Taylormade Tour Issue 2016-2018 M Series Drivers....Trackman Comparison Data

TollBros

Would be interesting to see how the m4 head would stack up against my incoming g400max head!

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2016 M2 8.5 Tour Issue head is the best I've ever hit hands down

Same driver I currently play. As I've said before, M4 is more forgiving and damn close on ball speed, but I don't really mishit the driver much and I feel so comfortable with it that I'm not switching. That 8.5 16 head is going to go down as legend. It's the reason the Tour went back to BOTH cannon and CT testing on Tour issue heads.

Totally agree - I'm going to play my 8.5 16 head until it breaks. Great to know we now have access to new TI heads dialed in to our exact specs needed from JT and that the M4 is almost an equal performer. 8.5 16 heads in good shape are getting nearly impossible to find.

What is most interesting is how consistently the 2017 M2 is colder than everything else. What do you think that could be attributed to in this case? Something with the face?

Also wonder if some of the guys still playin it on Tore have hot CT heads

Anyone playing on tour has a head that has been hand picked to be close to the CT limit+tolerance.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

What is most interesting is how consistently the 2017 M2 is colder than everything else. What do you think that could be attributed to in this case? Something with the face?

I really don't know. All the heads for each tester are within just a few .001 on CT and all build specs are identical.

Would be interesting to see how the m4 head would stack up against my incoming g400max head!

I would be interested to see how an identically spec'd M4 tour head would do against that Finau max head.

Also wonder if some of the guys still playin it on Tore have hot CT heads

Pretty much every head is going to be 240-252 or so CT. The difference is about 1.5 yards of carry distance.

Cool.

Yah i obviously wasnt fit into a tour issue head but your findings were very similar to my own when i was fit at Taylormades Performance Labs.

The m4 and m3 were fantastic.

My longest drives were with m3 with 1 weight all the way forward and 1 right before the Y split. Also highest ballspeed in this setup.

The m4 was definetly higher launch and spin and more forgiving.

The m3 with weights all the way back was fantastic and the winner for me. Ever so slightly lower launch and spin then the m4 with nearly identical forgiveness. But provided about 1mph more ballspeed on good strikes.

The m3 with weights all the way back was fantastic and the winner for me. Ever so slightly lower launch and spin then the m4 with nearly identical forgiveness. But provided about 1mph more ballspeed on good strikes.

I am similar, I spent 2 months playing with he weights and settings and then ended up Upright and the weights back, perfect forgiveness and distance for me.

I can imagine the spin differences being a few hundred difference and the launch slightly more but way more forgiving.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I am similar, I spent 2 months playing with he weights and settings and then ended up Upright and the weights back, perfect forgiveness and distance for me.

I can imagine the spin differences being a few hundred difference and the launch slightly more but way more forgiving.

If you go all the way back with the M3, as you both obviously know, it increases spin and launch to a level just below the M4, with just a shade less forgiveness on miss hits. At certain speeds they are near identical and at different speeds the gap really widens, however that's a whole different thread that I definitely do NOT feel like doing. Haha

If you go all the way back with the M3, as you both obviously know, it increases spin and launch to a level just below the M4, with just a shade less forgiveness on miss hits. At certain speeds they are near identical and at different speeds the gap really widens, however that's a whole different thread that I definitely do NOT feel like doing. Haha

on average do you know the difference in spin between back and forward in the weights?

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

For me, forgiveness was equal (hit them both with my 125msi rogue silver).

M4 was longer by a significant margin. Max head was the 9*. I even tried turning it down a notch on the loft sleeve...helped, but didn't touch m4. M4 head was the 8.5.

on average do you know the difference in spin between back and forward in the weights?

Taylormade says 300-400rpm and a degree of launch, however it varies based on speed.

M4 was longer by a significant margin. Max head was the 9*. I even tried turning it down a notch on the loft sleeve...helped, but didn't touch m4. M4 head was the 8.5.

Significantly longer? What does that mean? As in you spun it too much?

Max was never within 10 yards of my 16 m2. M4 is longer than my m2.

Max was spinning up too much.

Max was probably in the mid-upper 9* of loft. It will spin more regardless. I am getting a g400max tour head at 7* of true loft with 8g of melt forward.

I'm not getting the max for top absolute distance. I don't care if it tops out around 350 when some other lower spin head could get me 360. I'm getting it because basically any strike location within an inch of center will still get 90% performance.

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Piretti Savona 

Max was probably in the mid-upper 9* of loft. It will spin more regardless. I am getting a g400max tour head at 7* of true loft with 8g of melt forward.

I'm not getting the max for top absolute distance. I don't care if it tops out around 350 when some other lower spin head could get me 360. I'm getting it because basically any strike location within an inch of center will still get 90% performance.

Hit it well.

I ended up in the m4. Not a tour head, don't need that level of specificity. The one I bought had the numbers I was after.

Happy to hear the M4 is working out for you. It's a pretty solid step forward.

That sounds like a fairway finding rocket launcher! What will be your final headweight with that hotmelt? I get fatigued just thinking about swinging that

Final head weight will be 201g and that's with a heavier 10g weight in the rear plus 6-8G of melt added. My current g400max that I ordered a month or ago from the local rep is 9.2*(lowest he said he could get) and weighs 202g with 6g of melt and the complete rear weight/screw removed(which weighed 7g total). The tour heads are significantly lighter to begin with, 10-12g in this case.

Piretti Savona 

Final head weight will be 201g and that's with a heavier 10g weight in the rear plus 6-8G of melt added. My current g400max that I ordered a month or ago from the local rep is 9.2*(lowest he said he could get) and weighs 202g with 6g of melt and the complete rear weight/screw removed(which weighed 7g total). The tour heads are significantly lighter to begin with, 10-12g in this case.

That's another nice thing about the Tour heads. You can dial them in exactly how you want them. Some of the retail stuff is either feather light or in Pings case, too heavy.

That's another nice thing about the Tour heads. You can dial them in exactly how you want them. Some of the retail stuff is either feather light or in Pings case, too heavy.

Would love to see a head shootout between that Ping Tour head and a similarly spec'd M4 head.

Would love to see a head shootout between that Ping Tour head and a similarly spec'd M4 head.

It would certainly be an interesting test which I'd be willing to do, however we don't have access to Ping Tour issue goods.

It would certainly be an interesting test which I'd be willing to do, however we don't have access to Ping Tour issue goods.

Rosco does though :D :D

I'm a bit more concerned at the moment about getting through our inventory of M3 and M4 heads. Once that's done, maybe I can arrange a fun test off company time just for giggles.

I'm a bit more concerned at the moment about getting through our inventory of M3 and M4 heads. Once that's done, maybe I can arrange a fun test off company time just for giggles.

That would be fun! I would be willing to once my local trackman contact gets up and running again.

Piretti Savona 

• 2 weeks later...