Ping Custom Order: Poor Experience

johngalt312

The clubs are indeed assembled in the USA (AZ). I just don’t understand how they keep messing up as the correct specs were sent to them from the beginning and haven’t changed.

I'll tell you one reason they keep messing up and why it is more common than the good old, made in America days....there is now, somewhat of a language barrier. Not only are their components not made in America, but neither are their employees. Take that how ever you want.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The clubs are indeed assembled in the USA (AZ). I just don't understand how they keep messing up as the correct specs were sent to them from the beginning and haven't changed.

I'll tell you one reason they keep messing up and why it is more common than the good old, made in America days....there is now, somewhat of a language barrier. Not only are their components not made in America, but neither are their employees. Take that how ever you want.

Racist. Can I take it as racist? I'm going to choose racist.

EDIT: I withdraw my comment on it being racist. I misunderstood the comment and apologize.

The clubs are indeed assembled in the USA (AZ). I just don’t understand how they keep messing up as the correct specs were sent to them from the beginning and haven’t changed.

I suggest you look up the definition of racism before implying somebody, or a post, is racist

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

The clubs are indeed assembled in the USA (AZ). I just don't understand how they keep messing up as the correct specs were sent to them from the beginning and haven't changed.

I suggest you look up the definition of racism before implying somebody, or a post, is racist

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Probably not racist, could be xenophobic.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I didn't imply. I stated.

He implied that because the workers may be foreign-born that the quality of work is inferior. He told us to take it how we will. I will take it as racist, and I'm comfortable with that assessment. If you don't see it that way, any further explanation from me isn't going to bring you any closer to seeing it my way (and I'm not trying to make anyone see it any particular way).

EDIT: As seen above and below, I misunderstood the comment in question. I apologize. I am leaving all of my comments as they were originally written because I made them and acknowledge it fully.

He implied that because the workers may be foreign-born that the quality of work is inferior. He told us to take it how we will. I will take it as racist, and I'm comfortable with that assessment. If you don't see it that way, any further explanation from me isn't going to bring you any closer to seeing it my way (and I'm not trying to make anyone see it any particular way).

Got it. To summarize, you don't understand exactly what racism is, but you're comfortable assigning people/posts as racist.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Got it. To summarize, you don't understand exactly what racism is, but you're comfortable assigning people/posts as racist.

Okay, champ. Good to have you here not explaining anything at all while still being a condescending apologist for the guy. Keep pretending that racism is narrowly defined by your personal "I share those views therefore they aren't racist" dictionary.

2018: A time when you can find yourself debating racism with a middle-aged white guy on a golf forum about customer service. What a joy.

Anyways, let's not detract from OP's thread any more. If you want to discuss this further, feel free to PM so I can get that juicy wisdom directly.

I don’t think he stated or implied inferior. He specifically stated there was a language barrier which would equate to a misunderstanding of what’s being asked to be made and what’s getting made. As someone of mixed race I didn’t take his comment as racist or xenophobic

I'd say you don't know the definition of the word, but nice try though. And if you knew anything about me and my family you'd know better anyway. Thanks for showing what you're about. We were talking golf clubs and decline in quality and or quality control.

I was talking about a language barrier, communication and the unwillingness to call someone on something or correct an issue for fear of offending someone. I see it almost every day in THIS business, only a different department. Like I said, nice try though.

Pump the brakes. He mentioned that the language barrier might be an explanation for issues with component specs. And that is a completely non-racist, logical conclusion about manufacturer spec issues.

I used to manage the purchasing department for a mid-level retailer and dealt with Chinese manufacturers on a daily basis. Even when placing multi-million dollar orders, it was nearly impossible to distinguish (let alone negotiate) the binding terms of the agreement. This is a common and significant issue for nearly every organization using Chinese manufacturing.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

Pump the brakes. He mentioned that the language barrier might be an explanation for issues with component specs. And that is a completely non-racist, logical conclusion about manufacturer spec issues.

I used to manage the purchasing department for a mid-level retailer and dealt with Chinese manufacturers on a daily basis. Even when placing multi-million dollar orders, it was nearly impossible to distinguish (let alone negotiate) the binding terms of the agreement. This is a common and significant issue for nearly every organization using Chinese manufacturing.

Brakes pumped and car put in reverse. I misunderstood the point, and I acknowledge that. Thank you for clarifying the issue.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'll slow my rush to judgement going forward.

• 4 weeks later...

Third set of Glide Forged Wedges arrived and they were finally built properly. Just also received back some loft/lie adjusted S55s and some re-shafted Ping Glide Wedges that shipped with the incorrect grips... Will have Club Champion check the swing weights on the three Glide Wedges.

What a shame. You’re a better man than me, I’d have jumped ship by now.

• 2 weeks later...

Third set of Glide Forged Wedges arrived and they were finally built properly. Just also received back some loft/lie adjusted S55s and some re-shafted Ping Glide Wedges that shipped with the incorrect grips... Will have Club Champion check the swing weights on the three Glide Wedges.

Yes, I am probably done with Ping now. I most recently ordered one i500 3 Iron exactly as follows (this is how I emailed the retailer to alleviate the chance of any confusion or errors):

-Project X 6.0 shaft

-Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G grip in white actual color (not black in color); standard grip size; standard one wrap of tape; grip logo down

-39” length (so 0.5” short)

-19* loft (so bent 1* weak)

-D1 swing weight

-59* lie angle (not sure what color code this would be)

Received the iron today and it is standard length, grip logo up, and one extra wrap of tape. I think they bent the loft as requested, but the build tag is unclear in this respect. Would have Club Champion check, but I now have to return this club to Ping so no point.

So in thread summation:

1. Took Ping two tries to build a set of i210 3-PW as ordered;

2. Took Ping three tries to build three Glide Forged Wedges as ordered;

3. Ping sent the wrong grips with the re-shafting of three wedges (swing weights may also be wrong on these three wedges - TBD); and

4. Ping just built one iron - the entire order this time - incorrectly.

How many times must I visit to FedEx to return their mistakes?

I'm not Bubba or Finau or C. Champ, but I am a guy that buys a lot of Ping products at full retail. Not in the foreseeable future.

Yes, I am probably done with Ping now. I most recently ordered one i500 3 Iron exactly as follows (this is how I emailed the retailer to alleviate the chance of any confusion or errors):

-Project X 6.0 shaft

-Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G grip in white actual color (not black in color); standard grip size; standard one wrap of tape; grip logo down

-D1 swing weight

Received the iron today and it is standard length, grip logo up, and one extra wrap of tape. I think they bent the loft as requested, but the build tag is unclear in this respect. Would have Club Champion check, but I now have to return this club to Ping so no point.

So in thread summation:

3. Ping sent the wrong grips with the re-shafting of three wedges (swing weights may also be wrong on these three wedges - TBD); and

I'm not Bubba or Finau or C. Champ, but I am a guy that buys a lot of Ping products at full retail. Not in the foreseeable future.

With that large M in your avatar, I assume you're in the mitten? You need to go to Carl's golfland. They're simply the best. They have built a few sets for me and they're spot on every single time.

I ordered some Ping Glide Stealth wedges 2.5 weeks ago and still don't have them. Here are my complaints about PING so far

1. Very few no-upcharge shaft and grip options. They charge the same for a wedge that everyone else does but if you want your specific shaft or grip in it prepare to pay up to 50% more for the club.

2. I called CS and they told me they could get to D-7(when I requested no more than D-4) with the specs I chose but was told I should request on the order to get wedge to D-4 and builder would try. After I waited over 2 weeks for order, Ping called the company I used to order and said they could do no better than D-8. I changed my requested length down by a 1/4 inch to help swingweight and now order is delayed another 2.5 weeks.

3. With Mizuno I would have received the swingweight I requested, the shafts and grips I want and had order to me no later than 5 days.

4. These wedges will be the last thing I order from Ping. Tall golfers who need longer clubs and don't want crazy high swingweights should not deal with Ping. Golfers who like to have their shaft and grip of choice without getting gouged for extra money should not deal with Ping. Golfers who like to get their product in a reasonable amount of time should not deal with PIng.

5. If these Ping wedges finally show up and I love them and play well with them then I will eat crow.

Ping rush built and overnighted the second i500 and again with errors. Wrong grip (the color this time i.e. black, not white as ordered/as was on the original erroneous iron built) and blue dot lie angle - which doesn’t make sense as if bent from 60* to 59* that’s a 1* flat [static] lie angle (and if they take into account the 0.5” shorter shaft length in their color coding - which I assume they don’t - then that would be 2* flat).

Maybe they can build the third correct? My order specs for this one single i500 iron still haven’t changed...

I ordered some Ping Glide Stealth wedges 2.5 weeks ago and still don't have them. Here are my complaints about PING so far

1. Very few no-upcharge shaft and grip options. They charge the same for a wedge that everyone else does but if you want your specific shaft or grip in it prepare to pay up to 50% more for the club.

2. I called CS and they told me they could get to D-7(when I requested no more than D-4) with the specs I chose but was told I should request on the order to get wedge to D-4 and builder would try. After I waited over 2 weeks for order, Ping called the company I used to order and said they could do no better than D-8. I changed my requested length down by a 1/4 inch to help swingweight and now order is delayed another 2.5 weeks.

3. With Mizuno I would have received the swingweight I requested, the shafts and grips I want and had order to me no later than 5 days.

4. These wedges will be the last thing I order from Ping. Tall golfers who need longer clubs and don't want crazy high swingweights should not deal with Ping. Golfers who like to have their shaft and grip of choice without getting gouged for extra money should not deal with Ping. Golfers who like to get their product in a reasonable amount of time should not deal with PIng.

5. If these Ping wedges finally show up and I love them and play well with them then I will eat crow.

And the worst thing about this is that I posted in your thread that based on my experience with Ping UK they wouldn't get close to D8. At least they finally let you know, with Ping UK they just built them and sent them to me then told me their swingweight machine was better than mine! It was only when I pointed out that I had tested every Ping club in the shop so they must have built ALL the others 4 sw lighter than specs that they took me seriously.

Never used Mizuno but the system of phoning up and being told the specs thay can build to fills me with more confidence.

-Project X 6.0 shaft

-D1 swing weight

So in thread summation:

With that large M in your avatar, I assume you're in the mitten? You need to go to Carl's golfland. They're simply the best. They have built a few sets for me and they're spot on every single time.

This sounds like solid advice, especially since it sounds like you're not exactly sure about what you're asking for, at least relative to how PING specs their clubs. Makes it hard for a company to then meet your expectations.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

-Project X 6.0 shaft

-D1 swing weight

So in thread summation:

I have previously been to Carl’s - good shop. Not that geographically close anymore. I do have Club Champion HQ nearby and have had nothing but phenomenal experiences with them - multiple times.

-Project X 6.0 shaft

-D1 swing weight

So in thread summation:

This sounds like solid advice, especially since it sounds like you're not exactly sure about what you're asking for, at least relative to how PING specs their clubs. Makes it hard for a company to then meet your expectations.

On the contrary, I know exactly what I want. I couldn’t be more exacting in my orders (less the Ping lie angle color code for that i500 3 iron that I initially didn’t bother looking up, as Ping will simply digitally bend the lie angle to whatever degree (within reason) that you tell them). Again, here was my exact order for the i500 3 iron:

“i500 3 Iron exactly as follows:

-Project X 6.0 shaft

-D1 swing weight

-59* lie angle (not sure what color code this would be [(this would be red - they had it correct on the first i500 3 iron and then wrong on second, having gone blue dot 1* upright...)])”

Nothing has changed as respects my orders - they keep redoing them to correct things that they acknowledge they did incorrectly, but then they mess up something else (i.e. a different build spec) in that process (that they had correct the first time!).

My expectations are that they build an i500 3 iron exactly as per the above, in consideration of the $24X.XX I paid for said one golf iron, and thus far in two attempts they have not done so.

You will note that I haven’t once mentioned the retailer involved here as they are simply submitting the orders as provided; they, too, seem to be at a loss as to why Ping continues erring. And they are a very large Ping retailer.

This isn’t difficult, though it sure appears to be.

Geez.

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

Man so strange

I've been buying Ping sets for years and I just email my pro and the Ping rep at the same time and I get exactly as ordered

Last set I was told weights would be off by 0.5 point and I said no worries (I get very heavy)

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I have previously (in years past) custom ordered woods, irons, wedges, and a putter from Ping, and besides from one club having had the wrong grip on it (Lamkin Crossline as opposed to Lamkin Crossline Cord), everything was built exactly to spec. Not sure why so many issues as of late. And this isn’t a thread to generally dog Ping, they make great products.