2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Winter Golf Withdrawal Symptoms

platgof

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weekdays are no go because it is dark when I get off work, and it has been raining every Saturday(of course.) Raining Sat and snow Sun this week, I feel like Rodney Dangerfield. Still hoping for a Saturday this month?? I am getting some reading in, and I do need to heal up, as well. I try to race R/C cars in the winter, when I feel like doing a 4 hour drive, to and from the track, arghh! But it is something to do.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I'm a marine biologist.

Did you ever pull a Titleist out the blow hole of a giant fish....errr mammal?

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3

It's supposed to be 31 here on Saturday and I'm thinking a quick 18 is more than possible.

It had been a long day by noon today. I saw the sun had peeked out, looked at the phone, it said it was above freezing (not much, but a little), the trees weren’t moving much........

Told my sales guy I’m leaving for a bit, grabbed the clubs and headed to the course (had to pay my bill anyway, so I had to go), ......forgot that we had snow the other day and it hadn’t all melted. Just enough on the ground to make it unplayable. So much for that��

We had snow 2 days after Thanksgiving and then last weekend rain that melted about 95% of the snow. The temps have been pretty low so the fairways and greens will be really firm. I'm thinking frozen fairways give me the chance to be GolfWRX long with the ball just rolling forever.

Yeah, but then VNutz will be WRX++ long!

Our friend VNutz is suffering from a bad case of Seasonal Affective Disorder and with temps in the low 30's only someone stupid committed would be playing.

I've found my own way of coping.

44404287420_307c6d9b98_c.jpg

LOL, someone from Tennessee worried about "winter".

Our winters are "elite" - just a humorous cross reference!

there is always a colder winter somewhere on the map. Just because one lives in a colder environment does not mean his winter isn't cold and snowy.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Plan a trip, here in Boston i am going through the same thing. Gonna need to sneak down south a get a couple rounds in somewhere so i don’t lose my mind.

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

With all the rain we had this summer here in Maryland our course has been pretty much saturated since July. It sure affected my psyche and game to the point I have been pretty much unmotivated to play at all. Got real tired of seeing drives back up 1' in the fairways! So, unless we have a few nice days....oh hell....can't wait to get back out there! :golfer:

The ground here never dried after this summer of relentless rain. I have never seen so much mud, and courses were nearly unplayable. Now winter sneaks in and golf is hard to come by. Rain turning to sleet, and then snow,arghh!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Quit complaining ... help is on the way.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/tn/clarksville?cm_ven=localwx_10day

In the meantime, Netflix is your friend.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Here in Virginia, I’ve been playing in the Golfweek Am Tour during the season for 12 years. We usually play approx. 19 events with 4 two day majors. Always max out the golf course with 120 players.

Starting in October, about 60 of us play a “winter tour” of 5-6 two man team gross/net event right thru the winter. It’s goofy golf sometimes as you need an awl to get a tee in the frozen ground and drives roll out to 300+ yards. But with cart covers, heaters, layers upon layers of clothing...and the occasional flask, it keeps the itch scratched.

Nick

Winter golf in North Carolina isn't so bad. It stays just warm enough to keep playing year round but just chilly enough to keep the tee sheets relatively empty. Plus, the Golfnow rates go way down in the winter.

I played a decent track yesterday for $21 on a hot deal. It was 46 degrees, so most of the more casual players stayed home while only the more enthusiastic players showed up. I think I saw maybe 7 other people out there (one foursome and a few other singles).

It's a nice break from the 4.5 hour rounds at double the cost during the other 8 or so months of the year. And you still get the random 68 degree days in the middle of winter from time to time.

Thinking of taking up yoga - heard it's good for the core and adds flexibility? Now just have to scope out the local gyms and see which one has the best aesthetics.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Winter time in Michigan generally means no golf at all. Although, I have golfed in every month of the year on occasion. Winter time means getting involved in other Hobbies, going to the gym and working out, and tweaking my equipment or practice my putting on indoor greens. Believe it or not, there are more important things in life then golf even though I passionately like the game for its competitive nature and difficulty.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

It was a soggy Sept/Oct and well below normal temps in Nov here in NE Ohio. We are few and far between moving forward but I’m holding out hope for next weekend. Looks like the temps are rising just enough to melt the snow!!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I see how much of the Bobby Jones and Bagger Vance movie dialogue I can recite before the actors actually say the lines.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

I used to go nutso crazy during winter, then I got older (injuries), got a job with regular hours, and had kids, a bunch of them. Winter is actually a great time for me because I can focus on work, my family, etc without thinking “man what I would do to leave right now and play some golf”. It also gives me time to heal my body so I can destroy it during the non-snow seasons.

Snow on the ground is great for my ADD. When the course or range is open nearby, my lunch breaks end up being like 2 or 3 hours long and then I have to explain to my kids why my golf is more important than them having beds to sleep in at night (that last part is a joke, just to be clear).

