We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Masters 2020 - help please!

DrivesFourShow ·  
DrivesFourShowDrivesFourShow  88WRX Points: 37Members Posts: 88
Hi Team,

I'm organizing a Masters 2020 trip for 6-8 golfers from Australia.

Hoping you can provide any help, insight or info on the itinerary below in terms of best airports to fly in and out of, where should we drive to and from and are we playing the right golf courses.

Here is the loose plan:

Friday 3rd April:

- fly Melbourne to LA to Orlando - drive to Sawgrass.

4th & 5th:

- play the Dye & Stadium Course

6th

- drive from Sawgrass to August

7th-12th:

- MASTERS

- possibly play Sage Valley on the 8th

13th:

Drive to Atlanta

Fly Atlanta to San Fran

Drive to Pebble Beach

14th & 15th:

- play Pebble and Spyglass

16th:

- Fly to Vegas

- Play Shadow Creek

17 & 18th:

- Play Cascata & Wolf Creek.

19th:

Fly Vegas to LA.

Fly LA to Melbourne.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

D4S
Posted:

Comments

• BrianMcGBrianMcG  2376WRX Points: 657Members Posts: 2,376
    Do you have Masters tickets?

How are you getting on Shadow Creek?

That’s a lot of flying and traveling in two weeks. I’d be worried about lost luggage, clubs etc with that much flying.

Just something to consider.
    Posted:
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • AlmostscratchonceAlmostscratchonce  190WRX Points: 75Members Posts: 190
    Play Palmetto G.C. while in & around Augusta

Edit to add, even if you can pull off Sage Valley, spend a day and do Palmetto.
    Posted:
  • DrivesFourShowDrivesFourShow  88WRX Points: 37Members Posts: 88
    BrianMcG wrote:

That's a lot of flying and traveling in two weeks. I'd be worried about lost luggage, clubs etc with that much flying.

Yep, will have Masters tickets through an Australian tour group.

Plan for Shadow Creek was to stay at an MGM hotel - are they still connected?

It's going to be a jam packed schedule but coming from Australia we need to fit a lot in.
    Posted:
  • mci711mci711 Chicago 1393WRX Points: 399Members Posts: 1,393

BrianMcG wrote:

That's a lot of flying and traveling in two weeks. I'd be worried about lost luggage, clubs etc with that much flying.

Yep, will have Masters tickets through an Australian tour group.

Plan for Shadow Creek was to stay at an MGM hotel - are they still connected?

It's going to be a jam packed schedule but coming from Australia we need to fit a lot in.

Staying at MGM doesn't guarantee you a tee time, it gives you the opportunity of getting a tee time. I don't know how often people get turned down, but it does happen. Legendary trip though! If it were me, I'd fly from SF to Bandon and forget about Las vegas. But Vegas will be great too.
    Posted:
  • umassgolferumassgolfer  857WRX Points: 181Members Posts: 857
    Is Las Vegas locked in as the final stop on the trip? I only ask because your last 3 courses are not what I would put as high up a bucket list as the others, and those will be the most lasting memories. I would almost worry that Sawgrass, or certainly some of the detail from that experience, would be forgotten at the end of that two week whirlwind.

Also, not for nothing, I'd propose either 1) Kiawah Ocean Course + one of the others in the area or 2) Pinehurst #2 and new #4 or #8 over TPC Sawgrass. Experience at Ocean Course and at Pinehurst is far superior IMHO. Unless Sawgrass is a bucket list course that cannot be left off. Both Pinehurst and Kiawah are within the same approximate drive from Augusta as Sawgrass would be.
    Posted:
  • burnsniperburnsniper  608WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 608
    A couple of suggestions:

1. Fly into Charlotte from LA and play Pinehurst No.2

2. Drive to Kiawah and play Ocean Course

3. Drive to Augusta/Sage Valley

4. Drive to Sawgrass and play TPC

5. Fly from Jacksonville (or Orlando) to Chicago and play Erin Hills & Whistling Straights (need to check weather for for the season cause it’s early)

6. Fly from Chicago to San Fran and Play Pebble and other Pebble courses (note there could also be weather concerns during time of year).

7. Fly back home from San Fran

If you do want to go to Vegas I would do it before getting to San Fran as there are lots of direct flights into Vegas and then make Pebble your last stop. Also, keep in mind you typically can only get on Shadow Mon-Thur and there are no guarantees that you will get to play without a connection (make sure to check there are no major conferences in town or tournaments at Shadow that week).

IMO Shadow Creek (while an awesome course) is not worth an extra flight unless you need to experience Vegas (kinda of meh to me).
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • OutBackHackOutBackHack  1003WRX Points: 150Members Posts: 1,003

Hi Team,

I'm organizing a Masters 2020 trip for 6-8 golfers from Australia.

Hoping you can provide any help, insight or info on the itinerary below in terms of best airports to fly in and out of, where should we drive to and from and are we playing the right golf courses.

Here is the loose plan:

Friday 3rd April:

- fly Melbourne to LA to Orlando - drive to Sawgrass.

4th & 5th:

- play the Dye & Stadium Course

6th

- drive from Sawgrass to August

7th-12th:

- MASTERS

- possibly play Sage Valley on the 8th

13th:

Drive to Atlanta

Fly Atlanta to San Fran

Drive to Pebble Beach

14th & 15th:

- play Pebble and Spyglass

16th:

- Fly to Vegas

- Play Shadow Creek

17 & 18th:

- Play Cascata & Wolf Creek.

19th:

Fly Vegas to LA.

Fly LA to Melbourne.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

D4S

Pretty awesome agenda. Sounds like money is not really a concern, so why not just fly into Jacksonville?

Sawgrass doesn't really float my boat, I would spend a couple of days in Sea Island (St. Simons Island, GA) and play Seaside twice (but I'm biased, I live there)...or if anyone is a member of RM or Kingston or the like, there are some really good private options.

Consider flying to LA instead of SFO and driving to Pebble, Vegas, then back to LA. You may have an 8 hour drive to Vegas, but it will take you 6 hours to drive from Pebble, give the rental back, check in and fly, then rent another car in Vegas.

All that being said, I would skip Vegas and drive to Bandon and play there instead, then finally fly to MEL from SFO.

Message me if you need any further info....

Cheers!
    Posted:
  • NJPhilNJPhil  156WRX Points: 98Members Posts: 156
    Better option in Florida would be Streamsong, better than Sawgrass IMO.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 10° w/ HZRDUS Smoke 60
    Titleist TS2 3W 15° w/ HZRDUS Smoke 70
    Ping G30 3H 19° w/ TFC 419H
    Taylormade P790 4i-AW w/ SteelFiber i110
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 54.14F w/ SteelFiber i125
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 58.08M w/ SteelFiber i125
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Thanks everyone for your info and suggestions, it's all very useful and very much appreciated!

Keep it coming if you have anything to add...
    Posted:
  • Luke.SuttonLuke.Sutton  138WRX Points: 63ClubWRX Posts: 138
    Stick to Florida/Georgia and Cali for golf. Last year in Austin, TX our Masters event it was 35 degrees and raining. Vegas would work for weather but I’d also skip it. I’ve lived in North Carolina and wouldn’t risk Pinehurst that time of year. Arizona is an option but golf is meh.

If it were me I’d play...

Kiawah Ocean Course, Streamsong, Pebble (and Pasatiempo). You could also try to contact some private clubs, especially if any of your mates are members of a high end course. Just don’t try it on any of the Top10s... they will most likely all decline. Also, all private courses near Augusta open their doors to guests around the Masters for $$$. Don’t be afraid to call any of them.
    Posted:
    If we go to Kiawah, which course should we play alongside The Ocean Course. And is it best to stay on-course?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • babyfadebabyfade  569WRX Points: 107Members Posts: 569

If we go to Kiawah, which course should we play alongside The Ocean Course. And is it best to stay on-course?

You could stay in Charleston and play Harbour Town the other day.
    Posted:
  • WalterWalter Belgian Golfer  700WRX Points: 104Members Posts: 700
    Legendary trip in the making!!!!
    Posted:
    Countdown for Augusta!!!
  • snoilr1snoilr1  508WRX Points: 54Members Posts: 508
    babyfade wrote:

You could stay in Charleston and play Harbour Town the other day.

