Discussion Thread: GolfWRX Radio (leave comments about all podcasts here)

Yes, but the sound issues are still in the podcast

I listened to The Gear Dive with SGC and the sound seemed pretty decent. Let me know what was wrong there and I will let him know. I know we had some audio issues with TG2, and we are working on getting that squared away.

Issue is just when the transition music comes on. Was really loud in the Palmer episode again.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I messaged Tursky awhile ago about the sound stuff, but have been away for a bit and just realized he left. If you need any help, shoot me a message. I used to work in recording studios and did plenty of mixes for radio stuff. There are some tricks to make it right.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

Anyone else chuckle out loud every time that Michael Williams says “These guys have the most amazing packages”?

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Hey guys, I messaged Tursky awhile ago about the sound stuff, but have been away for a bit and just realized he left. If you need any help, shoot me a message. I used to work in recording studios and did plenty of mixes for radio stuff. There are some tricks to make it right.

The chosen one has been found.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Anyone else chuckle out loud every time that Michael Williams says “These guys have the most amazing packages”?

I’ve got to be honest. I never miss an episode of TG2, Gear Dive, and Monday’s Off. 19th Hole...not so much.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

I’ve got to be honest. I never miss an episode of TG2, Gear Dive, and Monday’s Off. 19th Hole...not so much.

I listen to all four and they each offer something different (although TG2 and Monday’s Off are very similar).

If I’m being constructively critical, however, The Gear Dive is very hard to finish sometimes. The audio quality is often awful, as discussed ad nauseam. Johnny has recently become much better interviewer but needs to continue focusing on asking a question, then letting the subject answer it. Often, he keeps asking the same question in different phrasing, sometimes even offering the answer. But, like I said, he is getting much, much better and I find him affable.

Clearly, the best interviewer is Williams. He often ventures out of the gear realm but if you give 19th Hole the chance, he does a very fine job... And he can deliver the copy “These guys have the most amazing packages”, without laughing (although we may be hearing take 14?).

TG2 just isn’t there yet with the new guy, and I think them not being in the same room kills the flow. Really loved Monday’s off but its really suffering without tursky. Gear dive is great but Johnny has to stop interrupting the guest and bringing up his father or wife every show. I wish 19th hole was on its own feed so I wouldn’t even play it on accident, can’t stand it.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

TG2 just isn’t there yet with the new guy, and I think them not being in the same room kills the flow. Really loved Monday’s off but its really suffering without tursky. Gear dive is great but Johnny has to stop interrupting the guest and bringing up his father or wife every show. I wish 19th hole was on its own feed so I wouldn’t even play it on accident, can’t stand it.

I’m curious what you don’t like another 19th hole? Williams? Guests? Topics? I, obviously incorrectly, assumed that everyone viewed that as the most polished podcast.

I’m curious what you don’t like another 19th hole? Williams? Guests? Topics? I, obviously incorrectly, assumed that everyone viewed that as the most polished podcast.

I’ve said this before but I really dislike the way Williams comes across. To me it’s like he spends half the time bragging about where he’s been and what he’s done and everyone is his best friend. I also hate that he has to reset and remind us we are listening to the 19th hole like we just tuned in on drive time radio or something, very annoying on a podcast. No argument that it’s the most polished but it doesn’t fit with what I like about wrx: the forums, the sense of community and advice and shared experiences. The other pods capture that better IMO.

I’ve said this before but I really dislike the way Williams comes across. To me it’s like he spends half the time bragging about where he’s been and what he’s done and everyone is his best friend. I also hate that he has to reset and remind us we are listening to the 19th hole like we just tuned in on drive time radio or something, very annoying on a podcast. No argument that it’s the most polished but it doesn’t fit with what I like about wrx: the forums, the sense of community and advice and shared experiences. The other pods capture that better IMO.

Fair enough and I agree with your points.

There's no chance that Steve who does Mondays off with Knudson could also do TG2?

I thought they were just going to combine the pods. I prefer TG2, so it's not bad having 2 shows that are similar. Rob's definitely not Tursky, but I will give him time to get comfortable. Not being in the same room obviously does change the dynamic and potential additional daily content.

Now that Tursky is gone, how about replacing his bath house intro music on TG2?

Totally open to suggestions on that. You want to hear some different tune or no music, just jump into the podcast?

I think it would be weird without any intro music. I would try and find something that fits you and rob. Maybe try one week without any music and then try some different intro music.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

As someone who has never missed an episode of any of the podcasts (with the now exception of 19th Hole which I will touch on below) I would like to offer my 2 cents. I do fully recognize that 2 cents may be over estimating the worth. Keep in mind, I am a huge GolfWRX radio fan. Please take this as just one man's opinion. If you change nothing I would still be a loyal listener.

TG2 - Love the content and the variety. Good mix of forum thread discussion, OEM guys, etc. Yes it was better with Tursky but I enjoyed his dry sense of humor. As others have mentioned it seems that finding your stride with Rob is more challenging when the two of you are not sitting in the same room. I enjoyed the episodes when forum members called in. Always good to hear other equipment psychos chatting about their bags, testing, etc.

Monday's Off - I was terrified that when Tursky left that this would go away. Thank you Brian for keeping it going. Other than Tursky busting Steve's chops for having a day off nothing has really changed. Having grown up at a golf course I find the golf club culture entertaining with the various personalities. The pain that Steve has to go through while putting a fake smile on his face while Mrs. Havenkamp is describing her string of 3 net bogies on the back nine shot by shot is hilarious. Feel free to dive into more schmuck member stories, however I do recognize the potential risk for Steve. Always a good reminder for me not to become one.

