Does a goofy golf hole in one still count as a hole in one?

pdhoff

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pro said if there's NOT a windmill on the hole...it counts.

florida.

Read the rules.

How is that rule applicable? The committee set up the teeing ground, and he hit from it? When I read the rule I believe "conforming tee" is literally talking about the tee itself, not the teeing ground, which again, was set up for the tournament and his ball was played from within. It's like saying you can't post a score if the course has teeing markers anywhere but on the designed tee boxes, which isn't true.

*Disclaimer on my last statement, I actually don't know if that is true or not

florida.

Read the rules.

How is that rule applicable? The committee set up the teeing ground, and he hit from it? When I read the rule I believe "conforming tee" is literally talking about the tee itself, not the teeing ground, which again, was set up for the tournament and his ball was played from within. It's like saying you can't post a score if the course has teeing markers anywhere but on the designed tee boxes, which isn't true.

Please help me to see how a "makeshift" tee box can be conforming. Add the booze and you have the makings for a holed shot and not a hole-in-one. Read the OP's post.

I think because the event decided where to put the "make-shift" tee box, and it wasn't just some buddies out messing around. The event committee of any event has the power to place the tee markers wherever they please and the players must play from there, as this is the designated "teeing ground". Because that is where the tee markers were placed, and he played from there, I see no violation of rule 11-1. I don't see this as so much of a "make-shift" tee box, but just a different tee box than usual.

For all the no people out there I’ve got a question...

One day a year The Old Course is played in reverse the way it was originally played. It’s a much more stern test of golf. Would you consider a hole in one made on this day legit? What about if you make a 1 on the old course in it’s current routing even tho it was designed the opposite direction originally?

The answer is clear... you play the course the way you find it. It’s a 1. And legit.

I'm honestly kind of dumbfounded as to how any of you can actually call this a legit hole-in-one.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S

Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven CH | KBS CT Tour
Titleist ProV1

I'm honestly kind of dumbfounded as to how any of you can actually call this a legit hole-in-one.

Dumbfounded? The guy showed up for a tournament. He got to the hole, played the tee that he was supposed to, hit it in the hole in one shot.

How can you possibly be “dumbfounded” that some consider that a hole in one?

Imagine this scenario. Ryder cup. Medium length par 4 and the pga of America or whomever decides to push the tee up on the hole to make it driveable. Now, they don’t use an actual tee, because there isn’t one the distance they want the hole to play, but they make it work. How doesn’t matter. Rory holes his 3 wood from 299 to win the hole.

Does anyone, I mean, anyone think it wouldn’t be considered a hole in one? No not a single soul on all of earth. Some dude who has never seen an airplane in the sky and lives off cayman and exotic fruit in the Amazon is like, yep “hole in one”

Unbelievable

Dumbfounded? The guy showed up for a tournament. He got to the hole, played the tee that he was supposed to, hit it in the hole in one shot.

How can you possibly be "dumbfounded" that some consider that a hole in one?

Imagine this scenario. Ryder cup. Medium length par 4 and the pga of America or whomever decides to push the tee up on the hole to make it driveable. Now, they don't use an actual tee, because there isn't one the distance they want the hole to play, but they make it work. How doesn't matter. Rory holes his 3 wood from 299 to win the hole.

Does anyone, I mean, anyone think it wouldn't be considered a hole in one? No not a single soul on all of earth. Some dude who has never seen an airplane in the sky and lives off cayman and exotic fruit in the Amazon is like, yep "hole in one"

Unbelievable

Yep 100% this^^^^^ I know that some "feel" that it isn't an HIO for a variety of invalid reasons, but facts don't care about feelings.

My only hole in one was ugly and boring. 140 yards slightly uphill with a flat putting surface at level with your eyes.

Hit a thin 8-iron that carried just short of the green, bumbled over the edge and rolled over the entire green to a back flag, hit it and disappeared.

The circumstances is funnier to tell. The hole in one put me at 4 under par and I had never broken par at that point. Started the round with an eagle, followed it with 11 straight pars and then the ace on 13. Shaky legs to put it mildly. Made three bogeys on the finishing five holes and stumbled in with a 71 and mixed feelings.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

Imagine this scenario. Ryder cup. Medium length par 4 and the pga of America or whomever decides to push the tee up on the hole to make it driveable. Now, they don't use an actual tee, because there isn't one the distance they want the hole to play, but they make it work. How doesn't matter. Rory holes his 3 wood from 299 to win the hole.

Does anyone, I mean, anyone think it wouldn't be considered a hole in one? No not a single soul on all of earth. Some dude who has never seen an airplane in the sky and lives off cayman and exotic fruit in the Amazon is like, yep "hole in one"

Unbelievable

While I agree in spirit, I don't think scores are recorded at Ryder Cup. The stats will only say that he won the hole.

It's a bit of a grey scale, when does white turn black? How serious must a competition and a hole setup be for an ace to count? If Rory holes it from 300 it will become golf lore but noone cares about a chip-in when my foursome have a playoff at the practice green, still it has exactly the same statistical relevance.

Where would you put an ace at the par 3 contest at Augusta? An exhibition (like Ryder Cup) with 100 yard holes with the pins at the bottom of funnels?

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

Unbelievable

While I agree in spirit, I don't think scores are recorded at Ryder Cup. The stats will only say that he won the hole.

It's a bit of a grey scale, when does white turn black? How serious must a competition and a hole setup be for an ace to count? If Rory holes it from 300 it will become golf lore but noone cares about a chip-in when my foursome have a playoff at the practice green, still it has exactly the same statistical relevance.

Where would you put an ace at the par 3 contest at Augusta? An exhibition (like Ryder Cup) with 100 yard holes with the pins at the bottom of funnels?

So a hole on in one at the par 3 contest doesn't count? What does that mean for the statistic that the winner of the par 3 contest has never won the Masters, if none of it counts? Or is it only when it's convenient?

florida.

Read the rules.

Please help me to see how a "makeshift" tee box can be conforming. Add the booze and you have the makings for a holed shot and not a hole-in-one. Read the OP's post.

Let me start by addressing a few things: 1) I'm late to this party. 2) I have little to no cred on this forum. 3) I don't care

That said, you (ferguson) sound like a real treat to be around. sheesh

when the OP gets his second he'll immediately let go of any/all importance in this first "make shift" one. he'll be back to saying he has one ace and telling a story of another he "kinda" made one time. ;)

edit: (unless his next comes in '19 from this same slap d!ck Turkey Shoot format. boy, then we got a real thread topic on our hands)

b.helts, just to grind your gears just a little bit more :D I'm gonna throw this scenario at you..... lets say the OP went out on this nonsense Turkey Shoot day and fires a gross 59. it's the best score ever at the facility. does he now have (edit: using your logic he showed up for a tournament round, the whole golf course had a set up for the day, I mean this thing has to be "official") the new course record?

b.helts, just to grind your gears just a little bit more :D I'm gonna throw this scenario at you..... lets say the OP went out on this nonsense Turkey Shoot day and fires a gross 59. it's the best score ever at the facility. does he now have (edit: using your logic he showed up for a tournament round, the whole golf course had a set up for the day, I mean this thing has to be "official") the new course record?

Good question, but not great. He didn’t play the course so he can’t have a course record. But he did play the hole and made a hole in one.

A hole in one is simply finishing a hole in one shot. That’s it. Some are better than others but IMO it’s imossible to have an illegitimate hole in one so long as you play a hole.

If my son (8) tees off from 40 yards, where I put him to hit an iron and makes it damn right it’s a hole in one.

There are several boxes that need to be checked for a round to count as a course record.

i say it counts. its not like you can control the course setup

same thing happened with me and a buddy in August. We were playing Firethorn CC

2 of the par 3's they were working on clearing trees and replanting the normal blue tee. Normal yardage is around 170

so it was set up from 110 or so as a temporary tee. He hit it 1 foot past and spun it back in

he had the same concern. I said its legit. Plus they did have the hole location in the hardest possible spot that day too

What are we saying if saying this is not legit? Are we saying the ball did not go in the hole in one stroke? No, of course it did. For those saying it is not legit, what are you saying? That it doesn't count? What does it not count toward? What is the counting? I simply don't see how if this is how the hole was set up by the greens crew, and the ball when in the hole in one stroke, how could it possibly be anything other than a hole in one?

The course record is different. Why? Because the course rating. Many courses have different course records for different tees and ratings. The Turkey Shoot course record is in fact a course record, for the Turkey Shoot set up, and the very same course could have a very different course record for it's blue tees rating...

florida.

Read the rules.

Let me start by addressing a few things: 1) I'm late to this party. 2) I have little to no cred on this forum. 3) I don't care

That said, you (ferguson) sound like a real treat to be around. sheesh

You got that right.

Look at what we have to work with:

A guy posts in desperation, hoping to find support for his holed shot so he can sleep at night calling it a hole-in-one.

Some agree, and some don't.

I don't.

I keep hearing "it counts." Counts for what?