Just remember the PGA plays Harbor Town the week after the Masters. You’d have to see when it closes to the public, and maybe deal with Tournament infrastructure.
    Posted:
    Titleist 913 D3
    R7 Steel 16Deg 4W
    RBZ 19.5Deg 3H
    Srixon Z745 5-P
    SM6 50.12F
    SM1 54.14, 58.08
    ProPlatinum mid-slant
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DC 2021WRX Points: 1,144Members Posts: 2,021
    Fantastic trip! I'd definitely vote for Pinehurst over Sawgrass. I was in Pinehurst this past April the weekend before the Masters and the weather was excellent. Plus the resort is just a magical place. I think you'd get more bang for your buck by playing #2, #4, and #8 over the Sawgrass courses.

I am also voting for hitting up Bandon during the trip and eliminating Vegas.

Either way, there are no wrong choices.
    Posted:
    Hive Tour Titles: 2
  • burnsniperburnsniper  608WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 608
    I may be in the minority here, but TPC Sawgrass is by far my favorite public course mentioned here (although I haven’t played Pebble or Streamsong). That being said Pinehurst is one of my favorite places in the world and Kiawah is great as well (I have played the Ocean Course a bunch).
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • TerrapinGolferTerrapinGolfer  116WRX Points: 67Members Posts: 116
    I hear Sawgrass is over rated, Streamsong and bandon could be in the mix
    Posted:
  • fairways4lifefairways4life  1556WRX Points: 60Members Posts: 1,556
    ceejay81 wrote:

Fantastic trip! I'd definitely vote for Pinehurst over Sawgrass. I was in Pinehurst this past April the weekend before the Masters and the weather was excellent. Plus the resort is just a magical place. I think you'd get more bang for your buck by playing #2, #4, and #8 over the Sawgrass courses.

I am also voting for hitting up Bandon during the trip and eliminating Vegas.

Either way, there are no wrong choices.

The newly designed Pinehurst #4 just opened this year and the initial reviews are that it's phenomenal. And I know that a huge group of Aussies come to Pinehurst every year on their way to the Masters (OP - is this the same group you're a part of?)

I agree on nixing Vegas in favor of something else. Unless the group consists of a bunch of college kids.

This sounds like one heck of a trip.
    Posted:
  • Zac1321Zac1321  184WRX Points: 63Members Posts: 184
    I am HUGELY in agreement to skip vegas and add Bandon in its place
    Posted:
  • cardia10cardia10  2510WRX Points: 193Members Posts: 2,510
    How are you getting on Sage that near the Masters? Pretty big celebrity hangout/accomodation spot and a tough tee time during that time.
    Posted:
  • okie21okie21  156WRX Points: 32Members Posts: 156
    Add a plus one for Vegas. While the courses are awesome but not as good as pebble or pinehurst, the entire Vegas experience has to be lived once (at least if most of you haven't been).
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 10 deg (Oban Kiyoshi White 04)
    Ping G400 17 deg (Oban Kiyoshi White 04)
    Titleist 818 H2 19 deg (Evenflow Blue S)
    Titleist 718 AP1s 4-PW (DG AMT White S300), 2* up, 1 1/4" long
    Vokey SM7 52 deg Jet Black (DG Onyx S400)
    Vokey SM7 56 deg Jet Black (DG Wedge flex)
    Vokey SM7 60 deg Jet Black (KBS C Taper Lite S) all wedges same length as GW
    Scotty 2018 Newport 3, Custom Shop, std length and lie
    Vice Pro Plus

Advertisement
  • tideridertiderider  2553WRX Points: 1,581Members Posts: 2,553
    i'd play sawgrass ... you've plenty of courses in australia that mirror, to some extent, pinehurst and streamsong ... sawgrass is a unique design ... played it last summer and think it's a great course ... pinehurst is a greate resort and #2 and #4 are fantastic, obviously, so you can't go wrong with either ... someone mentioned erin hills and whistling straits, but i doubt they'd be open in early april ...

no idea about shadow, but vegas is about as over-rated an experience as you can get, but that's just me ...
    Posted:
  • daniel32293daniel32293  482WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 482

Is Las Vegas locked in as the final stop on the trip? I only ask because your last 3 courses are not what I would put as high up a bucket list as the others, and those will be the most lasting memories. I would almost worry that Sawgrass, or certainly some of the detail from that experience, would be forgotten at the end of that two week whirlwind.

