Most interesting golf course you've every played?

• 3 years later...

Courses I'd consider very different from any others I've played:

Yale (CT)

Tobacco Road (NC)

Tot Hill Farm (NC)

Fenwick (CT)

Mayacama (CA)

Played Mayacama today - shot makers course to go low. Have to work the ball and hit specific zones of the greens to have makeable birdie putts. Very interesting piece of land, beautiful and thankfully survived the 2017 wine country fires.

Crail Golf Society

We played it 5600, Par 69. This course kicked our a**. Mental chess game. The length of the hole and the par are irrelvent. The trouble always seems not to be there or out of reach, though you always seemed to be in it. Unreal view of the north sea

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

The first thing that came to mind as a few have pointed out is Tobacco Road, interesting to me means quirky and something that I haven't seen before and is a lot of fun to play.

People can rattle off Dornoch, Lahinch etc, whilst wonderful places, and its just for me, they don't fit the "interesting/quirky" bit.

The one I really like outside of the US is Arrowtown near Queenstown in NZ

http://www.arrowtown...rse/index.shtml

Ko'Olau in Hawaii, even in the summer you can lose your ball in the fairway, lovely track, but very difficult. At the pro shop they ask you "what is your handicap?", the reason: "you should have double the amount of golf balls in the bag from your handicap"

, you will lose at least your handicap worth of golf balls if not more, and you pay $10 for a shot at some prices if you birdie the last hole, it is a monster par4...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Ko'Olau in Hawaii, even in the summer you can lose your ball in the fairway, lovely track, but very difficult. At the pro shop they ask you "what is your handicap?", the reason: "you should have double the amount of golf balls in the bag from your handicap"

, you will lose at least your handicap worth of golf balls if not more, and you pay $10 for a shot at some prices if you birdie the last hole, it is a monster par4...

Doesn't sound interesting at all.

The now-closed Wayne golf course in Bothell, WA. Short course. Back nine was... well crammed into too small of a piece of property. First and only 192 yard par 4 Ive ever played. You see it on the card and you think ”what?” But then you play it and it makes sense. The hole is 160 yards straight and then a 90° dogleg over a creek to a green set into a hillside surrounded by trees that you can’t see from the tee. You would need insane bravery to try and drive it. So its a wedge wedge par 4.

The rest of the course was blind shots and burned out conditions but it had a bit of quirky charm. I’m really glad I played it before it went.

west palm beach championship course, I got on through a friend working on a business promotional tour fun though I shot poorly, leaving the course we ran into Greg Norman filling up his Ferrari at a gas station near the course, It was quite sometime ago 1989

The now-closed Wayne golf course in Bothell, WA. Short course. Back nine was... well crammed into too small of a piece of property. First and only 192 yard par 4 Ive ever played. You see it on the card and you think "what?" But then you play it and it makes sense. The hole is 160 yards straight and then a 90° dogleg over a creek to a green set into a hillside surrounded by trees that you can't see from the tee. You would need insane bravery to try and drive it. So its a wedge wedge par 4.

The rest of the course was blind shots and burned out conditions but it had a bit of quirky charm. I'm really glad I played it before it went.

Wayne and Wellington were some of the wackiest courses ever.

Wayne had like a 225 yard par 3, then the 175 yard par 4 a few holes later.

Then there's WH. I don't even remember how many times you had to hit over an actual road at Wellington.

:lol:

The first thing that came to mind as a few have pointed out is Tobacco Road, interesting to me means quirky and something that I haven't seen before and is a lot of fun to play.

People can rattle off Dornoch, Lahinch etc, whilst wonderful places, and its just for me, they don't fit the "interesting/quirky" bit.

You don't find Lahinch quirky/interesting/unique? There's more quirk on 4/5/6 than most 18 hole courses in the world.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Tobacco Road hands down. Love it or hate it, you’re never going to play anything like it. The views and sightlines are epic.

Second in terms of courses I’ve played has to be Legends Moorland in Myrtle Beach. Having played PB Dye up here in MD I figured I’d know what to expect, but this was a whole new level of crazy interesting target golf.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

The easiest answer is The Old Course for me, but everyone knows how interesting that one is. I'd say the one that's most interesting that isn't a course that everyone knows about is PB Dye in Frederick MD. Super fun, tons of quirks, may not be the best golf course but man it's sure interesting! It's got really fun bunkering and some awesome green complexes. Definitely interesting!

I don't know if "most interesting" is the right word, but I found Lookout Mountain to be the most confusing course I have ever played. Mostly because of the greens. Never have I putted so many balls off of a green. On almost every hole, I literally had no idea if my putt was uphill or downhill, which made it fascinating. After the first few holes I had to put the score card away and it was really interesting to try and figure them out. I'm sure you would learn pretty quick after a few rounds, but it was tough the first time around. Definitely the toughest to read greens I've ever played and made for an interesting course.

