Cameron 009 Worth it if a gamer?

cmrl1986

1000% yes, do it.

Worth it to buy one? Any reasoning in this?

yes, it's worth it if you want it, if you got the cash. It will never wear out and you'll have it forever. Nobody ever buys a Cameron then regrets it afterwards.

Also, sitting around worrying about something that hasn't happened yet (ie stolen putter) is bad for your health and is not a good way to live. If you love golf, you'll love a oo9. I'm a NP2 guy.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone for the comments, I think I'm going to go the custom route with another Byron. As much as I'd love to eventually own an 009, I really just can't justify spending that kind of money on a putter. I'd also be a freak about leaving it anywhere outside of my view, I don't want that stress. So, I'll get another Byron, this one custom and be happy! ""Bonus is that Byron has the head in stock and it should only take about 3 weeks to get to my door step.

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

If you have a DH89 and Buttonback already, then only you would be able to determine if an 009 is "worth" it. The DH89 is almost an identical head, so I'm not sure you'll see a tremendous amount of differences between the two, if any. The fit and finish of 009's are different than an 89 - a lot of small differences can add up in the way your perceive each putter and how comfortable you are with either model on the course.

The Buttonback is such a solid gamer and popular model so I think with your current rotation you're already good. The upside of the 009 is that if you can find a good deal on one you'll be close to breaking even when you sell it (or make/lose a few hundred).. the key is finding a good deal. Of course, if you're really concerned with resale out of the gate for a "gamer" I'd maybe suggest sticking with what you have or custom ordering something you won't be concerned with selling.

Value/affordability etc. are always going to be subjective and each person commenting will have a different perspective so I would take everyone's feedback with a grain of salt and do what's best for your budget and your game.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Nope, not worth it at all. 99% of them are probably never taken out of the house.

Find a good otr putter and use the money for something useful.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Thanks to everyone for the comments, I think I'm going to go the custom route with another Byron. As much as I'd love to eventually own an 009, I really just can't justify spending that kind of money on a putter. I'd also be a freak about leaving it anywhere outside of my view, I don't want that stress. So, I'll get another Byron, this one custom and be happy! ""Bonus is that Byron has the head in stock and it should only take about 3 weeks to get to my door step.

Great design, here are my two pesos,,,, and I apologize for being nose and by no means mean to be insulting,,,

Why would you want YOUR putter to look like some else’s I am talking about the big dot on cavity and face?

I was fortunate enough to be loaned a 009 which was almost identical (metal wise, grip, etc,etc,) to a DH89, difference NONE, except that I would have to buy what SC offered, where as Byron made MY putter the way I WANTED,,, that was 14 Byron’s ago,,,

Great design, here are my two pesos,,,, and I apologize for being nose and by no means mean to be insulting,,,

Why would you want YOUR putter to look like some else’s I am talking about the big dot on cavity and face?

I was fortunate enough to be loaned a 009 which was almost identical (metal wise, grip, etc,etc,) to a DH89, difference NONE, except that I would have to buy what SC offered, where as Byron made MY putter the way I WANTED,,, that was 14 Byron’s ago,,,

Absolutely!! I love my 009M. I have to say that I was able to have my Cameron made exactly the way I wanted. I didn't have to buy what SC offered. There are a few ways if you research it a little.

Best of luck with your Bryon, you will love it I am sure. Keep saving until you can get a 009m, you'll love it that much more. FYI, I don't think anyone can ever justify it fully... its a putter. :drinks:

* I do have mine insured..

Absolutely!! I love my 009M. I have to say that I was able to have my Cameron made exactly the way I wanted. I didn't have to buy what SC offered. There are a few ways if you research it a little.

Best of luck with your Bryon, you will love it I am sure. Keep saving until you can get a 009m, you'll love it that much more. FYI, I don't think anyone can ever justify it fully... its a putter. :drinks:

* I do have mine insured..

Beauty. Not a bad choice at all :)

Simple question, is a Cameron 009 worth it? With brands like Byron, Piretti, Bettinardi, Machine, etc. making just as high of quality, or the 009's really worth the north of $3,000 price tag if you aren't a collector? I ask because if I were to get one, i would game it, not collect. Seems like if you actually game them, it would be the same thing as a custom DH89, just with Cameron's name on it instead of Byron. I guess what I'm asking is what makes the 009 different or better than the other offerings when it comes to playability? Or is it all in the branding?

If you believe a Cameron 009 is worth it as a gamer then who really cares what anyone else believes. If you want it then get it and game it. In the same vein I could care less what people think of something I really want. I get it and enjoy it. Happy trails!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Do you have the $$$ without putting your (and family) finances in a bind?

You won't putt any better with it than an OTR that fits you.

You will look forward to putting when you have a putter you absolutely love, even if your stats stay the same, and that feeling is wonderful.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I NEEDED an 009. Not a Byron, or any other close style. I finally got a chance to roll a few with one, and forcing myself to be completely honest, I liked the feel of the Studio Stainless Newport better. After some reflection and much internal debate, I realized that my desire to have one was a combination of a love of the look (although, I love the lines on the DH-89, and several Lajosi's and Betty's that I have seen) and a lot of it was because that's what all the cool kids had.

I have many putters in the rotation, and am committing to the original Spider for the 2019 Bag is Set challenge, but I always have a SS Newport or AOP Newport on standby.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

If they ever get to the sub-$2k's maybe, but beyond that I really think there's a ceiling for luxury value. Just like vehicles, sub-100k can be justified to some extent, but above that just seems to get foolish. Everyone has their "limits".

The other thing I would add is, how's your track record with taking care of your sticks? Are you already super anal about protecting them, used to babying them? I've got putters that have seen the course 3+ dozen times that haven't a single nick or scratch, just small course marks(sand wear on the sole, impact spots on sweetspot). If your best kept club looks dented and 'well used', at some point an 009 will get there too. Old habits die hard, but if you can keep it nice, you'll likely be able to cash-in on it at any time to get your investment back.

Im very anal about my putters. Always use a headcover and wipe down reguarly. My current gamer (DH89 oil can) gets oiled every other week or so to keep it fresh.

Good Boy! :-)

Rob

I'm guilty of coveting a 009 over the years. Held off.

I'm pretty sure it and others are based on the classic Anser head? I seem to remember reading Ping let the patent lapse. As soon as it did, everyone copied that gem

(not 100% sure of that nugget?). Fast forward, and the boutique end of the 'Anser cloning' got out of hand dollars-wise, thanks to pros rolling them and great branding/

marketing. Don't get me wrong, I still think the 009 looks great (my favorite all-time is the rusty Geoff Ogilvy gamed). Upshot is, if you can afford them, go for it. I know

part of me will always toy with the idea of adding one to my set up.

Very nice putter, worth the money absolutely NOT. You are paying in this case for the branding not performance.

Is that not the case for any product? To an extent you are gettingsome value for money. The whole reason people started buying Scotty Camerons in the nineties was because they were an milled version of the cast Ping shapes. So they looked a lot nicer. I don't think any putter, short of the Two Ball or mallets in general, offer a performance advantage.

Is it worth the money? Who knows? I wear a Casio G Shock watch. My old boss had watches that were four times my annual salary, are they worth it? I think what is interesting about putters is that generally anyone can go out and buy Honma, PXG, XXIO and a few other extremely expensive irons, but I think are no better than what the big OEMs offer, whereas not many people will have a (very) expensive putter in their bag.

Personally I like the idea of something custom, but at the same time, spending that kind of money on a custom putter means you aren't likely to ever see that money again if it has your kids, or wife's name on it. Whereas at least with a 009 there are enough golfers who have heard of the brand that you may get the money back if you had to sell.

At the end of the day it is the person who owns something that should determine whether it's worth it or not ..... to them. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Is a Rolex worth it when a Seiko keeps just as good time? Is a BMW M5 worth it when a person can get a Toyota Corolla? Keep in mind I am not referring to performance but what the item is used for and yes, an M5 gets a person from point A to point B just like a Corolla will. If a person believes a GSS 009 with a custom welded neck is worth the $10K or so then it is. I have things that some might consider an over indulgence and I really don't care because I worked for it and paid for it. I am not interested in what others think, only what I feel.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Yeah I'd agree with that part. What's your budget and tendencies for those kind of things?

Could I afford a 009? Sure, but honestly I'd rather than 6 x $500 DH89 putters than 1 $3k putter. Just a personal preference. If I did buy a 009 I would absolutely use it. Regular spot in the bag. I'm not going to spend that kind of money just to look at it.

Yeah I'd agree with that part. What's your budget and tendencies for those kind of things?

Could I afford a 009? Sure, but honestly I'd rather than 6 x $500 DH89 putters than 1 $3k putter. Just a personal preference. If I did buy a 009 I would absolutely use it. Regular spot in the bag. I'm not going to spend that kind of money just to look at it.

The DH89 and those from a few other custom guys are getting a bit higher than $500 lately if you put any fancy finish or stamping but absolutely agree with you....would rather have a high quality for less $$ putter(s) and not feel I couldn't use it.

The DH89 and those from a few other custom guys are getting a bit higher than $500 lately if you put any fancy finish or stamping but absolutely agree with you....would rather have a high quality for less $$ putter(s) and not feel I couldn't use it.

Base on a DH is $500 yes

At the end of the day it is the person who owns something that should determine whether it's worth it or not ..... to them. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Is a Rolex worth it when a Seiko keeps just as good time? Is a BMW M5 worth it when a person can get a Toyota Corolla? Keep in mind I am not referring to performance but what the item is used for and yes, an M5 gets a person from point A to point B just like a Corolla will. If a person believes a GSS 009 with a custom welded neck is worth the $10K or so then it is. I have things that some might consider an over indulgence and I really don't care because I worked for it and paid for it. I am not interested in what others think, only what I feel.

this is pretty much the right anser :-) - at the end of the day it's worth it if you want it to be. glad you went with the 89, you won't be disappointed, after all that's what an 009 is, an anser shape that is customized. i have had hundreds of putters, including 009s, byrons, etc. my issue is even if i were to game the 009, i was worried about beating it up, and not getting my money back. again, that was my worry - others don't care at all. its wet in the mornings, if i miss (often) i may drop the putter, and so on. i use a mann ma66 with the stamp rusty on the face, and it gets rusty, and i dont care. byron, mann, all pretty much the same as an 009. even a newport if you send it off is almost the same - customized for 1/5 the price. there are a ton of threads about this, and hundreds of individual opinions. it all is about what YOU want to do and why. enjoy the 89!
  • Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

"I'm not going to spend that kind of money just to look at it."

100% agree. If I did pull the trigger on a 009, I'd game that thing all day long and not give a hoot about resale.

"I'm not going to spend that kind of money just to look at it."

100% agree. If I did pull the trigger on a 009, I'd game that thing all day long and not give a hoot about resale.

Sure so there are a few diff types of folks. If you had money that is great and then would use it too...even better......I wouldn't because I know my personality would not allow me to use it as I would deem it wasteful....like if I had a Ferrari I wouldn't drive it in the snow even if I could then afford a replacement.

If you get one. Use it. Right away. I’d never own one and not use it. If a BBC longneck found its way into my stocking at Christmas. I’d use it that afternoon. On freshly punched greens even. I don’t abuse. And I’ll clean and pamper after a round. But I’m not going to fear use either. My gss 009 is used. A lot. It isn’t going to be for sale. Has my initials on it. I have a pal who I know cringes when he sees me use it on soggy days. But I just look at it as it’s intended purpose.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

There are some sick 009s out there that I do drool over, but I refuse to spend that kind of money just for the Cameron name on it. I have had multiple DH89s and they are fantastic pieces and I find them more interesting... I feel like you have an 009 just to say you have an 009 and even with that, most people will not be impressed or even know what it is. At the end of the day, it's your money and choose to spend it how you want obviously but I am in the camp that says not worth the mark up.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

I said it before, but if you are semi-capable of keeping your clubs ding free, and can swing the cost, a stainless 009 will retain its value with a little love. Just think of it as a savings account of sorts, the money will always be there if you want to withdraw/sell it!

I mean, look at the money we throw at depreciating assets. Thousands of dollars are lost when we take some new wheels off the lot, but no one bats an eye at it. Buy a used vehicle and spend the extra cash on a Scotty!

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I said it before, but if you are semi-capable of keeping your clubs ding free, and can swing the cost, a stainless 009 will retain its value with a little love. Just think of it as a savings account of sorts, the money will always be there if you want to withdraw/sell it!

I mean, look at the money we throw at depreciating assets. Thousands of dollars are lost when we take some new wheels off the lot, but no one bats an eye at it. Buy a used vehicle and spend the extra cash on a Scotty!

Unless the putter or your bag gets stolen.

How many guys are carrying a rider on their home insurance? I considered it but what a PITA and additional expense.

I guess I could have gotten used to going to the car before the bar when I play public courses, but I didn't even like trusting the bag room kids to clean it when I played with one. The joy wasn't close to the concern, but it wasn't the right weight and I wasn't just absolutely "in love" with it.

Losing $3k once wasn't going to change my life, but then what do you do? Replace it. Go back to a $500 putter?