2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Best Distance Irons for seniors

disco111

Swallow pride,

play hybrids.

Have tried hybrids, several times, but they are not for me. It's a mental thing. I look down at address and see a wood and then attempt to hit them like a wood, with not good results. I though about trying actual woods, 7/9 to replace some irons, but in the Okla wind, all they do is balloon and come up woefully short. I'm actually intrigued about some irons from Tour Edge. Happened to stumble across some posts about the EX3 model, with some favorable responses, but not enough to run out and get them for now. Does anyone here play them or have played them and if so, what was/is your assessment on them.

TourEdge's IronWood is an amazing looking and performing club.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this week I've spent a lot of range/demo time trying the exact same thing that OP is after.

My own gamer is Benross Compressor type R irons with Kuro Kage A flex. My usual 7 iron swing speed is around 70 mph with a ball speed of 90 ish

Tried;

Mizuno 919 hot metal,

Titleist AP1 & AP3

Wilson C300

Ping i500

TM790.

For me nothing actually improved over my current Benross irons.

The i500 certainly matched it, but the Benross was £55 a club versus £140 a club if I wanted to change

Interesting was the shafts. Both the Kuro Kage A flex and UST mamiya Recoil F2 performed really well for me.

I only carry 7 iron to GW in an iron set, with hybrids 4,5&6.

Have you tried Benross ?

Tim Reed who runs the Callaway Tour dept and does more at Callaway corporate is a gamer. Great player and also losing distance. He started messing with 7 and 9 fairway heads but built them shorter for control and added weight to the heads to compensate for the light heads. Said they would go long and VERY high to hold greens. Cheating but legal.

This ... the longer shafts on hybrids and higher lofted heads always confused me. It’s a pain to shorten - both sw and lie - but when the p790 start to fade as (evidently!) I continue to age, 7, 9, 11 woods with shorter shafts are in my future.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Tim Reed who runs the Callaway Tour dept and does more at Callaway corporate is a gamer. Great player and also losing distance. He started messing with 7 and 9 fairway heads but built them shorter for control and added weight to the heads to compensate for the light heads. Said they would go long and VERY high to hold greens. Cheating but legal.

This ... the longer shafts on hybrids and higher lofted heads always confused me. It’s a pain to shorten - both sw and lie - but when the p790 start to fade as (evidently!) I continue to age, 7, 9, 11 woods with shorter shafts are in my future.

I'm a proponent of building hybrids to the same length, as the long iron they're replacing, and with the same shaft as the other irons. Other than for ease of assembly (swing weight), why the BIG OE's build them much longer perplexes me. I'm in the throws of building a set of single-length Wishon Sterling irons for a client. 4-GW. All 36.5" long.

I too, wield a 21' 7W, and rarely miss the screws. The only FW I carry now, at age 64.

I'm in the same boat. Back in about 2014 I had a chance to do a side by side comparison of several game improvement/super game improvement 7 irons. For me the Big Bertha's with the Recoil graphite shafts worked better than anything else. I am planning to go through another side by side comparison test this coming spring if I can get that set up as I am now a couple of generations down. A leading contender for me is the newest recently announced Big Bertha's if there is enough of an improvement over what I have now.

I’ll be 62 soon - went to G700, regular graphite, -1/2 inch, Power Spec lofts this year. The 5 iron is 21.5 degrees, 37 3/4” ... love hitting it instead of a hybrid for approaches!

The Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max 10.5° Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 Max 5w/7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h/5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 5-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS Z-115

Oddysey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie 33"

I forgot this is WRX where hitting a 7 iron 135 is slow even for a 75 year old. That's all I hit my traditionally lofted 7 iron. And my friends call me Long Ball Leo. I'm longer than they are and they're only in their 60s. Hitting a 7 iron 150 is a standard yardage. So, you're 1 club shorter than that.

Modern distance irons are 1 club stronger so there you go. I'm switching to G400 irons so I'm back to hitting my 7 iron 150. Just like I did 30 years ago. It's really a 6 iron or even a 5 iron if you go back far enough in time to see what lofts were on irons in the 70s. But it makes me happy.

Echoing this. Bobbly Clampett, a swing or short game guru to many wrx’rs, hits a PW about 120 yards and a 9 iron 130. And he can still really play and score. Find irons/shaft combos that just feel right and gap them properly. When you’re hitting a 9 iron from 120/5 to 15’ and the other guys are hitting gap wedges to 15’ from the same place does it really matter?— beyond your own ego?

Really interesting thread with thanks to contributors as I will hit 70 in next few months. I thought I would add my experience. Two years ago I decided to treat myself to new irons. I was fitted into a Mizuno JPX900 forged iron set with graphite Recoil 95 F2 (stiff) shafts. Went for GW-4 iron and delighted with them. They are beautifully soft and deadly accurate when I put a decent swing on them. I would highly recommend anyone try the recoil shafts and in several flexes. My observations have been that the irons are 1 club stronger/longer than my old set and I am 1 club shorter (7 iron SS about 65 and hit about 145y) compared to what I used be which is about a 2 club difference. I have no option but to accept that. So my 6 iron was really a 5 iron, the 5 was a 4 iron and the 4 really a three iron. I found I just could not consistently get up enough speed to play the 4 iron properly and so replaced it with a Titleist 21 hybrid. While the hybrid is much easier to hit it is not as accurate as the iron when well hit. I am also going to look at maybe the Mizuno hot metal irons with softer F3 shaft and bigger head for the 6 and 5 to help get them up in the air quicker. So if doing it again from scratch I would go with a mixed set and 3 different club types GW-7 iron, 6/5 iron and 4 hybrid plus 3/5 woods and driver. While reasonably long in my age group it can be very frustrating, as mentioned earlier, to see younger guys bomb their drives past you and take 2/3 clubs less into the green but that's the way it is. However I do take great pleasure in a tidy game around the green, when working, and when taking the money at the end every so often.

After spending the last couple of days reviewing clubs and YouTube swing help videos, I'm convinced that there are clubs out there that will help seniors gain distance. It was also surprising as to how far back the stronger lofts were. There were some as far back as 2003 that had stronger, not as strong as today's, but only a degree or two different. What I found questionable was the price on some older irons. Example; TM r7 (2006-7) were selling for close to, if not the same as TM from 2012/13/14). In addition, the r7 lofts were the same as today's lofts. Anyway, I decided on the TM's Speedbaldez. I read were there were some, not many, but a few instances were the faces were caving in, but I attributed that to higher swing speeds and just beating lots of range balls. Fortunately I don't/won't or should not have that particular problem surfacing. Every review, as to distance gains, were very positive and from a variety of hdcp's and swing speeds. Plus I got them at a very reasonable price. I also was very impressed with looking at the Benross clubs from the UK. I almost pulled the trigger on a set, but I backed off because of possible resale value here in the states, if they were not a good fit. Won't get the TM's until after the first of the year and then hope for some decent weather. An update will be forth coming as soon as possible.

After spending the last couple of days reviewing clubs and YouTube swing help videos, I'm convinced that there are clubs out there that will help seniors gain distance. It was also surprising as to how far back the stronger lofts were. There were some as far back as 2003 that had stronger, not as strong as today's, but only a degree or two different. What I found questionable was the price on some older irons. Example; TM r7 (2006-7) were selling for close to, if not the same as TM from 2012/13/14). In addition, the r7 lofts were the same as today's lofts. Anyway, I decided on the TM's Speedbaldez. I read were there were some, not many, but a few instances were the faces were caving in, but I attributed that to higher swing speeds and just beating lots of range balls. Fortunately I don't/won't or should not have that particular problem surfacing. Every review, as to distance gains, were very positive and from a variety of hdcp's and swing speeds. Plus I got them at a very reasonable price. I also was very impressed with looking at the Benross clubs from the UK. I almost pulled the trigger on a set, but I backed off because of possible resale value here in the states, if they were not a good fit. Won't get the TM's until after the first of the year and then hope for some decent weather. An update will be forth coming as soon as possible.

I did my research on this a few months back as well. The speedblades did rate well for raw distance but depending on the shaft (and player) the launch angle was not always ideal.

Carry equals distance and in collating reviews I found the RSi 1's have the same tech but launch angle and gapping distances in the set was improved.

I also was concerned about the reports of faces caving and have no doubt it was an issue, but like you I am unlikely to do that with my lower swing speed.

When I got mine (used from ebay) I put a metal ruler against the faces and they were all good.

I like some other posters in this thread got recoils in 60 reg in them and I have to say I am very happy with them.

Distance is one club plus, height is excellent, especially with the long irons and gapping is good.

I did recommend these earlier in this thread but just wanted to give a bit more detail.

Unsure if this has been mentioned, flipped through the thread but did not see it pop up.

Everyone gets so caught up on loft! and it is absolutely maddening!!

Loft is only 1 piece of the puzzle. On page 2 someone came close when the mentioned the super deep/low CG. What you need to understand about modern distance irons is that they are not simply "jacking the lofts" as many have claimed.When OEM's design these types of clubs, they also re-position CG and tweak MOI (stability) in order to build an iron that still performs as an IRON and not as a fairway wood. People have referenced the Launcher HB's perfect example, YES it is a hollow body, and YES it is built with hybrid inspiration, however, they are still built to perform and play as an Iron. HOW did they do this? Long blade length and hollow head for forgiveness and ball speed AND a very low and deep CG for LAUNCH. Lofts aside, the #5 is still built to find a window optimized for distance - and lower launch is not the key to that.

Look at what parameters dictate distance on driver. Higher Launch with Lower spin (dumbed down yes, but for simplicity's sake lets not get in to it)

So, how does that translate to an iron when we are loft jacking? (Strengthening/Lower the loft) It rarely does when ONLY loft is accounted for.

The modern distance iron has its pros and cons, and a "jacked loft" is in neither category, because alone it means nothing. HOWEVER, the stronger lofts and the higher launch designs are often coupled with LESS SPIN comparative to older generations/designs. So, Yes, the irons have stronger lofts, but the ball is typically launching as high, or higher than some "weaker" lofted irons in the same category, but along with less spin is providing added carry.

Also on the second page someone recommends paying attention to height: this is 100% the best avenue coupled with a fitting/club analysis.

As a fitter and club builder: height/carry are king when it comes to fitting irons for those seeking more distance, especially those who are on the waning end of swing speed.

To circle around to recommendations: Cleveland HB, King OS, F Max SL, G700, the Bridgestone recommendations are also solid. and lastly, yes, the Rogue family of irons are also solid options - which of the family is the ideal depends on many factors.

Lastly, since I also have not seen it mentioned, the SOLE type is also important for adding to distance potential of an iron. If the sole/bounce design of the iron does not mesh up with your strike pattern then the distance adding properties/designs of the irons may not be getting utilized the most efficiently.

*exhales*

All this talk about clubs, lofts, swing speed, shafts, and distance has me thinking. Now I'm sure everyone responding to this thread has much more experience than I do. I'm 71 years old and only been playing for 3 years. But during that time, I got fitted twice, played with a variety of club brands, tweaked shafts and lofts and lies, and still feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack.

I almost feel like finding the right club is similar to finding the right pair of shoes. There's lots of them that will fit you and feel pretty good, but every once in a while, you find a pair that just feels exceptional - great support, great fit, and all around comfortable to wear.

Is that what we're talking about here? Finding the right club that delivers on distance might mean going on a quest to find the one that just feels right and then the distance will come.

I've been comparing two clubs in my hitting bay at home. I have a way to measure distance and performance. The clubs are the Ping i500 and the Srixon Z585. Same shafts (Recoil A flex) and lie. The Z585's are -3/4 inch in length and the Ping's are standard length, but based on a fitting I had, I normally choke up about a 1/2 inch with the Ping irons which makes them comparable to the Z585's. I purchased them standard length and my fitter said it was not necessary to cut them down if I was ok with just choking up a 1/2 inch with each one.

The Z585's have jacked lofts (2 degrees stronger than their normal lofts) and the i500's are the standard lofts that Ping issues them with. The Z585's are 1 to 1.5 degrees stronger depending on the club.

Both irons are a pleasure to swing but they do feel different. The Z585's feel a little head-heavier which encourages a faster swing. Not sure that helps though. The Ping's feel lighter and I think this actually results in a faster swing speed. But when I compare them, the swing speed with both is about the same. However, I have found that I can get about the same distance with the Ping's that I can with the Z585's... sometimes, even more. I would rate the dispersion about the same. Maybe a slight edge to the Ping's.

So is the distance coming from the tech built into the Ping's? I don't think so. I think it comes from finding the sweet spot more often. Mishits with the Z585's may be a little longer than the Ping's but I attribute this to the jacked lofts.

My point is that sometimes chasing distance based on the club really comes down to which club you can hit more consistently with and not based on which one has more tech built into it. Is feeling more important than all the rest? I honestly don't know, but I do know that if a club feels better in my hand and when swinging, I tend to get better results. But very often, the difference is so subtle when getting fit that you just can't tell which one is better.

It's like getting fitted for new glasses when they have you in front of a lens machine and they say "Is 1 better or 2"? Ever get a pair when you said 1 is better, and then had second thoughts?

Alternative to all the posts above.

My solution to distance loss as a senior (65), are Japanese PRGR Egg irons. I know that many of you will not get past the funky name and that is your choice, but I have tried everything and there is nothing that will touch these for easy distance and great performance. PRGR (Pro Gear) is a division of Yokohama tire and they develop golf clubs that don’t conform to the norm, but do perform spectacularly. So the purist will cringe at the name and the look of the clubs, but he will be doing that 20 yards behind me in the fairway.

Basically these clubs have super strong lofts, but they hit the ball high so that you can drop your shots on the pin and hold the green well. Part is the head design with a wide sole, and part is their proprietary shafts. Shafts are designated not by the conventional R,S,X method, but by clubhead speed (of your driver). Hence the SR shaft I use is their M-40 for players with driver clubhead speed of 40 meters per second (89 MPH). [Note: Japanese SR stands for STIFF Regular, not SOFT Regular]

I am not immune to the unconventional looks issue myself, so I have the PF version which are more conventional FORGED irons but they get the job done and don’t look as odd.

There is nothing I have read in the thread above that will touch these.

Alternative to all the posts above.

My solution to distance loss as a senior (65), are Japanese PRGR Egg irons. I know that many of you will not get past the funky name and that is your choice, but I have tried everything and there is nothing that will touch these for easy distance and great performance. PRGR (Pro Gear) is a division of Yokohama tire and they develop golf clubs that don’t conform to the norm, but do perform spectacularly. So the purist will cringe at the name and the look of the clubs, but he will be doing that 20 yards behind me in the fairway.

Basically these clubs have super strong lofts, but they hit the ball high so that you can drop your shots on the pin and hold the green well. Part is the head design with a wide sole, and part is their proprietary shafts. Shafts are designated not by the conventional R,S,X method, but by clubhead speed (of your driver). Hence the SR shaft I use is their M-40 for players with driver clubhead speed of 40 meters per second (89 MPH). [Note: Japanese SR stands for STIFF Regular, not SOFT Regular]

I am not immune to the unconventional looks issue myself, so I have the PF version which are more conventional FORGED irons but they get the job done and don’t look as odd.

There is nothing I have read in the thread above that will touch these.

While they may very well be great clubs, there is IMO a two fold downside. First, price........personally, I would rather spend that type of money of PXG's, if I were so inclined. Second, attempting to re-sale (if they didn't work out), could/would be a major issue, with folks not knowing about them, the odd looking heads and again, the price.

Could I suggest you pick up a cheap set of Srixon 545's or 745's? I am 70 and am hitting the ball as far as I ever did (played off 3 for many years) and these irons are seriously under rated. I've stuck with steel shafts - the excellent N.S. Pro 120's - and ditched my Ping i200's in favour of the Srixons. Worth an inexpensive experiment.

Did the obligatory search and only found a thread on 7 iron SS and there were a few references to some brands, but mostly just data reference to smash factors = SS. So now the question for those seniors that have lost serious iron distance and regained that distance. Now a little personal back round to refine choices. Age 75, 7 iron SS was averaged at 75 and that was at Dicks on their swing monitor with a new Ping 7 with an "R" steel shaft. Average carry was 138 with total at 143. As for exercise and stretching to increase SS, I'm tapped out as far as the body will comply, so whatever can help must be derived from equipment. In fact, the last 2 rounds played just this weekend, showed an even more drop in distance. Example; sitting at 152, no wind to affect the shot, hit a 6 on the button and was 20 yds short. This shot, along with others during the round, but particularly this shot, really frustrated me.

So what irons would you seniors advise?............

