2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

WHAT'S YOUR HIDDEN GEM? Submit your favorite "hidden gem" golf courses (less than $50)

Oak Hollow GC in High Point, NC would be my (first) entry into this thread (great thread topic by the way). It's a Pete Dye design that has a lot of the unfair Dye slopes in the greens, with the normal Pete Dye risk/reward setup on several holes. I played it with some cousins during my family reunion and thought it was fantastic. We normally play Starmount Forest (I'm a ClubCorp member), Grandover, or Bryan Park (both have 36 holes and both are fine facilities), but I think I want to make Oak Hollow my preferred course when I go to visit my NC fam. For the price, it just can't be beat. I think we paid $40 on a Saturday morning (8am tee time) and it was definitely worth more than that with several holes on a large lake and excellent fairways and greens.

http://www.oakhollowgc.com/

I do really like the layout but would love if this course changed to Bermuda greens. Playing at 8am is ok but later in the day the greens are pretty beat up in the summer. But they got to keep them long and watered.

It was a pretty nice crowd out there. I felt like, due to its location and some of the guys I saw playing the course, it’s not as appreciated as it should be. You’re right that with the right type of grass for the greens, it could be a MONSTER of a great course. I still plan to play it again. It was fun and very challenging. I definitely remember many of the holes after only playing it once compared to both Bryan Park courses and both Grandover courses, both of which I can only remember a few holes between the 72.

I used to live in Greensboro, and I loved playing this course. Conditions were often a bit rough, but the bones of the layout are great. It's early Dye with a number of interesting holes, a couple blind landing areas, and some great bunkering. Holes 6 and 7 are a great par 4/par 3 combo out along the lake. The par 4 asks you how much lake you want to bite off as the boomerang fairway curls around to the green, and the par 3 asks how much you're willing to tempt the railroad timbered bunker in front of a green that slopes away. It's a great track. (Though I'll also give a lot of love to Starmount and Bryan Park, which are really good courses. Next time you're there, try Tanglewood in Winston too.)

A few of my favorites for "hidden gems" / "good value" courses:

Course: Glen Erin Golf Club

City / State: Janesville, WI

Price Range: $25-50

Description: For anyone going up to Erin Hills, Sand Valley, or Kohler this is one hell of a gem in SW Wisconsin. The course is usually in solid shape and feels like an "Erin Hills - light" test. Don't get me wrong, at the end of the day you'll know you're at Erin Hills vs Glen Erin, but the fact you can play Glen Erin 12-15x before you arrive at the cost of one round at the former is pretty special. The course is usually in very good shape with a comfortable pace of play.

banner-new-3.jpg

banner-new-2.jpg

I grew up in Janesville, unfortunately it has been years since I have been back to visit The City of Parks. I have made the trec back to WI to play both courses Whistling Straights and Blackwolf Run at the American Club, but I failed to take the additional time to venture back to my hometown and play Glenn Erin even after recommendations from friends, I now know that was foolish of me. This course has been added to my bucket list and I will make the effort to make it happen sooner rather than later. Imagine my surprise when I opened GolfWRX and read the Gem the Day was Glen Erin in Janesville WI.

• Course Name: Greystone Golf Club
  • City, State: Dickson, TN
  • Price Range: $42 weekday for 18 holes
  • Course Website: greystonegc.com
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!): This course is one of my favorites in TN. Its challenging but playable. Ive played tournaments here as a junior, as well as state open qualifiers and mini tour events. It has zoysia fairways and bent grass greens. The maintenance crew does an amazing job and it is rarely busy. It is set in a small town away from a heavily populated area. When I am in Nashville I will happily make the hour and a half drive to play it.

No-18-Greystone.jpggreystonepic2.jpg

• George Dunne National - part of the Illinois Forest Preserve golf system
  • Oak Forest, IL (about 30 miles South of downtown Chicago)
  • $49 walking on weekdays during peak season, but Fall rates are $39 w/GPS cart
  • https://georgedunne....reservegolf.com
  • Really fun tree-lined parkland layout with some interesting holes that cover rolling terrain that you don't find in many Chicago-area golf courses. Coming in at 7262 yards and 75.4/142 from the tips, Dunne offers 4 sets of tees that will provide a good test for most golfers. The course gets a lot of play, but it's always in great condition.

You sure that gem isn't cubic zirconia? GD loses its luster for me in two key areas, pace of play, and walking friendly. Unless one tees off at sunrise, rounds can be brutally long. The rangers don't give a sh*t about pace of play. I've had rounds of 5:45 and 6:10 there. After avoiding it for a few years I decided to give it another try this summer. I discovered that they now don't allow walking on weekend mornings, which is horsesh*t.