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Here in the north western corner of VA, we can usually play a little golf over the winter, but course conditions are no where near ideal. My weather "threshold" is 45 deg. with no wind and sunny. Add wind and or cloud cover and the temps have to be higher. Was in Pinehurst for 5 straight days of golf the week after Thanksgiving, so the "golf bug" has retreated into it shell a little.

To keep my competitive juices going during the winter, I play pool 2 or 3 times a week for 2 to 3 hours per session. Scratch at golf, probably a 10 hdcp at pool, so I can play pretty well at times.

Hopefully will be able to get out every now and then during Jan. and Feb. (worst months here). Some chance I might spend a couple of weeks in FL. in March.

Hoping to stay inspired enough to do some speed training during the next few months to try and get my driver SS back to the mid to upper 90's by mid spring. Hovering about 90 right now.

I went out to the range last week after some heavy frost. No one there, but thats not out of the ordinary for a winter weekday morning. Put my money in the ball machine, which feebly clunked and.. no balls. Walked across the deserted range and filled up a bucket, knocking as much ice off the balls as I could. Came back and cleared the frost off the matt. Did my range session, and only as I was leaving did I notice the Closed for Season sign on a rope over the parking lot gate. (I had walked in from the other way)

That is an awesome story. I think it means ‘free range balls all winter.’

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Here in the north western corner of VA, we can usually play a little golf over the winter, but course conditions are no where near ideal. My weather "threshold" is 45 deg. with no wind and sunny. Add wind and or cloud cover and the temps have to be higher. Was in Pinehurst for 5 straight days of golf the week after Thanksgiving, so the "golf bug" has retreated into it shell a little.

To keep my competitive juices going during the winter, I play pool 2 or 3 times a week for 2 to 3 hours per session. Scratch at golf, probably a 10 hdcp at pool, so I can play pretty well at times.

Hopefully will be able to get out every now and then during Jan. and Feb. (worst months here). Some chance I might spend a couple of weeks in FL. in March.

Hoping to stay inspired enough to do some speed training during the next few months to try and get my driver SS back to the mid to upper 90's by mid spring. Hovering about 90 right now.

Fun! Learned to play with my grandpa in his basement, played with my dad almost every night in our basement junior high through high school if neither of us had something taking us out of the house, now play in my basement. If only all the hours I spent in downtown Iowa City in college playing pool had been spent on the range, lol. Favorite pool moment - I was 9 and my great grandpa, my grandpa, my dad and I were down in my grandpa's basement at the farm. I really hadn't learned to play hardly at all. They decided we'd have teams and I got paired with my great grandpa. My dad still claims I looked a little forlorn apparently being competitive and thinking but being way too polite to say I thought I was getting the wrong guy, lol. Well, at 87, rail thin and stooped over he got his turn right after they broke and proceeded to run the table. My dad claims I was mesmerized watching him and I still remember my grandpa's deep, booming laugh when they lost. I had my grandpa's disassembled 9 foot Brunswick with the ultra thick slate and woven leather pockets for a long time after he passed away, but we never had a place big enough for it and I eventually gave it to a cousin who wanted to restore it and he still enjoys it. When my folks decided to make room in their basement many years ago, I got my dad's.

Sorry for going on, just brought back memories. 9 o'clock was always time for ice cream and pool so I think in about 40 minutes I'm headed to the basement - sadly no one to play with, but I still like making shots.

Have a great winter and think a few shots ahead!

Fun! Learned to play with my grandpa in his basement, played with my dad almost every night in our basement junior high through high school if neither of us had something taking us out of the house, now play in my basement. If only all the hours I spent in downtown Iowa City in college playing pool had been spent on the range, lol. Favorite pool moment - I was 9 and my great grandpa, my grandpa, my dad and I were down in my grandpa's basement at the farm. I really hadn't learned to play hardly at all. They decided we'd have teams and I got paired with my great grandpa. My dad still claims I looked a little forlorn apparently being competitive and thinking but being way too polite to say I thought I was getting the wrong guy, lol. Well, at 87, rail thin and stooped over he got his turn right after they broke and proceeded to run the table. My dad claims I was mesmerized watching him and I still remember my grandpa's deep, booming laugh when they lost. I had my grandpa's disassembled 9 foot Brunswick with the ultra thick slate and woven leather pockets for a long time after he passed away, but we never had a place big enough for it and I eventually gave it to a cousin who wanted to restore it and he still enjoys it. When my folks decided to make room in their basement many years ago, I got my dad's.

Sorry for going on, just brought back memories. 9 o'clock was always time for ice cream and pool so I think in about 40 minutes I'm headed to the basement - sadly no one to play with, but I still like making shots.

Have a great winter and think a few shots ahead!

I love playing pool, wish I had one in the basement. I don't get to play much anymore, just rare occasions going to a bar that has one.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen