Martial Arts In A Real Street Fight

Tailgater

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread -

I resisted posting this for 3 Days. But I’m weak.

True story. And I’ll preface it by saying I’m a fan of martial arts in general.

7th grade gym class. We had this kid come to our shool from upstate New York . He immediately lets it be known he’s a black belt and to watch it. Lol. Little guy with little man syndrome. Well. We also had this huge kid who was dumb as a brick. And these two mixed like oil and water. Long story short , it came to a head In the locker room after gym class. Pushing spilled to the door the led out to the courtyard outside. We all piled out and encircled these two. Small kid takes on his “ fighting stance “ and big guy literally shoots his legs and takes him down like a mma pro. And then just wails on him. All the while small guy is making sounds and throwing up forearms to block him. With about 50% success rate. Finally big guy let’s the small guy up. We think it’s over. Big guy turns to walk away and small guy charges with some sort of a flying kick punch combo. Big guy turns around and grabs him and picks him up. And then actually deposits him into the outside trash can. And says the line that every kid there remembers to this day. My buddy and I stilll use it when someone is put in their place. He said “ take that back to your Kung-fu teacher “! Now I have no idea what type martial arts he was studying. But the fact that he generalized it to Kung-fu was literally the funniest thing I’d ever heard.

For those wondering why nobody stopped this. #1. It was the 80s. Fighting wasn’t a federal crime yet. Teachers still smoked in school etc. you know. Before the world died . #2. The little guy was the aggressor. Twice. He had it coming.

anyway. Was too on topic not to share. Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

As a kid, my next door neighbor was always off to Karate class. When I first walked into his house, I was stunned to see a literal mountain of competitive trophies, medals and awards he had racked up. So we must have been...12 at the time? He was already a 3rd degree black belt, and had a newspaper article about his accomplishments framed on his wall. One night I saw him swinging around a bo staff by himself in the back yard, and he was wielding it with tremendous power. Again, we're talking 12 years old here.

He never spoke about his training, awards, skills, or anything like that...it wasn't anyone's business. A friendly game of basketball turned not so friendly when one of the other kids in the neighborhood started pushing him around. His response? "Compromise. Can't we compromise?" When the other kid lunged at him as if to throw a punch, the next thing we knew is that he was on the ground grimacing in pain as his arm was being bent back in an awkward position.

He always spoke of "anticipation and the element of surprise". He once told me Karate taught him "discipline, self-respect and respect for others, good work ethic and self awareness". He was a very bright kid.

My point is this...against children of similar age, build and stature, those who take their training seriously will be able to use it effectively as a defensive strategy to avoid being hurt or neutralizing a threat. Those who continue to study can use it with devastating effect. I believe he stopped once we got to high school, as athletics and other things began to consume most of his time.

A family friend has been practicing karate for over 35 years now. He is diabetic and weighs about 150 or 160 at most, sinewy and bony...however...several years ago he began punching boards and trying to break stones with his knuckles to build up the bone structure in his hands.

He can kill you with a pizza box.

Coming from several martial art backgrounds, each have their own uniqueness that would definitely be hard for an untrained person to handle. I don’t think there is any style that is super effective with multiple attackers as previous have stated from an offensive standpoint. But sometimes just knowing how to neutralize a situation or attackers is just as good. Now as far as a fair fight meaning 1 on 1 I’m definitely going with Jiu Jitsu for many reasons. Most people just thing it’s rolling on mats applying chokes and joint locks which is partially true. But wrestling is incorporated, distance control, standing self defense against weapons etc. In a fight distance control is absolutely #1. If you’re a Jiu Jitsu fighter you’re either far enough away to not get struck or close enough to take the fight to the ground and subdue a person with various positions and leverage. There’s no off balance kicks, spins or punches. If an untrained person is taken down and mounted, panic sets in and tons of wasted energy happens. They open themselves up to chokes with their own clothing or jackets. Most importantly for myself I can apprehend someone safely without fear of knocking some one out cold and hitting their head. Also unlike many other martial arts, a Jiu Jitsu black belt is acquired over 8-10 years of dedicated training. There are no teenage black belts etc.

After he gets really good at karate Brazilian JJ would be a great progression

If you ever watch the early days of UFC all the karate, TKD, and other arts with beautiful Jean Claude Van Dam kicks get ko’d

I saw a lot of school yard fights back in the day. Most fights went to the ground and the guy on top always won. :)

Ping G430 10k 9 Tour Black 2.0 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

Interesting topic. FWIW, I'm 50 years old, and a 2nd Dan (2nd degree) black belt in Tae Kwon Do. My son is 23, and a 4th degree. I competed at the Ft. Worth national competition in 2015, and was a awarded a bronze medal in my age group (was proud of that). I share all this just to give a little credibility to my comments.

For a "street fight", ie; two high school kids fighting after school in the parking lot..., I have always said that I would take a trained high school wrestler, any day, over a TKD or martial arts guy. The wrestler is going to be stronger, and tie the TKD guy up, and then just beat on him.

That said, I would not discount the value of the martial arts training against an average joe. In TKD, we spar (fight) every single class. Sometimes, we spar 2 on 1 or 3 on 1. I've never had to use my TKD in a real fight, but there is no doubt that I will be much more prepared and composed than the average joe.

However, I agree with the other comments, that if the other guy is bigger and stronger than me, and gets in close and grabs onto me, I will have a tough time.

Hit em good

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

Whoever is crazier is who wins a street fight. First off, 90% of people haven't ever really been in a fight. Of those that have, even fewer have been in a fight that lasted more than ten seconds. Most people simply aren't mentally prepared. ESPECIALLY if they land a good shot and the guy just keeps coming. Panic sets in. The guy that takes a punch and just keeps coming, or lands a great shot and isn't shaken when the other guy keeps coming will win.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve seen these fights go down. Karate will certainly help in terms of self defense in the event that you find yourself in a tough spot with a guy that hasn’t had a lot of experience.

That being said, anyone good at street fighting is a little crazy, and a lot of tough (those guys that smile when their front teeth get knocked out) and you can’t learn those qualities.

That being said, if you find someone with some training, whose a little crazy and a lot of tough, it’s a bad dude lol

Whoever is crazier is who wins a street fight. First off, 90% of people haven't ever really been in a fight. Of those that have, even fewer have been in a fight that lasted more than ten seconds. Most people simply aren't mentally prepared. ESPECIALLY if they land a good shot and the guy just keeps coming. Panic sets in. The guy that takes a punch and just keeps coming, or lands a great shot and isn't shaken when the other guy keeps coming will win.

I was going to add to my response that to someone who’s trained in some way, it’s very jarring to land a good shot, and have it not phase the other person.

Fortunately, when you’ve encountered one of these people at least once, you can see this aspect about them before it’s even begun lol. A lesson learned the hard way, but hopefully only once.

To circle back on this one, the OP is asking about a child--

Well, it's an easy way for people to talk about how tough they are, so, of course it would get derailed.

For the record, my response wasn't meant to be me acting tough. I've never been in a fight over ten seconds, and I'm not crazy lol. I saw enough fights to learn who would usually win though!

• 2 months later...

The fact a 12 yr old can be a 3rd degree black belt in karate tells you how legit it is.

Bjj + boxing + wrestling would be ideal for actual fighting. Sambo, muay Thai also great. Most ufc guys have a combination of these.

You have to be real, are we doing this to get better at fighting or for "art." if your instructor is 100 lbs overweight than it's probably not legit. If you never spar, also probably not legit.

In the scraps I was in back in the day my competitive wrestling experience helped more than the Hapkido I did as an undergrad.

Learning a standard kick to the head or torso is all you need from martial arts, nothing spinning or leaping or Hollywood

As others have said if you can shoot the legs out of a guy and then stay on top of your opponent he's in real trouble

This said you need to not run into someone who is exceptionally tough w loads of fighting experience and a concrete jaw/skull

A wise man once said "there is always someone tougher"

Get the kid a quick martial arts self defence course and then three years of wrestling ... ymmv

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

If you are a good wrestler you will control the fight but not necessarily be able to “end” it.

Karate is useless other than teaching kids how to strike before getting into the techniques and styles which actually work in a real fight or competition.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

With the “stand your ground” laws that some states have now fights are going to be a touchy situation.Your more likely to get shot if you fight someone.

Not only that but I'd guess there's a lot of people with little man complexes who try to provoke in order to pull a gun and call it self defense. There was a case around here like that when I was younger, but with a knife

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

With the “stand your ground” laws that some states have now fights are going to be a touchy situation.Your more likely to get shot if you fight someone.

As an adult, I cannot think of a valid reason to get in a fight other than someone else provoking it and I'm either trying to protect myself or someone else.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I have an 8 year old son who has been practicing judo for over 3 years now. His principal Sensei participated in the Munich Olympics and another Sensei participated in Sydney, London and Beijing. Judo is taught by these gentlemen as a sport with honor, respect and discipline and is not to be taken outside the dojo.

My son is not tall for his age but is very strong and has never been aggressive. However, I have witnessed him defending himself twice and the self confidence he has knowing he is able to take down most kids larger than him is very evident. I am not sure how effective Judo would be in a street fight, but I would think that an experienced judo athlete would easily take down someone without similar experience and subdue that individual. Granted judo does not teach kicking or punching but does teach quick take downs ans submissions, which as someone previously said is what you really need in a 1 on 1 fight which is likely to be stopped quickly.

With the stand your ground laws that some states have now fights are going to be a touchy situation.Your more likely to get shot if you fight someone.

Not only that but I'd guess there's a lot of people with little man complexes who try to provoke in order to pull a gun and call it self defense. There was a case around here like that when I was younger, but with a knife

Sup, George Zimmerman...

I have an 8 year old son who has been practicing judo for over 3 years now. His principal Sensei participated in the Munich Olympics and another Sensei participated in Sydney, London and Beijing. Judo is taught by these gentlemen as a sport with honor, respect and discipline and is not to be taken outside the dojo.

My son is not tall for his age but is very strong and has never been aggressive. However, I have witnessed him defending himself twice and the self confidence he has knowing he is able to take down most kids larger than him is very evident. I am not sure how effective Judo would be in a street fight, but I would think that an experienced judo athlete would easily take down someone without similar experience and subdue that individual. Granted judo does not teach kicking or punching but does teach quick take downs ans submissions, which as someone previously said is what you really need in a 1 on 1 fight which is likely to be stopped quickly.

Judo is great, ultimately a street fight ends the moment it hits the ground. It has nothing to do with striking for the most part, there is always that 1% who can land a quick punch before you can get your hands around them, but they have to knock you out with that 1 punch. Add wrestling and or BJJ (wrestling is free in high school, BJJ is ridiculously expensive) for ranged take downs and let him pick a striking art he enjoys most.

He will be plenty confident and proficient.

Studied 3 forms of martial arts and did a bunch of fun stuff with military and shooting sports in my life. My 2 cents worth pocket lint and a chuckle.

1. For a young man, A: Confidence goes a long way, and karate will give a kid some B: Having any technique to fight that he has practiced goes a longer way C: Having taken a blow or 100 of them in practice of contact sports goes an infinite way to keep someone in the fight and not be afraid of being hit, etc.

Mind you, I have watched some real tough guys get destroyed with one blow. I have dropped a dude with a wrestling move when I was young...swept him and had him kissing his knees in 2 seconds….he was upside down and immobilized, no punches thrown. Contact sports no matter what they are make a real difference.

2. Real world is different than UFC or any martial arts form. Either you have a will to succeed and fight or you don't and it's hard to teach that to any kid. You can teach aggression and technique but at the end of the day, IMHO, the one with the will often wins.

I could ramble on but I hope the point helps. Supplement karate with football or wrestling or both. He will have a fire in the belly that will place odds in his favor. No substitute for contact.

FWIW, most people have no idea how tough the UFC guys are they watch. I kicked a dude one time at like 20% to demonstrate a technique (seriously...just a tap) and his eyes watered, which not being a jerk...which was enlightening. If your kid learns to give and TAKE a few shots, he will be a world ahead of most who have not.

Studied 3 forms of martial arts and did a bunch of fun stuff with military and shooting sports in my life. My 2 cents worth pocket lint and a chuckle.

1. For a young man, A: Confidence goes a long way, and karate will give a kid some B: Having any technique to fight that he has practiced goes a longer way C: Having taken a blow or 100 of them in practice of contact sports goes an infinite way to keep someone in the fight and not be afraid of being hit, etc.

Mind you, I have watched some real tough guys get destroyed with one blow. I have dropped a dude with a wrestling move when I was young...swept him and had him kissing his knees in 2 seconds….he was upside down and immobilized, no punches thrown. Contact sports no matter what they are make a real difference.

2. Real world is different than UFC or any martial arts form. Either you have a will to succeed and fight or you don't and it's hard to teach that to any kid. You can teach aggression and technique but at the end of the day, IMHO, the one with the will often wins.

I could ramble on but I hope the point helps. Supplement karate with football or wrestling or both. He will have a fire in the belly that will place odds in his favor. No substitute for contact.

FWIW, most people have no idea how tough the UFC guys are they watch. I kicked a dude one time at like 20% to demonstrate a technique (seriously...just a tap) and his eyes watered, which not being a jerk...which was enlightening. If your kid learns to give and TAKE a few shots, he will be a world ahead of most who have not.

ufc is way closer to a real fight than karate is. false confidence is more dangerous than having no confidence

the fact that you have children who are supposed "experts" and it's majorly about the visuals of it tell you what you need to know. karate can be good for teaching kids to respect elders, teach consistency and etc. if we're talking fighting though? waste of time. it's an important determination, why am I doing this, or why do I want my kid to do this. if you want to actually get better at fighting, need some stand up striking like boxing or muay thai and then some ground game like BJJ, wrestling, judo etc

Hakko ryu the best

Wow, haven’t heard that in a very long while.

• 2 weeks later...

I am no expert in any way but I have trained in BJJ and for my job it was the most effective. We do not cuff a combative subject standing up. Learning to take control on the ground is very effective. Put it is important to know how to block a punch or kick. Unfortunately most fights start with someone throwing a “sucker punch”. I have responded to many a bar fight where someone was seriously injured from getting hit not knowing it’s coming. To the others who have said it yes try to avoid fights at almost all costs. The old days of trading punches is over. A crazy dude with a knife or gun is going to use it. When you see a person with there guts hanging out from a stabbing you won’t forget it.