Best Distance Irons for seniors

disco111

Did the obligatory search and only found a thread on 7 iron SS and there were a few references to some brands, but mostly just data reference to smash factors = SS. So now the question for those seniors that have lost serious iron distance and regained that distance. Now a little personal back round to refine choices. Age 75, 7 iron SS was averaged at 75 and that was at Dicks on their swing monitor with a new Ping 7 with an "R" steel shaft. Average carry was 138 with total at 143. As for exercise and stretching to increase SS, I'm tapped out as far as the body will comply, so whatever can help must be derived from equipment. In fact, the last 2 rounds played just this weekend, showed an even more drop in distance. Example; sitting at 152, no wind to affect the shot, hit a 6 on the button and was 20 yds short. This shot, along with others during the round, but particularly this shot, really frustrated me.

So what irons would you seniors advise?............

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a senior but I think you sound like the perfect candidate for graphite shafts in your irons. Modern graphite shafts are WAY better than they used to be and I think you'll be able to see a nice increase in clubhead speed and corresponding distance with less stress on your joints from contact as well. My dad was in a similar instance a year ago and finally switched to graphite and it seemed to bring his game back about 10 years.

For an older golfer graphite shafts really are a win win these days (I guess ignoring the incremental cost).

I'm not quite up there with you, but I'm 66 with bad knees and a swing speed that has declined in recent years. Lots of potential irons out there for you, and yes, as KParks says, take a look at graphite. It's easier on the arms and elbows, as well as likely longer. Depends on whether you want new or used, but any of the PIng Gs (Gs, G400, and older), Callaway Rogue or Rogue X (or some of the older XR irons). Cobra F Max (I think that's the name) has lighter shafts specifically designed for slower swings. XXIO makes irons for slower swingers, and a bunch of folks rave about Cleveland HB Launchers--hybrid-like irons that are for slower swingers. I have G700s and they can put the ball out there. Go to a golf shop in your area and they will also certainly have some demo clubs to compare against your current clubs, and you'll probably find a set of winners.

Not a senior but I think you sound like the perfect candidate for graphite shafts in your irons. Modern graphite shafts are WAY better than they used to be and I think you'll be able to see a nice increase in clubhead speed and corresponding distance with less stress on your joints from contact as well. My dad was in a similar instance a year ago and finally switched to graphite and it seemed to bring his game back about 10 years.

For an older golfer graphite shafts really are a win win these days (I guess ignoring the incremental cost).

Appreciate the response, but I should have offered a little more info, equipment wise. Currently play with both graphite and senior lite flex steel shafts. Neither one has helped, but they are both attached to older standard (what every that may be) lofts. I recently played with a set of Wilson D100 with "A" graphite's and was still coming up short on many shots and then got that explosive shot or 2 that just went super long. Really can't rely on sporadic shots like that to play well. Just really wondering if there are any irons that don't jump up and surprise, but rather offer predictable distances and help slower SS's.

PING G700

XXIO

Callaway Rogue

These would be the top irons for distance that I see on a daily basis. Match the right shaft and specs for your game.

PING G400 Max 

PING G400 3 wood

Still Searching for something in between

PING S55 4-PW

Vokey 50, 56, 60

Odyssey AI ONE Milled #1

Pro V1

I have a slow ss also but when I hit my graphite irons I consistently pull shots, currently use steel for accuracy: my suggestions are Cobra S3, Titleist 718 AP1 length and accuracy, and Taylormade Rocketbladez (they're not blades) = these things are really long with 85 g steel shafts

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

Ping G425 Max / Testing G430 Max 10k

Titleist u505  2 Iron /

Titleist 704.CB 3-PW Irons / Testing PXG 0211st 5 - W Irons

Titleist Wedges-S Grind /

SeeMore M7x 

I see it alot in my older golfing buddies bags but the tendency is to carry more hybrids.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I'm 69 and was fitted for regular graphite G10 13 years ago ago. While it does help elbows and shoulders it never helped me with distance I have switched to s300 and I'm hitting my 7 iron 150. Also switched to i15s it took a little practice but I don't hit those balloon shots now. So like everyone says go and hit the ones you like to look at and you may surprise yourself.

So what irons would you seniors advise?............

75 mph of clubhead speed with 7 iron is very respectable, I’d certainly take it for sure.

There are only a few optimisations that can be made to maximise iron performance from equipment changes. Given your comments on the disappointing 6 iron shots, the first port of call might be, a quick swing check up with your local golf coach. There is no offence intended here and I am not talking perfect swing, major swing change, gym work and the like, just a second set of eyes looking over the basics, to make sure you are giving yourself the best chance of consistent solid contact.

Speaking of contact, the only other way you can increase distance, is to get more out of the club for your input. This means checking the ball speed, launch angle and spin to see if there is any room for improvement. This is also a worthwhile time to find the spot in your bag where your iron carry distances compress, the point where a change to a hybrid will offer an advantage.

The usual advice here will be light weight shafts and high speed irons and you are sorted but the solution is more personal and subtle than that, for example you still need your short game and some of the distance irons don’t shine in this area. You need to identify where hybrids help and if a combo set would be worthwhile. Armed with the information from a gapping session you will be better placed to maximise any advantage an equipment change might offer by making the right combination choice.

My best equipment change this year was to drop my 6 iron for a 28 degree hybrid which give me more consistent carry distances through higher ball speed and better stopping power, due to higher flight. It hurt the ego but helped the score.

Best of luck and I hope you get something you like.

Callaway Rogue X I have a 84 year old buddy that loves them.

I demoed the Rogue X irons at our club. I was hitting them 20+ yds more and I thought these will get my distance back.

When I checked the specs, I found out the lofts are jacked +5 deg!!! No wonder the 7i was going 180yds!!!

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus

I'm 71 and been looking for more distance since I started playing just 3 years ago. Took a few lessons last year from Golftec just to make sure I had the fundamentals down and we not grooving a bad swing. I have pretty good luck with the short irons, but the long irons are a real problem for me. I've tried a number of irons and brands and just recently acquired a set of Z585's from Srixon with lofts jacked 2 degrees and UST Recoil senior flex shafts. I'm finally seeing distances that I've expected from my mid irons and long irons. Nothing amazing, but at least I'm able to get my 7 iron out in the 140 range. Most would argue that my 7 iron is really a 6 iron, but I can live with that.

I do car a 4 hybrid and will use it if I don't feel confident hitting the 5 iron.

I'll be watching this thread for suggestions.

I have had luck with G700s with graphites with my customers. Another to look at is the new Big Bertha that just came out. They are long too. ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Callaway Rogue X I have a 84 year old buddy that loves them.

I demoed the Rogue X irons at our club. I was hitting them 20+ yds more and I thought these will get my distance back.

When I checked the specs, I found out the lofts are jacked +5 deg!!! No wonder the 7i was going 180yds!!!

Yes the lofts are really strong I can hit his 7 as far as I can hit my 5... They are just so ugly to look at down at the ball LOL!

I am in the same boat as you. I would recommend Bridgestone's Tour B JGR HF1 irons. I play the previous version which is the JGR Hybrid Forged Irons. These irons made a big difference for me. They added distance, control and feel. Almost made me feel like I was 30 years younger when I use to play some very unforgiving blades. I have tried many other distance irons in the past 8 years, including Cleveland, Callaway, Cobra and Ping and for me the Bridgestone's were the best.

My dad is 68. He had best results with G400 irons and Alta CB regular shafts. He does not swing fast. G400 were 10 feet higher than most other irons he tested including p790.

Really pay attention to height. It's really important for senior golfer.

I would check out Steelhead XR, g700, g400, ap1 and Cleveland Launcher HB

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Can only advise you seek a good clubfitter, and get on a launch monitor to assist you in creating

a set of mixed clubs that will meet your personal yardage needs. A little time and knowledge will enable you to still

play and with changes make the game less frustrating. Be honest and open to suggestions from the club fitter. And get what you

need.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I have to go against conventional wisdom here. I've tried and failed numerous times to play with graphite shafts - they just don't work for me and I've tried a lot of good ones.

What does work is my Speedblades with the standard 85g steel Reg. flex shafts. Plenty of those about and I'd still recommend them - they just simply perform.

You'll lose distance as you age. Just accept it and plan your game differently. I spent hours and hours researching and trying different "solutions". There weren't any dramatic solutions. Small changes perhaps, but the distance clubs with hard faces felt and sounded horrible. Just enjoy your golf - if you're healthy enough to keep playing that's the main thing.

For me, I’ve found help in getting back some ball speed and distance in graphite shafts. But, with most I tried, I really wasn’t happy with the loss in accuracy.

For that, the best shaft I’ve found is the Fujikura Pro iron, 75g, R flex. But, I could have easily gone with the R2 (senior) flex. The distance is great and best accuracy for this old guy. Also, if you build them yourself, very easy to swing weight.

The second best shaft I found for me is the new KBS TGI and I am gaming those in PXG 0311 Gen 1 heads I put together. Very long and very forgiving combo too.

If you are younger and haven’t gone through that game suffering change, it’s really tough. I as about ready to give up golf this past year it was so frustrating.

This year, I’ve tried Accra, SteelFibers, 760 SmacWrap, etc. But, I think I’m on the right track now.

My dad is 68. He had best results with G400 irons and Alta CB regular shafts. He does not swing fast. G400 were 10 feet higher than most other irons he tested including p790.

Really pay attention to height. It's really important for senior golfer.

I would check out Steelhead XR, g700, g400, ap1 and Cleveland Launcher HB

Yep, the G400 irons with Alta CB touch the moon, I love mine. They’re also very consistent on distance, I’m more often that not pin high unless I hit a poor shot.

I have to go against conventional wisdom here. I've tried and failed numerous times to play with graphite shafts - they just don't work for me and I've tried a lot of good ones.

What does work is my Speedblades with the standard 85g steel Reg. flex shafts. Plenty of those about and I'd still recommend them - they just simply perform.

You'll lose distance as you age. Just accept it and plan your game differently. I spent hours and hours researching and trying different "solutions". There weren't any dramatic solutions. Small changes perhaps, but the distance clubs with hard faces felt and sounded horrible. Just enjoy your golf - if you're healthy enough to keep playing that's the main thing.

Yes , another suggestion , instead of tweaking or changing golf equipments ... how about playing from White ?