The Gear Dive - Johnny, you have the best guests. Titans of the golf industry in my opinion. Good on you for getting these guys to come on. PLEASE stop interrupting them. I could go on with examples from just about every episode. Perhaps it's the audio quality issues, which others have pointed out but not necessarily too big of a deal for me. Maybe it makes communication more challenging. I would have loved to hear Jay expand on the shaft is a spring concept but you felt the need to chime in with your interpretation of a what the purpose of a shaft is. No offense but I would rather hear Jay. Please don't take this as hateful because it's not intended to be that way. I get excited every time a new Gear Dive episode gets posted. I am a loyal listener and will continue to be. May the magic stay with you in regards to the quality of your guests.

The 19th Hole - I have to be honest and say I have made the conscious decision not to listen anymore. Michael, I don't know your background but I feel that you try too hard to demonstrate that you are a professional broadcaster and not a schmuck who jumped in front of a mic and started talking. Personally, I don't mind the schmuck. Sometimes the cheese oozes in great quantity. One example was the Barbara Nicklaus episode. Don't quote me on specifics here but when the conversation turned to visiting or something of that nature the repeating of the catch phrase of "You had me at hello" or something similar was nauseating. Also, I don't need to be reminded in the middle of the episode of who you are and what I am listening to. Maybe it's the content as I am a club guy and the majority of your episodes cover a variety of golf related topics. I don't state this in a hateful manner. Surely there is someone out there who loves the 19th Hole and I am the weird one. It's not you, it's me.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

Also, “Tiger has to harvest his nuts.”

Ping Vault Arna

The year-end podcast was a nice finish. Looking forward to the possibility of a club building podcast. Steve doesnt have access to the forums?

Funny you should say that, Ryan Barath is now a GolfWRX contributor. Worth a follow on Instagram if you don’t already.

The year-end podcast was a nice finish. Looking forward to the possibility of a club building podcast. Steve doesn’t have access to the forums?

Funny you should say that, Ryan Barath is now a GolfWRX contributor. Worth a follow on Instagram if you don’t already.

I follow him. Started following him when I watched his first few WRX videos.

Ping Vault Arna

Any transcripts of these shows? I would prefer that, to be honest.

I second this. Like a lot of the topics but would prefer to get straight to what I want to hear about.

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* | Aldila 2KXV Blue 60-S
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 70 Stiff
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 18* | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 70 Stiff
Callaway Apex Hybrid ‘19 20* | Project X Even Flow Blue 85 Stiff
Callaway Apex ‘19 4-Iron | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Callaway Apex Pro ‘19 5-9 | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Callaway MackDaddy 4 Chrome 48*, 54*, 60* | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab Indianapolis | 33.75"
Callaway ChromeSoft X “MURPH”

I second this. Like a lot of the topics but would prefer to get straight to what I want to hear about.

You meant read about.

We hope everyone had a great Holiday and New Year! Again, thank you for all the comments and suggestions, we for sure read them all and talk about how we can improve!

We know this has been asked for since we started these podcasts, but I wouldn't hold your breath for them. Podcast were created as additional audio content and we think they are best consumed that way. Also, the amount of time and effort that goes into transcribing and hour+ long podcast is hard to justify currently.

We hope everyone had a great Holiday and New Year! Again, thank you for all the comments and suggestions, we for sure read them all and talk about how we can improve!

We know this has been asked for since we started these podcasts, but I wouldn't hold your breath for them. Podcast were created as additional audio content and we think they are best consumed that way. Also, the amount of time and effort that goes into transcribing and hour+ long podcast is hard to justify currently.

Start a fund. I’ll do all of them.

Ping Vault Arna

The Gear Dive - Johnny, you have the best guests. Titans of the golf industry in my opinion. Good on you for getting these guys to come on. PLEASE stop interrupting them. I could go on with examples from just about every episode. Perhaps it's the audio quality issues, which others have pointed out but not necessarily too big of a deal for me. Maybe it makes communication more challenging. I would have loved to hear Jay expand on the shaft is a spring concept but you felt the need to chime in with your interpretation of a what the purpose of a shaft is. No offense but I would rather hear Jay. Please don't take this as hateful because it's not intended to be that way. I get excited every time a new Gear Dive episode gets posted. I am a loyal listener and will continue to be. May the magic stay with you in regards to the quality of your guests.

He mentioned on the last episode that there will be some changes in the new year. Hopefully those changes include him talking way way way way less. On the last episode he had some guy I'd never heard of but sounded like he had an interesting story about his business but Johnny went on and on about his father and learning to become a man on the golf course or something. Sure, great message and all but people are tuning in to hear insight from golf equipment insiders, not Johnny's golf in the kingdom diatribes.

As someone who has never missed an episode of any of the podcasts (with the now exception of 19th Hole which I will touch on below) I would like to offer my 2 cents. I do fully recognize that 2 cents may be over estimating the worth. Keep in mind, I am a huge GolfWRX radio fan. Please take this as just one man's opinion. If you change nothing I would still be a loyal listener.

TG2 - Love the content and the variety. Good mix of forum thread discussion, OEM guys, etc. Yes it was better with Tursky but I enjoyed his dry sense of humor. As others have mentioned it seems that finding your stride with Rob is more challenging when the two of you are not sitting in the same room. I enjoyed the episodes when forum members called in. Always good to hear other equipment psychos chatting about their bags, testing, etc.

We love talking to the members as well, it is a great insight to who they are and how they got there. Let us know who you would want to have on the show and we can work on twisting their arms!

We love talking to the members as well, it is a great insight to who they are and how they got there. Let us know who you would want to have on the show and we can work on twisting their arms!

Tai and DavePelz4

Ping Vault Arna

Forged4Ever