Mirror Vision app: better feedback

wmblake2000

Used this tonight, and for me its a game changer. I was able to take backswings until I could see that I was getting the correct amount of side bend, and critically I could then feel what it was like to be in that correct position. For me it felt wrong - like I was getting closer to the ground.

Not an instant fix, but in an hour I was able to cut out about half of the spine angle variation on a full swing, and an equivalent degree of my goat pleasuring problem. The key for me is being able to see real-time when I make a correct move and then being able bag that feeling.

Given the technology involved the latency is minimal to me. Its way less than a GoPro synced with an iPad.

Yep.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I've used it only once indoors and I like it so far, need to use it more to come to firmer conclusions. This is in gory detail what I did:

• Downloaded both apps at home.
  • At range, turn on wifi radios for both devices. Don't need to connect to a base station. They talk to each other.
  • Connected to smartphone app from tablet. This makes the smartphone the "eyes", ie, the camera.
  • Only did face on view as the swing piece I'm working on is better seen face on. Did slow motion work while looking at iPad.
  • There is a little lag, but not a big deal imho.
  • You can horizontally flip the view, that's an option.
  • Hit the record button from iPad, made a swing, hit the record button to stop.
  • Went to iPhone, exported movie to Photos, viewed swing in 240fps.

The big big deal, to me, is that this app allows you to see the moves you're making and then you can record a swing right away. So you can associate the feels to the swing with a minimal of delay AND replay it repeatedly in slow motion. Also the remote start record is handy.

I read in an Instagram post that the app creator is going to make it so you can do two angles at once, so two cameras, or smartphones. That, imho is huge too. So I guess it'll be two smartphones, one face on, one down the line and tablet in front of you.

Will do the annual subscription, $26. It's $3/month. This is the pricing in USD, dunno international pricing.

This isn't the first time I used something like this. I had access to the Golftec facilities awhile ago and this was exactly what the Golftec rooms had, but multiple angles, down the line and face on and it was easy to use but the video quality and playback were, I dunno, 360p and 30 fps, so not great quality but good enough. I've been wanting that for awhile for myself anywhere I go, this seems to be the ticket, although setting up two cameras will be a pain, will probably opt for the one most times.

Sounds like it definitely gives the Live View a run for its money. I can't believe how much that little device has changed my practice, absolutely love it. That instant feedback is incredible.

I can remember in the 90s when a pro here in town started doing video analysis. He'd shoot some video, then you'd go into the main office and sit in front of the TV and watch these terrible, distorted VHS clips and try to make sense of it. Pretty sure he'd draw on the screen with whiteboard marker. And the kicker was that you could leave with your tape. So cutting edge!

Yesterday I had a session where every swing I made played back at quarter speed through the Live View on my iPad, and I got basic launch info from the Mevo right next next to it on my phone. Come a long freaking way!

But how come I still suck? Lol

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

Hey everyone, my name is Toby and I’m the creator of Mirror Vision. Great seeing all the feedback and thank you chuck for the post. Please feel free to ask me any questions about the app. Even better if you tell me where I’ve gone wrong or if you have any suggestions for future development.

Originally I just built it for my own game but now that it’s a product I would love to see it develop into something that everyone could find value in. So I’m always keen to hear everyone’s thoughts on it.

One thing I’d like to add as I’ve realised a few people have asked about latency or had some connection issues. Turning the wifi on both devices to ‘non discoverable’ (grey icon not blue) in the control centre should solve this.

Cheers,

Toby

This sounds like what I do today with my iPhone and iPad... Since no app existed I simply FaceTimed myself and then was able to achieve the poor man's Live View Golf using two devices

The downsides are there is no ability to draw lines, record, etc. Are these issues that this new app solves? If so, I'll be all over it!

There are lines and you can record the video. But the lines are not recorded. You can draw the lines on the recording as well. Seems like a nice app. A bit slow and buggy at times. But I guess that is to be expected.

hey mate, could you try turn wifi on both devices to non discoverable. Wifi icon will be light grey instead of blue in the control centre. Please let me know if that helps!

