ZStar or AVX

mlf

I have played the Srixon zstar xv all year. Buddy of mine switched to the avx and I tried a few. Problem I had was unexpected distances on iron shots, especially 7 iron and shorter. Would get the occasional ball that did not spin enough and flew an extra 15 yards. Very similar to catching a flyer.

+15 ? From the fairway ?

I get +5-6 and yes, it does take getting used to - have to adjust your distances on shots. Never had to do that with another ball.

It's OK thought - I like it !!! I feel SO much stronger. :D

GettyImages-600002146.jpg

It's not +15 all the time though. That's the problem. Like I said for me it's like catching a flyer. The occasional ball, couple times a round, will get a 12-15 yard jump. On irons that is awful.

You sure it's just not wind-aided or some such ?

I've been playing these for about 20 rounds now and I haven't seen anything like that. :dntknw:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AVX is low flight, lower flight than Pro V1 and Pro V1x while the Z star is considerably higher ball flight. the Z star has a very similar trajectory to a Pro V1x but the feel is similar to a Pro V1.

No offense, but does anyone really believe that balls have any effect on flight?

There is nobody on this planet (with the possible exception of the great ball strikers like Tiger) who could hit an AVX and a Z Star with the same club and notice one iota of difference in flight. Seriously!

No offense but are you seriously suggesting that all the aerodynamic research ball manufacturers have done over (especially) the last 20 years has produced balls where cover, layers and dimple patterns make absolutely NO difference ?

Seriously ?

Now, if your argument is that the difference is so small, that given every swing and every launch condition is slightly to quite a bit different, that nobody can tell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'd still disagree,,,,,,,,,,, but is IS a different argument. :)

My argument is that good golfers control their flight with technique and to a lesser degree clubs, not what type of ball they use. There are definitely differences in spin rates and how balls react on the greens, but choosing a ball to bring your flight down all other things being equal? Give me a break.

AVX is low flight, lower flight than Pro V1 and Pro V1x while the Z star is considerably higher ball flight. the Z star has a very similar trajectory to a Pro V1x but the feel is similar to a Pro V1.

No offense, but does anyone really believe that balls have any effect on flight?

There is nobody on this planet (with the possible exception of the great ball strikers like Tiger) who could hit an AVX and a Z Star with the same club and notice one iota of difference in flight. Seriously!

No offense but are you seriously suggesting that all the aerodynamic research ball manufacturers have done over (especially) the last 20 years has produced balls where cover, layers and dimple patterns make absolutely NO difference ?

Seriously ?

Now, if your argument is that the difference is so small, that given every swing and every launch condition is slightly to quite a bit different, that nobody can tell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'd still disagree,,,,,,,,,,, but is IS a different argument. :)

My argument is that good golfers control their flight with technique and to a lesser degree clubs, not what type of ball they use. There are definitely differences in spin rates and how balls react on the greens, but choosing a ball to bring your flight down all other things being equal? Give me a break.

Then you should be more clear when you MAKE your argument.

That aside, you are STILL wrong if you believe that dimples and construction have nothing to do with launch and flight.

Give ALL of us a break.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I have played the Srixon zstar xv all year. Buddy of mine switched to the avx and I tried a few. Problem I had was unexpected distances on iron shots, especially 7 iron and shorter. Would get the occasional ball that did not spin enough and flew an extra 15 yards. Very similar to catching a flyer.

+15 ? From the fairway ?

I get +5-6 and yes, it does take getting used to - have to adjust your distances on shots. Never had to do that with another ball.

It's OK thought - I like it !!! I feel SO much stronger. :D

GettyImages-600002146.jpg

It's not +15 all the time though. That's the problem. Like I said for me it's like catching a flyer. The occasional ball, couple times a round, will get a 12-15 yard jump. On irons that is awful.

You sure it's just not wind-aided or some such ?

I've been playing these for about 20 rounds now and I haven't seen anything like that. :dntknw:

Yes, I'm sure. But this ball may fit someone else perfectly.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I've played both balls a bit this summer, and both performed really well for me. As advertised, the Srixon had more spin around the green, and the AVX I could tell spun less off of full shots (a very straight ball). Distance was comparable with both. Both feel nice off the putter. I'd have no problems switching the two out, the Srixon for hard, fast courses, and the AVX for softer conditions.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or LA Golf Trono 7 

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

• 1 month later...

really?

