Callaway FT-3 Tour

Got the Driver a couple of weeks ago - as a lefty it is obviously 9.5 loft, I went for Neutral weighting and I got it with the stock NVS 65 stiff. Replaced my Cleveland Launcher 330. Moving up to a 460cc head has not been a problem and now I have seen it perform, all my other previous concerns have gone too.

It has a much more penetrating flight than the Cleveland - admittedly that is partly a loft thing as the Cleveland is a 10.5 degree. Slightly early days yet to tell if the shaft is right but it seems to work okay. If I put a really good swing on this, I am hitting it 270-280 (driver swing speed last year measured at 92 -94, my 6 iron speed has increased by 10% or so over the winter, so my driver speed probably has gone up a bit too). Certainly over 250 (carry and roll) regularly and this has been in pretty moderate weather conditions so far this year in the UK. Overall a big step up in distance for me, perhaps 15-20 yds.

As for accuracy, my swing can be as erratic as ever and I will hit some horrid shots. No fault of the club. Occasionally I find myself setting up the club a bit too open (Tour has a slightly open face).

The sound is not remotely an issue for me. I prefer it to the sound of the X, which sounds like an explosion to me. The Cleveland was much more muted than the FT-3, but this driver sounds really solid.

Overall, highly recommended, especially for the ball flight and spin characteristics.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had two retail tour models, one 9.5* with a Speeder 652ex (x) and my new one is a 10.5* retail tour model with a Ozik Code 6 (sx). The FT-3 is an awesome driver but probably not for everyone. The stock shaft does this clubhead no justice at all, a low spin head with a loose shaft deters from all of the benefits asociated with a low spin driver. If you struggle with low launch angles this one is not for you. I would say this driver benefits the lower handicaper which seems to conflict with Callys normal marketing strategy. I would recommend my current combo because it takes full advantage of the technology design in both the shaft and the head to create a driver that rips (seriously!) through the wind and still rolls out past anything else on the market today. I love my FT-3 and would recommend it to everyone with a swing speed greater than 105mph but defintely upgrade the stock shaft and consider one full degree more loft and she will dance with you all day long!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

• 3 months later...

I have the tour version in an 8.5 with the draw weighting. It has the NV 75x shaft in it... Its definitely the best 460 driver i've ever hit... but not nearly as good of a feel as either my Launcher 400 or my Mizuno MP 001 400 cc. those 2 drivers have better sound, better aesthetics, and better feel. But the Ft-3 is the only driver ive ever had a draw/hook with, and it goes longer with less effort. So it stays in my bag most days, unless im playing a tight track where i need to feel the ball on the face.

PING G400 Max 10.5º w/ Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

PING i25 18º w/ PWR 75 S

Callaway Apex/Apex Pro Combo 19 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM8 50.08 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 M w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade Spider X

I just got the FT-3 Tour 10.5 GD YS-6+ (S). Have hit it on the range twice; hopefully will get out to play this week. Interestingly, it replaces my Ping TISI 7* Stock 350 (S) shaft. I was hoping to improve launch over the Ping while avoiding ballooning. Based on launch monitor the FT-3 set up looked to optimize carry and launch: ball speed 155+, launch 12-14*, spin 2800-3000. However, when I took it out to the range and matched it up with the Ping I found that the Ping had a flatter (lower) trajectory but carried approx same distance and seemed to hit a lot hotter with more roll. Carry was about 250-260 for both clubs but the Ping was just hotter.

The FT-3 was oK but I had to work hard to keep it from ballooning; it tendend to land with less roll, and somethimes I got a high fade which I wasn't trying for. I had hoped the low-spin head and 10.5* face would both improve launch and still keep the spin rate down. But from observation it doesn't seem to do what I thought the Launch Monitor indicated. It may be the shaft; maybe the way I load it-- something not observed indoors. Anyone have any additional thoughts?

thanks...

Sheffield

• 1 month later...

I hit one in the store for a while, and the sound didn't really bother me. According to the monitor I was picking up some extra yardage with it, and I thought I was sold. I took the same club out on the range that day for a demo, and I couldn't stand it. The sound outdoors was just awful. I want something a little less shrill than my G2, but this felt too much like hitting a wiffle bat. I had a good reminder that sound plays a huge role in my sense of feel. The search for the ideal club continues...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to play a FT-3 9 degree driver with the adila NVS 55 gram shaft, stiff flex. I could not hit this club straight, nothing but a draw. I currently have a 9.5 degree FT-3 Tour driver with the graffaloy prolaunch shaft, stiff flex. I was thinking about trying the same club with the adila nvs stiff shaft. Anyone have any experience with both of these shafts? I have a swingspeed of about 105, the prolaunch seems a bit stiff. Is the stock adila shaft on the tour model more difficult to get up?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I've tried and tried and tried to get rid of my FT-3 but I can't find another driver better!!! Used every driver from Taylormade, Cleveland, some Nike, TEE, you name it I've used it. Long, Low spin, pretty forgiving, workable, long (yes I did say long twice), this club flat out bombs!!!! Currently I have a 8.5 with VS Proto 80 X and a 9.5 with 757 Speeder X. I like to use the 8.5 on windy days and the 9.5 when the air is lighter and can carry it higher and further. I've got a Cobra Pro Speed S 8.5 on the way and that's my last attempt to knock the FT-3 out of the bag. If not I'm sticking with the Cally at least till next year.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Currently have an FT-3 Tour 9.5* with a real NVS 65 stiff (not the stock red NVS). Absolutely great club, at least after switching from a tour issue Ignite with a Matrix MFS. The NVS, surprisingly to some, was very responsive and in my opinion is a perfect combo with the great feeling fusion head. Distance was about average, dispersion was slightly better than im used to, and trajectory was slightly higher (probably because of the shaft) and spin was definitely down......but for me the it was FEEEEEEEEEL that sold me!!! This will be staying in the bag for a while.

Distance-8, Dispersion-9, Trajectory-slightly above average, Feel-10

• 5 weeks later...

Just following up on a trip to the course with my new FT-3 tour as mentioned above. Distance seems to be slightly shorter than most drivers ive hit..... but the accuracy.... ooooh the accuracy!!!! absolutely great on the fairway hitting!! seems to have quite a bit of forgiveness as far as i can see. stats in the above post are accurate, still, after the course test. feel and accuracy are amazing! this driver head, at least, will be in the bag for a long long time. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw one of these in a used bin at a local store for under $100 so I picked it up without even swinging it. The sole reads "FT-3 Big Bertha Fusion Tour 8.5*" and is neutral. It has a orange/gold Aldila NVS 65-S 350 shaft that i only assume is stock. I took it out to the course today and used it exclusively.

It is very easy to look down at this driver. Alot of drivers I have seen lately just seem overwhelming, like swinging a 45" tennis racket. This driver seems to mask its size very well, maybe due to the black color. Who knows, but I like it. Looking at the club in the air gives me the impression that it has a slightly open face, but setting it on a hardwood floor makes it look slightly closed. The face appears to sit very square at address. This appearance is very important to me, I can't stand looking at a club that appears open or closed by default.

The sound is very unique, and tolerable. I agree with the comment above that it sounds similar to an aluminum bat, just without the reverb. Shots near the toe have a higher frequency "ping" sound, and center shots seem to make a very quiet "tfff" as the ball flies away. The only other modern driver I've had in my hands to compare it to is the FT-I square thing. The FT-I makes a sound that resembles "i-have-an-expensive-driver" or "TIIINK" that won't stop echoing.

I was impressed with how well I was able to control the trajectory of my shots. I was playing in some pretty intense wind (Catching some of hurricane Ike near Dallas, TX), and had plenty of chances to hit it high with the wind or low into it (23mph steady, gusts up to 45).

One hole in particular pretty much sealed the deal. It was a short par 4 playing 327 from the back tees, playing dead into this wind. The folks in front of us were walking to the green for their putts/chips. I hit a low drive with about a 10 yard draw that would not come down, it just kept sailing and I didn't see where it came down. When we drove up to hit our second shots, I saw that the folks ahead of us were working on their putting, but there was a ball still sitting just short of the green. No way.... After we located my partner's ball, I drove toward the group ahead of us who were now walking off the green. They still didn't pick up the ball. I waved at one of them and he pointed at my ball, asking me "Is that yours?" I explained that it was, and started to apologize for almost hitting into them. The man said "Don't worry about it. That drive deserved to hit into us." The rest of them agreed and just told me what a great shot it was. I had about a 20 foot chip left for eagle and missed it right by about 3 inches. 310-320 into wind like that? I haven't done that since high school.

I get great feedback with the shaft that is in it, and could tell immediately whether I had toe'd a shot or hit it low on the clubface. Looking at the ball mark on the face verified what I had felt.

My only complaint is that the shaft feels very sloppy coming down into the swing. I would say I have a slower backswing but really come down fast into the downswing. Holding the grip and head in my hands allows me to twist the shaft an uncomfortable amount.

