Broke 80 for the second time today...

LeftDaddy

I shot 79 roughly a year and a half ago, and it was funny how it was a good round out of literally nowhere, and I was 1 over standing on the 15th tee but proceeded to go bogey-bogey-bogey-triple for a smooth 79 (and the triple was a real yakker). The way it all played out, I kinda felt like I just got lucky that day and caught lightning in a bottle, so I've wanted / hoped that I would do it again just to prove to myself it was no fluke (and also do it where I didn't ralph all over myself on 18).

I played some really good, and really terrible, golf in between, but found a good fix about 3 weeks ago that I feel really good about. Have only played twice after the changes (shot 85 two weeks ago).

Fast forward to today...start double-par-par-double, but then found myself at 4 over standing on the 12th tee. Made a terrible bogey with a wedge in my hand on that hole. Now 5 over going to 13 (tough hole). I made the most ridiculous par after a terrible drive...one of those fist-pump pars. Pars on 14 and 15. I squeaked out a bogey on 16, and it was one of those where I told myself "just make the bogey, don't let it become a double". Then made a terrible par on 17 (only had 200 in to a par 5 and hit a gawd-awful 3 iron, then lipped out birdie putt).

So I need a bogey or better on 18 and I'm golden. But I can't tell you how many times I've stood on that tee box needing a good score and blew it. I hit a duck hook drive that landed in a tough spot. Hit a poor punch out to greenside bunker on second (short hole). Had a terrible lie above my feet in the bunker (which is hell for me), but hit one of the better bunker shots I've ever hit to 5 feet. Really wanted the par for 78 but was tentative with the putt protecting the 79. But I did it!!! I guess I yakked it up a little on 18, but I kept my wits about me and remained focused on what I had to do! I shot an 80 about 2 months ago needing a bogey on 18 but doubled it. This time I made much better choices.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments, guys. Good post, swisstrader98, you got me and I deserve it.

A couple of points to add, though:

- Knowing score vs not - we discussed this in another thread. I can’t avoid knowing my score. I’m a bit of a human calculator and it is therefore a fate I can’t avoid, so I’m more focused on how to manage things under “pressure” (and this was part of what I was so happy about yesterday...I started to be well aware that it could happen on 12)

- Short game - I know how important the short game is, but ironically it was the worst part of my game yesterday. Like Tiger, I’m “stuck between release patterns” ? Seriously, though, I’m still too mechanical with the new swing on the touch shots. I lost 4 of my 7 strokes yesterday with short game, although I guess I did save one ridiculous par, so net net I probably lost 3 strokes of my 7 with short game. That may still prove your point, but I’m just saying that yesterday was one of my poorest short game efforts in a long time.

Thanks for “listening “ anyway. I’ve posted about a lot of my heartbreaks, just figured I would finally post about overcoming all that. ?

We have a brag on yourself thread around here. There’s nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishments. Screw the haters man. Good job!!

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

• 2 weeks later...

His best scores come when he generally puts the ball in the center of the green, instead of trying to drop it in super close.

The only time he deviates from this is when center green will produce a steep downhill putt.

This type of course management is a de-stressing process that frees JP to swing loosely, relaxed.

The only time this approach is problematic is when you’re playing and there are huge greens.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Super jealous. I made a big push to try and break 80 before the kid was born but couldn’t do it. I shot lots of 81 and 82s.

Unfortunately my last 2 rounds have been 105 and 95. 10 stroke improvement is great but after not playing much over the last year or so, I’m facing an uphill battle to get the game back.

I typically waste a shot every other hole and score a double. Or I'll nail four pars in a row, and someone will say "Wow you are on fire. Can't last for long yuk yuk." And sure enough, another double.

Congrats to you! I have shot 80 maybe 7 or 8 times, and always look back to the doubles I have duffed, mostly fatted approach shots and bad follow ups.

Come spring, I am doing it. 2019 I turn 70 and would love to shoot in the 70s before I shoot my age!!

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Congratulations to the OP! I broke 80 this year with a 79 in similar fashion to you - had a really bad hole on 16 after hitting 2 shots OB. Should have had a 76 or so if I played the way I did all day on that hole but that's golf.

I haven't been able to get back to sub 80 so I hope the day comes soon when I'm in the 2x club!

Congrats LeftDaddy.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Great comments everyone. For those that haven't been able to make it happen, believe me, I feel your pain. My first one just felt a bit "lucky" frankly...just one of those days where the swing was right and I can't really explain why. I've had other days where I could tell you exactly why, but I didn't get my 79 or better. The 79 the other day was mainly about hitting good iron approaches, keeping tee balls on the planet, and avoiding big numbers.

What has generally seemed to work for me, is #1 GIRs (which means decent tee shots and good iron approaches), and #2 avoiding the blowups (I can score well if bogey is the worst I do), and #3 is putting (I've been putting well lately and that definitely played a part the other day...back in April where I had it all "figured out" my putter was off and so I wasted many strokes that way).

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome. Take it shot by shot and hit your targets. The score is the score. Putting yourself in position to score in the 70's is what makes you shoot in the 70's

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

• 5 weeks later...

I also have been close a few times as well, but breaking 80 is very hard to do for me. 70's is a very good score, as I have shot 81 and 82, and it was not easy. Last time I shot 82 with three doubles? Sick. Hopefully 2019 will be the year, for sure!! Once I get the irons dialed in, yada yada....

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting an old thread because I broke 80 for the 3rd time today. I'm sure this will bring out a hater or two, and that's fine. Call it a brag or passive brag or humble brag or whatever...I just like "talking" about golf on here with you guys, and my 79 today was a pretty good story (and hopefully this helps those of you still trying to get there).

Here's the context...I've been so close with my ballstriking lately; have some really good days and some so-so days. It has been 65 deg F + all week in VA, so I've played 3x this week. I joined a new club recently and have been forcing the issue a bit by getting out as much as I can, even when it was coldish. I've gone in to a few rounds thinking I was going to light it up, but something always "undoes" me and then I end up shooting my usual 85. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever figure out my ballstriking for a whole round.

Here's the net summary of my round today, and then I'll provide a little more detail. I shot 79 but with a triple and a double. It was my first time breaking 80 on my new course, and my new course is harder than my old course. I could have easily shot 75/76 today, and here's why.

I started with two pars but then tripled #3. It was a stupid triple (as they all are), and I was angry at myself for being a moron, but I could tell I was "feeling it" somewhat so I stayed focused. I made the turn at 3 over (1 bogey, 1 birdie), birdied #10 and parred 11 to get to 2 over through 11. Here's the kicker though...it had sprinkled rain a few times but nothing much, but when I holed my birdie on 10 it was raining pretty strong. Not strong enough to quit (especially considering the round I was having), but strong enough to be bothersome. It continued to rain even harder as I fortunately made par on 11. The walk between 11 and 12 takes a minute or two, so by the time I got to 12 tee I was pretty wet and so was my stuff. The rain was not in the forecast really, but I should have quit at this point but didn't want to.

I bought a new Costco Sun Mountain bag, and tried to make it light, so I didn't have a lot of extras. I did have rain gloves and an extra towel, but apparently my rain gloves are old. So for the next 5 holes, I could barely hold on to my club despite using every glove I had available to me and wiping down every club as I prepared to use it. I started spraying the ball everywhere. Made a double on 12 and ended up going +4 through the 5-hole stretch 12-16. Fortunately, the rain stopped when I was on 14 and so stuff started to dry enough by the time I got to 17. At this point, though, I'm 6 over with two tough holes to play. I make a solid par on 17 but now it is getting really dark and foggy. I hit a great drive on 18, but could not find a yardage to the flag, and couldn't see the hole at all. I knew roughly where everything was, and I looked everywhere for a sprinkler but couldn't find one. So I played a club that I knew would be enough, and hit one of the best iron shots of the day. However, it flew the green and left me a chip up a steep hill back to the green. I gagged on the chip, but was able to get up and down after that for bogey and a 79.

It is tempting to say the rain cost me 2-3 strokes at least, and that is probably true. But it might have had a positive effect too. I was so focused on not letting that ruin my good round that it took my mind off of the "score" somewhat. The only stroke where the score affected me was the chip back to the hole on 18, and I choked all over it. But despite the rain causing me to miss shots left and right, I was able to just execute the best I could and mostly salvage bogeys despite some really poor shots. I'm still ticked that it rained, because I'm convinced I could have shot 75/76 without it. But maybe it helped me on the mental side a little bit. And I'd like to make an excuse for not having the yardage on 18, and I did walk around looking for a marker of some kind. Annoyingly, I found one after I hit my shot. I knew when I hit the shot that it would be long, but I was hoping not too long. And I still could have parred the hole from behind it...wasn't the toughest pitch / chip. But I do think the darkness / fogginess cost me a stroke too...

Anyway, a bit of a crazy "breaking 80" story but wanted to share...now flame away.

Yell it from the roof tops...great job. These things are the reason we play this game!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Great job, man!

Sometimes the most respectable rounds are the ones in which we're bouncing back and forth between occasional pars and salvaging what seem like boring bogeys. I've had a few like that.

You'd think it would be more common that we plunk one out there, knock it up just short of the green, pitch it on and drop it in 2 for the easy bogey but so often we make things way harder on ourselves by hitting longer shots into worse positions.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Awesome to hear. The thing about a bad start is you can right the ship and still score what you did. I have learned to break up the 18 holes into ones I can score on and ones I need to focus and be happy with getting par on. Usually splitting into 3 holes work well or circle your scoring holes and square up the harder ones. Either way, dont get ahead of yourself because that is when we most often make a big number.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness