Callaway Apex MB and easy to hit blade?

texas_golfer

I’m usually bounce around an 8-10 handicap. Currently a 9.2 but that’s because I’ve been taking some lessons over past couple months and doing some big swing changes. Things finally starting to come together. My ultimate goal is to get down to around a 5. Anyway. I’d say I’m a pretty decent ball striker. But I don’t find the sweet spot every hit for sure.

I’ve played players cavity back irons for years now. But never blades. But every time I go into my local big box store there’s a shiny Callaway Apex MB staring at me so I hit it. And I swear. As weird as it sounds. I hit it better than any other club in the store. For months now!

How can that be? Is it possibly the thin sole? I’m just curious why something like this would be easier to hit for someone like me?

• Like 1

I’m usually bounce around an 8-10 handicap. Currently a 9.2 but that’s because I’ve been taking some lessons over past couple months and doing some big swing changes. Things finally starting to come together. My ultimate goal is to get down to around a 5. Anyway. I’d say I’m a pretty decent ball striker. But I don’t find the sweet spot every hit for sure.

I’ve played players cavity back irons for years now. But never blades. But every time I go into my local big box store there’s a shiny Callaway Apex MB staring at me so I hit it. And I swear. As weird as it sounds. I hit it better than any other club in the store. For months now!

How can that be? Is it possibly the thin sole? I’m just curious why something like this would be easier to hit for someone like me?

for someone with a reasonable fundamentally sound swing, the small sole/little offset actually is more helpful. I can't do CBs. they feel so cumbersome on contact and take away feel...but those who are paid to play mostly use them.. they are more forgiving...somehow even though I don't see it.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

You and I had the EXACT same experience with the Apex MB. My pro asked me to hit it just for fun, and I could not believe how much better I hit it than the X-Forged, or any other more forgiving iron I have ever played. I kept telling myself it was a fluke, but after hitting 27 bags of range balls with that demo 7-iron (yes, 27 decent sized bags!). I finally broke down and got the full set, which I ordered identical to the demo of course. (PX 6.0). My first round with them when I was literally taking the plastic off the heads I shot 63 (-9, but agonizingly was -10 thru 15). So to say it was instant love would be an understatement.

I can say without hesitation that these irons have made the biggest difference in my game than any other equipment purchase. They are absolutely pure in every regard. Distance and direction control are my main priorities in irons and these are the best I have ever played in both of those categories.

Before the arguments begin...blades work for me because I have an early release. Wide bulky soles don't work for me.

Sometimes there is a fundamental reason why blades will work better for some.

I hit the Callaway MB 6 iron at demo day off grass about a dozen times. It's a fantastic blade.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Give them a try if you are on the fence. I was on the fence about switching to blades for a few years then finally decided to pull the trigger this past spring. I have nothing but good things to say. It just may be hard to go back to a cavity design once you start playing a properly fit blade

Titleist TSi3 - TPO 70TX

Titleist 917 F2 16.5 - Diamana W 80X

Titleist 718 TMB 2 - MMT 105TX / TSi3 20 - TPW 100TX

Mizuno MP18 4-P - TTDG X100

Vokey SM9 50.12F, 56.12D - TTDG S400

Vokey SM8 60.08 M - TTDG S400

TaylorMade Tour Spider

That’s the same setup I’ve hit a million times at the store. 7 iron with 6.0 shaft. Dang, now I’m tempted. I just don’t want to regret it and make my game worse since I’m trying so desperately to improve. Plus. I know my friends. The heckling will come out haha. Ohh he’s gonna hit blades now. There goes his improvement. A holes. Lol

You and I had the EXACT same experience with the Apex MB. My pro asked me to hit it just for fun, and I couldn’t believe how much better I hit it than the X-Forged, or any other “more forgiving” iron I have ever played. I kept telling myself it was a fluke, but after hitting 27 bags of balls with that demo 7-iron, I finally broke down and got the full set, which I ordered identical to the demo of course. (PX 6.0). I can say without hesitation that these irons have made the biggest difference in my game than any other equipment purchase. They are absolutely pure in every regard.

It's a mental thing for sure. Miss hits are more punished with blades 100%. It is impossible to argue that. For some people, less offset and a smaller club makes them focus on strike more so the results can be better. Over a season though, for most amateurs, slightly more help would probably benefit scores. That said, play what feels good and you like to look down at. We golf to have fun and if you don't have fun with what you're hitting then there isn't much point.

Edit: for some, thin soles and less bounce can be of benefit. I'd also take a blade over an SGI if I had to choose. I go in between to take advantage of both sides.

• Like 1

You and I had the EXACT same experience with the Apex MB. My pro asked me to hit it just for fun, and I could not believe how much better I hit it than the X-Forged, or any other more forgiving iron I have ever played. I kept telling myself it was a fluke, but after hitting 27 bags of range balls with that demo 7-iron (yes, 27 decent sized bags!). I finally broke down and got the full set, which I ordered identical to the demo of course. (PX 6.0). My first round with them when I was literally taking the plastic off the heads I shot 63 (-9, but agonizingly was -10 thru 15). So to say it was instant love would be an understatement.

I can say without hesitation that these irons have made the biggest difference in my game than any other equipment purchase. They are absolutely pure in every regard. Distance and direction control are my main priorities in irons and these are the best I have ever played in both of those categories.

who the hell are you? In a Predator movie voice

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I think if you hit more heel side it's easier to find the sweet spot in my experience. I usually hit a 34 degree 7 iron blade as far as 30 degree game improvement irons because I get them flush more often.

I found a great happy medium in Srixon Z785. I've owned and played following blades. Cleveland CG1 black pearl, Hogan Apex 73, Apex 99, Apex 18 mb, mp-32. Nike VR blades.

Apex MB are nice but I choose the wrong shaft.. project x lz. I had to move on. Was just not a good fit for me long term. Had I gotten the shaft right Apex MB would still be in the bag. They are forgiving and feel great.

I say go for it and combo long irons or play some hybrids if that is an issue.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

This Cally 2018 Apex MB phenomenon is not a mental thing. I've gamed blades my entire golfing life ... and have hovered around 6-10 handicap over the past 20 years.

I also have had the opportunity to try out these Cally MB's and there is something there. Without even warming up ... without even trying ... I flush these things ... effortlessly ... throughout the entire set ... I actually make it a point to hit these whenever I go into my local Galaxy and/or 2nd Swing ... just to confirm ... and it's always the same story. And always brings a smile to my face.

If you FORCE me to make some sort of guess as to why ... the ONLY thing I can see that MIGHT make these things so dang hit-able ... is the beautiful heel relief. In my opinion, not NEARLY enough manufacturers pay attention to heel relief as part of their design and sole grind. I have a theory (which I know is true for me) that fat chunks are in reality 99.9 % of the time ... the heel simply digging into the turf and not the entire sole or entire iron head. ESPECIALLY on like half to 3/4 swings ... CHUNK ... guess what .... it's the heel digging in.

Anyway ... I absolutely LOVE the heel relief on this club. and YES ... there is something there .... these blades are STUPID easy to flush ...

just sayin'

As others have stated, there are no secrets to hitting a MB club. Just be realistic. If you put a poor swing on the club,

Prepare yourself for a poor result, and that is true with any style of iron, be it SGI, GI, CB's, MB's, etc.....

Today's MB's are very player friendly, as opposed to the MB's of yore, pre 70's . I will not try to persuade you

Or anyone on their personal equipment choices, but I will and can dispell myths and misinformation regarding this

Style of iron. I encourage you to look to this site and others on this blade vs. any other style of iron topic. These boards

Are full of them, go to the search button, you will read opinions from all kinds of players, some informative, some arguably

Biased to one style of club only. Its your choice in the end. You can see by my signature, that I play two styles of irons, about

A half a year with each, the irons are different, but my scores stay fairly consistant. Again, its always your choice on what

You wish to play.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Why are not that hard to it (blades in general)

Apex mb are a nice stick

As long as you have some decent swing speed you will be fine. If you are on the lower side I might push you stick with something with alittle more MOI and some help to get the ball in the air.

I swing the driver at 120-122 mph. I have no problems launching a blade., even if I slightly mis-hit it

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Apex MB's aren't that hard to hit. I've owned and gamed a set and really enjoyed them..

I feel strongly that the irons you enjoy looking at and feel confident in will be the irons you play your best with.

I'd try to hit them on grass if you can - thin soled irons may dig more than you're used to and that won't be exposed in a simulator.

In the end, if you're a true GolfWrx member, you're going to end up buying them anyway. So don't make the mistake of buying something "similar" when you know the next time you see those shiny Apex MB's you're still going to lust after them :)

• Like 1

try grass first ... but ....

there are a small percentage of players that do better with thinner soled / lower bounce irons due to their mechanics

ps I would love a larger version of the s55. Same sole, same offset, just a little longer ... I'm a toe misser, YMMW

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I loved the look of the MB but I could not get the numbers compared to the X-Forged during a CC fitting with same shaft. Maybe I did not produce the speed needed but I was surprised by the results. Driver SS was 103-105 that day.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

If you have hit them multiple times and they flat out perform go get them

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

I hit the Apex several times in a store. Went back, hit ‘me, went back and back. Loved them. So I bought a set of raws.

Never hit them well at all and, sadly, sold them. Best looking club at address I ever saw. I think it didn’t work well with thin hits, you really need a descending strike with bottom of arc well beyond ball.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I experienced the same thing as you with the Apex MB. I have hit that demo 7 iron with PX 6.0 for the last year and could not believe the results. I have always done well with narrow soled irons but I went away from those over the last year and went with p790's. My favorite set that I have ever had was a set of Don White ground Macgregor MT blades that I had ground with zero bounce. I finally pulled the trigger when I found a set of the Raw Apex MB's brand new in the BST. I could not fight it anymore this is just what works for me.

Callaway: Rogue ST LS Triple Diamond 10.5 with Fujikura Ventus TR 6X
Callaway: Rogue ST Triple Diamond T 3wd (14) with Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
Callaway: Epic Speed 4wd (16.5) Fujikura Ventus Red 7X
Callaway: Super Hybrid 22 degree with Graphite Design 105 S
Cobra: Cobra RF Proto Irons 5-pw Mitsubishi MMT 125 S
Artisan: 50,54,58 Raw Tour Issue S400 
Ping PLD Custom Anser 34 in

Thanks everyone. I went back up to the local store today (truth be told I went to 2 different stores today) and hit my current PXG 0311T 7 iron and compared it to the Apex MB. I had the gentleman working there assist me and he was like wow, you definitely need these clubs. But of course he is a salesman.

Long story short. I warmed up for about 5 mins with my PXG. Then he had me hit 4-5 shots with each club. The Callaway then my PXG. I had my lofts on my PXG bent and lofts on these clubs are exactly the same. I have a Modus 105 stiff shaft in my club and the Project X 6.0 in the callaway.

At the end of the day, the overall carry and offline numbers are similar. Buuuut. My ballspeed, launch, decent and overall consistency was better with the callaway. I didn’t delete any shots from the callaway (top) but did delete one real bad one from the PXG to get a good comparison. I did hit the second shot with the callaway a tad heavy. But all the callaway shots stayed pretty much right on line. Whereas my PXG seemed to be all over the map.

After about an hour of switching back and forth. I seriously concluded that the callaway blades are much more suited for me. I never would have imagined this. So I left and went to another store and did nearly the same thing but without someone assisting me and yup...exact same thing. I was hitting the callaway on a rope all day long around 158-162 carry on average for the 7 iron with all the other numbers very similar.

Pics below show my 4 shots (one pxg bad shot deleted) with callaway on top, pxg on bottom. Then a few random screenshots of my ball flight and numbers of a few of the strikes. I was pulling them slightly at times. But overall I was hovering around 5 yards offline either way.

What I came to the conclusion was that a blade isnt any harder to hit st all. And in my case it seemed actually easier to hit. But where it hurts is when you do slightly mishit the ball, it doesn’t travel as far. But the good news is my mishits with the blade seemed to at least stay online, just short. Whereas my mishit with the pxg May have carried roughly the same distance on a mishit vs good hit, but the accuracy would be compromised. I think personally, on a course. I’d rather be short and straight than long and wide on a mishit.

Sounds like you know what you’re gettting into. There’s a few different ways that golfers define “better”. In your case you might be attracted to the pure feel of the MB. Nothing that is hollow bodied or hollow bodied/filled in can compare to a pure struck muscle back. Also the MB provides more feedback so the golfer can distinguish between a pure shot and a mishit thus making the pure shot feel better.

I say build as much confidence as you can with the MB before taking them out to the course. If you have your mind set to it the MB will perform for you. Doubting that you have the ability to play them is the kiss of death. As long as you have enough club head speed and take relatively good divots you’ll be fine.

Play what you want but as one who has faced your current dilemma a number of times I offer the following two observations.

1. Anybody that can fart and chew gum at the same time can hit a blade from a level mat once they've had time adjust and hit multiple balls. Mats really mask slightly fat shots and also tend to produce more launch angle than you get from turf. No golf course - especially the typically somewhat soft courses most folks play - will mask fat shots from clubs with thin soles.

2. It's one thing to swing confidently in a hitting bay indoors when you have a banana clip in the money gun and the urge to 'ho is strong. It can be quite another to address a ball that is below your feet with sand in front and water on the right and have the same level of confidence.

Not trying to dissuade you necessarily - the Apex MB is a nice club and in general the actual effect of 'forgiveness' is vastly overrated in my opinion. However, I suggest you consider that golf is played outside on uneven terrain and that you might want to play a few rounds outdoors with a demo set before you commit.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X