I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to new equipment (New meaning anything made after 2000). I've been playing a set of 1982? Hogan Medallions, Biggest Big Bertha 7*, Cleveland BeCu wedges, and an Odyssey DF990 since high school in '99 (I think). The shaft in the BBB is a ProForce 65 Gold Low Torque S-Flex (also says "Tip Stiff" near the tip). This shaft was installed simply because I needed to replace the broken stock shaft, and my golf coach at the time suggested it. I know nothing about it really, just that it has worked well for me. When I try to twist this shaft by hand, it hardly budges. I'm interested in replacing the shaft in this new driver, but have no clue what to look for. I'd probably be happy to have my old shaft in this new driver, but I don't know if they are made anymore, or have been made obsolete.

The only other driver I tried before that was a 10* BBB and I could not keep it down, trading it for the 7*. I've always been a fan of Callaway design, with the exception of the FT-I drivers I have seen in the stores, so it seemed natural to me to pick this club up and give it a shot. I have nothing against other manufactuers, and couldn't care less about what is the latest rage or what the guys on tour are using. If it is quality equipment and suits my game, I'm all for it.

I'd give this club a 9/10, though I have nothing since 2000 to compare it to other than my trusty BBB and the FT-I. Now that I'm getting back into the game, maybe I'll be able to take a look at some other options.

• 3 months later...
Just following up on a trip to the course with my new FT-3 tour as mentioned above. Distance seems to be slightly shorter than most drivers ive hit..... but the accuracy.... ooooh the accuracy!!!! absolutely great on the fairway hitting!! seems to have quite a bit of forgiveness as far as i can see. stats in the above post are accurate, still, after the course test. feel and accuracy are amazing! this driver head, at least, will be in the bag for a long long time. :)

This is my experience with the FT-3 Tour 9.5 head with NV R and S flexes. This is what I play all the time and love the club off the deck...don't carry a 3 wood and have a ss of 95-100 +/- 5mph

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still uses this.

I got my hands on a genuine tour issued fade bias 9.5 with a Fujikura Tour Vista 60 shaft and it BOMBS!!

I went to a Mizuno demo day which had the doppler radar flight monitor and they couldn't find a combination that improved on the FT3.

The best driver I have ever played. Period.

• 2 months later...

Again I will state as the above posts this is still one of the best drivers to play.

Just as good as the FT5 or new FT9 tours.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...

4 year bump but I was wondering if anyone is still using one. A couple years ago I found a 9.5 tour with a speeder 757 tour spec x stiff for about $50. I have played it off and on since then but I always go​ back to it because of the extra weight and perfect balance. It is right on my limit as far as chs goes and the reason it gets out of the bag is lack of distance when not swinging well, by I have recently been working on a gravity swing and have gained chs through the bag and been flushing it, and I did some practice swings with the ft3 and it felt awesome. I am taking it out tomorrow to see how it goes with the new swing. I might be playing a 14 year old driver after tomorrow. I hope my playing partners have ear plugs.

• 4 weeks later...

4 year bump but I was wondering if anyone is still using one. A couple years ago I found a 9.5 tour with a speeder 757 tour spec x stiff for about $50. I have played it off and on since then but I always go​ back to it because of the extra weight and perfect balance. It is right on my limit as far as chs goes and the reason it gets out of the bag is lack of distance when not swinging well, by I have recently been working on a gravity swing and have gained chs through the bag and been flushing it, and I did some practice swings with the ft3 and it felt awesome. I am taking it out tomorrow to see how it goes with the new swing. I might be playing a 14 year old driver after tomorrow. I hope my playing partners have ear plugs.

If I ever see one anywhere I'm going to pick it up. There's a place near me that has a HUUUUUUGE selection of used clubs, so I might be able to spot one there. This was the last club I decided to sell/trade in rather than keep - all other clubs after this I've personally kept in a small stash. For the little money I was getting for trade-ins, I figured I would rather just keep the stuff and then tinker with it or pass it down to my son when he eventually is old enough.

My misses tend do be on the heel and MAN this thing was LOOOOOUUUUUD. I ended up selling my FT-3 Tour to a buddy in order to fund the purchase of it's replacement, which was the FT-5 Tour.

How did it go when testing?

• 10 months later...

I had always wanted one when it came out but couldn't afford it in high school. Finally picked one up late last year off Callaway Preowned.

Mine is 9.5 with a Tour Ad shaft (not sure which one). Last couple events I played in I found it just as long as my playing partners. Most gaming newer models (G30, Epic, SLDR, M2).

I don't always catch it right, but I like the penetrating launch I get.