Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

I've convinced myself I need new wedges, most probably an M grind, lowish bounce sand wedge and the TM Hi-Toe. It must be the arrow, not the Indian. Maybe going down the route of two wide-soled PMP wedges in 55 and 59 wasn't the best choice, especially when playing bunkers with compact sand. The Hi-Toe seemed like a fun club when I demoed it but if I remember correctly, it reveals quite a bit of sole when opened up for a bunker shot. Thus an M grind might be the way to go in the sand wedge.

Only five more months until I can demo them properly outdoors. Hopefully I don't come up with too many other ideas on how to supposedly buy my way to better scores along the way.

Happy holidays to all of you!

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

One of my best friends and I always play match play straight up. He's about a 4 index and I'm carrying about a 7.5 right now. It's ironic though, the matches are usually closer than they should be because the fact that I'm essentially spotting him 3.5 strokes puts all of the pressure on him. We have been doing this for over a year now, once a month, twice a month sometimes, loser picks up the sandwiches for lunch. I beat him for the first time a few weeks back and yesterday we had our first tie. He stuck one close on the first hole and made birdie and I 3-putted for bogey, somewhere else during the round I made a double and he made a par, so he actually beat me by 2 strokes if we were playing stroke with a 79 vs. an 81. Neither of us putted very well. It was pretty cold high-30's F when we teed off and the ball wasn't going anywhere. I've come to value these little matches as much as any rounds I play. Often times we find these holes in the tee sheet where it feels like we have the whole golf course to ourselves. We almost always walk. Yesterday we played in a little under 4 hours. Somewhere during the round we were actually talking about how if you could always play in under 4 hours how much more golf folks would play. Anyways, it was a good early start to another year of golf. I'm still experimenting with my 1/2 over build and I think it's going to work out well for me. I've come to realize that I should be playing D4 in all of my clubs. It's just where I'm the most consistent. I'm going to have to order a shaft extractor to build this set as the shafts are Steelfibers. Hope everyone is well!

My favourite time on the course is definitely playing matches against one friend, we have a season-long tournament, a point for a win and half a point for a draw. He's won the past two years but next year I'll beat him. He's slightly better and more consistent than me but we play straight up. Some matches are ugly finishing 9&7 either way but usually the matches are good. We shoot the bull in between shots but when it's time to prepare for a shot, it's usually more serious than in any tournament I've played. The rounds can also be quite slow, it might take us closer to four hours (we let others through when needed) if it goes down to the wire whereas we can easily play a non-match round in 3:20 without rushing it with another friend in the group and no one in front of us.

It's a 40-minute, 60 km drive for me to our home club, there's one 9-hole track and an 18-hole club both about 10 minutes away, an 18-hole track 15 minutes away and a 36-hole place 30 km but almost 30 minutes away. The problem is all of those clubs have a lot more members (and the courses are worse) as our 36-hole club. That means there's always tee times available even for the three of us, our regular group and four hours is a long round, 4:15 is closing in on terrible. The other courses? You need to book days in advance and there's no chance of playing under 4 hours, anything under 4:30 would be good. Every time we play the other courses we can say we're more than happy we don't have to play like that day in and day out as all the waiting gets really frustrating. The worst was a 5:05 round with the group ahead quitting at the turn.

It would also be a real problem in the autumn as the sun starts setting earlier and earlier. Our "after-work season" is three weeks longer due to being able to play our rounds an hour faster than in other places. Three weeks is a lot in a seven-month season.

Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

A very Merry Christmas to each and all of of you and yours.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

BIG STU, Ninja, anyone have an opinion about something...

I've been considering building a half inch over standard set. I like heavier swing weight and think it will close the gap to my 5 hybrid better. Is there anything I'm overlooking here?!? That seems like a ridiculous question, but I built one seven iron with an old 6 iron shaft with no slug and I like the feel. I'm thinking of just building the whole set straight in and wherever the swing weight ends up so be it.

What you did on the 7 iron is called soft tipping and makes the head kick a little more. I am a big proponent of that. As far as exact swing weights on my clubs for myself I never use my machine. I do it all by feel. Recently I have been experimenting with a older pristine set of KZG Forged CBs with Swing Science 400 shafts which are 90 gram. I had built those clubs for my running partner Bear 2 years ago. He had showed up back from NY with those irons and the shafts. Him being the club ho he is played them one time and in the back bedroom they went. Recently with my back problems he had suggested I pull those shafts and put them in my 2013 Callys. I hit the KZGs on a whim and loved them. They are long as heck but workable. The lofts are the same as what I have my vintage Mac blades set at based on a 47* PW. For my feel they balanced out perfectly. Had to use some lead tape on the PW to get it a little heavier for me and some in the 4 and 5 irons. Now I am experimenting with a Gap Wedge because that PW is so hot I can not tone it down. I love those irons and have done a lot of research on them with help from my fellow WRXer and pal DJaid. They are Kyoei forged and that explains the great feel. I have only managed one round in the last month due to rain. Actually only got 13 holes in but I was -1 after 13 holes . I was throwing darts with those things. I really picked up distance without trying and my back does not hurt. Maybe I can get a weekend that is dry soon------ But hey guys Merry Christmas

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I guess the powers that be, realized that I re-registered and converted my lefty account back to my Matt J account. No real mention of it in the PM's other than to make me acknowledge the old warning from last time. I guess it is wise not to comment too much about moderation considering the collective track record of the Outlaws :)

Exciting news! Just purchased tickets to visit Scotland and play golf. I started a thread about it over in the travel section.

I'm still experimenting with the shafts and builds, but weather has been cold and wet, so I'm taking a little break from testing. Also, I have to buy a shaft extractor for pulling these Steelfibers. Some were previous pulls and I'm degrading them doing my "redneck engineering" way. I need something to exert force while I exert heat to make sure I'm pulling them as soon as the epoxy breaks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey MJ, that Scotland trip sounds great.

As to myself and golf I haven't been playing much lately. LOL I'm too obsessed with playing Red Dead Redemption 2. But am going to Bandon on Sunday.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Don't be too surprised Confessioners, but there will be a tiny 2 man meetup in the near future! Details will follow.

Damn!! Would love to be out on the left coast ---uggh West Coast and play with you guys--- I could see it would be a million laughs probably could not play worth a hoot for laughing

Don't be too surprised Confessioners, but there will be a tiny 2 man meetup in the near future! Details will follow.

Damn!! Would love to be out on the left coast ---uggh West Coast and play with you guys--- I could see it would be a million laughs probably could not play worth a hoot for laughing

Maestro STU it would be a true honor and hoot to play with you. I really hope that day will come sometime. Note that I do get out to NC every now and then.

And OMFG if the golf isn't just perfect right now out here at Bandon. It's the middle of January and today it was 60F, clear blue skies, and at most a 5mph wind. I don't know if the weather could have been better. And the course, Pacific Dunes (https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/golf/golf-courses/pacific-dunes) was just fan freaking tastic. I would share pics but I confess my WRX storage limit is maxed out.

Registered Bladeocrat

The weather was sublime, and we certainly shared some laughs! We would have loved to have had you Big Stu.

Yes, I certainly could have used his wisdom and watched his mastery in person on hitting it clean off tight lies.

'twas a great day.

Registered Bladeocrat

WAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZUP Guys!!!

Sorry I've been out for a while, been working A LOT. Full time day job, range 4 nights a week, one drumming gig a week, then golf on the weekend!

Been making some good progress with my game, and I'm gonna be playing the Philippine Tour Q School next month. I feel ready, and no matter the outcome at least I'll learn something and gain more experience. I'll keep you all posted, I leave in about 31 days or something.

Grabbed a ping g max driver, gave it a whirl this past weekend and holy smokes this thing is pretty darn good. But the best club I've added in recent times is a driving iron, stupid easy to hit and I can get it out there close to 300 with roll. Its a weapon hahaha.

Hope everyone is well! Happy New Year and wishing you all a GREAT 2019!!

Palauan Hamboogler it's really great to hear from you and freaking awesome you are going to PI Q school! And LMAO I swear yesterday playing Bandon Trails with Matt J, I was asking about you and was hoping that you didn't fall off the wagon or anything because I thought you disappeared for good.

Oh and FYI my baby blade 2i is the perfect driving iron. LOL mine only goes 200 yds, though. 300 yards...WTF!!!

Registered Bladeocrat

Hammer Man good to hear from you---- that is what it takes to succeed keeping that nose to the grindstone. 300 with the driving iron Wish I could hit a driver 300 yards. Let us know how the Q school goes we are really pulling for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm joining you guys wondering how the heck can someone hit a driving iron 300 yards. Good luck with the Q School Hammer!

It's around -25ºC here at the moment and while I've enjoyed the winter in all of its beauty, the golf itch is starting to come back. Just got to keep skiing as the perfect full-body workout and do some stretching to improve mobility until April.

sOROqyf.jpg

I'm joining you guys wondering how the heck can someone hit a driving iron 300 yards. Good luck with the Q School Hammer!

It's around -25ºC here at the moment and while I've enjoyed the winter in all of its beauty, the golf itch is starting to come back. Just got to keep skiing as the perfect full-body workout and do some stretching to improve mobility until April.

sOROqyf.jpg

Have you seen Palauan Hamhocks on video? Dude has arms like a python. That's why he can bang a driving iron 300.

Dang that pic is beautiful but also looks cold as f**k!

Registered Bladeocrat

I can't remember seeing any of his videos, I need to go look for them.

These temps really are too cold. You can manage it with proper clothing, which can make even the colder temps enjoyable though. That being said, I prefer a nice -5 to -10°C (23-14F) weather and going below 0°F really starts to affect things.

sOROqyf.jpg

Have you seen Palauan Hamhocks on video? Dude has arms like a python. That's why he can bang a driving iron 300.

Dang that pic is beautiful but also looks cold as f**k!

Oh yeah I have seen plenty of his videos. Now remember I am not a student of the golf swing but in his videos I like the position of his swing at the top and through the zone. The position through the zone IMHO is where he gets his power at.

Oh yeah I have seen plenty of his videos. Now remember I am not a student of the golf swing but in his videos I like the position of his swing at the top and through the zone. The position through the zone IMHO is where he gets his power at.

What is the zone? :)

Unfortunately my quick search didn't result in coming across any of Hammer's swing videos.

What is the zone? :)

Unfortunately my quick search didn't result in coming across any of Hammer's swing videos.

Hale what I refer to as the zone is when the clubhead is coming down between the right and left knees on a right handed golfer just the opposite for Hammer since he is a lefty. That is the hitting zone.

Most of my club building projects have been on hold until I buy a shaft extractor. Just feel like I'm getting the shafts to hot with my redneck engineering method of totally breaking the epoxy with heat and manually pulling the tip by pulling it against my vise jaws. Can't really add heat and pull with the other hand, so a shaft extractor seems to be the answer.

Had a funny round yesterday. Realized when I got the course for a casual round I had left my putter in my office putting studio. Grabbed a righty from the pro shop and used it for the first 5 holes, but had 3 three putts in a row. So, on about 6 I started putting with my hybrid. Had two birdies on the back nine which was kind of fun. Was playing a couple of friends in a little game and they thought it was pretty funny getting hustled by a guy with no putter.

Ended up getting an email back from the The Honorable Company of Edinburgh Golfers yesterday that they found me a tee time at Muirfield. I didn't really want to make the trek back to east Lothian from Fife for one round, but considering I have no idea or surplus budget to ever make it back to Scotland felt I couldn't miss a Rota course.

Ironically, it got me thinking about my regular Sunday group. All low handicappers, all walkers, all like to play early and grab lunch at the club house. Sounds a little like Muirfield doesn't it? Well, the one thing we don't do is go back out for alternating shot round after lunch (or wear a tie and jacket during lunch). I'm going to try and talk the boys into giving it a go one Sunday. Just sounds like too much fun to walk 36 but get a reprieve from all the swinging on the second loop.

Best wishes to the small but dedicated Confessioners.

I guess the light-hearted 5 hybrid putter round paid dividends for my mental game... went out and fired a decent number this afternoon for the first time in many moons! Hope you guys are staying warm, getting in some golf or other exercise, and are healthy and happy!

Edited to add:

We've finally started getting some real winter weather, so I've been day dreaming about my round on Friday in warm weather with a dry and firm golf course.

I began looking more seriously at my mental game after knowing it was a big problem for the last couple of years. Exchanged some emails with a pro that is focused on the mental game and began making a strategy to improve. The first task was to identify some "personas" that you have out on the golf course and analyze how they effect your shots. I played several rounds (going back to when we played together DeNinny) and it took me quite awhile to come up with something. I was thinking more on the lines of angry, frustrated, happy, gleeful, impatient, etc. - but the first real thing that I noticed was that I would come up with a bad plan when I was forced with an "uncomfortable" shot. Almost as if I was giving myself permission to fail by drawing up a shot that was outside of my ability level. Then I would change my setup and swing to try what would in essence be a recovery shot, but I was doing it from the middle of the fairway sometimes.

I named that "persona" Bryson and vowed to recognize when I am uncomfortable and make a simple plan. The next time I played the same hole I hit the tee ball into a very similar spot, so it reminded me, "hey, this is where you screwed up." So, rather than be 'Bryson' I just tried to get the right club and hit the ball into the middle of the green. It worked. I'm really looking forward to continuing this work to be a stronger mental player.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It was around -20ºC yesterday morning, now it's +7ºC. From -4 to 45 (in your units) in some 30 hours. The golfer in me should be excited but the skier in me is kind of worried. I've entered an event next weekend but with the temperatures staying above freezing and the sun shining until Thursday, chances are we'd need roller skis for some bits and hockey gear for protection on the other, icy bits. :) If the heat wave stays round, we might get an early start to the season though.

I did start my golf season last week in an indoor facility. Hitting shots felt surprisingly easy and simple, picking up right where I left off last autumn. That facility only has about 15 yards before the ball hits the net and the wall so you don't get much information about the actual ball flight though. What I did find interesting was chipping with my wide-soled 55.12 and a Vokey 56º M-Grind wedge with less bounce. The 55 was hitting the ground way too early whereas the M-Grind seemed to hit the ground right by the ball. Of course, it's hard to tell whether or not my real chip shots and other wedge shots off the grass are anywhere close to the same.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned last night from tripping around Scotland to play golf.

Ended up playing seven different courses. We got so lucky with the weather and I am extremely grateful.

It was my quest to see the "real links" classic courses of East Lothian and Fife and although you would never see them all in a seven day trip, I feel I got my feet wet.

Such a beautiful and friendly country. I hope to return.

Hope everyone else in Confessions land is doing swell!

• Like 1

Matt J that trip sounds awesome.

I confess that golf has lost a little bit of luster with me and I haven't been playing or thinking about it much at all for over a month. The cold and wet Portland weather, my battles with gout, and most importantly the Xbox One game, Red Dead Redemption 2 online, has taken away my desire to play.

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

Ninja, you will thaw out with the coming of spring! Gout runs in my family and I have several times showed some of the early symptoms. Some of my best friends have suffered with it, so I know your pain. Good luck, I know that managing the progression takes a lot of discipline and staying away from certain foods.

If any of you are interested I'm posting some course reviews and stuff over in the "March Golf" thread on the UK travel part of WRX. Didn't want to cross post.

Another thing, Ninja.... I think I'm going to come up to PDX to have Jari do a real iron shaft fitting for me. So we should get together, maybe take the ladies to Top Golf? Or play a round, although I'm running out of PDX courses that intrigue me. Maybe that McMinnimans 9 holer? It will probably be around the Masters.

That kind of came about because I have been frustrated after visiting a friend who is a club builder. We basically threw a ton of different clubs out of my collection on his frequency machine and not one of my sets was even close to being right. Every time, looking at the numbers, it was the club I loved that was correct, or one that I hated was way off. I decided to dig around and see what I could do with what I have at home to make a frequency matched set. As I dug around I found that another set of pulls in my basement that I traded for was soft-stepped 3 times. 7 iron into the PW. Ridiculous. EVERY SINGLE SET of used clubs I've purchased (which is all of them) were jacked up.

I'm taking my Miura CB heads to Jari and having him build me a set that are frequency matched and swing weighted and fit me and playing them until I they are a rusted mess.

• Like 1

MJ yeah you saw me at Bandon Trails at the recovering end of a gout attack. It royally sucks. The pain messes with your head it's so bad. It makes you crazy like thinking you would rather have your foot cut off to ease the pain rather than have the attack. If it is coming on for you, I suggest staying off red meat and alcohol completely if you don't take medication (allopurinol). Without medication, I am now on a mainly chicken and fish meat diet and I don't get attacks. The only time I get an attack now is if I binge on steak and pork for a few days.

And yeah just text me when you are coming up and we will play. McMennimans Edgefield par 3 course is awesome for couples to play but also keep other normal courses in mind. Definitely no Top Golf please. Not interested in that at all.

And yeah Jari will hook you up and get your Miuras dialed in however you want. He knows that golf nerds like us want our clubs to be built to exacting standards and such. I plan on playing both my baby blade sets built by him until they are a worn down mess.

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat