2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway Apex MB and easy to hit blade?

texas_golfer

Appears you did find the answer...……...

"I have a Modus 105 stiff shaft in my club and the Project X 6.0 in the callaway."

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Thanks everyone. I went back up to the local store today (truth be told I went to 2 different stores today) and hit my current PXG 0311T 7 iron and compared it to the Apex MB. I had the gentleman working there assist me and he was like wow, you definitely need these clubs. But of course he is a salesman.

Long story short. I warmed up for about 5 mins with my PXG. Then he had me hit 4-5 shots with each club. The Callaway then my PXG. I had my lofts on my PXG bent and lofts on these clubs are exactly the same. I have a Modus 105 stiff shaft in my club and the Project X 6.0 in the callaway.

At the end of the day, the overall carry and offline numbers are similar. Buuuut. My ballspeed, launch, decent and overall consistency was better with the callaway. I didn't delete any shots from the callaway (top) but did delete one real bad one from the PXG to get a good comparison. I did hit the second shot with the callaway a tad heavy. But all the callaway shots stayed pretty much right on line. Whereas my PXG seemed to be all over the map.

After about an hour of switching back and forth. I seriously concluded that the callaway blades are much more suited for me. I never would have imagined this. So I left and went to another store and did nearly the same thing but without someone assisting me and yup...exact same thing. I was hitting the callaway on a rope all day long around 158-162 carry on average for the 7 iron with all the other numbers very similar.

Pics below show my 4 shots (one pxg bad shot deleted) with callaway on top, pxg on bottom. Then a few random screenshots of my ball flight and numbers of a few of the strikes. I was pulling them slightly at times. But overall I was hovering around 5 yards offline either way.

What I came to the conclusion was that a blade isnt any harder to hit st all. And in my case it seemed actually easier to hit. But where it hurts is when you do slightly mishit the ball, it doesn't travel as far. But the good news is my mishits with the blade seemed to at least stay online, just short. Whereas my mishit with the pxg May have carried roughly the same distance on a mishit vs good hit, but the accuracy would be compromised. I think personally, on a course. I'd rather be short and straight than long and wide on a mishit.

Mr PXG won't like this. :yes:

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

Texas golf, I see you have two threads on the same topic, for what its worth, hopefully you have made up your mind and you will tell us if you are going to put the apex mb's in play, let us know if you are pleased with your decision.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Scratch the itch.

If it works great.

If your performance is the same but you get a smile every time you see that shiny chrome clubhead also great. (This is where my money would be)

If you find out they aren't for you, at least now you know and you can sell them for a bit of a hit.

It cost me $100 to find out. I love playing blades and thought these raw would be the pinnacle. But I don’t regret the $100. I would have forever been wishing I had tried them.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Thanks everyone. I went back up to the local store today (truth be told I went to 2 different stores today) and hit my current PXG 0311T 7 iron and compared it to the Apex MB. I had the gentleman working there assist me and he was like wow, you definitely need these clubs. But of course he is a salesman.

Long story short. I warmed up for about 5 mins with my PXG. Then he had me hit 4-5 shots with each club. The Callaway then my PXG. I had my lofts on my PXG bent and lofts on these clubs are exactly the same. I have a Modus 105 stiff shaft in my club and the Project X 6.0 in the callaway.

At the end of the day, the overall carry and offline numbers are similar. Buuuut. My ballspeed, launch, decent and overall consistency was better with the callaway. I didn't delete any shots from the callaway (top) but did delete one real bad one from the PXG to get a good comparison. I did hit the second shot with the callaway a tad heavy. But all the callaway shots stayed pretty much right on line. Whereas my PXG seemed to be all over the map.

After about an hour of switching back and forth. I seriously concluded that the callaway blades are much more suited for me. I never would have imagined this. So I left and went to another store and did nearly the same thing but without someone assisting me and yup...exact same thing. I was hitting the callaway on a rope all day long around 158-162 carry on average for the 7 iron with all the other numbers very similar.

Pics below show my 4 shots (one pxg bad shot deleted) with callaway on top, pxg on bottom. Then a few random screenshots of my ball flight and numbers of a few of the strikes. I was pulling them slightly at times. But overall I was hovering around 5 yards offline either way.

What I came to the conclusion was that a blade isnt any harder to hit st all. And in my case it seemed actually easier to hit. But where it hurts is when you do slightly mishit the ball, it doesn't travel as far. But the good news is my mishits with the blade seemed to at least stay online, just short. Whereas my mishit with the pxg May have carried roughly the same distance on a mishit vs good hit, but the accuracy would be compromised. I think personally, on a course. I'd rather be short and straight than long and wide on a mishit.

Made the exact switch you talking about myself early this year. I had "hotspots" with PXg's and have had none with MB's.. PXG's are no doubt more forgiving by far but I nothing like a blade. I switched to the MP 18's last month just because I am a picker and like the lower bounce on the MP's... Make the switch....

Scratch the itch.

If it works great.

If your performance is the same but you get a smile every time you see that shiny chrome clubhead also great. (This is where my money would be)

If you find out they aren't for you, at least now you know and you can sell them for a bit of a hit.

It cost me $100 to find out. I love playing blades and thought these raw would be the pinnacle. But I don’t regret the $100. I would have forever been wishing I had tried them.

I had mine bead blasted and they turned out great...

