Please recommend an old school driver that can still keep up today!

theothertwo

My thoughts from experience:

Titelist 983K

Bridgestone J33

Titleist 909D3

Taylor Made 510 TP

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Yamaha RMX 220 17* 5 Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids - 21* and 24*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rapture v1 and v2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Another Titleist, 910 range, D2 or D3

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

The question is WHY?

Putting together a semi semi vintage bag, need a driver to go along with Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845 Irons, crazy yes. I don't even remember what drivers I was using when I was playing these irons in the early 90s. Possibly a Powerbilt Persimmon Citation, Original Big Bertha, Taylor Made Burner, Great Big Bertha which are all obsolete now.

May look into the 910D3, I remember liking that driver.

How old school are we talking. If you're thinking from the 983K's timeframe, it'll be hard to top that. If you're looking for something from around your irons day, maybe the 975D or Great Big Bertha. Don't know if they'd keep up with as well though.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

How old school are we talking. If you're thinking from the 983K's timeframe, it'll be hard to top that. If you're looking for something from around your irons day, maybe the 975D or Great Big Bertha. Don't know if they'd keep up with as well though.

Thanks.

Not quite Great Big Bertha era but the 983k and 975D are close. You're right though, I still think these are obsolete and can not keep up, maybe along the lines of the 910 Titleist series, 905R, Ping Rapture and TM Superfast mentioned above.

Thanks.

Not quite Great Big Bertha era but the 983k and 975D are close. You're right though, I still think these are obsolete and can not keep up, maybe along the lines of the 910 Titleist series, 905R, Ping Rapture and TM Superfast mentioned above.

All solid options. I wasn't so much a fan of the 910. But, the FT Tour from the same era was a beast. Maybe even the Adams 9015D from a few years earlier. That thing had a lot of praise here. And rightfully so. Get yourself a 9015D with a Harrison Saga shaft and you'd have THE GolfWRX driver from 2009. Everyone seemed to rave about that combo.

975D may not keep up. But, I wouldn't be shocked to see the 983K hold it's own. Great classic shape. Smaller club head than what you see these days. Would have that classic bag look and feel to it.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

With the implementation of the .830 COR / 239 CT Unit time limitation. Back in 2003

Meaning at current any Legal Generation of club from 2003 Should be capable if all things equal to keep up.

So base point the R510 released in 2003 should by legal specs be just as long an M3/M4 with that anything in-between.

The key is generating the maximum amount of speed you as a player can through proper shaft weight, flex and length then add on the head that gives you the greatest ball speed on your average strike on the face and then finally launch conditions.

OK so got all that blah blah blah out of the way.

TM Jetspeed driver, out side of the TM 07 Burner. Tech, Shaft, fitting, pricing and personally the most under rated driver I have known. I think they are $50 and deep(as in long) if the stock shaft works for you if not a simple swap of the adapter and the best fitting shaft for you at X length and you are gold.

WITH that.... The Generations of club by PRICE for me is what I would gravitate too.

910 D2 from Titleist

Ping K15 driver

All Great drives with legal .830 /239 Ct units and forgiving as can be.

Other than that...in my opinion in the current tech is just spreading the 239ct units across the face as MUCH as possible.... through Speed channels and active recoil channels and increase MOI through weight.....$500 a driver... YIKESSS add in your shaft, fitting YIKESS!!! thats 10 rounds of golf!

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

the billy club!

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

I have been golfing for nearly 30 years and I've played with very good and long hitting golfers. No numbers to back it up but based on my observations, golfers are just as long 10 to 15 years ago when they were using older drivers like the Cleveland Launcher, 905Rs and others. Fitting was not such a big deal then so fitting and shafts are the real game changers as opposed to driver club head design?

I have played regularly with two guys and they are both long hitters by amateur 40 year old standards, 270 to 285 drives at best. One is using an Epic SZ and a standard Epic. I honestly think they are not longer than when they were using their Titleist 909D3 and 907D1 drivers, they were of course 10 years younger then.

I am so old school and behind, I admit I never got fitted for a driver. My irons are fitted for length and lie though.

I have been golfing for nearly 30 years and I've played with very good and long hitting golfers. No numbers to back it up but based on my observations, golfers are just as long 10 to 15 years ago when they were using older drivers like the Cleveland Launcher, 905Rs and others. Fitting was not such a big deal then so fitting and shafts are the real game changers as opposed to driver club head design?

I am so old school and behind, I admit I never got fitted for a driver. My irons are fitted for length and lie though.

In my opinion fitting and the ability to read and compare data is the "game changer"

her is the thing in my mind.

1.5 smash factor is generically the absolute number you can get in ratio of swing speed to ball speed. (i.e. 100mph swing speed = 150mph Ball speed)

Now add in the optimized launch condition (generically, 17* of launch, 1700rpms of back spin) and you basically have the best most optimal distance period)

Problem is most humans are NOT machines and cannot produce this with any type of robotic consistency BUT it doenst help trying to get as close as possible ,.

