Titleist's new TS 2 & TS 3 driver - shot @ 2018 US Open

GolfWRX

For you guys that was fit into Smoke 70 6.5 into your TS 3-wood, what swing speed did you have?

I'm 103Mph with my current 917F3 @42.5" and there is an amazing Black Friday offer for TS Fairway with Smoke 70 6.0 and 6.5, but no opportunity to test first. Tempted to buy and trial by error :-)

104.2 mph

It tested well, numbers were impressive. Took it to the course and was disappointed. I ordered a mitsubishi diamana BF in a 70 Xflex. I've only got one round in with it because we have had a very cold snowy November here in IL but I was definitely a lot happier with it durring that round. (I played a 9 hole course twice and didnt bring my driver)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was fit week before last for a TS3.. First time I’ve actually been through a legitimate fitting in 50 years of playing golf.

Ended up ordering a 9.5 TS3 with a HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g shaft, set at B1, with a +2g weight set neutral. The heavier shaft, as well as the heavier weight, was recommended to eliminate a tendency to pull sots to the left with lighter shafts. The B1 was my preferred setting on previous Titleist drivers to flatten the lie slightly to fit my swing. My preferred drive is a relatively straight shot, with a slight fade that drops to the right.

TS3 arrived Wednesday and played for first time today. No range time, straight to the course.

Guess. I should have gone through a fitting sooner, as the driver was great from the very first tee.

I was able to control trajectory, and all but two shots had the slight fade I prefer (those two still went right, but more than I anticipated and aligned for.)

I know some typically state unrealistic gains in distance, but I can honestly say this driver was longer than my last driver, and on two holes in particular was 10-15 yards longer than my typical good drives on these holes.

Club looked great, sounded great, and I was very pleased with the feel of the shaft.

I should be good for at least a couple of years.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Do you guys think the Speeder 661 Evo TS in Stiff (no upcharge from Titleist it seems) is suitable for someone with 97-101 swing speed ? Medium transition. i would demo it, but its such an old shaft, no one has it. just really curious.

Its either the 661 TS Stiff or the Tensei 55 X-Stiff at this point. The Smoke and EV white feels slightly boardy to me. i like something with a little snap.

I would think it would fit your SS perfectly, the only question for how you will get along with it is how you load the shaft. When you say "medium transition" do you feel a slight pause at the top/do you let your hands "drop into the slot" feeling? If you are it could still work well for you but there may be other options that might give you more kick through the ball with that type of swing. I will say that it does have a bit more snap to it than the Smoke IMO but not as much as something like the Even Flow Blue that comes stock in the Rogue. There really are a ton of no-upcharge options for the TS2/TS3 so I can't imagine you not finding something just right.

I would say i have a slight pause, but rotate pretty aggressively. On the Titleist shaft chart, it doesnt seem like a "TS - tour spec" shaft, since it sits in the middle along with other mid/mid shafts like the Blueboards, V2's and even the Tensei AV55(which i like). I just like the idea of a 661 shaft since its very popular back in the day, and im looking for something "new". . But the "TS" name scares me a little because im not sure if i can handle the profile.

I currently play the Matrix 6Q3 which is also a mid/mid shaft, just looking to make a change to see where it goes.

You shouldn't worry about the 'TS' on the EVO TS - it's a mid/mid shaft that plays on the slightly lower launch side of mid. Good shaft, and really nice for a no upcharge upgrade! You'd be perfectly fine for the Stiff.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

I don't know what it is with me and Titleist drivers but I just cannot get the spin down to where I need. Got a TS3 8.5 paired it with a hzrdus black still spinning it 3000 rpms. Guess it's back to the m1 440 8.5.

Did you go through a fitting for it?

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Do you guys think the Speeder 661 Evo TS in Stiff (no upcharge from Titleist it seems) is suitable for someone with 97-101 swing speed ? Medium transition. i would demo it, but its such an old shaft, no one has it. just really curious.

Its either the 661 TS Stiff or the Tensei 55 X-Stiff at this point. The Smoke and EV white feels slightly boardy to me. i like something with a little snap.

I would think it would fit your SS perfectly, the only question for how you will get along with it is how you load the shaft. When you say "medium transition" do you feel a slight pause at the top/do you let your hands "drop into the slot" feeling? If you are it could still work well for you but there may be other options that might give you more kick through the ball with that type of swing. I will say that it does have a bit more snap to it than the Smoke IMO but not as much as something like the Even Flow Blue that comes stock in the Rogue. There really are a ton of no-upcharge options for the TS2/TS3 so I can't imagine you not finding something just right.

I would say i have a slight pause, but rotate pretty aggressively. On the Titleist shaft chart, it doesnt seem like a "TS - tour spec" shaft, since it sits in the middle along with other mid/mid shafts like the Blueboards, V2's and even the Tensei AV55(which i like). I just like the idea of a 661 shaft since its very popular back in the day, and im looking for something "new". . But the "TS" name scares me a little because im not sure if i can handle the profile.

I currently play the Matrix 6Q3 which is also a mid/mid shaft, just looking to make a change to see where it goes.

You shouldn't worry about the 'TS' on the EVO TS - it's a mid/mid shaft that plays on the slightly lower launch side of mid. Good shaft, and really nice for a no upcharge upgrade! You'd be perfectly fine for the Stiff.

How is the overall profile of the 661 TS ? I dont like boardy shafts.. i prefer some kick.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

How is the overall profile of the 661 TS ? I dont like boardy shafts.. i prefer some kick.

That's the shaft I play in my TS2 in an X flex and I love it. Perfect fit for my swing and not boardy at all for me. There is a nice kick for sure but it all depends on how you load the shaft. My avg swing speed is 110 with a pretty aggressive transition and a quick tempo so take that for what it's worth. I've experimented with a slower tempo/transition with it and it still works well but doesn't feel as good and I lose some distance.

Compared to something like an Even Flow Blue you wont feel as much kick but for someone with a quicker tempo/aggressive transition the controlled kick of the 661 TS is a much better match than the Even Flow most of the time as you will see comparable distance but the misses will be minimized.

Ok, reading back through our back and forth I would say definitely give the 661 a try if you can before you buy. If it feels a bit too boardy some of the Fuji Pro shafts are also no-upcharge or another option would be the non-Tour Spec 661 if it's available.

I don’t know what it is with me and Titleist drivers but I just cannot get the spin down to where I need. Got a TS3 8.5 paired it with a hzrdus black still spinning it 3000 rpms. Guess it’s back to the m1 440 8.5.

All in your head imo (and strike). When i got fit for my ts3 i think i seen 1 strike over 3000 which was completely heeled. I had my m1 side by side and time after time spin was 2000-2200 with both drivers. Mishits seemed to stay v straight with the ts3 compared to my m1

Anyone know the MOI value for TS2 and TS3?

I did a very exensive test between TS2, TS3 and G400 Max hitting 150 balls with each one outside on the range today.

TS2 must be very close to G400 Max in forgiveness?

Interesting note during my test, when you have mishits on the club face TS2 and G400 is very forgiving, but when you have a bad swing coming wrong into the ball either a pull or push I think both those clubs were way more punsihing than TS3. But I assume that's the logic because of the weigthing etc, but anyway, it was very noticeable.

I had the most straight drives with TS2 and G400 Max, but in total dispersion (including the really bad misses both left and right) all clubs were the same.

I had a "fake" fairway, and rough on the sides of it. Outside of this rough I visualized "out" to the left and "water" to the right. I shot 450 balls alternating all three clubs every second shot.

I had most fairway hits with TS2, but also about 20 out/water of the 150 balls.

With TS3 I had least number of fairway hits, but all drives that missed fairway ended up in the rough. Not a single ball out or in the water.

Not an easy decision between TS2 and TS3 :-)

Anyone know the MOI value for TS2 and TS3?

I did a very exensive test between TS2, TS3 and G400 Max hitting 150 balls with each one outside on the range today.

TS2 must be very close to G400 Max in forgiveness?

Interesting note during my test, when you have mishits on the club face TS2 and G400 is very forgiving, but when you have a bad swing coming wrong into the ball either a pull or push I think both those clubs were way more punsihing than TS3. But I assume that's the logic because of the weigthing etc, but anyway, it was very noticeable.

I had the most straight drives with TS2 and G400 Max, but in total dispersion (including the really bad misses both left and right) all clubs were the same.

I had a "fake" fairway, and rough on the sides of it. Outside of this rough I visualized "out" to the left and "water" to the right. I shot 450 balls alternating all three clubs every second shot.

I had most fairway hits with TS2, but also about 20 out/water of the 150 balls.

With TS3 I had least number of fairway hits, but all drives that missed fairway ended up in the rough. Not a single ball out or in the water.

Not an easy decision between TS2 and TS3 :-)

Based on claimed MOI numbers, the TS2 should sit right below the G400 Max and right above the standard G400....so very high MOI! If this is true, the TS2 is likely the second highest MOI driver currently on the market. I think it will come down to looks and feel if you are choosing between the G400 Max and the Titlesist. Titleist claims that their research shows that at a certain point, increasing MOI will actually make some people swing a little slower so they stopped at the MOI number that they wanted in the TS2.

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

Mizuno STG 15* Ventus Blue 7x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 5

I had a fitting a couple of weeks ago with a Titleist rep at a club near me. Choose to test the TM-B irons and TS drivers against what's in my signature. My gear had higher ball speed/distance and better dispersion than the Titleist offerings. My driver is from 2014, and the irons are circa 2011..........

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

I had a fitting a couple of weeks ago with a Titleist rep at a club near me. Choose to test the TM-B irons and TS drivers against what's in my signature. My gear had higher ball speed/distance and better dispersion than the Titleist offerings. My driver is from 2014, and the irons are circa 2011..........

