Ping G400 Fairway vs. G400 Stretch

kcd38

Can't decide which version to pull the trigger on. I haven't been able to hit both in a bay so I wanted to see if any of you had compared the distances between the two. My SS is around 105 so I likely would like to use the Tour shaft in an x flex.

I have heard that the G400 range is a little shorter than other fairway woods, but I love the look and the low profile.I would ideally like to have my fairway wood carry around 240-245.

Any information is appreciated.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with the stretch being 13 deg... it might not be the best option when being concerned with achieving a specific minimum carry distance. I think they are plenty long and very accurate woods and they may replace the 917 woods in my bag very soon. (the Titleist woods have always been the best blend of distance and accuracy for me)

Titleist TSR2 10 deg with Ventus TR Blue 6

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 deg 3 wood with Ventus TR Blue 7

Titleist TSR2  18 deg 5 wood with Ventus TR Blue 7

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges ?? 

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

I've only hit the regular g400 3wood with alta shaft. Even cranked to big minus I was able to carry it to the net @ 220yds off the mat. For myself I'm thinking 3wood stretch with tour 75 shaft. And a 5 wood with the alta. I'm around 105 ss with my driver.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Can't decide which version to pull the trigger on. I haven't been able to hit both in a bay so I wanted to see if any of you had compared the distances between the two. My SS is around 105 so I likely would like to use the Tour shaft in an x flex.

I have heard that the G400 range is a little shorter than other fairway woods, but I love the look and the low profile.I would ideally like to have my fairway wood carry around 240-245.

That’s a tough ask with a 105 SS with driver I’m assuming. You’d basically need driver type spin and launch numbers which would not be effective at all into greens. What do you plan on using it for?

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

That's a tough ask with a 105 SS with driver I'm assuming. You'd basically need driver type spin and launch numbers which would not be effective at all into greens. What do you plan on using it for?

That was the average carry with my old M2, but i am more focused on using the 3 wood out of the fairway. I would rather lose carry distance, but be able to hit it off of the deck into greens

That's a tough ask with a 105 SS with driver I'm assuming. You'd basically need driver type spin and launch numbers which would not be effective at all into greens. What do you plan on using it for?

That was the average carry with my old M2, but i am more focused on using the 3 wood out of the fairway. I would rather lose carry distance, but be able to hit it off of the deck into greens

I hit a tour issue m2 that gave me driver like numbers but was basically worthless from the fairway into greens. I'm hitting a a g400 5 wood turned down a notch right now as my only fairway wood and can't say enough good things about it. Still great from the tee and so easy to hit from the ground. My driver ball speed is a touch under 160 and I carry the g400 about 235 on a perfect strike, I use it primarily on shots into par 5's.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

If you primary focus is from the fairway to land and stay on the green, I’d say go with the regular. I started with the regular g400 3w and ended up ditching it for the stretch. There were a few reasons I switched. First, I did not have a big difference in distance between the 3w ans 5w. Plus when I cranked the 5w down 1 degree it’s was almost the same, plus when the 5w is at -1 it’s open. Such an easy club to hit a nice high baby fade into a par 5 green. Another reason is I didn’t really enjoy the standard 3w off the tee. So, I played just the driver and 5w for a bit.

Picked up the stretch and I love it off the tee. The thing is a rocket and for me just goes straight. I usually play around 6800 yards and use the stretch off the t more than my driver. It isnt because the driver is bad, I just try to hit my preferred numbers into a green.

I will say I can launch the stretch of the deck but I haven’t had much luck with it holding greens.

Regarding distance, I didn’t see and real increase or loss in distance from my TM 3w and the regular g400 wood.

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

I hit a tour issue m2 that gave me driver like numbers but was basically worthless from the fairway into greens. I'm hitting a a g400 5 wood turned down a notch right now as my only fairway wood and can't say enough good things about it. Still great from the tee and so easy to hit from the ground. My driver ball speed is a touch under 160 and I carry the g400 about 235 on a perfect strike, I use it primarily on shots into par 5's.

