Taylormade P760 (Pics Added)

jjgsgolf

I went and bought a set of the P760's after much deliberation! Couldn't wait on Callaway anymore lol.

Having played 3 rounds so far with them I am suitably impressed. Short irons feel really good and the long irons offer some good assistance on off centre hits.

I don't think the offset is as bad as some are making out. So far so good.

Hows the distance and trajectory for you? I'm waiting on my set to come in and can't wait to hit it outside.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm coming from P790 and then a testing spell with 919 forged against the p760, I like the trajectory, no fliers or jumpers so far like I was getting with P790.

I went with DG105 shafts and I like the flight and distance I am getting from them.

down on distance about a club from P790 but that's more loft change I think, up 5/6 yards on 919 forged. I just liked the P760 head better than the 919.

I'm coming from P790 and then a testing spell with 919 forged against the p760, I like the trajectory, no fliers or jumpers so far like I was getting with P790.

I went with DG105 shafts and I like the flight and distance I am getting from them.

down on distance about a club from P790 but that's more loft change I think, up 5/6 yards on 919 forged. I just liked the P760 head better than the 919.

Just wondering what is meant by “a club shorter”. Should that be about 10 yards? Also is that throughout the set, or just the non-speed foam heads?

Just wondering what is meant by "a club shorter". Should that be about 10 yards? Also is that throughout the set, or just the non-speed foam heads?

I didn't experience a full club. I'd have to go double check... but that day of my fit I was getting my p790 carrying around 190 (6i) and the P760 was like 185 or so. Much more consistent spin models and felt even softer than 790.

With the 790s one hit felt good, spin would be 5500. Next hit felt pretty similar and its 4000 spin. 760s only ever jumped around on good hits by maybe 400 revs or so. Overall my spin average in general went up about 200rpm as well.

I played a my new set of 760 today and had the exact same experience. It was 38 degrees out so I'm not really evaluating distance. But these clubs are really consistent. I had the same problem with the 790 - I loved them, but they had a lot of low spin jumpers and I was always managing through the risk of a flier.

760s remind me a lot of the z765 - very similar profile and feel - I think the 760 feel a little bit better myself but they are a very good comp to each other.

The 760 doesn't feel as powerful as the 790, but it does produce 90% of its forgiveness - I would say it is actually better on fat misses but not as good on skinny misses. All in all this is a very good club.

Saw these in person yesterday. they don't look as bad as they do in the photos.

So that would mean they look good.

I wouldn't say good, just not as garish as they do in the promo photos. They are more subdued in person. Besides, you aren't hitting the ball with the back of the club! The address position looked nice, and I'd bag a set if I was in the market and they preformed for me. I just can't justify the price of these.

That's why I'm waiting for some remorse sellers here on BST or eBay over the coming months. It's the off season anyway and all I need is a 7i a few wedges and a 3w for the simulator. I'm right there with you on price... but I got my P790's barely used from a member here for a really good price. Same thing will happen again, I'd almost guarantee it.

i bought 2 sets have a 5-pw with modus 105s that will be going on classifiedes soon

Just wondering what is meant by "a club shorter". Should that be about 10 yards? Also is that throughout the set, or just the non-speed foam heads?

A club shorter, so if I was hitting P790 6 iron, I'm going with 5 iron in P760.

It is winter here in the UK though so that could be taking a few yards off.

I didn't experience a full club. I'd have to go double check... but that day of my fit I was getting my p790 carrying around 190 (6i) and the P760 was like 185 or so. Much more consistent spin models and felt even softer than 790.

With the 790s one hit felt good, spin would be 5500. Next hit felt pretty similar and its 4000 spin. 760s only ever jumped around on good hits by maybe 400 revs or so. Overall my spin average in general went up about 200rpm as well.

Exactly what I was finding, same shot such a different result.

I am in the winter here in the UK so it's pretty heavy conditions so I would say I can get a few extra yards out of the P760 when it heats up again!!

I’ve had the 760 in the bag for 4 rounds now and I’m really liking them. This year I’ve gamed the iblade, MP18 mmc, p790 and now the p760. The 760s are far and away my favorite iron of 2018.

The short irons feel great and the gap between the 8 iron and 7 iron is right where I expect it to be, even with the addition of the speedfoam to the 7 iron. I’m getting more consistent carry numbers with the 760s than I was with the iblade and the MP18, and the long irons are much better on off centered strikes.

Looks wise, the 760 looks way better in person, and the chrome finish looks a lot better IMO than the finish on the 750/770.

Really happy with the 760 so far.

I've had the 760 in the bag for 4 rounds now and I'm really liking them. This year I've gamed the iblade, MP18 mmc, p790 and now the p760. The 760s are far and away my favorite iron of 2018.

The short irons feel great and the gap between the 8 iron and 7 iron is right where I expect it to be, even with the addition of the speedfoam to the 7 iron. I'm getting more consistent carry numbers with the 760s than I was with the iblade and the MP18, and the long irons are much better on off centered strikes.

Looks wise, the 760 looks way better in person, and the chrome finish looks a lot better IMO than the finish on the 750/770.

Really happy with the 760 so far.

Awesome feedback. I'm very curious about the transition from 8-iron to 7-iron, so thanks for including that.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Any reviews/opinions of the 3 iron? Just got a set of Honma 737v's coming in, and I'm thinking of getting the 760 3 iron to finish out the set

Titleist TSi3 9* | Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 70 6.5

Nike VR Pro Ltd 15* | Fujikura Ventus Black 7x

Taylormade Sim Max 18* | Mitsubishi Tensei  Pro Blue 80tx

Callaway Apex TCB 21' 4-A | True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Callaway Jaws 54* S-Grind | True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Z-GrindTrue Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Taylormade Spider X / Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I had a chance to hit these at my course today. Did not like anything about them. Too big, didn't feel good (although i'm coming from baby blades, so everything is pretty big in comparison)

You won’t find a single iron made by the major OEM’s that remotely fits your criteria if same size as baby blades is a requirement.

P730’s come close

Just held the 760s for the first time and “dear lord have mercy on my soul” they look good from the playing position.

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5: Ventus Blue 6X
Taylormade Stealth+ 3-15.5: Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade Stealth+ 5-19: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist T200 4: DG AMT X100
Titleist T100 5-PW: DG AMT X100
Titleist SM8 50, 54, 60: DG Tour Issue S400
Odyssey White Hot 7S 34" 

Grips Lamkin Full Cord; logo down 

Crossfield put a scathing one up on his YouTube about these yesterday. Lots of good goods. Another solid review.

Look forward to hitting these

I wouldn't' call his review scathing. He just said he thinks marketing or branding a club like this around speed foam seemed silly or unnecessary. At the end of the day, he said they can brand or market however they wise, it's a solid club and he and Dan could both easily game it.

I just think it triggers mark that TM likes to aggressively market and he probably deems it misleading, compared to Titleist who just says "our stuff = good, go try it and you'll see". However, they still heavily and aggressively market their ball line, and while they don't use buzz words... People don't understand how much cash money they pay players to use said balls. Same thing just different ways.

Just held the 760s for the first time and “dear lord have mercy on my soul” they look good from the playing position.

Yep. I finally had the opportunity to try them last week and they look damn good behind the ball. If someone doesn't like how they look from the back, I won't fault them for it. But these really need to be experienced in person.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

... This place is so perpetually entertaining. I find it soooooo amusing actual golfers care about anything other than performance and the look at address. First we have those hating the 760' because of the look of the cavity? LOL. Then we have people upset over "speed foam" and "epic" and of course "rocketballz". Is anyone, anywhere actually buying a club just because it has speed foam? Yet we have some here saying they won't buy because of speed foam. What does Crossfiield want them to cal it? Goo? I remember Shiels being upset over the name Epic, I swear you can't make this stuff up. I think most golfers, especially better players, could not care less if the driver that gives them the best numbers/performance and it looks good at address is called ... Sh!tstain.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Crossfield put a scathing one up on his YouTube about these yesterday. Lots of good goods. Another solid review.

I wouldn't' call his review scathing. He just said he thinks marketing or branding a club like this around speed foam seemed silly or unnecessary. At the end of the day, he said they can brand or market however they wise, it's a solid club and he and Dan could both easily game it.

I just think it triggers mark that TM likes to aggressively market and he probably deems it misleading, compared to Titleist who just says "our stuff = good, go try it and you'll see". However, they still heavily and aggressively market their ball line, and while they don't use buzz words... People don't understand how much cash money they pay players to use said balls. Same thing just different ways.

My statement was pure sarcasm but, depends on how it was received by the reader.

Mark hasn’t said anything bad about the 760s. He gives them due credit and fair props as Crossfield does with most every review. He states his perceptions, doesn’t pull punches, and points out the positives. He stated multiple times that he could game them and likes them.

I’ve been seeing these out and about in SD and have had a few hits myself with them

And they are as good as stated.

My statement was pure sarcasm but, depends on how it was received by the reader.

Mark hasn’t said anything bad about the 760s. He gives them due credit and fair props as Crossfield does with most every review. He states his perceptions, doesn’t pull punches, and points out the positives. He stated multiple times that he could game them and likes them.

I’ve been seeing these out and about in SD and have had a few hits myself with them

One of his better reviews of recent months which is good to see. I don't think it would have worked out had he signed with Taylormade.

A big departure for Crossfield to acknowledge that lower lofted clubs CAN have a spin loft suitable for most players. Quite impressed with them despite my initial horror upon seeing the Instagram pictures pre-release.

Have hit the irons a couple times now. The thing I like the most is the improved leading edge. The turf interaction is great especially for someone who plays on firm fairways like myself and like a thinner sole. Definitely going to have a great chance of knocking my P770s out of the bag come spring. I didn't see any gapping issues with the middle irons with the added speed foam either.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

• 2 weeks later...

One of his better reviews of recent months which is good to see. I don't think it would have worked out had he signed with Taylormade.

A big departure for Crossfield to acknowledge that lower lofted clubs CAN have a spin loft suitable for most players. Quite impressed with them despite my initial horror upon seeing the Instagram pictures pre-release.

Crossfield is always sarcastic about marketing. I ignore his comments in that regard. But his reviews as far as performance goes are pretty good, and I have seen him worry about low spin (Rogue Pro) and them acknowledge they had great stopping power even witn lower spin.

I like it when Dan joins. Kind of a regular golfer perspective.

In any case, outside of his snide comments about marketing, the bottom line is the 760 is a pretty nice alternative to the 790. They look fine to me, different on the back but it has some style to it.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Yep. I finally had the opportunity to try them last week and they look damn good behind the ball. If someone doesn't like how they look from the back, I won't fault them for it. But these really need to be experienced in person.

I kind of like the look of these irons and they feel great imho. The problem I have is the price point TM put these at. So many better options for less money. Not sure what TM was thinking here, major miss.

I kind of like the look of these irons and they feel great imho. The problem I have is the price point TM put these at. So many better options for less money. Not sure what TM was thinking here, major miss.

Same, I keep going back to Carl’s and putting them up against my 919 Tours, the Tours still come out on top in every aspect but forgiveness but for some reason I keep going back to mess around with them. Really excited for the new Apex Pro’s so I’m trying to wait

Have hit the irons a couple times now. The thing I like the most is the improved leading edge. The turf interaction is great especially for someone who plays on firm fairways like myself and like a thinner sole. Definitely going to have a great chance of knocking my P770s out of the bag come spring. I didn't see any gapping issues with the middle irons with the added speed foam either.

I'm really interested to hit them regarding the improved turf interaction!!!

Held these in my hand at the pro shop today, look way better in person, solid look at address, price is too high.

Zero reason to buy TM in a release year anymore. It'll be price dropped within the year and at huge discount by year two.

These are a 899 4-p set at best. Nothing extraordinary

Recent history would disagree with you, at least for irons in the player category. Both the P750 and P770 were two season models before being replaced by the P760 this fall. The P730 and P790 are entering their second season. Nary a huge discount to be found by year two for any of them.

Whether or not the price is worth it to an individual is an entirely different topic.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post