The AVX spins very well around the greens, but is lower spin off the driver.

Just look at any of the many tests out there from websites, youtube, or golf digest, and you see that it spins, at worst, 200-300 rpm less on 50 yard pitch than a ProV1.

Sure, on the hardest greens, on the most difficult PGA style courses, you may want that extra grab, but this ball was made for the kinds of golfers who are ALL OVER THIS FORUM.

People who can play well, but are by no means pros, and are by no means playing pro courses week in and week out.

I gain about 7-10 off the tee with the AVX, and I haven't caught a single 15 yard flier. Predictable distances is a strong suit. Its a great ball, and if some people would set their egos aside and not pretend they MUST have every RPM, they may realize what I realized... I shave strokes with this ball.

Its a bit longer, its a bit straighter. It feels great. It holds its line. It has a very controllable trajectory.

I still back it up with short irons and wedges. I get PLENTY of bite from any situation where I would get bite. A nice strike at 30 yards with my SM7 SW from the fairway gives me hop and stop.

Played Bethpage Black this September with the AVX and shot 83 from the tips. Held ever single green I hit... Pretty sure that course would qualify as having fast greens.

I also hit more fairways with it, and pitched it tight whenever I needed. I've been shooting 77-85 all season with this ball on some really difficult courses (Pound Ridge, Bethpage Black, Bethpage Red, Willow Creek).

Bottom line is this, the AVX is a fantastic ball that bridges a gap between a distance ball that ruins my short game, and a tour ball that spins so hard it can actually hurt me.

Its not a ProV1, but most golfers with a HCP above 5 don't actually need a ProV1. Go try it. Unless you already hit the ball too low with too little spin, you will probably love it... and you won't miss those 300RPMs around the green... like me, you probably aren't good enough to notice.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

All i can say is, I am midhandi golfer, and I have always wanted to play one ball, but never found a ball that I liked THAT much to play exclusively...well...............AVX is the one....straight off long irons, holds the greens for as much as a midhandi can, and love the feel off the putter.....and I get 5A Mints on ebay...soo not paying premium prices to boot...

That’s kinda my point. Saying “it’s not a tour ball” isn’t justification to knock it.

Most people don’t need a tour ball, but a ton of people need a “near tour ball”.

This really fits the bill for that player.

High speed and athletic. Overspins and hits it too high.

Plays well enough to score and can use the greenside spin to score.

L.A.B Link.1

AVX and the AD333 Tour (or Q Star in the US i believe) is more comparable, Z Star is a Pro V1 style ball. The AVX is still lower than anything else out there i've seen, definitely a ball for winter, where you lose any need for more spin around the greens. If you count on spin around the greens or have speedy greens then the AVX is probably not worth it.

The last part is key here, you will not be getting as much spin on the greens with the AVX. With that said i love the ball and would play it ever so slightly ahead of the Z.

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

I have played both, but prefer the AVX for my game. The other day, a 70 year old man (former PGA pro) beat me playing a Noodle. My point is that you have to play the ball that works for your current game, and the bottom line is use what produces lower scores. This man knew his game and that is what worked for him at 70.

Seriously ?

Works for me.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

They are definitely lower than v1x, tp5x, Zstar and ZSXV, Qstar Tour, Project A

I hit the v1 and regular TP5 a tad higher than the avx.

I’m mid ball flight on driver. This doesn’t hurt me, but ideal launch would be a tad higher.

I hit my irons and wedges into space... the avx outright helps me got more greens and is a godsend in the wind.

L.A.B Link.1

I don’t think so, but the point is almost everyone here ISNT a tour player...

L.A.B Link.1

I have played both, but prefer the AVX for my game. The other day, a 70 year old man (former PGA pro) beat me playing a Noodle. My point is that you have to play the ball that works for your current game, and the bottom line is use what produces lower scores. This man knew his game and that is what worked for him at 70.

Also very true. Great points. Coming from men that obviously know the game.