You don't find Lahinch quirky/interesting/unique? There's more quirk on 4/5/6 than most 18 hole courses in the world.

Fair call Fred, was trying to say that lots of SW Ireland is coastal dune golf but thinking about it, would retract Lahinch

Most interesting for me has been Prestwick Golf Club in Scotland. It was Old Tom Morris' first job after getting fired by Robertson as a ball maker, and he played out the original 12 hole course and was its first keeper of the greens. Old Tom raised his young family there, and Young Tom would play on the dunes of the course and learned the game on Prestwick's links. Birthplace of the Open Championship, Prestwick went on to host 24 of what I think is the best major in golf. The giant silver buckle Challenge Belt, awarded to the winner before the Claret Jug was formed, sits in a case in the lobby.

The course itself is a wonderful collection of unique and historical holes. The first instance of railroad ties is found on the the Par 5 third hole; on his visit Dye was enamored with the use of ties on the banks of the giant Cardinal Bunker and went on to incorporate that feature in many of his courses. There are blind par 3s, and the famous Alps 17th hole. One of my favorite holes is the 15th called Narrows, and it truly was narrow - I don't think the fairway is more than 10 yards wide, and then that hole is followed by a wonderful drivable par 4.

Pretty much every hole on the course has a quirkiness to it that is very memorable, and then when one adds the amazing history, it is by far the overall most interesting golf course I've ever enjoyed.

• 2 weeks later...

Stonebrae was interesting as was Wente Vineyards, but one course, not really great, was playing Delta View in 40 Mph winds. In VA, I thought Royal New Kent was very interesting.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

As others said Tobacco Road is the most interesting course I’ve played. Another interesting layout was the Quarry in San Antonio.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

Most interesting for me has been Prestwick Golf Club in Scotland. It was Old Tom Morris' first job after getting fired by Robertson as a ball maker, and he played out the original 12 hole course and was its first keeper of the greens. Old Tom raised his young family there, and Young Tom would play on the dunes of the course and learned the game on Prestwick's links. Birthplace of the Open Championship, Prestwick went on to host 24 of what I think is the best major in golf. The giant silver buckle Challenge Belt, awarded to the winner before the Claret Jug was formed, sits in a case in the lobby.

The course itself is a wonderful collection of unique and historical holes. The first instance of railroad ties is found on the the Par 5 third hole; on his visit Dye was enamored with the use of ties on the banks of the giant Cardinal Bunker and went on to incorporate that feature in many of his courses. There are blind par 3s, and the famous Alps 17th hole. One of my favorite holes is the 15th called Narrows, and it truly was narrow - I don't think the fairway is more than 10 yards wide, and then that hole is followed by a wonderful drivable par 4.

Pretty much every hole on the course has a quirkiness to it that is very memorable, and then when one adds the amazing history, it is by far the overall most interesting golf course I've ever enjoyed.

Can't believe no one mentioned Prestwick until the 3rd page of this thread. I've played a good chunk of the top 100 courses, and many mentioned in this thread, and Prestwick is by far the most quirky (and enjoyable) course I have ever played. It isn't the best of the courses in Ireland/Scotland by any means, but it is the course that would be the most fun for match play or foursomes IMHO.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

One of the most interesting to me is the Dunes at Diamante in Cabo. It’s like playing links golf in Scotland except it’s 100 degrees and sunny. The sand dunes out there are truly amazing and the shots you can hit are unlike anything else. I had putts on greens where you aim 180 degrees away from the hole. It’s really fun. Not to mention the food and service, which is another thing altogether.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Add another for Wolf Creek in Mesquite NV. Love the analogy here of video game golf. Just crazy some of the lines you take if you really want to hit that driver off the tee, with elevation changes and some blinds shots thrown in for good measure.

Ping G400 LST 10 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping G400 16.5 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping i59 4-PW - PX IO 6.0, 1” long

Vokey SM7 Jet Black 52-56-60 

Scotty Cameron 2018 Newport 3

• 3 months later...

Several years ago, played Dinosaur Trail in Drumheller Alberta. As noted in the posts above, the front 9 is quite normal and is very walkable. The back 9 needs a cart...target golf amongst the badlands. Extremely scenic. Don't go looking for lost balls...snakes and other critters are likely abound. The famous dinosaur museum is a short distance away. Might play it again this summer....only a 2 hour drive to the course. Got it cheap at under $35 CAD with cart the last time with Golfnow. It is off Golfnow and is about twice as much. :(

Bring tons of balls. :)

Dave