Budgeting for junior Golf

GolfSRQ

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One option my son had was as a junior merit at a country club. I am not sure how widespread this option is around the country. A junior merit is a junior aged golfer (up to 21 yrs) who has full access to all golf facilities for a nominal fee ($10 per month). Our club had 36 holes and a nice short game facility. The club also had very strong junior golf program for the members which gave my son a built-in friend network and very good competition. They admitted about 8 juniors each year (4 girls and 4 boys) in the merit program. They interviewed and submitted school grades, with expectations that they would volunteer during the summer with junior golf camps. They were expected to act in a gentlemanly and lady like attitude when interacting with the adult members and staff. Many juniors (merits and members) received D1 scholarships for golf. They also competed in inter club competitions for juniors with many clubs in the Northern California Bay area that also have merit programs. This program was invaluable to get my son to the level he now competes while making very good friendships.

Thanks

One option my son had was as a junior merit at a country club. I am not sure how widespread this option is around the country. A junior merit is a junior aged golfer (up to 21 yrs) who has full access to all golf facilities for a nominal fee ($10 per month). Our club had 36 holes and a nice short game facility. The club also had very strong junior golf program for the members which gave my son a built-in friend network and very good competition. They admitted about 8 juniors each year (4 girls and 4 boys) in the merit program. They interviewed and submitted school grades, with expectations that they would volunteer during the summer with junior golf camps. They were expected to act in a gentlemanly and lady like attitude when interacting with the adult members and staff. Many juniors (merits and members) received D1 scholarships for golf. They also competed in inter club competitions for juniors with many clubs in the Northern California Bay area that also have merit programs. This program was invaluable to get my son to the level he now competes while making very good friendships.

Thanks

Wow, that sounds like a fantastic program! More clubs should offer this.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Thanks

Wow, that sounds like a fantastic program! More clubs should offer this.

Agree 100%. I actually had this discussion just last week with an older guy who advocates it. I Think about it everyday afternoon when I drive by the private club (5 minutes from my house) and the fairways are a complete ghost town. Further, they could restrict access to afternoons or something that would be non-intrusive to the memberships. Obviously the kids can’t go play Saturday mornings at 8:00.

At what age did kids become eligible for this program?

Eligibility started in 7 grade although most were in 8th grade. I know that doesn't help younger kids. They did restrict merits cannot play on weekend mornings before noon. This was not a problem as my son would spend all afternoon at the club. Afternoons during the week were also good since they get out of school at around 3. It really is a good program to grow the game.

Thanks

Castlewood?

K,

Spend more money and time on E and S and not just on B

Better ROI

IMHO

TM

TigerMom your wife?

Ummm... NO

I wouldn't even wish that upon you or Leezer

Very rude SM

JM is v nice to me

Love,

TM

tenor.gif?itemid=11156353

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

At our course kids play free 7 days a week after twilight starts. They just have to wait for an open tee time. You should see the putting green just before then, kids everywhere. I'm lucky that with my membership I can go out any time 24/7 so my son and I usually go out just ahead of the kids or we grab a couple of kids and just go out right before the official twilight time.

Our course was recently taken over by a mid level golf course management company that reports back to the city so we'll see how long that lasts.

I pay more for junior golf then I ever did when I played. There are no discounts here. Costs us $20 to play and that's after 3. A few courses have 50% but their rate are very high. I know of one course that charges like $80 a month and when walking can play for free after 2. But that's an hour a way. I keep looking for a better option but nothing so far.

do some of you guys have memberships for your juniors?

At our course kids play free 7 days a week after twilight starts. They just have to wait for an open tee time. You should see the putting green just before then, kids everywhere. I'm lucky that with my membership I can go out any time 24/7 so my son and I usually go out just ahead of the kids or we grab a couple of kids and just go out right before the official twilight time.

Our course was recently taken over by a mid level golf course management company that reports back to the city so we'll see how long that lasts.

I pay more for junior golf then I ever did when I played. There are no discounts here. Costs us $20 to play and that's after 3. A few courses have 50% but their rate are very high. I know of one course that charges like $80 a month and when walking can play for free after 2. But that's an hour a way. I keep looking for a better option but nothing so far.

do some of you guys have memberships for your juniors?

Look around and see what options there are. One of the best deals going is the young executive club Corp memberships out there.

