too much to grind can you just hack saw some off and grind to a finish?

Is that possible with steel calibration weights?

Sorry i assumed brass for DIY project. As it is easier to adjust!

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Swing fan is great for everything BUT building speed. Use it as a warmup.

Resistance training/building strength of golf muscles/core won't build speed ?

maybe if all your clubs had fans on them. why do sprinters train running downhill and not running uphill?

Why do sprinters also train with parachutes or sleds?

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Here is the newest aid I’ve added to my collection. My plan this winter is to alternate days with this and SSG. Anyways, this is a jetstick developed by Mike Romatowski https://mikeromatowski.com and here is what he had to say when I inquired about his tool vs SSG:

“I personally do not like the feel of the SuperSpeed Sticks, although I am not knocking them, because I have known people who liked them. The chain tool has a much different feel, though. The chain creates a unique proprioceptive feedback. When we measure the speed of this on a swing speed radar, it is almost exactly the same as driver speed, so I might not classify it as overspeed training. But because of the chain, it does two things:

1. Dramatically improves efficiency. While you are swinging it, the way the ball and chain lines up with the shaft creates a totally efficient swing plane - a path of least resistance. Really high proprioceptive feedback.

2. It makes it easy to understand our concept of “The speed is out in front.” We coach everyone to understand the sensation of not expending energy downward in transition, but rather to create upward speed past the ball. That is a difficult thing to coach verbally, but an easy thing to feel with this tool. Simply trying to make the swishing sound well out in front of the ball does the trick. Again, very high proprioceptive feedback. It matches up with our main concept... you create speed not by trying harder, but by allowing yourself to be effortlessly faster.

Also, we measure speed with a driver hitting a ball, not with the tool itself.”

Once purchased, Mike provides videos of drills to do with his chain tool. I believe that SSG is great for developing raw speed. The use of this chain tool and my swing fan (yes, I have one, too!) should help develop a better swing plane, efficiency and sequencing to maximize my speed gained through SSG.