That said, the course is a tough layout with water coming into play on half the holes. There's also dense groves of trees lining many holes that are nearly impossible to hit out of.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• George Dunne National - part of the Illinois Forest Preserve golf system
  • Oak Forest, IL (about 30 miles South of downtown Chicago)
  • $49 walking on weekdays during peak season, but Fall rates are $39 w/GPS cart
  • https://georgedunne....reservegolf.com
  • Really fun tree-lined parkland layout with some interesting holes that cover rolling terrain that you don't find in many Chicago-area golf courses. Coming in at 7262 yards and 75.4/142 from the tips, Dunne offers 4 sets of tees that will provide a good test for most golfers. The course gets a lot of play, but it's always in great condition.

You sure that gem isn't cubic zirconia? GD loses its luster for me in two key areas, pace of play, and walking friendly. Unless one tees off at sunrise, rounds can be brutally long. The rangers don't give a sh*t about pace of play. I've had rounds of 5:45 and 6:10 there. After avoiding it for a few years I decided to give it another try this summer. I discovered that they now don't allow walking on weekend mornings, which is horsesh*t.

That said, the course is a tough layout with water coming into play on half the holes. There's also dense groves of trees lining many holes that are nearly impossible to hit out of.

I'll definitely concede that there's a pace issue on weekends. But I'd contend that, in order to achieve the sub-$50 criteria for this topic, playing it during the week makes the most sense. I've played weekday rounds in less than 4 hours as a single and a twosome multiple times.

And yes, it's a fairly tough course and requires some good shots, but I think it's a fun layout with nice elevation and directional changes. As for hitting out of the plentiful trees, I often just abandon those balls since there's a fair amount of poison ivy nestled in the woods.

Sharp park

Pacifica CA

Sea side MacKenzie track. Unbelievable layout. Poorly managed and maintained

$38

Mackenzie design, Trashed by the lack of maintainence. I played there a few times about 16 years ago. The bones are there, but they’ve been ravaged.

Shame on SF Parks for allowing it to happen.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Cape Arundel in Kennebunkport ME is $50 before May 18 or after October 2. I would think that after October 2, this Walter Travis course would be hidden gem. I haven't played it, but many Presidents have. That's good enough for me.

The course is well worth the price of admission. It's short, but tight and tough.

Gotta go with this old Donald Ross course in Cambridge, MA. Golf Course at Fresh Pond. It's where I played my first golf when I picked it up years ago, and every time I'm back I go and play. It can be a long round, but it's a great walk (don't ever ride this course). 9 Hole track that can be played twice.

http://www.freshpondgolf.com/rates.html

• Course Name: Lick Creek Golf Course
  • City, State: Pekin, IL
  • Price Range: $18-$30
  • Course Website: http://www.lickcreekgolfcourse.com/
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!)When I think of a hidden gem that I have played, I automatically think of Lick Creek. I was lucky enough to play a few high school tournaments at this course and it is the real deal. Bent grass fairways, a mix of open and tree lined holes, great hole shaping and it was always in good shape when I played it. It has a 3 hole stretch (5-7) that is called "The Devil's Triangle". It is owned and operated by the local park district. Totally unassuming and a great course. I wish it was closer to me

Driver: Stealth Plus 10.5* Ventus Red
Fairway: Ping G400 17* Tour AD-DI
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21* Tour AD-DI
Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 4 and 5 iron Steelfiber i95
Irons: New Level 623 CB Aerotech Steelfiber i80
Wedges: Fourteen RM-4 50*, 56* and 61*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

• Course Name: Greystone Golf Club
  • City, State: Dickson, TN
  • Price Range: $42 weekday for 18 holes
  • Course Website: greystonegc.com
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!): This course is one of my favorites in TN. Its challenging but playable. Ive played tournaments here as a junior, as well as state open qualifiers and mini tour events. It has zoysia fairways and bent grass greens. The maintenance crew does an amazing job and it is rarely busy. It is set in a small town away from a heavily populated area. When I am in Nashville I will happily make the hour and a half drive to play it.

No-18-Greystone.jpggreystonepic2.jpg

My family and I played this course a couple years ago on a golf trip and had a blast. I would say it's my second favorite in Tennessee to River Islands. It was packed that day, though. Amazing elevation change.

• A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!)When I think of a hidden gem that I have played, I automatically think of Lick Creek. I was lucky enough to play a few high school tournaments at this course and it is the real deal. Bent grass fairways, a mix of open and tree lined holes, great hole shaping and it was always in good shape when I played it. It has a 3 hole stretch (5-7) that is called "The Devil's Triangle". It is owned and operated by the local park district. Totally unassuming and a great course. I wish it was closer to me

I played the course in May 2016. In my review (http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1323086-north-central-illinois-course-recommendations-for-memorial-day/page__st__30?do=findComment&comment=13657194) I said, "Are you kidding me? What a gem. The fact that it's a muni adds to the charm. I mean, rolling tree lined holes for $37 with cart? You can't go wrong with that".

#6 - The daunting par 5 tee shot

20160527_113536s.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I played the course in May 2016. In my review (http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry13657194) I said, "Are you kidding me? What a gem. The fact that it's a muni adds to the charm. I mean, rolling tree lined holes for $37 with cart? You can't go wrong with that".

20160527_113536s.jpg

I haven't played there in 10 years and I still have nightmares about the tee shot at the 6th

• Course Name: Coyote Creek Golf Course
  • City, State: Bartonville, IL
  • Price Range: $30-$45
  • Course Website: https://golfcoyotecreek.com/
  • Description: Bruce Borland, a native of Bartonville, IL had the original plans for Coyote Creek with him on the plane that tragically crashed with him, Payne Stewart and several others. Borland was working for Nicklaus Designs at the time and I believe Nicklaus allowed several of his people to help finish the Coyote Creek project. Coyote Creek stands as the world's only Bruce Borland Signature Golf Course. All that said this course carved in the hills just outside of Peoria is definitely a hidden gem. I believe a Hooters Tour event was hosted there back in the day. Combined with Lick Creek which also gets a mention in this post, Peoria, IL can be a great and inexpensive golf destination.

I played the course in May 2016. In my review (http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry13657194) I said, "Are you kidding me? What a gem. The fact that it's a muni adds to the charm. I mean, rolling tree lined holes for $37 with cart? You can't go wrong with that".

20160527_113536s.jpg

I haven't played there in 10 years and I still have nightmares about the tee shot at the 6th

I love playing that course, it’s the best “park district” golf course I’ve played and yea the tee shot on 6 is prob one of the most challenging tee shots I’ve had. A lot of nature too, deer running across the fairway at times.

Played a few high school tournaments plus 2 years of sectionals at Lick Creek. Some of those shots are knee wobblers, think my best competitive round there was an 80 (45-35). That 3 hole stretch blew up a lot of scorecards (5/6/7? or 4/5/6?) can't remember exactly.

My senior year there I shot 77. Played the Devil's Triangle in +5 and played the other 15 holes in E. It can definitely jump up and grab you

Course Name: Hominy Hill Golf Course

City, State: Colts Neck, NJ

Price Range: $30-45 Residents (Over $50 for Non-Residents)

Course Website: http://www.hominyhill.com / https://www.monmouthcountyparks.com

​Brief Description: For a course that's part of a county park system, its meticulously maintained with fast greens but also provides penalizing rough. It's designed by Robert Trent Jones, Sr. and is just a classic beautiful parkland design. There's no "gimmicky" holes and a great course to walk. It's an absolute steal for residents but still worth the price for non-residents. It may not be a hidden gem for golfers in New Jersey, but probably is for anyone outside the state considering its location in the suburbs and away from the most popular tourist areas in the state.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

Mascoutin Golf Club

Berlin, WI

$48 18 ($69 for all 27)

https://www.mascoutingolf.com/

Mascoutin is not a long course but is very challenging. Narrow fairways, tree lined and sloping greens make it tough to put up a good score. It has 27 holes and people from all over the country come to play the blue nine. The course is always in immaculate shape and the greens roll perfect. Its only about 10 minutes from Lawsonia so makes for a perfect addition to anyone going to play the links. Course is by a small town and rarely busy. I could count on one hand the amount of times I actually had to wait to hit. Staff is always friendly and willing to help. Always have nice carts and seeing deer, bald eagles, turkeys and hawks is quite common during your round. They also have an awesome junior program for growing the game. If you are coming to Wisconsin to play, this is a true gem for under $50.

• 2 weeks later...

• Course Name: The Bluffs Golf Course
  • City, State: Vermillion SD
  • Price Range: $20-35
  • Course Website: https://www.thebluffsgc.com/
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!) It has been a few years since I golfed here, but I after playing it for one full summer it is a course I truly do miss. It is home to the University of South Dakota golf and isn't necessarily the toughest course out there, but it is fair. Scroll down to https://www.thebluffsgc.com/golf/scorecard to see the one blind bluff shot that is gorgeous. Holes 13-16 are amazing holes that make you make big choices on how to attack the green.

Hopefully a whole new setup coming soon!

Ping Anser 2 putter

The absolute best value I've ever played:

• Nevel Meade
  • Prospect, KY (Louisville with money)
  • $30-$50
  • https://nevelmeade.com/
  • This Steve Smyers design plays across gently-rolling terrain and features the nicest sub-$50 conditioning you will ever see (bentgrass tees, fairways, and greens with bluegrass rough). Shot values start high and stay there throughout the round, and the rhythm of the holes balances legit scoring opportunities with tough pars. Such a great track!

My favorite value in Texas:

• The Wilderness at Lake Jackson
  • Lake Jackson, TX
  • $32-$55 (but I've only ever played it for ~$40)
  • https://www.thewildernessgc.com/
  • This Jeff Brauer design is a RIDICULOUS sleeper with perhaps the most memorable green sites I've ever played. The par 5 7th plays to a kidney-shaped green that's nearly 70 yards long and features a few different plateaus. The long par 3 16th—one of my favorite holes anywhere—is a classic Biarritz with a 5-foot-deep swale cutting right through the middle. Honorable mention goes to the short par 4 11th which properly balances risk with reward and goads players to bite off as much as they can (a personal pet peeve is the overly-penal short 4 that makes it stupid to do anything but lay up).

Nevel Meade is outstanding. Have played it many times and enjoyed every minute. As the OP stated, a great value for the quality of this course.

• Course Name: The Bluffs Golf Course
  • City, State: Vermillion SD
  • Price Range: $20-35
  • Course Website: https://www.thebluffsgc.com/
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!) It has been a few years since I golfed here, but I after playing it for one full summer it is a course I truly do miss. It is home to the University of South Dakota golf and isn't necessarily the toughest course out there, but it is fair. Scroll down to https://www.thebluff.../golf/scorecard to see the one blind bluff shot that is gorgeous. Holes 13-16 are amazing holes that make you make big choices on how to attack the green.

It's definitely a solid track, and would agree the back 9 is definitely more exciting than the front. It's on the bluffs of the Missouri River, but no holes are along the river and you have no views of the river on the course. It's a couple of miles from the river itself. However, given the affordability, the condition usually being good to great and some great tee shots it's a gem for sure!

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Roseland Golf and Curling Club

Windsor Ontario Canada

$48 Canadian

cityofwindsor.com

Classic Donald Ross built in 1928. Very flat besides the elevated greens, but all holes surround by mature trees. Always in very good condition. Extensive renovations in the last couple of years to bring it back to the original Ross design. Hosted MacKenzie tour a few years ago. Being a muni it can get a tad slow on weekends.

When you get to the huge oak on #11 look to your left and wave, I may wave back.

Course Name: The University of Georgia Golf Course

City, State: Athens, GA

Price Range: $49 walking Mon-Thurs

Course Website: https://golfcourse.uga.edu/course-info

A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!):

This is a RTJ, Sr course design at its best. It’s LONG and tough with what seems like 18 elevated greens (I exaggerate, but there are quite a few), and the greens all have their own personality. It’s always maintained VERY well and the staff is super friendly. They have coupon deals regularly that allow golf with a cart for under $35, which makes it a complete steal. To top all of that off, you’re right next to campus and near downtown Athens, which is the perfect spot for some good eats and drinks post-round. My group made it a weekend trip where we paired it with rounds at the Georgia Club and Hamilton Mill on the way back into Atlanta. It was an awesome weekend!!!!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

• Highlands Park
  • Birmingham, AL
  • $30-$50
  • https://www.highlandparkgolf.com/home/
  • Fun course to play in Birmingham. Great views of the city on several holes. Some challenging holes but some easy short par 4's to offset. Great price to get some solid conditions and generally pure rolling bentgrass greens. For the price you will not find a better spot in Bham - especially considering proximity to everything downtown/five points area.

That looks lovely. A little better than I'm used to playing in and around the 'original' Birmingham........

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

• Quail Hollow Golf Course
  • McComb, MS
  • $30-50
  • https://www.mdwfp.co...f/quail-hollow/
  • For the price, you're not going to find a much more interesting layout in this part of the country. Up and down hills the likes of which you don't normally see in Southern Mississippi or Louisiana. I can think of at least 6 shots that play 1/2 club to a full club up or down a hill. My buddies and I usually make the hour and half drive up to play at least 2-3 times a year. The conditions can be up and down at times, but recent new management has been working hard to improve the course.