Hardware evolves can't expect an app to work on legacy devices.

I never said I expected it to, I simply pointed out the claim that it works with ANY two iOS devices isn't 100% true. So the $26 yearly app becomes a $250+ venture

I'm sure some folks (like myself) were thinking "hey I have that old iPad laying around, let's give it a shot"

Hardware evolves can't expect an app to work on legacy devices.

I never said I expected it to, I simply pointed out the claim that it works with ANY two iOS devices isn't 100% true. So the $26 yearly app becomes a $250+ venture

I'm sure some folks (like myself) were thinking "hey I have that old iPad laying around, let's give it a shot"

Apple accelerates obsolescence at the point that a given device is no longer supported by the latest IOS version. Things quickly go downhill for there. To some extent it’s just the march of technology.

Still, the flip side is the creation of new features and new apps like this, so I’m in regardless of that slight irritation.

Does it have to sync with an ipad or can it be another device? I downloaded but was hesitating to upgrade to pro because I don't think I have a device to pair it to
can be any 2 iOS devices.

I’ve got an old iPhone so would that work? I can connect to WiFi at home so I believe I’d be able to use it

Does it have to sync with an ipad or can it be another device? I downloaded but was hesitating to upgrade to pro because I don't think I have a device to pair it to
can be any 2 iOS devices.

I’ve got an old iPhone so would that work? I can connect to WiFi at home so I believe I’d be able to use it

Maybe. Worth trying. Basic issue is that certain IOS versions are only supported by certain hardware, and Apple only tests apps on later versions of IOS. It may or may not work, unfortunately.

Hey everyone, my name is Toby and I’m the creator of Mirror Vision. Great seeing all the feedback and thank you chuck for the post. Please feel free to ask me any questions about the app. Even better if you tell me where I’ve gone wrong or if you have any suggestions for future development.

Originally I just built it for my own game but now that it’s a product I would love to see it develop into something that everyone could find value in. So I’m always keen to hear everyone’s thoughts on it.

One thing I’d like to add as I’ve realised a few people have asked about latency or had some connection issues. Turning the wifi on both devices to ‘non discoverable’ (grey icon not blue) in the control centre should solve this.

Cheers,

Toby

Welcome to the forum, but how can we trust you with our golf games if you have the iOS "weird character" problem on your posts? :)

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Welcome to the forum, but how can we trust you with our golf games if you have the iOS "weird character" problem on your posts? :)

That is an excellent point, and I think we should demand that Toby, aka mr IOS, fix these stupid weird characters.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Hey - WiFi non discoverable, is that something different from "turning it off"? Maybe I've miss understood all those years thinking I was turning it off!

Assume the apps connect over a point to point WiFi? Turning the discovery off helps with bandwidth?

I too was disappointed it didn't work on older devices, it would have been very neat to not have to use the wife's newer ipad. However I understand why, and cant have a pop at anyone for that.

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Hey - WiFi non discoverable, is that something different from "turning it off"? Maybe I've miss understood all those years thinking I was turning it off!

Assume the apps connect over a point to point WiFi? Turning the discovery off helps with bandwidth?

I too was disappointed it didn't work on older devices, it would have been very neat to not have to use the wife's newer ipad. However I understand why, and cant have a pop at anyone for that.

yeh so on iOS now you actually have to go into settings to turn wifi and Bluetooth off. If you just swipe the control centre down and push the wifi icon you’re actually just toggling between discoverable and non discoverable. If the device is searching for networks or they’re both connected to the same/different networks the bandwidth won’t be as strong.

Sweet will try this out. I didn't suffer from lag, but less latency is never a bad thing. Very impressed with the app from one session yesterday. Need to master placement of the video camera but really looking like a valuable worth while app.

Lots of potential

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

how does this compare to live view?

Similar except you can just use an iPhone and iPad, as well as the functionality of v1 or Hudl. Very cool!

I wish this was out before i bought my live view. Is it fair to assume that there's no reason to buy this if I have live view? Maybe if they come up with the ability to view from two angles - that's a game changer.