Cameron 009 Worth it if a gamer?

cmrl1986

Simple question, is a Cameron 009 worth it? With brands like Byron, Piretti, Bettinardi, Machine, etc. making just as high of quality, or the 009's really worth the north of $3,000 price tag if you aren't a collector? I ask because if I were to get one, i would game it, not collect. Seems like if you actually game them, it would be the same thing as a custom DH89, just with Cameron's name on it instead of Byron. I guess what I'm asking is what makes the 009 different or better than the other offerings when it comes to playability? Or is it all in the branding?

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no difference in playability, they're nearly the same putters with different names on them. The differences are in the initial selling price and what the collectors markets will bear. 009s start higher but also resell pretty well, if you have the right options. Byrons start at a lower price point and resell ok. If you are patient, know the market, and buy used you generally should be able to get most of your money back on either if/when you decide to sell. Whether either is worth it is entirely up to you and if it suits your game.

There's no difference in playability, they're nearly the same putters with different names on them. The differences are in the initial selling price and what the collectors markets will bear. 009s start higher but also resell pretty well, if you have the right options. Byrons start at a lower price point and resell ok. If you are patient, know the market, and buy used you generally should be able to get most of your money back on either if/when you decide to sell. Whether either is worth it is entirely up to you and if it suits your game.

This makes sense, I guess I was wondering if the shape was at all different, or if it's purely the name that drives the price. From what I've heard, they're pretty much the exact same head (maybe extremely minor differences) and the price is due to the popularity of the brand. Obviously you don't see any Byron's on tour, but I'm assuming that's a pay for play issue, not a inferior equipment thing.

Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

I was tempted to get a 009 last year and held off buying one.

Artisan putters were released and now so glad I bought one. I wanted a putter I can keep and it can grow old with me!

so most definitely buy your putter that you really want!!!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Worth it? That's a matter of perspective and what you value. I've paid a lot of money over the years to try out different putters and eventually settle into the ones I really feel the most comfortable with. The irony is that my favorite putter is a flow-neck Bettinardi BB8 which was 1/3 of the price of my CT Camerons, but still relatively expensive. I own 3 CT Camerons...each of them gets played on the course. Was it worth? Sure...but I had $$ to buy and play those putters without sacrificing other things in life (excessive debt, family needs, etc).

1000% yes, do it.

Worth it to buy one? Any reasoning in this?

Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

Worth it? That's a matter of perspective and what you value. I've paid a lot of money over the years to try out different putters and eventually settle into the ones I really feel the most comfortable with. The irony is that my favorite putter is a flow-neck Bettinardi BB8 which was 1/3 of the price of my CT Camerons, but still relatively expensive. I own 3 CT Camerons...each of them gets played on the course. Was it worth? Sure...but I had $$ to buy and play those putters without sacrificing other things in life (excessive debt, family needs, etc).

I've had more than my fair share of custom Bettis, and still own 2-3, same with Piretti tours, and Byron I just love the dh89/009 headshape and Betti doesn't have it (BB0 not as close as you'd think). I'm not really interested in anything outside of that head shape. That being said, I'm trying to decide on either finally having a custom DH89 made, or searching for the right 009 in carbon. I can get the Byron for about $800 new and designed exactly how I want. I know an 009 is going to run around 3,000-3,500, but hold its value.

Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

If you can afford to use it and aren't worried about what it's worth in a few years then go for it. If you're buying it with resale in mind, maybe not so much. It's like anything, it won't putt any better than anything else, but you may enjoy using it.

The only other thing to consider is how you leave your bag. I'm fairly cavalier about leaving my bag, I'll leave it outside the proshop while I putt or have lunch etc. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with an expensive putter sitting in there.

If you can afford to use it and aren't worried about what it's worth in a few years then go for it. If you're buying it with resale in mind, maybe not so much. It's like anything, it won't putt any better than anything else, but you may enjoy using it.

The only other thing to consider is how you leave your bag. I'm fairly cavalier about leaving my bag, I'll leave it outside the proshop while I putt or have lunch etc. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with an expensive putter sitting in there.

Having a 3k putter stolen is also something I've thought about. I've had a whole bag stolen before (not sitting out, car broken into) and it's no fun whatsoever to try to recoup losses on that thru insurances. I'm a member at a pretty nice club, but play tournaments all over. This is also the reason I use a PGA Championship hc instead of any branded ones on my putters when in my bag.

Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

My putter cost $60 used.

I’m 100% certain it’s putts as well or better than any $3000 putter and I don’t have to worry about it getting stolen because I have an identical one in the corner of my living room that I practice putting with during commercials.

Of course,.....as much as I love golf I don’t give a damn about putters.

Spend your money on what makes you happy. I have Rolexes and Brietlings that I really enjoy that tell time worse than a Digital Casio, but they are pretty and they are worth more than what I paid for them so they are “worth” many thousands of dollars to me and that’s all that really matters in the end.

If you're planning to keep it forever then it doesn't matter. If you think there's at least a decent chance you'll sell it in a month or two and buy something else, I would argue buy the 009. Just be patient, know what you want as far as general design/stamping, and wait for a good deal. A custom $1000 Byron might net you 2/3 of your money back at best. If you wait for a good deal when people are broke and need money to pay bills, and don't sell it for cheap, there is a very real chance you could get all or more of your money back on the Cameron. Those that tend to get their money back on those kind of deals are those that don't NEED to sell the putter. The most important thing is not to overextend yourself or you will take a beating. I've seen it 100 times. Good luck on the greens regardless of what you decide, you really can't go wrong with either.

Callaway Paradym 12* (-1Std) Autoflex SF505X

Callaway Paradym Heavenwood

Ping G425M 20.5* Tensei Raw Org 75S

Ping G425 22* ADIZ85S

Ping G425 26* ADIZ85S

T100S 6-7 (1* weak) Aerotech FC115

T100 8-PW  Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50*  Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
SC Champ Choice Newport 2 Stability Shaft Tour

I've had more than my fair share of custom Bettis, and still own 2-3, same with Piretti tours, and Byron I just love the dh89/009 headshape and Betti doesn't have it (BB0 not as close as you'd think). I'm not really interested in anything outside of that head shape. That being said, I'm trying to decide on either finally having a custom DH89 made, or searching for the right 009 in carbon. I can get the Byron for about $800 new and designed exactly how I want. I know an 009 is going to run around 3,000-3,500, but hold its value.

If you are not stuck on the Cameron name or care what people see....it sounds like you might appreciate the custom Byron a bit more. With that said...for some of us...until we buy it and try it...we always have that itch that won't go away until you scratch it.

i think you already know the answer (009 isn't worth it unless you are looking for resale or to collect, or if you just love the brand cameron) - a byron is exactly the same materially speaking. its a carbon steel anser headshape. however there is another option. i had a newport aop (carbon scotty anser headshape) completely redone. its no secret i love this stick - its on other posts! all in cost, about $700 with finish, tungsten, sight line, stamps, face milling, putter, grip, cover - etc.

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

The difference between a 009 and other customs is that you will be able to resell the Cameron a bit quicker. It is the Rolex of the high end putter world. Carries a premium due to the name, recognizable, and there is demand in the preowned market. Other less expensive brands do the same thing, but isn't a Rolex, or in the case of putters, a Cameron.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

The difference between a 009 and other customs is that you will be able to resell the Cameron a bit quicker. It is the Rolex of the high end putter world. Carries a premium due to the name, recognizable, and there is demand in the preowned market. Other less expensive brands do the same thing, but isn't a Rolex, or in the case of putters, a Cameron.

I've actually experienced the opposite. When it comes to high end putters, the market isn't as big. Trying to convince someone to spend 3k on a putter is very hard unless they're very well off. To me, the easiest to sell are the $400-$600 range because they're usually not OTR and are more affordable.

Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

I have had putted with numerous Cameron’s over the last 20 years, I prefer the older carbons.. BUT not one of them felt or sounded like a raw 009, that putter feels and sounds better than any I have owned, atleast to me

Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

i think you already know the answer (009 isn't worth it unless you are looking for resale or to collect, or if you just love the brand cameron) - a byron is exactly the same materially speaking. its a carbon steel anser headshape. however there is another option. i had a newport aop (carbon scotty anser headshape) completely redone. its no secret i love this stick - its on other posts! all in cost, about $700 with finish, tungsten, sight line, stamps, face milling, putter, grip, cover - etc.

Beautiful poutter!

Whoever did the work for you was a true craftsman...the fit and finsih of those tungstem weights is impeccable!

If I was going to spend 3 grand I'd buy a Ping Dalehead and spend the rest on a nice set of Miura's . :) Is it "worth" it? No. But if you have the disposable income more power to you.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

That’s entirely up to you. It certainly won’t make you putt better. If it’s suited for your stroke and specs, it can’t hurt your game.

I have yet to find one that has my “perfect” stamps, finish, etc, so I’ve gone the custom routes with different makers to make my vision come alive.

Will I buy one that comes along, sure, but not to make me a better putter.

If they ever get to the sub-$2k's maybe, but beyond that I really think there's a ceiling for luxury value. Just like vehicles, sub-100k can be justified to some extent, but above that just seems to get foolish. Everyone has their "limits".

The other thing I would add is, how's your track record with taking care of your sticks? Are you already super anal about protecting them, used to babying them? I've got putters that have seen the course 3+ dozen times that haven't a single nick or scratch, just small course marks(sand wear on the sole, impact spots on sweetspot). If your best kept club looks dented and 'well used', at some point an 009 will get there too. Old habits die hard, but if you can keep it nice, you'll likely be able to cash-in on it at any time to get your investment back.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I don't want to own a golf club that needs an insurance rider, which would be sensible if you're going to put a $3k putter into play. I felt foolish for discussing it with my agent who I play golf with regularly. I bought the putter with provenance that it was used on tour but without the COA for around $650. I invested the money and time to send it in to get the COA and valued it around $1500 when I got it back. That was too rich for my blood. Enough to sting if it went missing was enough for me to worry when it was in the bag stand and I was in the bar. Nothing gets between me and relaxing in the bar! Surely I have friends and acquaintances that would scoff and replace it at $3k, that's just not me. Best wishes, OP. You can certainly save yourself some energy by thinking about it a little. Spend a month and pretend you have a $3,000.00 putter in your bag. How often would you think about it and would it be positive for negative. I was mostly playing at a high end private club with club storage. Nothing ever gets stolen. Nonetheless, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Some of us are just more anxious than others :)

If they ever get to the sub-$2k's maybe, but beyond that I really think there's a ceiling for luxury value. Just like vehicles, sub-100k can be justified to some extent, but above that just seems to get foolish. Everyone has their "limits".

The other thing I would add is, how's your track record with taking care of your sticks? Are you already super anal about protecting them, used to babying them? I've got putters that have seen the course 3+ dozen times that haven't a single nick or scratch, just small course marks(sand wear on the sole, impact spots on sweetspot). If your best kept club looks dented and 'well used', at some point an 009 will get there too. Old habits die hard, but if you can keep it nice, you'll likely be able to cash-in on it at any time to get your investment back.

Im very anal about my putters. Always use a headcover and wipe down reguarly. My current gamer (DH89 oil can) gets oiled every other week or so to keep it fresh.

Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant