Most recognizable/ famous golf course logo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McArthur Golf Club- The milk bottle is just a really cool and simple logo that stands out on a golf bag, shirt, or hat. It’s big, but subtle if that makes sense.

Neither recognizable nor famous. LOL

Perhaps not in the circles you run

You could go to a golf course, let's say Pinehurst, ask 1000 GOLFERS to identify the McArthur logo, and my guess is less than 10 would know it.

Now if it's the "really cool and simple logo" thread you may be onto something... But "Most Recognizable" .... Not even close.

Sneak peak low angle of a small custom piece

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Merion, Pinehurst, Bay Hill, Winged Foot, Olympic

Bay Hill

Overall it seems kind of a niche question and I don't think just asking folks their opinion in this sample size will establish much, but Palmer and Bay Hill will cut across all sorts of demographics. I love Oakmont's and have been an avid golf fan for decades, but until the USGA put that squirrel on a hat that I got, I had no idea. When I would wear it people wondered about the squirrel - nobody knew. Most folks I play with aren't into logos of courses in other counties, let alone other states.

Represent

The Palmer umbrella has a lot of hoops to navigate in order to legally use so that one is off the list along with ANGC and PV and PB

What? A logos trademark usage rights have something to do with how recognizable it is? That makes zero sense.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Bay Hill

Overall it seems kind of a niche question and I don't think just asking folks their opinion in this sample size will establish much, but Palmer and Bay Hill will cut across all sorts of demographics. I love Oakmont's and have been an avid golf fan for decades, but until the USGA put that squirrel on a hat that I got, I had no idea. When I would wear it people wondered about the squirrel - nobody knew. Most folks I play with aren't into logos of courses in other counties, let alone other states.

Represent

The Palmer umbrella has a lot of hoops to navigate in order to legally use so that one is off the list along with ANGC and PV and PB

What? A logos trademark usage rights have something to do with how recognizable it is? That makes zero sense.

Legally no, but effectively yes.

A trademark that is well known and very recognizable also (likely) has a lot of value, so mis-use (/counterfeiting) is likely to have the trademark owner vigorously defend the mark. A trademark that is not well known and not very valuable has the same right to defend itself...but it's much less likely that the owner is going to pursue the case because of the associated costs.

Bay Hill

Represent

Nobody said that.

Legally no, but effectively yes.

A trademark that is well known and very recognizable also (likely) has a lot of value, so mis-use (/counterfeiting) is likely to have the trademark owner vigorously defend the mark. A trademark that is not well known and not very valuable has the same right to defend itself...but it's much less likely that the owner is going to pursue the case because of the associated costs.

Not necessarily.

Trademarks that are well known started out not well known, pretty much by definition. They didn't get well known without owners in many cases making sure their trademarks are protected and not protecting them invokes a risk of losing the protections. There is value in a trademark whether it is well known, that is the point of registering it in the first place, more often than not.

McArthur Golf Club- The milk bottle is just a really cool and simple logo that stands out on a golf bag, shirt, or hat. Its big, but subtle if that makes sense.

You could go to a golf course, let's say Pinehurst, ask 1000 GOLFERS to identify the McArthur logo, and my guess is less than 10 would know it.

Now if it's the "really cool and simple logo" thread you may be onto something... But "Most Recognizable" .... Not even close.

Great idea, I’ll take you up on that. I’m going to ANGC in February, I will ask there too, maybe I’ll make a trip to pinehurst to conduct our little experiment.

McArthur Golf Club- The milk bottle is just a really cool and simple logo that stands out on a golf bag, shirt, or hat. It’s big, but subtle if that makes sense.

Great idea, I’ll take you up on that. I’m going to ANGC in February, I will ask there too, maybe I’ll make a trip to pinehurst to conduct our little experiment.

Sorry, should have made it clear, I was responding in reference to your post, but not at all talking to you.

You knock yourself out with that though.

McArthur Golf Club- The milk bottle is just a really cool and simple logo that stands out on a golf bag, shirt, or hat. Its big, but subtle if that makes sense.

If I post something and you respond to it then yes you are talking to me, same as I’m responding to you now.

Played today and asked the two I played with and the two caddies, as well as several in the pro shop. They all knew the logo. 11 down 989 to go...stay tuned.

Gosh, I have to admit that I couldn’t name or describe the course logo for any of the listed course other than Merion.

You have more knowledge than most others on this board; you wouldn't be able to describe the Bay Hill or Winged Foot logo?

I don't believe it!

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

Gosh, I have to admit that I couldn’t name or describe the course logo for any of the listed course other than Merion.

You have more knowledge than most others on this board; you wouldn't be able to describe the Bay Hill or Winged Foot logo?

I don't believe it!

I probably would recognize Bay Hill’s logo if I saw it (prior to this thread), but if asked to describe it I might have remembered the umbrella, but I wouldn’t guarantee it. Similar to several others on the original list (which incidentally, Bay Hill wasn’t on), I might recognize them if I saw a picture, but off the top of my head, I really can’t describe them.

EDIT: went back and read the original post. It didn’t actually say anything about describing logos, just which are most recognizable. Odds are upon seeing the logos I probably would recognize several since I’m sure I’ve seen many of them here over the years.

I feel like Bay Hill and it’s not even close.

Well the words are IN the logo so it's not super mysterious like some of the other courses which have no letters in them or just anagrams haha.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

If I post something and you respond to it then yes you are talking to me, same as I’m responding to you now.

Played today and asked the two I played with and the two caddies, as well as several in the pro shop. They all knew the logo. 11 down 989 to go...stay tuned.

Where were you playing? Somewhere not in the vicinity of Port St. Lucie / Jupiter FL?

A little place in Juno Beach. The stipulation was a golf course, not one outside of Martin or Palm Beach Counties. So I went to a golf course, got 11 responses and I have 989 to go. Which I will steadily chop away at however long it takes me.

How many recognize the logo now total? The target was 10 out of 1000 right?

As a matter of fact bring it to your social committee at the club and use it as a trivia question. For what it is worth I have asked 2 friends of mine who aren't big into private clubs and neither of them knew it. One thought out loud thinking... hmmmm milk, it must be from the midwest and cows....... Sand HIlls!!! nope... sorry.

A little place in Juno Beach. The stipulation was a golf course, not one outside of Martin or Palm Beach Counties. So I went to a golf course, got 11 responses and I have 989 to go. Which I will steadily chop away at however long it takes me.

As a matter of fact bring it to your social committee at the club and use it as a trivia question. For what it is worth I have asked 2 friends of mine who aren't big into private clubs and neither of them knew it. One thought out loud thinking... hmmmm milk, it must be from the midwest and cows....... Sand HIlls!!! nope... sorry.

It was 10, but he was so certain that 10/1000 was the number I’m going to prove it wrong. Bringing it up with my members would be an easy way to get over 350 yes votes, as many are members there as well.

I’m a miserable SOB, and if I feel you’re wrong I will destroy you. I demand perfection from myself, and expect it from those around me. And yes that’s a miserable way to live, but it’s gotten me to the top (at least near the top of my industry or anything I have ever attempted). If you come at me with numbers or facts you best be correct, and I didn’t feel those numbers were correct as he proposed them, go to a course and ask a 1000 people. His suggestion was pinehurst, I cannot do that right now, but I can do the experiment as first posited, any golf course. Luckily I play a lot of golf, at other golf courses so I will ask around.

So the number is still at 989, and I will update this every time I conduct “research”’

It was 10, but he was so certain that 10/1000 was the number I’m going to prove it wrong. Bringing it up with my members would be an easy way to get over 350 yes votes, as many are members there as well.

I’m a miserable SOB, and if I feel you’re wrong I will destroy you. I demand perfection from myself, and expect it from those around me. And yes that’s a miserable way to live, but it’s gotten me to the top (at least near the top of my industry or anything I have ever attempted). If you come at me with numbers or facts you best be correct, and I didn’t feel those numbers were correct as he proposed them, go to a course and ask a 1000 people. His suggestion was pinehurst, I cannot do that right now, but I can do the experiment as first posited, any golf course. Luckily I play a lot of golf, at other golf courses so I will ask around.

So the number is still at 989, and I will update this every time I conduct “research”’

God I'd hate to be a dandelion on your golf course! ;-)

Wondering if you were to apply a bit of critical thought, of which I'm certain you are skilled at having reached the top of your industry and everything else you have attempted, do you think the poll results might change as you venture farther away from your hometown where this famous course and logo are located ?

Wondering if you were to apply a bit of critical thought, of which I'm certain you are skilled at having reached the top of your industry and everything else you have attempted, do you think the poll results might change as you venture farther away from your hometown where this famous course and logo are located ?

Perhaps, and that is why I will be asking at every time I tee it up.