With that through the aid of "Tech enhancements" Longer Shafts to help increase ball speeds. Wider MOI to increase forgiveness across the face of a club thus maximizing ball speed. People think they are getting better distance. But alas... The just were able to find a better smash factor on a couple of strikes at the golf store. NOT realizing that likely their smash is averaging no better than 1.40 ish...to maybe 1.45 (per my example, of 100mph swing speed = 140mph to 145mph. this is still leaving 5-10mph of optimal ball speed then distance on the table.)

43' Driver swinging @ 100mph with a smash if 1.5 will go Further than the current 45.75" drivers @ 100mph with 1.45 smash. purely on data....there are other factors of course...

LAST thought and here is my thought...... Go somewhere that can measure your swing speed and get an average....meaning after 10 swings your average swing speed is 95..... knowing this.... now apply the 1.5 smash and you have 142.5mph is the absolute realistic ball speed you can obtain.

Now plug this in to a flight optimizer.... https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Mess around with this till you can find the ABSOLUTE distance (example 15* launch, 2000rpm = 241.9 yards carry and 246.7 total) And that is what you COULD and should aim for as in REALISTIC longest of drives.

If you are NOT obtaining anywhere near these numbers then the fitter should be able to tune, the launch angle (loft), shaft (flex, kick points overall weight) , length, and spin numbers to at least get closer to it......Thats the secret I have found.....

My humble opinion that is....jeezz havent posted in 6 months and I feel like Im preaching so sorry about that!

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

In my opinion fitting and the ability to read and compare data is the "game changer"

her is the thing in my mind.

1.5 smash factor is generically the absolute number you can get in ratio of swing speed to ball speed. (i.e. 100mph swing speed = 150mph Ball speed)

Now add in the optimized launch condition (generically, 17* of launch, 1700rpms of back spin) and you basically have the best most optimal distance period)

Problem is most humans are NOT machines and cannot produce this with any type of robotic consistency BUT it doenst help trying to get as close as possible ,.

With that through the aid of "Tech enhancements" Longer Shafts to help increase ball speeds. Wider MOI to increase forgiveness across the face of a club thus maximizing ball speed. People think they are getting better distance. But alas... The just were able to find a better smash factor on a couple of strikes at the golf store. NOT realizing that likely their smash is averaging no better than 1.40 ish...to maybe 1.45 (per my example, of 100mph swing speed = 140mph to 145mph. this is still leaving 5-10mph of optimal ball speed then distance on the table.)

43' Driver swinging @ 100mph with a smash if 1.5 will go Further than the current 45.75" drivers @ 100mph with 1.45 smash. purely on data....there are other factors of course...

LAST thought and here is my thought...... Go somewhere that can measure your swing speed and get an average....meaning after 10 swings your average swing speed is 95..... knowing this.... now apply the 1.5 smash and you have 142.5mph is the absolute realistic ball speed you can obtain.

Now plug this in to a flight optimizer.... https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Mess around with this till you can find the ABSOLUTE distance (example 15* launch, 2000rpm = 241.9 yards carry and 246.7 total) And that is what you COULD and should aim for as in REALISTIC longest of drives.

If you are NOT obtaining anywhere near these numbers then the fitter should be able to tune, the launch angle (loft), shaft (flex, kick points overall weight) , length, and spin numbers to at least get closer to it......Thats the secret I have found.....

My humble opinion that is....jeezz havent posted in 6 months and I feel like Im preaching so sorry about that!

All good, thanks.

The Bridgestone Whopper was my gamer as a university stick in the early 90's

Based on your sig that should be an appealing option

Great feel and shape

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

R510tp (or any of r500 series that suits you)

Rapture V2

Exactice,

Nice to see you posting again bruddah! Keiki must be keeping ya busy- best wishes to you, your wife and all the rest of your ohana.?

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Depends what you mean by 'Keep up' and how Old School you want to go.

There have been some tests on such a thing:

https://Not allowed because of spam.com/callaway-epic-vs-biggest-big-bertha/

https://Not allowed because of spam.com/taylormade-m1-vs-taylormade-r7-superquad/

The only Old School drivers I reckon will match a modern driver distance-wise are the Callaway ERC+ and the Taylormade SLDR.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Titleist 983E if your strike is very good.

Titleist 910D2 if you want something that resembles today's forgiveness.

I played with an old 983E once this year. It is great when you catch it right but absolutely horrible if you miss at all (both loss of ball speed and direction).

Thanks, might go with the 910. I remember the 983E, beautiful club but for very good hitters with a lot of speed I believe, kinda like the 905S.

I witness this a few times a year. Will tee it up with my son and his band of milennial hotshot ams, they all use the latest and greatest drivers, he still hits the Titleist 910 D2, theyʻre all out there 280-300 yds. Asked him if he wanted a new driver for Christmas, said heʻs good with the 910 and has bought a couple backups the past few years. Think he uses the stock Diamana shaft in them too.

Not sure what there is to NOT like about the 910D2.

My buddies are constantly buying the latest and greatest drivers. And I’m constantly hitting mote fairways and still bomb some past them.

I’ve tried hitting their stuff, but nothing feels or sounds nearly as good as the 910D2.