2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Tour Players playing Titleist AVX?

RyanNoodles

This is all speculation for this thread, but, I think if it were not up to the branding image, and maybe tour contracts, maybe a few tour pros would play the AVX? The Pro V1 and V1X is still the premier premium tier ball and the most played on tour and I think that is what drives the sales number and what they need tour players to play. I'm not a pro V1/X player but they probably want their tour staffers to stick with the top-tier ball to potentially influence sales and the prestige of their brand. I've tried a few sleeves of AVX and I think it is a good ball, for me, better than V1, maybe not V1X. Not my gamer, but AVX fills a void in capturing those extra couple percentage points for market share purposes, i think.

2 things

The Japan Tour Prestige is the same ball as the AVX , are any international pros playing that ball ?

Second , there is no confirmation Titleist has captured more market share. I still think their price point for the general public will keep them as a niche offering from a premier brand.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

This is all speculation for this thread, but, I think if it were not up to the branding image, and maybe tour contracts, maybe a few tour pros would play the AVX? The Pro V1 and V1X is still the premier premium tier ball and the most played on tour and I think that is what drives the sales number and what they need tour players to play. I'm not a pro V1/X player but they probably want their tour staffers to stick with the top-tier ball to potentially influence sales and the prestige of their brand. I've tried a few sleeves of AVX and I think it is a good ball, for me, better than V1, maybe not V1X. Not my gamer, but AVX fills a void in capturing those extra couple percentage points for market share purposes, i think.

The AVX costs the same as the V1 and x so why would Titleist frown on any pro playing it who wanted to play it? They wouldn’t! The undeniable fact is it doesn’t perform. Tour pros don’t need to hit their 7 iron longer or have overall less spin.

Agreed. To add to that the Pro V1 and V1X have about all the "tour" status they need and very few avid golfers that currently play them are likely to switch.

But, if they could get a more people switching to Titleist and the AVX due to a tour player or two using it they would be all for it I would think.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

2 things

The Japan Tour Prestige is the same ball as the AVX , are any international pros playing that ball ?

Second , there is no confirmation Titleist has captured more market share. I still think their price point for the general public will keep them as a niche offering from a premier brand.

Yet their price point is only a few dollars more than the new chromesoft and TP5 balls which isn’t that big of a separation these days.

The AVX costs the same as the V1 and x so why would Titleist frown on any pro playing it who wanted to play it? They wouldnt! The undeniable fact is it doesnt perform. Tour pros dont need to hit their 7 iron longer or have overall less spin.

Agreed. To add to that the Pro V1 and V1X have about all the "tour" status they need and very few avid golfers that currently play them are likely to switch.

But, if they could get a more people switching to Titleist and the AVX due to a tour player or two using it they would be all for it I would think.

Not everyone needs tour caliber spin and could use a little extra distance. This ball would fit that bill as would a lot of other mid/high compression ball with a urethane cover.

2 things

Yet their price point is only a few dollars more than the new chromesoft and TP5 balls which isnt that big of a separation these days.

I was disappointed when Callaway bumped up the price of the Chrome Soft but it’s still my main gamer I just use my Dicks coupons when I get them. I like the Project (a) a lot too and play it a good bit which is at a good price point for what it is.

I don't think it's crazy to think a tour player would play the AVX. Look at how successful the TP5X has been and one of the defining features of that ball is less spin off the mid to short irons while still retaining lots of spin on short shots.

To me the AVX spins less around the greens than a V1, but the differences isn't that substantial. I can't imagine a ball like the B330 spins more than the AVX around the greens.

B330 and 330s spins loads more than avx. I’ve played all 3 a lot.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Plenty are playing the pro v1 version though. The low spin ( left dot I think ). Just has v1 dimples instead of avx . That's why. They have a ball that's very very similar. It isn't because none want spin reduction. Remember. It doesn't just reduce spin with full shots. Taking spin off all around canbe a godsend for a high spin player.

Sorry ? The Prov1 "version" of the AVX. Did I miss that ?

As for the original premise, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the shorter hitters and/or high spin players move to the AVX. Then again, peer pressure can be tough. LOL

We just saying the left dot is very much same as avx in spin numbers. And plenty of pros play the left dot version of prov1. So they do play a reduced spin ball. Avx just has the Bridgestone style dimple pattern. ( I said style. Not an exact copy. But certainly a close copy to get them samd wind cheating properties Bridgestone has had for a while ).

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t know who plays what, but a year + ago I heard a couple of Titleist guys talking about a new version of the ProV that was created at the request of some of the tour players that flew lower and had less spin. The remark was “ we never thought less spin was a step forward but this is what the guys are requesting “

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

Dont know who plays what, but a year + ago I heard a couple of Titleist guys talking about a new version of the ProV that was created at the request of some of the tour players that flew lower and had less spin. The remark was we never thought less spin was a step forward but this is what the guys are requesting

Rest assured if it’s true it’s nothing like the AVX

• 1 month later...

It would almost be like asking a tour player back in the early 1990's to Switch from a Titleist Tour Balata to A Titleist DT!!!! Younger crowd may need to google the Titleist DT(and tour balata). The AVX is great for someone who needs a low spin ball off the tee for distance and plays big watered down greens! I dont really see lpga, champions, top ams or even top juniors playing the AVX. Its probably a great ball, but it has its place!!!

I don't think it's crazy to think a tour player would play the AVX. Look at how successful the TP5X has been and one of the defining features of that ball is less spin off the mid to short irons while still retaining lots of spin on short shots.

To me the AVX spins less around the greens than a V1, but the differences isn't that substantial. I can't imagine a ball like the B330 spins more than the AVX around the greens.

B330 and 330s spins loads more than avx. I’ve played all 3 a lot.

Agreed

It would almost be like asking a tour player back in the early 1990's to Switch from a Titleist Tour Balata to A Titleist DT!!!! Younger crowd may need to google the Titleist DT(and tour balata). The AVX is great for someone who needs a low spin ball off the tee for distance and plays big watered down greens! I dont really see lpga, champions, top ams or even top juniors playing the AVX. Its probably a great ball, but it has its place!!!

The AVX spins more than enough to stop quickly on firm bermuda greens (I cannot comment on stopping power for firm bent or poa greens). The difference is that the AVX will hop and stop or hop and trickle a few yards. Balls like a V1 or Cally CS will hop and suck back a good bit requiring a more nuanced approach to controlling spin. The pros have to learn a dead hand wedge and various spin control shots for wind that a ball like the AVX doesn't require so much.

Interesting. After gaming the Project a I was curious if any pros played it. Frankly...I think that's more likely on the tour than the AVX. I did see somebody here mention the AVX could appear on the LPGA and I tend to agree with that. For me (and my ball flight is much like on the LPGA) the AVX wasn't holding greens very well. Great ball, though - especially for us weekend warriors!

It would almost be like asking a tour player back in the early 1990's to Switch from a Titleist Tour Balata to A Titleist DT!!!!

OY !!! :rolleyes:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Why would you play an AVX?

Lower flight and less spin makes it a good wind ball. Longer off the driver and irons as well due to the lower spin. Spin is still good enough to stop irons and short pitches on the green. Ball will generally not spin back much leaving the ball closer to pitch mark. Softer off the putter as well.

Unless you're trolling, why would you ask such a silly question ?

For the same reason you play whatever ball you play - because it works for one's game. :aikido:

Titleist Pro V1X

Prediction. In 2019 we will see a player on the PGA Tour or the European PGA Tour win a tournament playing the AVX.

I would take that bet!!! I dont think one will be played on either the PGA tour or European Tour let alone get a win. They might spin fine at the local muni or cc, but the greens on almost all PGA and Euro arent going to handle "rocks"!

Prediction. In 2019 we will see a player on the PGA Tour or the European PGA Tour win a tournament playing the AVX.

Def might see a few on the LPGA or Champions though

I would take that bet!!! I dont think one will be played on either the PGA tour or European Tour let alone get a win. They might spin fine at the local muni or cc, but the greens on almost all PGA and Euro arent going to handle "rocks"!

Def might see a few on the LPGA or Champions though

I have no problem stopping the AVX on firm bermuda stimping 11 - 12. Just sayin.

I don’t think you will see a pro playing the AVX , UNLESS it has an asterisk on the side stamp and is a “tour issue” AVX that is not the same as a store bought ball. Much like Phil never really played a Chrome Soft

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Lower flight and less spin makes it a good wind ball. Longer off the driver and irons as well due to the lower spin. Spin is still good enough to stop irons and short pitches on the green. Ball will generally not spin back much leaving the ball closer to pitch mark. Softer off the putter as well.

Agreed. Received a dozen as a gift. Played Prov1 and Prov1x the last decade or more.

Played a few rounds now.

Driver : lower flight, great into the wind, less sideways movement, definitely longer.

Fairway woods : needle straight, lower flight a slight problem on par 5's with hazards short of green though.

Irons : flight high enough, higher than expected with the lower flight of the woods. More than enough backspin. Slight mishits still travels further to carry hazards, and much less sideway movement.

Short shots : less spin, but not uncontrollably so, easy to adjust. Crisp chips still bite well.

Putting : more clicky and firm off the face than the V1 for me, but rolls well and distance control fine.

Great durability.

At present the best ball for my game, for someone that does not play golf for a living.

Agreed. Received a dozen as a gift. Played Prov1 and Prov1x the last decade or more.

Played a few rounds now.

Driver : lower flight, great into the wind, less sideways movement, definitely longer.

Fairway woods : needle straight, lower flight a slight problem on par 5's with hazards short of green though.

Irons : flight high enough, higher than expected with the lower flight of the woods. More than enough backspin. Slight mishits still travels further to carry hazards, and much less sideway movement.

Short shots : less spin, but not uncontrollably so, easy to adjust. Crisp chips still bite well.

Putting : more clicky and firm off the face than the V1 for me, but rolls well and distance control fine.

Great durability.

At present the best ball for my game, for someone that does not play golf for a living.

I'd say that was an excellent recap & I agree completely.

Good on ya mate !!! :hi:

Titleist Pro V1X

I’ll take that bet as well. Not only will no player win with it there won’t be a player playing with it.

Isn't there a new ProV or 2 on the Conforming Ball List besides the ones that'll be in the shops ?

Suppose one of them is a "pro only" wolf in sheep's clothing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Things that make you go Hmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,, :secret:

Titleist Pro V1X

Can never say never, but it is highly doubtful. Just not enough spin for the rock hard greens they play on the PGA (US and Euro) and LPGA Tours. Maybe on the Champions Tour.

I like the ball. Especially when I go from altitude to a sea-level or near sea-level course since the extra yardage I get out of the irons with the AVX, compensates for the loss due to elevation. And I do like putting with it.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I’ll take that bet as well. Not only will no player win with it there won’t be a player playing with it.

Isn't there a new ProV or 2 on the Conforming Ball List besides the ones that'll be in the shops ?

Suppose one of them is a "pro only" wolf in sheep's clothing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Things that make you go Hmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,, :secret:

The only way it would be used is if they made a prototype nothing like it or rebranded a ProV model by stamping it with “AVX” for a pro to use.