• Course Name: Stone Canyon Golf Club
  • City, State: Blue Springs, MO
  • Price Range: $49 Weekday Rate
  • Course Website: https://www.stonecanyongolfclub.com/
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!): Stone Canyon Golf Club is the only Greg Norman Signature Design Course in the Midwest. Stone Canyon opened for play in 2009 and received immediate recognition as one of the "Best New Courses You Can Play” by Golf Magazine. In 2012, Stone Canyon was once again recognized by Golf Magazine and named one of the Top 3 Best Public Courses in Missouri.
    The layout at Stone Canyon will provide guests with a truly memorable golf challenge with Norman’s signature design traits that include closely mown green surrounds, creative bunkering and landscape accents. Guests will enjoy the rolling topography and dramatic long views towards downtown Kansas City to the west. The real star is the setting, where rock walls and stone outcroppings are integrated into the layout. Most memorable is the 381-yard, par-4 3rd hole, which concludes with a green in an amphitheater of rocks.

slider-1.jpg

slider-3.jpg

God...I thought this looked familiar when I saw the pictures. Had to go to the website to confirm...I played there for a quick KC trip in a bachelor party. I very much enjoyed the layout, the challenge and the price...it left quite a positive impression on me. Glad to see I'm not alone in this opinion.

• Course Name: WildHorse Golf Club
  • City, State: Gothenburg, NE
  • Price Range: $50
  • Course Website: https://playwildhorse.com
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!): Nearly as good as Sand Hills. Less isolated just off I-80. Best greens you'll ever play--lightning fast.

+1 for Wildhorse. Great course, although not the most photogenic. Here's a link to my photo tour: https://www.flickr.c...157631982222276

8175379655_a5e70486c2_c.jpg

Wild Horse #16 from 150 yards

8175411624_d56b78e8bb_c.jpg

Wild Horse #17 - 150 yard marker

Another Hidden Gem in Nebraska is Bayside in Brule NB on Lake McConaughy

Green Fees $50

Link to photo tour: https://www.flickr.c...157631980258307

8174955570_8ebff5eccd_c.jpg

Bayside #6 approach

8174913393_6b80296d82_c.jpg

Bayside #13 par 3 205 yds

Love me some Wildhorse. Never knew golf could be played that way. You are correct...not nearly the same experience as the Sand Hills...I almost think of it as a blue collar Sand Hills and enjoyable in it's own way. It's grown a little less isolated than it used to be...I-80 has always been visible from a few holes, but I've noticed there's a few more houses that have been built just off the course....regardless, it doesn't take away from the great layout.

Bayside is another great track...not quite up to Wildhorse in my mind, but enjoyable and worth the visit. I made the mistake of walking 18 holes in the middle of summer...front 9 was fine, but the back 9 almost did me in. I didn't have enough water and think I started to feel a bit of heat exhaustion...as I leaned over to grab the ball from the hole, I would get lightheaded and a bit dizzy. The back 9 was so far from the clubhouse...I just basically decided to finish out...drank my weight in water once I was done.

Course: Dodge Riverside Golf Club

City/State: Council Bluffs, IA

Price Range: $35 weekday, $43 weekend

Description: While it's only 6,400 yards, it's still one of the best kept tracks in the area. Makes you work the ball left and right, has risk/reward decisions on almost each hole and the greens are always in great shape and fairly challenging. It's kept basically the same layout since opening in 1927, except for a reroute (only changing the start and end holes, course still flows the same it always has) when the new club house was built and a remaking of the 9th hole after the area had a flood a short while back. It's just a classic tree lined fairway course that is in a town outside a larger metropolitan area that gets drastically overlooked when people think of golf in Omaha.

Interesting...of all the courses in the Omaha metro area...I wouldn't have thought this one would be mentioned. I play a Thursday night league at Dodge Riverside and while I appreciate playing there, it just never left that impression on me. I might have expected to see....Johnny Goodman, Willow Lakes, Bent Tree, Indian Creek (might be too expensive), Woodland Hills (might be too expensive), Iron Horse (too expensive) or Quarry Oaks (too expensive), but those are course I tend to enjoy.

That's the beauty of golf...we all have different perspectives and appreciation for the various differences (courses, swings, equipment, etc) out there.

• Course Name: Royal Hylands
  • City, State: Knightstown, IN
  • Price Range: $35-$49
  • Course Website: http://www.royalhylandsgc.com/
  • A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!):
  • Royal Hylands is an extremely well kept golf course with bent grass fairways. The greens are fast and undulated. The course isn't long, but requires you to make shots and think about ball placement all over the course. It is always in great shape, the staff is amazing, and they have $1.50 beers on Fridays.

fullsize04.jpgfullsize03.jpgfullsize05.jpg