JPX Forged 919 and 919 Tour-Long Term Review??

russian7

I just sent my MP 67"s to Tiger Nick to get a black nitride treatment and picked up 4-pw 900 tours and 3-pw 919 tours from RBG after a trade in. The 919's are amazing to me so far.

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Picked up a set of New Tours 3-PW on eBay for 790.00 and sold my MP-30's for $200 in the same week! Now I am going to pick up some TI X100's to install in them.

Going to have a whole new bag for 2019 besides putter.

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

• 2 weeks later...

Hon3stly, the more i read about the 919t, the more i want to test them.

Can anyone compare them to the j15cb or the ping i series?

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Dumbfounded and skeptical as well on the 919T.

I own the 18MB which is very easy to hit and the 900T are my GI. I game a 3-PW in both sets.

The 919T are a GI in disguise with such a fat sole and toe bias design.

What I see at address on the 3 iron is a thin top line, little offset but a fat sole and rear that is awfully visible.

I don't really understand why so many are moving to these over a fli-hi and mp18 combo set. The 18's are not at all hard to hit from the 6 or 7 down. So, what exactly are you gaining in the 919t. I.e. why does it even exist?

Why dumfounded that someone might like something different from you. The 919T are easier to hit than the 18 MB's. Why does it even exist? How about another option from Mizuno. We get it, you don't like them, and don't understand where they fit. No one is forcing you to buy a set.

I love it when people refer to a true MB as "very easy" to hit.

I have no dislike whatsoever, and they are tour proven. They have 6 sets of irons out right now, and the 919 tour seems like a weird fit to me, as in they already have that niche covered. And, no, the MP18 are not difficult to hit.

It doesn't mean I won't own a set either :)

I think its easier to answer if you flip the question and ask why they need the mp18s when they already had the 900s (and now the 919s). when the mp18s came out, all player types could find sthg that worked out of the jpx line.

if you assume the MPs are the main line of mizuno then the JPXs can seem redundant. but if you assume the JPX is mizunos main line of clubs then it all makes a lot more sense. they make the JPX as their max engineered clubs, the JPX are the what mizuno sees as the leading edge in club design. and then they keep the MPs around because they have a loyal following.

i think of it as this, the mp is the club mizuno HAS to produce for the bottom line, so many of their loyalists are traditionalists. but mizuno doesnt just want to be boxed into that reputation. so the jpx are the clubs mizuno WANTS to make, the clubs that push less traditional design and max out engineering more. if they were to choose one line for performance, its the jpx. but for longterm customers (and $$$) they have to make the MPs too.

MP IS Mizuno’s top line. Traditional Japanese line.

They had grain special forging before JPX.

JPX is more for the modern players.

MP18SC CANT BE BETTER. perfect design. Simple, traditional.

Plus having both lines, allows Mizuno to have a new development set each year, instead of two year cycle.

Now that I have returned my I500's I need some new players irons for a back up set.

Looking at the JPX 919 forged possibly, anyone have long term reviews on the forged or tour I mean overall distance, consistency, workability, feel and all of that after playing for a few months?

How much less forgiving are the 919 tours?

Any other recommendations for players irons with some forgiveness but thinner toplines?

Currently playing Forged Tec Blacks and they are the best I've hit in awhile but need another set to try because it's golf wrx hahahah!

Let me know thank you!

The forged are hotter, 7 iron to 7 iron I was seeing 4 mph better ball speed on average; lofts , design , whatever, it’s there. That said, If you strike the ball consistently and have the speed to hit the “slower” club the distance you want, I would not choose the forged over the tour because I don’t think the small amount of forgiveness offsets the feel, look and everything else that makes you like the TOur in the first place. I just sold my tours because I can’t get it through my thick head that I don’t get along with X100 , but only after I reordered with my trusty Project x.

I have not played either of those irons, but played my 900F and 919T on back to back days, and the forgiveness is negligible in 6-P.

919T is a special one IMO.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

The Ping i series are special clubs. I’ve played an i series iron most of my life and will always have a set within reach. I’ve always looked at them as a perfect blend of forgiveness with better player aesthetics.

That said, I bought a set of 919 tours (6-PW, 919f 5 iron) recently and they are truly incredible. There’s more forgiveness baked into them than you would expect by looking at them, but they’re not as forgiving as the i series. The tours feel amazing obviously, and will provide better “feel” feedback. The are also easier for me to flight. Pings have better audible feedback, launch higher and provide more help through the turf, but I prefer the precision like feel of the tours through the turf.

Hard for me to recommmend one over the other. Both are excellent.

I played i20, i25, ie's, several sets of Ping irons. Liked them quite a bit. Switched from Ping to Honma for a couple of seasons. Thought I was going to buy the Forged, but tested all three, Forged, Tours, and HM. I found the Tour to be plenty forgiving enough for my game, and I liked the feel, workability, and looks a little better than the Forged. The Forged are slightly longer, but I loved the Tours around the greens chipping which were far superior to the Forgeds.