Even if your over 40 club Corp has deals to join. Many times you can join with no initiation fees even though they will tell you it’s 5k - 10k to join if you call them With club Corp you can get into high end clubs with little initation if you know how move around clubs.

An equity club can be a good deal too and makes a lot sense but that is a another topic and you may need to put down a lot cash.

Thanks

Castlewood?

yes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Attended a Q & A session with Andrew Larkin- Asst. head coach of the UCLA golf team and he said something very interesting. Not really a revelation, but just cool to hear from someone who is very involved in recruiting.

This applies mainly to those living in California and other states that have strong junior tours ie. Florida, Tx, etc.

Anyhow, Andrew said that a top kid doesn't need to play every single tournament and more importantly he/she doesn't need to follow the ajga tour around. He mentioned a lot of kids/parents get caught up in the allure of ajga when there may be other very good local options available. This cuts down on the cost of tournament golf significantly.

Attended a Q & A session with Andrew Larkin- Asst. head coach of the UCLA golf team and he said something very interesting. Not really a revelation, but just cool to hear from someone who is very involved in recruiting.

This applies mainly to those living in California and other states that have strong junior tours ie. Florida, Tx, etc.

Anyhow, Andrew said that a top kid doesn't need to play every single tournament and more importantly he/she doesn't need to follow the ajga tour around. He mentioned a lot of kids/parents get caught up in the allure of ajga when there may be other very good local options available. This cuts down on the cost of tournament golf significantly.

Kekoa - that is correct but did he mention 9 year olds don't need to pay to go to golf camps? Probably not.

Nope, but he did say that he will be setting up junior camps on a quarterly basis now on. :to_become_senile:

Thanks

Castlewood?

yes

Oh man how I wish our local Country Club would embrace this. I will never be able to join. Its like 100K to join plus plus plus and a waiting list. Only real club on the island and equity owned by bazillionairs. Ghost town every afternoon and all summer. Goddamn waste of green grass if you ask me. (which they didnt)

Kekoa - that is correct but did he mention 9 year olds don't need to pay to go to golf camps? Probably not.

Nope, but he did say that he will be setting up junior camps on a quarterly basis now on. :to_become_senile:

The camps are fine I suppose but I'd be wary about another coach giving swing instruction once you land on a full time instructor. If I were a coach it would bother me if another coach were giving instruction based off of half a dozen swings they watched without knowing the junior golfers tendencies, etc. Paying a coach is enough of a burden... imagine having to pay them to un-teach your junior golfer something they picked up at a camp.

Just an FYI. About 10 of the 12 kids on UCLA have a dedicated full time coach. Larkin will only help kids with minor stuff or if their primary coach is unavailable. He's PGA certified, but no way in hell is he trying to make a major change. He makes it a point to shadow his kid's coaches to see exactly what they are working on and the verbiage they use to get it done. ie. some coaches are very technical and others are much more feel and visual.

Hi Guys,

Newbie here. Actually joined the forum looking for a HMT, but what a great discussion.

Personally, I feel it depends on the kid sometimes as well. Some kids are drawn to wanting more and more golf. Others push it away.

I couldn't see bringing a 8-9 yr old for advance lessons unless they were super drawn to it.

My long story. We live in VA. About 2 1/2 years ago. I took my daughter and son to a driving range to kill some time. Secretly hoping my daughter would like golf.

Son played baseball. My son (15) came back to the car with the look in his eyes. 2 years later he is a HS Varsity golfer. We are trying to balance the budget with golf as well.

We built a simulator in the garage to work on the swing at anytime.

• 2 weeks later...

PMing you some pictures now. Shows the hitting impact screen. Then the impact with the image and GC2. The final one shows our beanie chairs and club rack. All self done.

Buying the HMT for the GC2 tonight.

Very cool! This is serious investment. Just curious - how much did you spend on the entire package?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even remember anymore. :-)

I did it a lot for me. My son has a junior membership as our local semi private courses are to expensive for me.

Mats: 600

Projector: 700

Gaming PC: 700

The Golf Club- Golf Simulator software (play 140,000) 799

Impact screen- 200

GC2 (used) 4000

GC2 (CPO HMT) 4900

Misc other stuff (250)

I don't even remember anymore. :-)

I did it a lot for me. My son has a junior membership as our local semi private courses are to expensive for me.

Mats: 600

Projector: 700

Gaming PC: 700

The Golf Club- Golf Simulator software (play 140,000) 799

Impact screen- 200

GC2 (used) 4000

GC2 (CPO HMT) 4900

Misc other stuff (250)

For the price you paid you could have joined a club. I know this at home but still that wasn’t cheap.

I don't even remember anymore. :-) I did it a lot for me. My son has a junior membership as our local semi private courses are to expensive for me. Mats: 600 Projector: 700 Gaming PC: 700 The Golf Club- Golf Simulator software (play 140,000) 799 Impact screen- 200 GC2 (used) 4000 GC2 (CPO HMT) 4900 Misc other stuff (250)
For the price you paid you could have joined a club. I know this at home but still that wasn’t cheap.

Would that pay for his membership to a club that is open 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week? Where he can bring as many friends as he wants, with no greens fees? And he can play in pouring rain, lightning, or subfreezing temperatures?

Being a member of a country club is not necessarily the apex of golf enthusiasm, or talent.

I don't even remember anymore. :-) I did it a lot for me. My son has a junior membership as our local semi private courses are to expensive for me. Mats: 600 Projector: 700 Gaming PC: 700 The Golf Club- Golf Simulator software (play 140,000) 799 Impact screen- 200 GC2 (used) 4000 GC2 (CPO HMT) 4900 Misc other stuff (250)

Would that pay for his membership to a club that is open 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week? Where he can bring as many friends as he wants, with no greens fees? And he can play in pouring rain, lightning, or subfreezing temperatures?

Being a member of a country club is not necessarily the apex of golf enthusiasm, or talent.

He doesn’t have to join a county club at all but plenty of golf courses have reasonable memberships. To pay 12-15k for a simulator is not cheap.

I love tech a lot but there is no substitute for the real thing. For me half the fun of golf is being outside in the fresh air. I think most people who golf this is true.

The other issue is even the best tech is obsolete in a few years or has a tendency to break so it is not like it will last forever.

A while back I looked at simulators and launch monitors just reading about how much they cost pretty much wrote them off for me .I figure plenty of great players played without them and it is a luxury item not needed.

Here is the thing I looked into. My son's membership isn't really tied into the simulator. We got a junior rate at a Semi-private. Its 750 for all the range balls and green fees his arms can handle.

I usually play at twilight rates after work. If we can play together that's cool. I usually hunt down a hot deal as well during lunch once a week. That cures my outside fix.

That same semi-private for me is 4500. I could find some better. That's assuming I want to drive in the country's worst traffic.

The simulator is really for both of us. I'm not hell bend on him being a college player. I love playing sim golf myself. I play online with about 10 other folks from across the country using The Golf Club (TGC) I love playing outside. I can you tell it's brought my index down by 15 in about a year.

@snapback.pngtiger1873 I could have joined a club but do I own it? I own everything in my sim and only need to buy golf balls. Just picked up 20 dozen though at a golf expo. I work at home and after this message Im going out there for 18 holes with a friend.

Also:

"The other issue is even the best tech is obsolete in a few years or has a tendency to break so it is not like it will last forever.

A while back I looked at simulators and launch monitors just reading about how much they cost pretty much wrote them off for me .I figure plenty of great players played without them and it is a luxury item not needed. "

I would be curious if you actually research it or just looked at the price tag and wrote it off? That statement isn't really true. Which equipment did you research?

The Skytrak has been out for years and holding steady. The GC2 out for years and solid as a rock.

@bertga It's so true. Myself or my son and I have played 72 holes with 30 inches of snow outside. One night we played Pinehurst # 2 and St Andrews. We have played with others online from across the country in 4 ball matches using discord, it like your right there on the tee box together.

One night we played and a guy that was talking a lot of trash. DS got fired up and ran off 3 birdies in a row. We crushed the other guys in fourball. It was fun and exciting!

As you mentioned "Being a member of a country club is not necessarily the apex of golf enthusiasm, or talent." for my money I think its a waste in the area we live. There are way overpriced. Our golf months are barely from Mid March to Early November. Even a range membership is about 700. I know the CC isnt all about golf, but for me I really don't want to hang out at the clubhouse to eat or talk.

At figured at 3 years I would break even with my investment if I joined a club or semi-private. Then what would that give me? Range balls that are dimpless and the same course over and over.