I’d love to see that data.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

I'd love to see that data.

I have the specs of the the Titleist build that was sent to me by the rep but it did not include the ball/club data from that day :(

I added missing items to your bag. I read your post out loud in a Thurston Howell III voice after reading your signature and it was way more funny..

Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, Superstroke.

FW: Tour Edge Exotics 15 Fujikura BangVoo Rombax X tipped 1/16"

HY: Fourteen UT716 16*/21*/26* + Diamana Thump/Tour AD, Superstroke.

Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - gw + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.

Wedges: Epon Tour 51*/57*, Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.

Putter: Rife Barbados island.

Ball: Honma TW-G1x

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist -ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I added missing items to your bag. I read your post out loud in a Thurston Howell III voice after reading your signature and it was way more funny..

Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, Superstroke.

FW: Tour Edge Exotics 15 Fujikura BangVoo Rombax X tipped 1/16"

HY: Fourteen UT716 16*/21*/26* + Diamana Thump/Tour AD, Superstroke.

Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - gw + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.

Wedges: Epon Tour 51*/57*, Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.

Putter: Rife Barbados island.

Ball: Honma TW-G1x

A TEE 3 wood and a Honma ball? Come on man, you'll have to do better than that! :)

I will give you credit for a bag full of "where the hell did you find this" clubs!

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist -ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Anyone know what shaft is in Mark Crossfields driver?

Looks like an Alida Tour Blue to me, guessing the 65 S.

Titleist TSr2 9* - Ventus Blue TR 6X

Titleist TS3 15* - Ventus Black 7X

Titleist TS2 18* - Ventus Black 8X

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2i - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist 620 MB 4-P - PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 Raw 52F / 56M / WW 60T

Nike 006 Rory Prototype

Anyone know what shaft is in Mark Crossfields driver?

Looks like an Alida Tour Blue to me, guessing the 65 S.

I’m sure it the Fujikura Pro 63s...search YouTube for his Titleist fitting and I think he mentions what it is

917 D3 10.5 Diamana S+ LTD 60x
917 F2 16.5 Kurokage Dual Core Silver 70x
818 H2 21 Oban Kiyoshi Black 95/05 or 718 T-MB 3i DG TI AMT
718 T-MB 4i DG AMT White Tour ss X100
718 AP2 5-9 DG AMT White Tour ss X100
SM7 Raw Handground 46F, 50F, 54S, 58D- DG AMT S400 & DGTI ONYX S400
SC Futura 5.5m
19’ Pro V1x

Went for a Titleist fitting today and I’m super impressed with these drivers. Little late to the game, but I was shocked how low spin they are. I’ve played a 913 for years and last summer picked up a G400 8.5 LST which I brought with me to the fitting. I was getting near perfect numbers with the TS3 8.5 for my SS and AoA. and it was carrying 5-8 yards further on average. Sound and feel are perfect, just like my 913.

Those who have put off Titleist in the past for being too spinny, too short, yada, yada...NEED to try this driver. It’s going straight into my bag for 2019.

Have the TS2, I actually prefer the shape over the TS3. Coming from a PING G400, I prefer the clean lines at address and it performs similarly.

Looks matter to me.

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

Mizuno STG 15* Ventus Blue 7x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 5

After testing today the ts3 was in similar if not better distance then my m3 but the accuracy there was no comparison

Just bought a ts3 head and will get the adapter changed on my accra rpg haven’t felt this excited about a driver in forever!

Honestly, as a Titleist guy reading that makes me so happy...yeah I know I am sad.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Having been a passionate Nike fan for a looong time, the TS3 is what finally knocked the first Nike club out of my bag.

Just came from a fitting and going TS3 9,5*, TS3 15* and TS2 19*.

Titleist TSr2 9* - Ventus Blue TR 6X

Titleist TS3 15* - Ventus Black 7X

Titleist TS2 18* - Ventus Black 8X

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2i - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist 620 MB 4-P - PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 Raw 52F / 56M / WW 60T

Nike 006 Rory Prototype

I bought a TS2 driver and fairway with Smoke and a TS3 driver and fairway with EvenFlow White. To this I also have my Tour AD DI shafts from 917 series for testing. I also bought the complete TS weight kit to play around with.

It’s pretty cold here in Sweden, so testing is not optimal, but I have access to a very nice range where I can follow all the ballflight and a FlightScope give me the numbers.

Today I just passed 2500 balls hit with those 4 clubs.( BTW I’m very pedantic so I make sure every ball is 100% clean before hitting so the clubs are still in Mint Condition).

But the result after testing this much? Absolutely impossible to select which route to go regarding TS2 vs TS3 for both driver and fairway. To make it even harder I cannot select which shaft to go with as well. All combinations has their own pros and cons.

So much testing - for nothing :-) But it was fun! :-D