My buddy is playing the G400 5 wood at 16.5 with a three wood length shaft and is absolutely loving it. Basically a 4 wood. So much easier to elevate for him than be 3 wood, and much more accurate with little is any loss of distance. I’m honking of trying one myself.

I know the loft is only 1.5*, but the Stretch will be harder to hit off the deck. I would lean more towards the reg. G400 FW. If you want distance, try the Rogue. She is a beast!

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

My buddy is playing the G400 5 wood at 16.5 with a three wood length shaft and is absolutely loving it. Basically a 4 wood. So much easier to elevate for him than be 3 wood, and much more accurate with little is any loss of distance. I’m honking of trying one myself.

that sounds like a good idea. I have a tensei blue pro laying around. Hmmmm

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Yeah, no reason you can't put the stretch shaft into the regular head. Best of both worlds I'd say.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Stretch is most recognized as a driver replacement, not a fantastic fairway wood.

grab a G400 14.5 3-wood with the Tour 75 shaft in it and be on your way.

Stretch is most recognized as a driver replacement, not a fantastic fairway wood.

grab a G400 14.5 3-wood with the Tour 75 shaft in it and be on your way.

Thanks Mr. Puckett. I'll get on my way

• 1 month later...

Can anyone comment on how the G400 fairways and stretch sit when put in the -1* setting? In my opinion, they sit incredibly closed in the standard position, which is surprising to me because of how open the G400 driver sits. I'm thinking about the Stretch as I rarely hit 3 wood off the ground anyway, but would have to see the face angle open up first.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Mizuno Pro 225 5-PW | Dynamic Gold 120 S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

The fairway woods sit incredible closed. I took my 5W and put it on the big - and it looks like it sits a tad open now.

Thanks. I may head to a local shop and see how it looks turned down.

Good luck trying to hit the stretch off the ground.

Like I said, I rarely hit a 3 wood off the ground. Especially in tournaments. There just aren't many occasions where I'm trying to fly a 3 wood on to a Par 5 green. It's usually my 2 hybrid or a long iron. Otherwise it's probably a lay up anyway. Looking for something that's 15-20 yards shorter than driver off the tee. I have my M1 15* turned down -2* right now anyway, and I hit it perfectly fine off the turf. I assure you I could elevate the Stretch just fine off the ground if I needed to.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Mizuno Pro 225 5-PW | Dynamic Gold 120 S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

Good luck trying to hit the stretch off the ground.

I have the stretch and don’t have any problem getting it off the ground. Now accuracy is a different story ha. I bought my stretch as a driver replacement more then for long par 5’s. For the latter I’m more sussessful laying up anyways so I rarely get the stretch out past the tee box.

I JUST got my g400 fairway last week with the alta shaft, and used it on two par 5's, but off the deck it's great. I actually have more trouble off the tee, but thats probably mental for me.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I JUST got my g400 fairway last week with the alta shaft, and used it on two par 5's, but off the deck it's great. I actually have more trouble off the tee, but thats probably mental for me.

Off the tee just hit it off the ground. Same problem for me. When it is on the tee I try to hit it more like a driver with a positive A of A. Put it on the ground and hit down on it

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Off the tee just hit it off the ground. Same problem for me. When it is on the tee I try to hit it more like a driver with a positive A of A. Put it on the ground and hit down on it

Yeah thats what I need to transition to, same with my irons. I havent even had a solid range session with the G400 yet, only a dozen hits in an indoor bay. I'm sure I'll settle into it.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

• 3 months later...

This is simple. The Stretch is designed to be a chicken stick off the tee block. If your focus is off the deck, you answer your own question by selecting the non-Stretch model.

To have a Stretch and use it effectively off the deck, you need to:

1) Be a very good ball striker

2) Have really solid swing speed, and not just off the tee

3) Be willing to have a lot of rollout.

You can see this easily side-by-side with a 3-wood and 5-wood. Generally, the 3 is going to roll on +8-+20. A 5 wood isn't. A Stretch is more "2-wood".

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.