I ended up with the Tours P-6, bought a Forged 5 and a HM 4 iron that I LOVE. It is a bomber off the tee. I have the traditional lofts so my gaps at the top of the bag are 5* which worked for me on our course.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

919t are less forgiving than both of those.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

Just hit my new 919 Tours this weekend. I looked at this thread right before buying them, so there are probably others trying to get whatever insight they can for the purchase. Someone mentioned a disdain for too much offset on these irons further back in the thread (or was it another thread?) I have to disagree. the offset for me was not a lot at all and just the right amount for a blade type iron. The turf interaction is just perfect. the club glides through the turf and gives off a very satisfying sharp , solid feel/sound. Classic Mizuno for me. the forgiveness is actually better than I thought it would be as well. You really have to miss it pretty badly to have it drastically effect ball flight. All ln all, super happy. Oh, and maybe the best looking iron in the last 10 years. IMHO.

Callaway Epic Speed 9* 
Titleist TS2 15

Titleist TS2 21
Titlleist 913 H  27 deg.
New Level 902 PD  6 - PW

Vokey SM5 58, 50
Pro V1x Left Dash

The Ping i series are special clubs. I've played an i series iron most of my life and will always have a set within reach. I've always looked at them as a perfect blend of forgiveness with better player aesthetics.

That said, I bought a set of 919 tours (6-PW, 919f 5 iron) recently and they are truly incredible. There's more forgiveness baked into them than you would expect by looking at them, but they're not as forgiving as the i series. The tours feel amazing obviously, and will provide better "feel" feedback. The are also easier for me to flight. Pings have better audible feedback, launch higher and provide more help through the turf, but I prefer the precision like feel of the tours through the turf.

I played i20, i25, ie's, several sets of Ping irons. Liked them quite a bit. Switched from Ping to Honma for a couple of seasons. Thought I was going to buy the Forged, but tested all three, Forged, Tours, and HM. I found the Tour to be plenty forgiving enough for my game, and I liked the feel, workability, and looks a little better than the Forged. The Forged are slightly longer, but I loved the Tours around the greens chipping which were far superior to the Forgeds.

I ended up with the Tours P-6, bought a Forged 5 and a HM 4 iron that I LOVE. It is a bomber off the tee. I have the traditional lofts so my gaps at the top of the bag are 5* which worked for me on our course.

This is exactly what I'm thinking - P-6 919T, 5 Forged and 4 HM (of course it was MP18 last year with FliHi at the top end of the bag)

Can either/both of you compare to i20? I've loved that iron for 6-years now, but want to go Mizuno while I can still hit the ball well. ;)

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13) Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17) Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X Odyssey Sabertooth www.YourGolfHeadcovers.com

Certainly not a long term review ... just played 36 in high temps of 43* ... maybe my balls were frzen ??? but i can tell you i noticed a 7-8 yd bump in carry (full club) but im not sure if its club, loft, weather ... the major major major factor to me was the height of my shots ... my fitter told me that i had become used to a flight that was way to low ... i would guess tht this new setup is (or will be) 2x as high on full shots

Cant wait for warm weather or a trip to somewhere ... MIZUNO!! ?️♂️??

The Ping i series are special clubs. I've played an i series iron most of my life and will always have a set within reach. I've always looked at them as a perfect blend of forgiveness with better player aesthetics.

That said, I bought a set of 919 tours (6-PW, 919f 5 iron) recently and they are truly incredible. There's more forgiveness baked into them than you would expect by looking at them, but they're not as forgiving as the i series. The tours feel amazing obviously, and will provide better "feel" feedback. The are also easier for me to flight. Pings have better audible feedback, launch higher and provide more help through the turf, but I prefer the precision like feel of the tours through the turf.

This is exactly what I'm thinking - P-6 919T, 5 Forged and 4 HM (of course it was MP18 last year with FliHi at the top end of the bag)

Can either/both of you compare to i20? I've loved that iron for 6-years now, but want to go Mizuno while I can still hit the ball well. ;)

I played blades for years and years until I switched to the i20. The reason I switched to the i20 was the fascination I had with the iBlade. Loved the look of the Ping blades but when I tried them at demo day I ended up feeling like they were not as forgiving as I wanted and the i20 was just awesome. It took me a while to get used to a larger clubhead and offset, but the payoff was the forgiveness. I stayed with the Ping i20, i25, ie, etc for several years and liked them all. Mostly the long irons. I had decided I wanted to stay with a more forgiving iron. I have always been a pretty decent iron player, handicap bounces between 0-4 usually, but felt strongly that I needed a more forgiving iron especially long iron.

Fast forward to seeing the Mizuno 919. I always liked the look of the JPX line. When the new clubs came out, I thought for certain I was going to go with a combo of Forged and HM. I took all three out to the range and on the course. Man oh man did I love the Tour. I gave them all a good workout, and for me, the Tour was the most accurate. I had zero issues with forgiveness. I don't flush it all of the time and misses are on par with the Ping i series I felt. The smaller clubface helps me hit it more in the center though which has always been the case and the reason I played blades for years.

Our course is short and I like to hit long irons off the tee, hence the 4 HM. I wanted a stronger loft and that club is awesome. I hit it twice yesterday in my group and was only 25 yards behind the guys I was playing with that hit drivers and two of them played D1 in college. The club is just hotter than heck for me. I didn't mind the 5 degree gaps at the top of the bag either. I rarely have 200+ on par fours to need 4 or 5 iron. I hit the 5 about 205 and the 4 around 220. If I am 200+ out I am just trying to get the ball on the green somewhere or around it and I can usually pick one of those two to get to the front of the green etc. I care more about accuracy from 175 and in and that is where the Tour shines. I also like the Tour around the greens for chipping way better than the forged or HM.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I played blades for years and years until I switched to the i20. The reason I switched to the i20 was the fascination I had with the iBlade. Loved the look of the Ping blades but when I tried them at demo day I ended up feeling like they were not as forgiving as I wanted and the i20 was just awesome. It took me a while to get used to a larger clubhead and offset, but the payoff was the forgiveness. I stayed with the Ping i20, i25, ie, etc for several years and liked them all. Mostly the long irons. I had decided I wanted to stay with a more forgiving iron. I have always been a pretty decent iron player, handicap bounces between 0-4 usually, but felt strongly that I needed a more forgiving iron especially long iron.

Fast forward to seeing the Mizuno 919. I always liked the look of the JPX line. When the new clubs came out, I thought for certain I was going to go with a combo of Forged and HM. I took all three out to the range and on the course. Man oh man did I love the Tour. I gave them all a good workout, and for me, the Tour was the most accurate. I had zero issues with forgiveness. I don't flush it all of the time and misses are on par with the Ping i series I felt. The smaller clubface helps me hit it more in the center though which has always been the case and the reason I played blades for years.

Our course is short and I like to hit long irons off the tee, hence the 4 HM. I wanted a stronger loft and that club is awesome. I hit it twice yesterday in my group and was only 25 yards behind the guys I was playing with that hit drivers and two of them played D1 in college. The club is just hotter than heck for me. I didn't mind the 5 degree gaps at the top of the bag either. I rarely have 200+ on par fours to need 4 or 5 iron. I hit the 5 about 205 and the 4 around 220. If I am 200+ out I am just trying to get the ball on the green somewhere or around it and I can usually pick one of those two to get to the front of the green etc. I care more about accuracy from 175 and in and that is where the Tour shines. I also like the Tour around the greens for chipping way better than the forged or HM.

Thank you. This is very encouraging. I've been rotating sets in the fall - i20's, Mizuno MP62's and Hogan Edge GS - with no real differences in performance.

Like you, I don't worry all that much about the top end and 4-iron is mostly my version of driving iron, too. Really looking forward to this spring to go through the fitting process. Hope Miles of Golf does their demos in February. That would be nice to see some outdoor ball flights vs. GG simulator.

My wife made a nice contribution to the "Get Brian New Irons" fund as part of my Christmas. Heck, she designated it as a "Mizuno" donation!

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13) Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17) Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X Odyssey Sabertooth www.YourGolfHeadcovers.com

I find the 919Ts a bit more forgiving vs. the SCs. For some reason I feel more confident hitting the 919Ts. ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Finally

Merry Christmas to me ...

So ... 27 more holes today & i can honestly say that these irons may tranform my game back to where it once lived (yea yea yea says the ol'man)

The lofts ARE def stronger BUT i am hitting the ball so much higher! My 6 is flying higher than my old 8, 7 like a 9

I admit i didnt beleive my fitter ... there was NO WAY an iron head shaft setup can make that much difference

Why the hell did i wait ... I WAS WRONG!

919F 919Hm (4-6) Kbs Tour 120 shafts coming frm 850F PrjX6.0

Finally

So ... 27 more holes

Got out for another 36 holes which brings total to 99 w new sticks

Cold wet miserable conditions as usual fr Dec golf

Mizuno clubheads ... are well ... mizuno clubheads ... when you hit right they are butter

So far my fitting has been spot on ... higher, more carry (id say 6-8 yds)

i like the 4-5Hm (ball flight sooo high) but i wish i would have done 6 forged

I am happy w the performance so far & cant wait for warmer drier conditions

Finally

So ... 27 more holes

Got out for another 36 holes

My 919s are everything ive wanted

919F are butter & a full club longer than my 850F ... i can not tell a diff in turf interaction but that may chg if i ever play on a dry tract again ... i have been able to flight them & shape them very easily so far

919Hm are a diff story ... my 1st GI type iron & the soles are very different ... i can flight them (although moon balls are easier than knockdowns) but i can not shape them

I think that i am going to get a 6F to interchange w 6Hm

Thot id have a longer adj period going frm 6.0s to Kbs tours but i am loving that chg to ...

Hope this helps ... anyway you can not go wrong w Mizunos!

I've got some 919Fs on the way......excitement is building!

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I am joining the combo crew, ordering up a 919F 5 iron to finish my set.

I liked it enough when I tested this weekend, may not even wait to see the JPX fli-hi, doubt it looks as good.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x