Do golfers who ride not like playing with someone who walks?

Hate to say it, but a lot of what I'm reading in this thread seems to correlate with some of the game's problems.

We've become so competitive that we lose the plot. We have to find a foursome that plays as closely as possible to us. Why? So, the rhythm is right. So we don't have to wait at all.

Superstition, plain and simple. If you can only play golf as a rabbit or a turtle you're doing it wrong and it's not everyone else's fault.

I get it, if you're out on an open course and just want reps then you want to speed around in a cart. Makes sense you wouldn't pick up a walker. But, are you really posting those? Do you think you and a buddy reeling off 18 holes in 2.5 hours is indicative of how you would play under tournament conditions?

We seem to have largely broken into 2 camps. Speed golf and tournament pace players. We need golf pace Goldilocks. Important to realize that you don't play better fast or slow. You play better when you stick to your routine. One speed may make that easier, but if you can't adapt you'll never be a complete player. IMO, golf would be better off if everyone preferred to play quick, but we could slow it down when necessary without getting angry and blaming the jerks who are trying to get some exercise. Which is typically a central tenant of recreation.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i belong to a private club in Charlotte NC that is very easy to walk.

I play the game for a multitude of reasons, but exercise is one of them. I grew up walking and carrying my bag all the time, I never took a cart. Add in the fact that a cart each round at my club is an additional $20, that's all the more motivation to walk the course.

the course has no walking restrictions (i..e. cart is never required)

what is interesting to me is the demographics of who walks and who doesnt

Im 35 years old, and most of the members near my age (25-40) ride.

Most of the guys who walk are 45-60.

Given that you have more energy when you are younger, this perplexes me.

Anyways, because the guys that are my peers (lower handicap players and near my age) all ride, I rarely play with them.

They never said it directly to me but I heard the reason I never get invited (and the reason they dont accept my invites) is because they dont like to golf with someone who walks.

I guess i can see the issue if my walking is holding up play. But with 4 people this is rarely the case because i can simply hit last on each hole. I will be at my ball ready to hit by the time everyone else has already hit.

with 2-3 total people I could hold up progress.

It doesn't really bother me, I just play by myself, save $20 everyday (so $6,000 per year since I play about 300 times per year) and dont need to worry about coordinating schedules. And I get done faster

I just wonder why other young guys dont walk the course when it saves money, you get the exercise and it still doesn't even take 4 hours to play since the course is short.

On the demographic part of your query, the force of mortality is more evident when you are older. Getting some exercise is a more important and a more immediate need.

I play both with walkers and riders while walking. Best is a group of all walkers, as long as everyone keeps up (normal golf moves i.e. everyone gets to there ball and prepares for their shot). A mixed group works best when there is some traffic. This allows everything to average out. If the course is open, the riders will feel like they're being held up because the rhythm is different. Long holes can exaggerate the difference in pace.

When the course is open and I'm the only walker with fast players, I'll ride. At the end it feels like I've hardly played so I might go round again.

Hate to say it, but a lot of what I'm reading in this thread seems to correlate with some of the game's problems.

We've become so competitive that we lose the plot. We have to find a foursome that plays as closely as possible to us. Why? So, the rhythm is right. So we don't have to wait at all.

Superstition, plain and simple. If you can only play golf as a rabbit or a turtle you're doing it wrong and it's not everyone else's fault.

I get it, if you're out on an open course and just want reps then you want to speed around in a cart. Makes sense you wouldn't pick up a walker. But, are you really posting those? Do you think you and a buddy reeling off 18 holes in 2.5 hours is indicative of how you would play under tournament conditions?

We seem to have largely broken into 2 camps. Speed golf and tournament pace players. We need golf pace Goldilocks. Important to realize that you don't play better fast or slow. You play better when you stick to your routine. One speed may make that easier, but if you can't adapt you'll never be a complete player. IMO, golf would be better off if everyone preferred to play quick, but we could slow it down when necessary without getting angry and blaming the jerks who are trying to get some exercise. Which is typically a central tenant of recreation.

While nothing in this post is wrong, what it is missing is that golf is a very expensive leisure activity for most. We join leagues to have consistency in tee times and consistency in playing partners. Some love competition, others speed of play. This is all good, we're paying for it. We're not paying to be put in an uncomfortable situation. So humans avoid such conflicts. And some avoid far more than others.

To the OP, if you want to golf with "the guys", ride in a cart two days a week with them and walk the other days on your own. Anyone who chooses to stand out runs the risk of not being invited. It's OK. And to the person who needs to ride when its a walking group, no worries, just drive slowly. We've got a few riders in our mostly walking league and it's great, but they drive slowly and chat along the way. Occasionally someone gets tired and joins them in the cart. It's all good, we're golfing!

Crowded day makes no difference to me. But here in Charlotte where the layouts are very spread out and great distance between holes, if course is not packed, it is simply not true that you can keep up with pace. I am more of the school to adapt to my chosen partner for that round and play as they want.

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

People care. I don't care. Went out as a threesome in carts. We had a golfnow hotdeal and had a single walker join us. Not that friendly of a walking course. I was in the cart alone and told the guy to hop in whenever he wanted. We had a great time. He never hopped in. Got to give him credit. Some people just get a little weird on the golf course and don't like a walker. Probably because it makes them feel guilty.

While nothing in this post is wrong, what it is missing is that golf is a very expensive leisure activity for most. We join leagues to have consistency in tee times and consistency in playing partners. Some love competition, others speed of play. This is all good, we're paying for it. We're not paying to be put in an uncomfortable situation. So humans avoid such conflicts. And some avoid far more than others.

To the OP, if you want to golf with "the guys", ride in a cart two days a week with them and walk the other days on your own. Anyone who chooses to stand out runs the risk of not being invited. It's OK. And to the person who needs to ride when its a walking group, no worries, just drive slowly. We've got a few riders in our mostly walking league and it's great, but they drive slowly and chat along the way. Occasionally someone gets tired and joins them in the cart. It's all good, we're golfing!

Maybe you've hit on a theme that I missed. You're correct golf is expensive and it's time expensive which is a great commodity. Perhaps, we're squeezed and want golf to be "perfect" because it's costing us a lot. Expectations can be tough. If every outing is measured against that time we played lights out, with our best group of mates, and the pace was terrific... oh, and the weather, don't forget that sunset. My original post comes off as a little preachy when I re-read it, but I'm amazed how frequently I tee off with fellas that have let something little spoil their round before it even starts. Once the negative energy begins to flow the scores inevitably rise.

Another walker here. I’ve found mixed reviews. Some groups hate us. Some don’t mind. I’m a fit 39 and play fast With usually less strokes than most. Lots of times I’ve walked , kept the box and been first to the box with 2-3 riders in tow. Always draws funny comments. But I don’t walk very fast. Just don’t waste steps. Riding in a cart isn’t faster unless the course is one of those poor designs with a mile between holes.

Don’t even get me started on cart path only days. I can play twice as fast as riders then. They are walking and don’t even know it. Dumbest thing ever is riding on CPO days.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I always walk when I can...and I always seem to be waiting on the tee and the green for the guys in the golf carts.

Unless the players in the carts are very good, each in their own cart or the course has massive walks between holes, I think that riding is slower than walking.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Where are all of the fast walkers on Saturdays and Sundays? Must be a couple of groups back.

Probably waiting for you to find your ball. I kid I kid.

Now you can get a full pack of walkers and we may tend to forget anyone else is there. Those are the best rounds. The 4 walkers all shooting low 70s. Rare rounds. But rounds that are made in heaven.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Where are all of the fast walkers on Saturdays and Sundays? Must be a couple of groups back.

Probably waiting for you to find your ball. I kid I kid.

Now you can get a full pack of walkers and we may tend to forget anyone else is there. Those are the best rounds. The 4 walkers all shooting low 70s. Rare rounds. But rounds that are made in heaven.

That's pretty much the best. I get that group every once in awhile although I'm the odd man out with the high 70's or low 80's. I guess I have my days if a 73 or 74 counts as "low" seventies :)

I've got a bunch of guys that usually ride, but I typically insist on walking. When they see my push cart they'll usually go get the loaners from the pro shop. I'm the worst stick in the group. Fun way to get around.

My experience with the guys I usually play with is they will say they don't mind if I walk, but they really do. Evenings when guys want to fly around the course getting in as many holes as possible - I get that. Other times - I don't come close to slowing anyone down, lol. Had so much fun on vacation last summer walking every bit of every course with my oldest daughter (okay, caddies a few times, but still that is by far the way I prefer to play golf, although riding isn't something I feel hurts my game in any way, just my waistline).

To me, it matters only in a camaraderie sense. So, it can matter a lot.

It has nothing to do with pace of play, or fitness, or drinking, or any of those things. It has to do only with being able to talk and enjoy one another's company by riding with or walking with others in the group. (For the same reason, it DOESN'T matter much if, say, you show up with a buddy to play somewhere and get paired up with a random walker. If your intention is just to enjoy the company of your buddy and not really to get to know the random person you've been paired with, then there's no real issue to me.) I play most of my golf with friends, and so we always try to decide as a group on all walking or all riding together. It definitely matters to the social dynamics of the day.

If we don't all agree on walking or riding (say, someone has a bum knee and needs to ride), then we'll almost always go two walkers and two riders. I'd rather ride with another guy (or walk with another guy) than have a guy go on his own. With a lone walker, there are two guys (he and the single rider) not sharing in much conversation. With a lone rider, well, at least three guys are enjoying one another's company walking the course -- but the lone guy just never seems to be as "involved" that day.

i belong to a private club in Charlotte NC that is very easy to walk.

I play the game for a multitude of reasons, but exercise is one of them. I grew up walking and carrying my bag all the time, I never took a cart. Add in the fact that a cart each round at my club is an additional $20, that's all the more motivation to walk the course.

the course has no walking restrictions (i..e. cart is never required)

what is interesting to me is the demographics of who walks and who doesnt

Im 35 years old, and most of the members near my age (25-40) ride.

Most of the guys who walk are 45-60.

Given that you have more energy when you are younger, this perplexes me.

Anyways, because the guys that are my peers (lower handicap players and near my age) all ride, I rarely play with them.

They never said it directly to me but I heard the reason I never get invited (and the reason they dont accept my invites) is because they dont like to golf with someone who walks.

I guess i can see the issue if my walking is holding up play. But with 4 people this is rarely the case because i can simply hit last on each hole. I will be at my ball ready to hit by the time everyone else has already hit.

with 2-3 total people I could hold up progress.

It doesn't really bother me, I just play by myself, save $20 everyday (so $6,000 per year since I play about 300 times per year) and dont need to worry about coordinating schedules. And I get done faster

I just wonder why other young guys dont walk the course when it saves money, you get the exercise and it still doesn't even take 4 hours to play since the course is short.

Walking a golf course, IMHO is an honor and integral part of the game. I can see one issue if the golf course is not built as walking friendly. If there is a long walk between holes and lots of elevation changes, I could, understand why.

Yes, you are correct. My observation is the same as yours for most of the riders on the golf courses near here are all younger golfers.

I have no clue why, because some of these golfers are fit like they go to the gym to work out everyday, some are just obviously not fit to walk anywhere.

I had a friend whom had been over weight since he started working in the I.T. field. He sits at the desk all day at work, drive to and from work, drive everywhere including on the golf course. About 8 years ago he got a job overseas, where the culture is to walk and take mass transit everywhere. A personal automobile is not only expensive but has to deal with the no parking and traffic grid lock. So, he walked everywhere as the locals do. He was almost back to the optimal weight for his height and looking great, worked at the similar job.

He moved back a couple of years ago and had gained back almost every pound he had lost overseas. He is in his 50's and has all sorts of health issue.

If one day, I can't walk the golf course any longer , I might take a golf cart. I enjoy walking the golf course, even when those golf courses with elevation change have become more challenging these days.

Walk and play your golf, get together with all the other walkers. You will get along with them, there is no age discrimination on the golf course, and you might learn a few thing of golf and life from the "older guys ".

Walking is often just as fast as riding, especially if it's cart path only.

The exceptions are if you can't keep it down the middle and are going from rough to rough. Then a cart might be faster.

The bigger issue is the course and if it was designed to be walkable, or if there are huge distances between holes.

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

The bigger issue is the course and if it was designed to be walkable, or if there are huge distances between holes.

Long walks are the worst. Here is our longest.

Just skip to 7:38

[media=]

[/media]

We have a few courses will make this look like a walk in the park.

Nevertheless, it seemed to be walkable, golf cart ride might save a minutes if not less.

Nice weather for golf and I like that Tilley's hat

Worldwide, walking is that standard way to play golf. Only in the USA would walkers be considered outliers.

Two reasons: we're lazy...and capitalism, courses want the revenue from carts.

I ride only because so many courses are designed to sell homes in subdivisions with long walks in between holes.

I love Donald Ross courses.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Interesting whomever put up the "honor" of it. Never thought of it like that exactly. I would really like to support a walking only local course. Never occurred to me previously but I am more proud of a score when I walk. It certainly can be tougher to finish strong. My favorite tournament requires the championship flight to walk, obviously the tour, too. Walking carrying your own bag or pushing a cart is just pure.

I always ride mostly because of back issues but any time I’ve ever played with someone walking I’ve never felt like I was waiting on them. I played quite a bit in my father in law’s league this year for the first time and a few of his friends walk 18 at 60+ years old and keep up with no issues at all. We typically get to the tees before them but they like to take the couple mins to catch their breath while we all tee off so it’s a non issue.

How long a walk is your 18 holes? Mine is between 5 1/2 and 6 depending if we are a straight group or not.

It's 14.6km, but there will be some GPS drift with that (I put my mountainbike Garmin on my belt). So just over 9 miles. And that was a very straight fourball.

Not sure about those numbers. Might want to check out that GPS.

It depends on the course, and how busy it is.

If the course is packed then it makes no difference, you will all end up moving the same speed anyway.

I usually ride, but used to walk when I was younger, and played different courses in a different part of the country. I will say a walker will play as fast if not faster than two guys in a cart on a walkable course most of the time. Especially 2 guys who aren't accomplished golfers.

Most of the courses I play are almost unwalkable anyway, so its a moot point.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

How long a walk is your 18 holes? Mine is between 5 1/2 and 6 depending if we are a straight group or not.

It's 14.6km, but there will be some GPS drift with that (I put my mountainbike Garmin on my belt). So just over 9 miles. And that was a very straight fourball.

Not sure about those numbers. Might want to check out that GPS.

We have mapped our walk many times and it’s never over 6 miles. But my home course has very little distance between tees and greens. I don’t count walking from the parking lot etc., only from first tee to finish of 18th. I could never walk a 9 mile course even if flat. I also wouldn’t enjoy golf as much if I had to ride all the time.