My First WITB - robleighlefty89, England

Like many on here, I've thoroughly enjoyed going through people's WITB posts as well as those on the PGA Tour. Last night after a good range session I finally got round to taking pictures of my own - I hope you enjoy them.

To give you all a bit of a back story; I live in the South of England and have done all my life. I started playing when I was 11, but started really getting into it when I turned 13 and stopped playing other sports so much (hockey/football (soccer)). I'd learnt to play at a small 9-hole course, but when I turned 15 (12 hcap) my Dad agreed it would be best that I join his Club, which is also where my Grandfather played.

My Summers from the age of 15 to 18 were then spent playing golf from dawn to dusk with a group of people who I still consider to be among the best of my friends. English Summers when the sun is up from 5am to 9pm - Dad's dropping us off at 7am and collecting us at 8pm, good golf during the day; house parties and teenage shenanigans in the evenings. We were living the dream.

There was always 6-8 of us at the Club each day, our Junior Team (6) were all handicapped between 2 - 5 when were 16-18. We'd always play 2 rounds a day, then chip and putt on the 3rd & 4th greens in the evenings as they were out of sight of the Clubhouse.

Inevitably university or work took over our lives, however I consider myself lucky to to work in the game. That final Junior year is 10 years ago now, but there isn't a time when we meet up for a beer (unfortunately only an annual event after some of us moved away) that we don't hark back to those great Junior days.

Now the modern day.

For years I've struggled with my short game. This issue crept in slowly and eventually took over to the point where I just didn't enjoy playing. I'm lucky in that for years I could not play for a month and always hit the ball well, but any real enjoyment stopped when I got within 50 yards of the green. Due to this lack of enjoyment I played less and less until it got to a stage last year that I hadn't played for 3 months (I used every excuse not to play - injury, other plans, etc).

This year I decided to try and change that.

Due to the busy nature of Summers here (and being out of the habit of playing after work) I tend to practice at a local range in the dark winters (sunset at 4.30pm from November to February). I really enjoy the range; earphones in, my own little world, no pressure.

This past month though I've played a bit, almost once every two weeks, and I've really got a competitiveness back which I haven't seen for years. For maybe 5 years I've been more concerned about other people playing well and enjoying themselves than my own game. I aim to behave the same way with my playing partners; but in the back of my mind have the old Rob telling me to "make another birdie" or "you can catch this guy".

I'm now a 3 handicap (2.7), but anyone who knows the UK handicap system will know it's impossible to get your handicap back up. I haven't put a card in since June 2016, which was just after I moved to East-Kent for a new job. That card was at Tenby Golf Club, Wales, in their Open Week (amazing week, check it out!) and was a solid +5 in tough conditions.

My aim for next year is to play in at least 10 competitions and maintain a 3 handicap.

Anway - back to my WITB!

Bag

I've always loved the way Ping Bags looked - I've had this 4 series for 3 years having found it on ebay for a bargain.

Driver & 3 wood

I've never been a great driver of the ball, so a decent 3 wood has always been a useful weapon.

I bought these on an old spec the week I moved to East-Kent. I actually bought the M2 head, but a friend who works here was struggling with his M1 head so asked to swap. I had only hit the M2 once so wasn't bothered, as I wasn't bothered with my golf at this stage anyway. Swapped the weights around last week (heavier weight on the front-to-back track) and it's helped with dispersion immensely.

The 3 wood is a dream - bought the 3HL so it was easier to hit than the 15 degree (again due to not playing a whole lot), and I can't see it going anywhere soon. This is the best fairway wood I've owned since my Titleist 975F with an X100 shaft.

TaylorMade M1 2016 - 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6s Shaft

TaylorMade M2 2016 - 3HL 16.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7s Shaft

The Golfers Journal Links & Kings Leather Driver Cover and an old-school Ping Moleskin Fairway Cover. I found the Golfers Journal about a year ago and immediately signed up to be a founding subscriber - check it out if you haven't.

Utility Iron

Another ebay find. I was keen to try a utility iron as I've never really got on with hybrids or 5 woods, just didn't feel they were accurate enough. I used to carry a 2-iron, but given my lack of play I thought it ridiculous to persevere with one.