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

One of the things to look at is closure rates with some player's cavities compared to MBs. I had the S55s and loved them, but my overall numbers with X-Protos and Apex MBs were better. The slight toe weighting of the S55 caused the face to be closing quicker and my direction control and ball speeds weren't as good. I found this with my AP2s and other demo clubs. Enjoy the MBs, they're a good looking blade and not going to punish you as much as you may fear.

TSR4 9*(A2), Diamana PD 60TX 45.5 (testing) Smoke 💎💎💎9*

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41"

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i

T24 54.08D, Callaway Jaws Raw 60.08C, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Mizuno RB X or Callaway Tour X

Sorry guys. Didn’t realize there were 2 threads. When I was creating it I was having bad internet connection. If the admins could merge the 2 that would be awesome.

That said, I did it!! Well partly. I sold my PXG 0311T heads and turned around and used the money and straight up bought a brand new set of 2018 Callaway Apex MB.

Good news is they didn’t cost me a penny and I still have my old Modus 105 stiff shafts with my Arccos grips. And I now have an Apex MB 4 iron I can sell also.

Bad news is the shafts in the Callaways aren’t for me. They are extra stiff. So I’ll sell them also.

Not sure I want to keep my Modus though. I hit the PX 6.0 really well at the stores. So I may try and get fitted for the perfect shaft and get that one. In which case I’d sell my Modus 105 shafts as well.

At the end of the day, I should end up with a perfectly fitted set of Apex MB and money possibly left over. But sounds like I may be without clubs for a week or two until it’s all figured out and done. At least it’s Christmas time

Apex MB are legit great sticks! No more difficult to hit than most any players cavity on the market.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

They are so awesome that I bought a backup set to store away for years to come.

Figure if I want to try something different, an un-hit set of RAW MB's in the wrapper will still we worth a lot.

I'm not going to say their aren't days where I could use some added forgiveness but I'm also not playing for a living and if my hdcp goes up, I am more dangerous in matches.

Just traded in my Titleist 718 cb irons for the Callaway MB’s. I’m only gaming 5-pw. They are the softest feel I have ever hit. Now trying to figure out wedges and the 3/4 iron.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61) DGS200

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

• 3 months later...

I ended up back in the day moving into blades because of the narrower sole so sometimes things like that can make a massive difference. I would also recommend testing off grass as well, that just confirmed to myself that the blades were a good choice for me personally .

Good luck!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

I just got a set of last year's Apex MBs in the PW-7iron. I've noticed that the irons tend to be slightly draw biased and favor the sweet spot in the middle or slightly in the heel, actually. It's strange to get an iron that tends to move into the heel for the sweet spot but is draw biased. However, that could play a role in why lots of people like them. Those who fade the ball or tend to make heel contact may see a straighter to even a draw ball flight, and it may feel more solid on the contact.

> @BrianMcG said:

> Blades aren't harder to hit than any other golf club. Nor do you need to practice more in order to hit them.

Truth^.

Most rec players have a 3-4-5 some even 6 hybrid anyway.6 or 7-Pw is nothing to be afraid of.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @BrianMcG said:

> > Blades aren't harder to hit than any other golf club. Nor do you need to practice more in order to hit them.

>

> Truth^.

>

> Most rec players have a 3-4-5 some even 6 hybrid anyway.6 or 7-Pw is nothing to be afraid of.

I agree on blades as being easy to hit and even at times easier to hit than casts. In my personal case, I went in for the Mizuno MMC anticipating a retirement set from my 900T, MMC ended up being horrid.

Wanted more feel and up it another level to the SC and wasn’t so bad so what hell, try the MB for craps and giggles.

Hell, the blade was the easiest to hit. Learned that I didn’t need nonsense toe tungsten technology , low COG crap, sweet spot to the heel is my miss, and lastly, the right club head size was key to me.

For the guy with a 6 hybrid, I would just walk away from that pairing and get a refund. It’s. life’s too short for an agonizing round and hear about how we play for fun.

To the OP, the Cally MBs are a great irons. They were in contention on my purchase list but the set didn’t come with a 3 iron.

• 3 weeks later...

Came here to add one more datapoint/anecdote supporting the idea that the Apex MB 18s are the easiest to hit “blade” on the market.

When I first got into the game, I thought Callaway was cool ... because marketing. So my first set of irons were the RAZR X HLs and second set were the X-Forged 13s. Then I decided Callaway wasn’t cool ... because realized marketing gimmicky. Third set of irons were Srixon Z585s, great off grass, but awful to hit off the mats at the range down the street from my house because the soles were thick and grabbed hard on heavy shots ... literally sprained my left wrist and had to take 5 months off. Fourth set of irons were Mizuno 900Ts, super thin soul, much better off mats, made big strides in my game with this set. Then went blade hunting ... because s3xy. As much as I wanted to buy the MP18s or MB18s or P730s, the Apex MBs gave me the most confidence and were the least punishing off the toe. I still don’t even like Callaway as a brand, but I’m right back to having a bag full of them ... because OCD.

TSi2 | D, 4W, 4H | TENSEI AV RAW White

ZX5 | 5I | MMT 

ZX7 | 6I-PW | MMT

SM8 | 52.12F, 58.12D | MMT

Newport 2

WITB

I have the raw mb’s In the back. They are the softest and easiest to hit out of them all. And I have played them all. Love the look. They will be in the bag for a while

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide