2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Do golfers who ride not like playing with someone who walks?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never worn a Fitbit but guys always tell me they get between 6 and 7 miles depending on tee box and whether they reset the counter on the first tee or include the parking lot, range, practice tee, etc.

I use a motorized trolley starting this fall, and was interested in the mileage it put on. I used a tracking app, and it was 5.7 miles, from opening my trunk to closing it. That included almost 600 feet of vertical, up and back down That's only the distance my clubs went, and doesn't include walking to help search for balls, walking around the putting greens, etc, so I can see that 7 miles might be about right. This is a 25-year old course with a few long walks from green to tee.

As for the people I play with, any combination of walkers and riders is acceptable. I do think many riders have a misconception that walkers can't keep up, but that only holds true on a wide-open course where the riders can take full advantage of the cart's speed.

Ours is an old time parkland style course. Other than nine green to 10 tee, most of the transitions are very short. We often park our carts by the next tee box when heading to the green (that close). Just a touch over five miles to walk if it’s hit reasonably straight.

We are very definitely a riding course though. Very few walkers.

Interesting whomever put up the "honor" of it. Never thought of it like that exactly. I would really like to support a walking only local course. Never occurred to me previously but I am more proud of a score when I walk. It certainly can be tougher to finish strong. My favorite tournament requires the championship flight to walk, obviously the tour, too. Walking carrying your own bag or pushing a cart is just pure.

A local course that used to be my home course opened around ~20 years ago as a "walking only" course which was a big reason my weekend group joined up there. Owner was adamant that there would never be carts. It was a challenging course, mostly carved out of some woods with pretty tight fairways. Well, after 2-3 years his sons talked him into adding carts because (as you can imagine) they just couldn't compete with other local courses. Tough to book outings, etc without being able to offer carts. And that really changed the entire course. They had to find room for cart paths and in many cases those added asphalt paths were only 10-15 yards off of those very tight fairways. So now if you missed a fairway with a shot, instead of just being in the rough or other trouble, you had a really good chance of getting a huge bounce of a cart path deeper into that trouble. Didn't take us long to find a new course to play.

As far as scoring goes, I've always felt I scored better when I walked, though I've never actually calculated if that's true. Tough to distinguish that factor from others, like familiarity with the course since I tend to play courses where I can walk as much as possible, etc.

I've never worn a Fitbit but guys always tell me they get between 6 and 7 miles depending on tee box and whether they reset the counter on the first tee or include the parking lot, range, practice tee, etc.

A buddy has a fitbit that he uses when walking. It does some kind of "effort" compensation on the reported steps and distance. It reports some funny numbers relative to the straight distance and I'm not sure you can turn that off. I used to use mapmywalk that did a pretty good job of tracking real distances and elevations on a map display. After looking at the same charts every time you play, the novelty wears off.

I think it would be pretty hard add a miles worth of wandering in the rough. I use google maps distance measurement to sanity check some of the numbers. Works pretty well compared to on the ground measurements. My usual courses measure 5.5 and 6.0 miles. The 6.0 mile course seems much longer because of the long green to tee distances but it only adds .5 miles.

To me its the social aspect more than anything else - if everyone is walking I'll walk. If everyone is riding I'll ride. Just let me know if we are walking beforehand so I can take 6 lbs of stuff out of my bag!

To the OP it could be a lot of stuff other than you walking. Our core group at my club is around the same age, and lets just say there is a lot going on besides golf in our group - the serious golfers tend to avoid us we tend to avoid them its not a big deal.

To me its the social aspect more than anything else - if everyone is walking I'll walk. If everyone is riding I'll ride. Just let me know if we are walking beforehand so I can take 6 lbs of stuff out of my bag!

To the OP it could be a lot of stuff other than you walking. Our core group at my club is around the same age, and lets just say there is a lot going on besides golf in our group - the serious golfers tend to avoid us we tend to avoid them its not a big deal.

you might be right. ive heard that some of them like to bet a lot. I like playing for small stakes, where it wont hurt if I lose (anything under $20 max). I dont like playing where i start to worry about the money

How long a walk is your 18 holes? Mine is between 5 1/2 and 6 depending if we are a straight group or not.

It's 14.6km, but there will be some GPS drift with that (I put my mountainbike Garmin on my belt). So just over 9 miles. And that was a very straight fourball.

Not sure about those numbers. Might want to check out that GPS.

The trouble is, how else can you measure it? My trundler has an odometer, but that doesn't follow me everywhere. Especially looking for balls.

46332324881_bbc7cc2c6f_k.jpg

you might be right. ive heard that some of them like to bet a lot. I like playing for small stakes, where it wont hurt if I lose (anything under $20 max). I dont like playing where i start to worry about the money

I agree with jmkenn0 and your thoughts scottygolfer3 if there is bigger stakes betting going on then a lot of guys are uncomfortable with outsiders around. Makes sense. That's definitely the case with a few groups I've played around. Some of the guys would play a 2-man game and set it up and settle it in private, while if there was group game with bigger stakes they wanted everyone to be "in" the game if they were going to play with the group. My favorite game at the last club I was a member was our Wednesday 1 PM game and it was always invite only so that we had exact 4somes and the game was mostly the 2man game within the foursome. Mostly less than $30 exchanged hands, but that was no guarantee if both guys in the group played really poorly you could certainly get roasted.