Also, not for nothing, I'd propose either 1) Kiawah Ocean Course + one of the others in the area or 2) Pinehurst #2 and new #4 or #8 over TPC Sawgrass. Experience at Ocean Course and at Pinehurst is far superior IMHO. Unless Sawgrass is a bucket list course that cannot be left off. Both Pinehurst and Kiawah are within the same approximate drive from Augusta as Sawgrass would be.

Couldn’t agree more Sawgrass sucks compared to Kiawah and Pinehurst.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M3 8.5*- Graphite Design AD-BB 6x
    Taylormade M3 15* - Graphite Design AD-DI 7x
    Callaway Epic 20* - Fujikura Tour Atmos 9x
    Taylormade 790 2i - GD AD DI 95x
    Taylormade 790 4i - DG TI x100
    Srixon 765 5-7i - DG TI x100.
    Srixon 965 8-P - DG TI x100
    Titleist SM6 50 & 55 - DG TI x100
    Taylormade HiToe 60 - DG TI x100
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport - 35"
  • JHRJHR  4347WRX Points: 55Charter Members Posts: 4,347
    That sounds like an amazing golf trip. I hope you keep us all posted and post tons of pics!

Enjoy all that awesome golf.
    Posted:
  • Tha CarterTha Carter  24WRX Points: 22Members Posts: 24
    I agree on the suggestions to skip the Vegas leg. Especially if you plan on the whole Vegas experience, which is probably unavoidable, going to play golf every day is gonna get old.

Just add a couple of courses in Monterrey or SF area and stay there.
    Posted:
    Thanks to everyone for their contributions, the information provided was extremely useful!

Kick off steak dinner last night and boy are we excited. Given everyone's views and bucket list here is where we landed:

Day 1: Arrive San Fran from Australia.

Day 2: Drive San Fran to Pasatiempo. Golf at Pasatiempo. Drive Pasatimepo to Pebble Beach.

Day 3: Golf at Spyglass Hill.

Day 4: Golf at Pebble Beach. Drive Pebble to San Fran.

Day 5: Fly San Fran to Atlanta. Drive Atlanta to Augusta.

Day 6: MASTERS PRACTICE DAY

Day 7: MASTERS DAY 1

Day 8: MASTERS DAY 2

Day 9: MASTERS Day 3

Day 10: MASTERS Day 4

Day 11: Drive Augusta to Pinehurst

Day 12: Pinehurst #2

Day 13: Pinehurst #8

Day 14: Drive Pinehurst to Charlotte. Fly Charlotte to Jacksonville.

Day 15: Golf at TPC Sawgrass.

Day 16: Fly Jacksonville to LA.

Day 17: Fly LA to Australia.

Golf courses are pretty much locked in but my next question is, am I travelling to and from the right airports?

Thanks in advance.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • North TexasNorth Texas  4497WRX Points: 856Members Posts: 4,497

Thanks to everyone for their contributions, the information provided was extremely useful!

Kick off steak dinner last night and boy are we excited. Given everyone's views and bucket list here is where we landed:

Day 2: Drive San Fran to Pasatiempo. Golf at Pasatiempo. Drive Pasatimepo to Pebble Beach.

Golf courses are pretty much locked in but my next question is, am I travelling to and from the right airports?

Thanks in advance.

The only thing I can add is ****! You guys know how to do it. Well done!
    Posted:
  • jvincentjvincent  1049WRX Points: 480Members Posts: 1,049

Thanks in advance.

That's quite the trip. I don't even want to ask what the total cost will be.

On the airport front, Raleigh is closer to Pinehurst than Charlotte. I don't know which one has better flight options to Jacksonville.
    Posted:

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• AppAlumAppAlum  799WRX Points: 145Members Posts: 799
    jvincent wrote:

Thanks in advance.

On the airport front, Raleigh is closer to Pinehurst than Charlotte. I don't know which one has better flight options to Jacksonville.

Definitely check on Raleigh since it’s closer than CLT, but it’s likely that CLT has much better options.

jvincent wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Definitely check on Raleigh since it’s closer than CLT, but it’s likely that CLT has much better options.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • AlmostscratchonceAlmostscratchonce  190WRX Points: 75Members Posts: 190

Thanks in advance.

Well done (and nicely organized)!

I'll toss this out, and likely get blasted for it, but 5 days at the Masters is an awful lot. If I had a vote on the itinerary, I'd suggest going to the tournament on Wed, Thursday & Sunday and fit a couple of other rounds in (Palemetto/Sage Valley).
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.