2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best Japanese Driver

kacer

Lol.. what ever needs to be pushed will be on the list...

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

Lol.. what ever needs to be pushed will be on the list...

? there used to be a group that sold lime green shafts on a golf forum for a ton of money. They worked their membership up into a fever pitch and everyone had to have one. It was a basic “pump and dump” just like penny stocks or what day traders do.

TSG reminds me of the same. They would pump up a certain driver or company, create a bit of a fever pitch and then weeks later they would announce they will no longer be carrying a certain brand, they will no longer be doing business with that company, and then bad mouth them.

Sadly I lost all respect for them after this happened more than once.

I'm totally sick of all the hype from TM, Callaway, PING, et al. I'm going back to JDM. Already have a Fourteen CT-112 that I will NEVER get rid of.

Anyone have any experience with the Bridgestone Tour B line of drivers. Thinking about picking up a "3" model.

That 112 is a great club. I wish I hadn’t sold mine. Maybe time to go looking for a replacement. I have a tourstage x drive 707 now with fuji pro shaft which is a good combo but I think the 112 is a super sleeper.

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

• 3 months later...

I finally have had a chance to play a couple of rounds with the new jBeam ZII driver. Previous driver was a Callaway epic sub zero with kuro kage dual core xd shaft. The jBeam driver is very good. Nice mid high ball flight, great feel, metallic “ping” sound, forgiving, although I haven’t missed the center of the club face too often. I can’t say it is any longer than the epic but I only have two rounds and they are my first rounds since October. I think it is going to be a good purchase. The best thing about the driver is the feel. It’s hard to describe. Soft and springy is the best I can think of. I use Bridgestone b330s balls and I think that has something to do with the soft feel off of the face.

I have the onoff Shingo I think 358. Feels like above nice and hot. I am longer with it than my ryoma, but shaft is an inch longer too so not apples to apples. I have a epic forged coming from over there just because it was dirt cheap and I am so bad off the tee I rotate a hot hand or placebo for the day I should say so I don’t mind having 2-4 drivers at any time.

The onoff 358 labospec is fantastic though.

Currently been using 10° lofted Baldo 8C Craft trajectory 1 driver which I bought from a chain store of where I work at.

The head itself is actually released more than 5 years ago but actually is relatively high launching among the same lofted ones and is actually low spinning.

The volume of the head itself is only 400cc but it looks more of like an 430cc stuffs.

Baldo 8C trajectory series have another types of it called 8C trajectory 2 driver which is 460cc version.( for the golfers looking for the bigger headed driver, I assume Trajectory2 would be better)

However, living in Japan and working part time at a golf equipment store, I feel that JBeam’s BM435 series is the most popular driver head among relatively mid to smaller sized Japanese companies.

I myself have actually hit the BM-435 Black driver. Since the structure of the head enables us to rotate the heads easier, the head it self is a bit of like an anti-slice model( but not too anti-slice due to the face angle.) However, the launch is natural(not too high but not too low) and the ball speed is a beast.

For people seeking for the anti-left driver, I assume that stuffs like BM-535 would be better.

Odd Job

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

• 5 weeks later...

The S-Yard T.388 is the best driver I've had by far. I don't get to play that often these days so I wanted to get something with a more forgiving bigger head. I ended up buying the new Cobra F9 9.5 after seeing raving reviews all over YouTube but I couldn't seem to hit it as well but wanted to have an objective result so I took my S-Yard, the F9 and my old Titleist 913 and did a test on the sim today and was quite surprised the S-Yard T.388 outperformed all 3 by quite some margin (eg. Carry, total distance, ball speed, etc). Above all, the feel was also the best.

• 2 weeks later...

> @johnnypro said:

> I'm totally sick of all the hype from TM, Callaway, PING, et al. I'm going back to JDM. Already have a Fourteen CT-112 that I will NEVER get rid of.

>

>

>

> Anyone have any experience with the Bridgestone Tour B line of drivers. Thinking about picking up a "3" model.

Just picked up a glued hosel TOUR B XD-5 9.5 degree with Speeder Evolution II 661X. Psyched. Last Glued hosel was the Ping i20 and that was a bomber, just impossible to tame. Hoping for more stability and a nice medium flight out of this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm finding the Honma TW737's as long as my F9 but much straighter. I have the 455 in Vizard Type A stiff, definitely a little stiff but not much, very straight, seems somewhat workable but mostly wants to go straight, really nice dull feel and sound (I like dull feel and sound). The 460 with Vizard Type Z regular is a bit longer, very straight, not workable but that's OK, sound definitely tinnier. I may try to pick up a 455 with a regular flex shaft, but I don't need to, as either of these plays quite well for my game. I didn't have high expectations, given that I tried a XXIO driver, current model, and it did nothing but go left and was short to boot. It was nice picking up the Honma's for cheap ($179 at PGA Superstore and eBay).

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

These are the drivers in rotation now..

efvv7kjk5t1s.jpg

05fproexebh8.jpg

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

> @DrSchteeve said:

> I'm finding the Honma TW737's as long as my F9 but much straighter. I have the 455 in Vizard Type A stiff, definitely a little stiff but not much, very straight, seems somewhat workable but mostly wants to go straight, really nice dull feel and sound (I like dull feel and sound). The 460 with Vizard Type Z regular is a bit longer, very straight, not workable but that's OK, sound definitely tinnier. I may try to pick up a 455 with a regular flex shaft, but I don't need to, as either of these plays quite well for my game. I didn't have high expectations, given that I tried a XXIO driver, current model, and it did nothing but go left and was short to boot. It was nice picking up the Honma's for cheap ($179 at PGA Superstore and eBay).

I have a 737 455 and 747 460. While both are good the 747 sounds better than almost any driver I can remember (I say this and it’s not even in the bag right now. Getting better numbers out of g410 plus Kiyoshi white combo.

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

> @Kingcat990 said:

> Always have been tempted to try the cadero grips.

The new pentagon caderos are very good and an improvement over the previous model.

> @LionGolfer said:

> > @Kingcat990 said:

> > Always have been tempted to try the cadero grips.

> The new pentagon caderos are very good and an improvement over the previous model.

>

Well, I gotta try one in my driver. I haven't picked up a japanese grip I didn't like.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

• 3 weeks later...

> @elwhippy said:

> Why the assumption a **** market head will in some way be superior? If they were so far ahead of the competition the whole planet would be using **** market heads and not spending millions each week on TM, Cally etc...

I think one reason why your last statement is true is because tm, cally titty etc spend millions on marketing and the jdm guys don't and probably can't. And also most are suckers for marketing messages. That said, I do agree jdm should not be assumed to be superior off the bat.

• 1 month later...

> @Hotdocta said:

> I wanted to love the Miura hayate. I was 15 yards shorter and 700rpm greater spin compared to my gen2 0811x

Yeah.. I tried this too. Very high launching and spinning. Defintely wrong head profile for me.

heres a few heads that are pretty low spin but produce different flights .

jbeam 435 , prgr egg 7, astro tour v3, onoff type s, proceed justick, epon 101 Yamaha v4.6 ,callaway erc 3 freheit the G..... all full body, boxy style heads that hide 450/460 cc very well. these hit the ball pretty flat and lower so you can go a lower kick shaft or higher lofted head and pick up some more "air miles".

roddio s-tuning, ryoma d1, prgr egg 2015, onoff type d, kamui pro tp, taylor made tp 09, syard t388 have a more elongated face and low falling triangle shape back, that gives the ball a bit more height from the tee and area bit easier to work as a rule. not simple point shoot.

the roddio and kamui pro are especially good to work.

of the boxy ones, the cally erc, justick, epon 101, jbeam 425 tour , NOT 435 are good to move about .

for pure distance and no movement

jbeam 435. astro v2, ryoma maxima, have been tough to beat over the years for pure distance.

hope this helps.

owari !

> @vroom said:

> Ryoma Maxima is the bets driver for me so far. Not the D1

Which Ryoma Maxima?

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993