Being a lefty I didn't know anyone with a utility iron I could try, but found one on ebay for £20 delivered. Thought if I liked it I'll invest in a shiny new one, but this one just worked so I haven't bothered to - 4 years later it's a firm favourite in the bag.

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi - #3, 21 - S300 Shaft

Irons

Last winter, I decided new irons would enthuse me to get back into golf. I'd had a set of Cleveland TA3 Form-Forged irons for years, and as much as I loved them I wanted a little more help too. Everyone around me was buying Srixon Irons (it seemed), and when I saw the 765's were available left handed (I don't recall the 745's being so?) I took the plunge.

I wanted a little more help with the 4 iron, so opted for a 565. I find it blends perfectly from my utility iron to my 765 5 iron - I couldn't be happier with my 2018 major purchase.

Srixon 565 - 4 iron - KBS Stiff Shaft / Srixon 765 - 5 iron to Pitching Wedge - KBS Stiff Shafts

4 iron on the left in both pictures against 5 iron on the right

Wedges

I'd had Cleveland 588's in the bag for years, with an old Vokey thrown in for the lob wedge. I upgraded last month, I like to wear them in a little before a playing season so they feel like 'my wedges' rather than fresh out the box for the first medal of the year.

Titleist Vokey Wedges - SM7 50, SM7 54, SM6 58 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Shafts

The SM6 was in great condition at a good price from Golf Bidder which is the only reason it isn't a matching set, the others I got from the Pro at my workplace.

Putter

I have a couple in the lounge at home, but this is in the bag for now. A friend lent this to me a few months back, I like the longer grip even though it's still a 35" putter.

My best putting rounds have come with an Odyssey 2-ball (on the look out for one again now) and a Ping Redwood I got for my 18th. The Redwood is almost back in the bag but I need to put a new grip on it - the SuperStroke on it doesn't feel as good as the Iomic I used to have on it.

Tid-Bits

Since reading more articles and magazine such as The Golfers Journal, I try to keep an eye out for 'nice things'. This ball marker I got from a day out at Little Aston, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, is a good example - hope to continue to collect such items as I play more and more courses.

Also, the Club Glove Towels are the perfect size in my opinion.

Thank you to anyone who has read this far, and I look forward to any feedback on my first WITB.

Very nice post and well thought out bag.

What are your other putters?

Thank you for your kind words!

I own a Black Mist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, a Scotty Cameron Pro-Platinum Newport 2, the aforementioned Ping Redwood Anser and a Yes! Sophia.

The Black Mist Scotty is at my parents house, in a bag I use when home - I'll take some pictures of the others when I get home.

Ridiculously the journey should only take two-hours, but the M25 is such a nightmare it's taken me over 4 hours to get back the last two times I've tried. The train is only two and a half hours, so now I have an old set with them:

Ping Moon Bag (original one)

Ping G20 Driver, Bubba Watson Pink Edition, 10.5 Stiff

TaylorMade Rescue #2, Aldila Hybrid Stiff Shaft

Cleveland TA3 Form Forged Irons 4-PW

Cleveland 588 wedges, 53 & 56

Titleist Vokey 60 degree wedge

Scotty Cameron Black-Mist Putter

Keeping an eye out for a half decent 3 wood on ebay to go in the reserve bag, but not too bothered as my old course I tend to play is mostly played using a driver and irons.

Play well. Nice tools !

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Hi Rob,

Great to see you back playing and enjoying it. Very easy to become disinterested in the hobby when it becomes part of your job, i gave up for 12 years and its never been remotely part of my job.

Some great gear there, i have a ping moon bag up in the attic which i used for years, cant bring myself to get rid of it even now! And links and Kings well what can I say absolute top draw, have a few from differing courses covering my woods, you know there in safe hands...

I have to say that Rob is clearly very modest, this year I decided to truely get out there and play some top courses in competitve scratch events and without a shadow of a doubt the best run was by Rob, fabulous event and run like clockwork, around two world class courses which absolutely beat me up. Alas for however much the courses beat me up the welcome more than made up for it, a true gent and it was a pleasure meeting you, oh and Im planning on heading back down your way for July 2020 :)

If your back down in Tenby for next year id be very happy to repay the compliment and show you around, maybe even partner up for one of the open days, but id warn you to do as i say not as i do.

Keep the posts coming....

Hi Rob,

Great to see you back playing and enjoying it. Very easy to become disinterested in the hobby when it becomes part of your job, i gave up for 12 years and its never been remotely part of my job.

Some great gear there, i have a ping moon bag up in the attic which i used for years, cant bring myself to get rid of it even now! And links and Kings well what can I say absolute top draw, have a few from differing courses covering my woods, you know there in safe hands...

I have to say that Rob is clearly very modest, this year I decided to truely get out there and play some top courses in competitive scratch events and without a shadow of a doubt the best run was by Rob, fabulous event and run like clockwork, around two world class courses which absolutely beat me up. Alas for however much the courses beat me up the welcome more than made up for it, a true gent and it was a pleasure meeting you, oh and Im planning on heading back down your way for July 2020 :)

If your back down in Tenby for next year id be very happy to repay the compliment and show you around, maybe even partner up for one of the open days, but id warn you to do as i say not as i do.

Keep the posts coming....

Really good to hear from you Dave - hope all well and not too cold the other side of the Isle!

Thanks for your kind words, it was great running the South East Links this year - we had so much good feedback and hope to further develop the event for years to come.

I'm definitely seeing golf differently now; you're right in saying it's easy to not play when it's part of my job, but I'm seeing it as an escape from the office!

If I manage to get down to Tenby I'll definitely drop you a line - whether for the week or not it'd be great to have a couple of days there.

One thing I forgot to mention the website looks fantastic, does the course justice, photos are amazing and ive even pinched one of myself at Ports for my fb profile, clearly a talented photographer as it makes me look slim :)

Yes we're very happy with how the website came out. His pictures of the South East Links were great too - so much so he's managed to get the contract for Royal Cinque Ports too!

• Like 1

Booked a group trip to Turkey next year with Your Golf Travel, consequently I find out I'll be the owner of a TaylorMade M4 as I booked it for 8 or more.

Has anyone gone from the (2016) M1 to the M4? Any thoughts?

I'll likely just put my M1 shaft in so that won't be a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Struggled on the greens the last few times I managed to get out there, so with a competition at Royal Cinque Ports tomorrow I thought I'd get the old reliable re-gripped.

I got this putter for my 18 birthday; back when Summers were much longer and we never missed putts! The Golf Pride Tour SNSR Grip is similar to the one I had on it when I was younger, it feels great so looking forward to trying it this afternoon when I sneak out the office for a putt.

I added the lead weight when I started going to thicker grips - no idea how much is on there but if it works, I don't really care.

Struggled on the greens the last few times I managed to get out there, so with a competition at Royal Cinque Ports tomorrow I thought I'd get the old reliable re-gripped.

I got this putter for my 18 birthday; back when Summers were much longer and we never missed putts! The Golf Pride Tour SNSR Grip is similar to the one I had on it when I was younger, it feels great so looking forward to trying it this afternoon when I sneak out the office for a putt.

I added the lead weight when I started going to thicker grips - no idea how much is on there but if it works, I don't really care.

I am the same way on lead tape I do not care how much is on there or how it looks just as long as it works

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Like many on here, I've thoroughly enjoyed going through people's WITB posts as well as those on the PGA Tour. Last night after a good range session I finally got round to taking pictures of my own - I hope you enjoy them.

To give you all a bit of a back story; I live in the South of England and have done all my life. I started playing when I was 11, but started really getting into it when I turned 13 and stopped playing other sports so much (hockey/football (soccer)). I'd learnt to play at a small 9-hole course, but when I turned 15 (12 hcap) my Dad agreed it would be best that I join his Club, which is also where my Grandfather played.

My Summers from the age of 15 to 18 were then spent playing golf from dawn to dusk with a group of people who I still consider to be among the best of my friends. English Summers when the sun is up from 5am to 9pm - Dad's dropping us off at 7am and collecting us at 8pm, good golf during the day; house parties and teenage shenanigans in the evenings. We were living the dream.

There was always 6-8 of us at the Club each day, our Junior Team (6) were all handicapped between 2 - 5 when were 16-18. We'd always play 2 rounds a day, then chip and putt on the 3rd & 4th greens in the evenings as they were out of sight of the Clubhouse.

Inevitably university or work took over our lives, however I consider myself lucky to to work in the game. That final Junior year is 10 years ago now, but there isn't a time when we meet up for a beer (unfortunately only an annual event after some of us moved away) that we don't hark back to those great Junior days.

Now the modern day.

For years I've struggled with my short game. This issue crept in slowly and eventually took over to the point where I just didn't enjoy playing. I'm lucky in that for years I could not play for a month and always hit the ball well, but any real enjoyment stopped when I got within 50 yards of the green. Due to this lack of enjoyment I played less and less until it got to a stage last year that I hadn't played for 3 months (I used every excuse not to play - injury, other plans, etc).

This year I decided to try and change that.

Due to the busy nature of Summers here (and being out of the habit of playing after work) I tend to practice at a local range in the dark winters (sunset at 4.30pm from November to February). I really enjoy the range; earphones in, my own little world, no pressure.

This past month though I've played a bit, almost once every two weeks, and I've really got a competitiveness back which I haven't seen for years. For maybe 5 years I've been more concerned about other people playing well and enjoying themselves than my own game. I aim to behave the same way with my playing partners; but in the back of my mind have the old Rob telling me to "make another birdie" or "you can catch this guy".

I'm now a 3 handicap (2.7), but anyone who knows the UK handicap system will know it's impossible to get your handicap back up. I haven't put a card in since June 2016, which was just after I moved to East-Kent for a new job. That card was at Tenby Golf Club, Wales, in their Open Week (amazing week, check it out!) and was a solid +5 in tough conditions.

My aim for next year is to play in at least 10 competitions and maintain a 3 handicap.

Anway - back to my WITB!

Bag

I've always loved the way Ping Bags looked - I've had this 4 series for 3 years having found it on ebay for a bargain.

Driver & 3 wood

I've never been a great driver of the ball, so a decent 3 wood has always been a useful weapon.

I bought these on an old spec the week I moved to East-Kent. I actually bought the M2 head, but a friend who works here was struggling with his M1 head so asked to swap. I had only hit the M2 once so wasn't bothered, as I wasn't bothered with my golf at this stage anyway. Swapped the weights around last week (heavier weight on the front-to-back track) and it's helped with dispersion immensely.

The 3 wood is a dream - bought the 3HL so it was easier to hit than the 15 degree (again due to not playing a whole lot), and I can't see it going anywhere soon. This is the best fairway wood I've owned since my Titleist 975F with an X100 shaft.

TaylorMade M1 2016 - 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6s Shaft

TaylorMade M2 2016 - 3HL 16.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7s Shaft

The Golfers Journal Links & Kings Leather Driver Cover and an old-school Ping Moleskin Fairway Cover. I found the Golfers Journal about a year ago and immediately signed up to be a founding subscriber - check it out if you haven't.

Utility Iron

Another ebay find. I was keen to try a utility iron as I've never really got on with hybrids or 5 woods, just didn't feel they were accurate enough. I used to carry a 2-iron, but given my lack of play I thought it ridiculous to persevere with one.

Being a lefty I didn't know anyone with a utility iron I could try, but found one on ebay for £20 delivered. Thought if I liked it I'll invest in a shiny new one, but this one just worked so I haven't bothered to - 4 years later it's a firm favourite in the bag.

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi - #3, 21 - S300 Shaft

Irons

Last winter, I decided new irons would enthuse me to get back into golf. I'd had a set of Cleveland TA3 Form-Forged irons for years, and as much as I loved them I wanted a little more help too. Everyone around me was buying Srixon Irons (it seemed), and when I saw the 765's were available left handed (I don't recall the 745's being so?) I took the plunge.

I wanted a little more help with the 4 iron, so opted for a 565. I find it blends perfectly from my utility iron to my 765 5 iron - I couldn't be happier with my 2018 major purchase.

Srixon 565 - 4 iron - KBS Stiff Shaft / Srixon 765 - 5 iron to Pitching Wedge - KBS Stiff Shafts

4 iron on the left in both pictures against 5 iron on the right

Wedges

I'd had Cleveland 588's in the bag for years, with an old Vokey thrown in for the lob wedge. I upgraded last month, I like to wear them in a little before a playing season so they feel like 'my wedges' rather than fresh out the box for the first medal of the year.

Titleist Vokey Wedges - SM7 50, SM7 54, SM6 58 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Shafts

The SM6 was in great condition at a good price from Golf Bidder which is the only reason it isn't a matching set, the others I got from the Pro at my workplace.

Putter

I have a couple in the lounge at home, but this is in the bag for now. A friend lent this to me a few months back, I like the longer grip even though it's still a 35" putter.

My best putting rounds have come with an Odyssey 2-ball (on the look out for one again now) and a Ping Redwood I got for my 18th. The Redwood is almost back in the bag but I need to put a new grip on it - the SuperStroke on it doesn't feel as good as the Iomic I used to have on it.

Tid-Bits

Since reading more articles and magazine such as The Golfers Journal, I try to keep an eye out for 'nice things'. This ball marker I got from a day out at Little Aston, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, is a good example - hope to continue to collect such items as I play more and more courses.

Also, the Club Glove Towels are the perfect size in my opinion.

Thank you to anyone who has read this far, and I look forward to any feedback on my first WITB.

Love those stealth Vokeys

Great looking bag. Redwood putters are nice putters. I have one in the basement in case my gamer acts up.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

Got one of those redwoods in my cupboard somewhere and funnily enough has a wadge of lead on the sole also, sadly for me it doesnt work with or without the added lead!

How did you get on at cinque ports?

Thanks Dave - all the prep though and left it at home so used the TaylorMade, didn't make a thing!!!

It was a great day out, course was in really good nic, not just for the time of year either. Rather cold though, 3 degrees and a 4 club wind! And yes the back nine was into all the way in... had to smoke a driver on the 14th (par 3 - 210 yards) and still didn't get pin high.

Can't wait to get out there again, love that track.

Got one of those redwoods in my cupboard somewhere and funnily enough has a wadge of lead on the sole also, sadly for me it doesnt work with or without the added lead!

How did you get on at cinque ports?

Thanks Dave - all the prep though and left it at home so used the TaylorMade, didn't make a thing!!!

It was a great day out, course was in really good nic, not just for the time of year either. Rather cold though, 3 degrees and a 4 club wind! And yes the back nine was into all the way in... had to smoke a driver on the 14th (par 3 - 210 yards) and still didn't get pin high.

Can't wait to get out there again, love that track.

Cant agree more what a great track it is, such contrasting 9 holes as well, and the opening hole one of the toughest Ive come across, the fairway looks like a B road from that back tee!

Played at Prince's Golf Club in a Christmas Texas Scramble competition yesterday - one of those glory days where the sun shines in December!

Still didn't take the Redwood out, but putted fairly solidly with the TaylorMade. My hesitation is that the T/M is so good from distance.

Back to the bag - it's pretty well set (less the putter), but I've been on the look out for a cheap 3 wood to go into the back-up bag I keep at my parents house. Came across a Cleveland Launcher, 15 degrees, stock stiff shaft, on eBay. Ridiculous buy for £4.95 :taunt: total £16.95 with postage!

These are the pictures from the listing, will post my own when I receive it in a few days time.

• 2 weeks later...

Having played a little around Christmas (including 10 holes Christmas Day with Dad!), I decided to have a lesson with a local Pro so I have specific things to focus on at the range in 2019. I'm certainly not a 'New Year, New Me' person, but want to get back into the game as stated earlier in this feed.

The lesson focused on connection and sequencing, something I've struggled with FOREVER! I always used to get away with it with good hands, but obviously this isn't optimal going forward. Used a Tour Striker training aid in the lesson so bought one online - anyone else used one?

Had a round back at my old stomping ground on Friday last week when I headed home for Christmas. Amazing how wet inland courses have gotten already, feel so lucky to be able to play in dry conditions down on the coast.

Happy New Golfing Year to all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hit a bucket on the range at work today - enjoying working on my swing for the first time in a while!

Video:

Having lessons with a local pro to work on shortening the back swing to keep everything together more. Only a few weeks in but definitely seeing improvements.

Hit a bucket on the range at work today - enjoying working on my swing for the first time in a while!

Video:

Having lessons with a local pro to work on shortening the back swing to keep everything together more. Only a few weeks in but definitely seeing improvements.

Like it, very Tom Watsonesque at the top of the swing, certainly did him well. :)

Video:

Like it, very Tom Watsonesque at the top of the swing, certainly did him well. :)

Thanks Dave - hope the year has started well for you!