I would suggest you definitely consider graphite. Being a 7 handicap according to you profile, the newer "player's distance irons" are worth a look. These would include:

TM P790

Ping i500 (I have a set of never hit 5-UW I'd sell - pm me if interested)

Callaway - wait for the rumored new Apex

There are a lot of clubs that will give you distance such as Rogue X, Ping G700, Callaway Big Bertha but these tend to be SGI models with thick top lines, wide soles and a bit oversized. I am 71 and went to graphite many years ago but just don't liek the look of a "shovel" at setup.

Why play the guessing game on the internet? Why not simply go get professionally fitted?

One guy with your exact specs may play a bit longer w a new set of cobra irons or TM or whatever and they may work like crap with your particular swing.

Get on a launch monitor and have a professional fit you.

Why play the guessing game on the internet? Why not simply go get professionally fitted?

One guy with your exact specs may play a bit longer w a new set of cobra irons or TM or whatever and they may work like crap with your particular swing.

Get on a launch monitor and have a professional fit you.

I'm pretty sure this is addressed to the OP (me), so i'll respond. Have been "pro" fitted and was told to play 2* up -- Hooked everything. Went to another fitter and was told 2* flat, played well with that lie. As far as someone playing better with the same exact specs, but longer, that's comes down to SS and that's why the need for clubs that help slower SS's. Have been on the LM and found exactly what my average SS was with a standard 7 iron "R" shaft. So armed with SS and lie preference, it's not a guessing game reviewing clubs on line. It's just a matter of brand and price, coupled with the brand with the best reviews. I do appreciate the response though, it helps to re-affirm my positioning on what I'm striving to accomplish. :drinks:

Agree with the suggestions about graphite. Will be 64 in about a month. Went to senior flex shafts a few years back. Now have them in every club. Nothing higher then a 6i. 2 hybrids. Once I got through my thick skull to hit the hybrids like an iron not a wood a world of difference. The big change was not trying to keep up with the big hitters, I can't.

The old saying "Hit them long" is now replaced by "hit them straight". Rather hit a 7i 145 then try to kill and 8I

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S

Could I suggest you pick up a cheap set of Srixon 545's or 745's? I am 70 and am hitting the ball as far as I ever did (played off 3 for many years) and these irons are seriously under rated. I've stuck with steel shafts - the excellent N.S. Pro 120's - and ditched my Ping i200's in favour of the Srixons. Worth an inexpensive experiment.

I'm 63 and have a bad shoulder...hanging in there with i200s which are fantastic, but the 5i is borderline and the steady power drain trend is undeniable. Did you find the Srixons longer/higher but still similarly precise (like i200s)? I love those i200s.

I play recoil 110 stiff...they don't make a regular. Or maybe go down to recoil 95, although my timing is better with 110s. Not sure softer shafts will help all that much (in prior testing, they've felt good but not much higher launch and definitely less accurate).

I'm trying an Adams a12 pro 26* (dropping the i200 5i). I can hit the i200 5i 185 yds off a tee, but only 170-175 from fairway, <10 yds longer than the 6i. Power spec won't help 5i carry, might be worse.

Anyway I've wondered about Srixon irons.

I'm 63 and have a bad shoulder...hanging in there with i200s which are fantastic, but the 5i is borderline and the steady power drain trend is undeniable. Did you find the Srixons longer/higher but still similarly precise (like i200s)? I love those i200s.

I play recoil 110 stiff...they don't make a regular. Or maybe go down to recoil 95, although my timing is better with 110s. Not sure softer shafts will help all that much (in prior testing, they've felt good but not much higher launch and definitely less accurate).

I'm trying an Adams a12 pro 26* (dropping the i200 5i). I can hit the i200 5i 185 yds off a tee, but only 170-175 from fairway, <10 yds longer than the 6i. Power spec won't help 5i carry, might be worse.

I too enjoyed my i200's, but they looked "clunky" when sat next to the Srixons and when it came to feel off the clubface there was no comparison. The sliky smooth feeling of the Srixons is light years ahead of the Pings AND they are very forgiving. As I said before - a set in good condition is worth a punt. Flighting the ball I have not found to be a problem.

I too enjoyed my i200's, but they looked "clunky" when sat next to the Srixons and when it came to feel off the clubface there was no comparison. The sliky smooth feeling of the Srixons is light years ahead of the Pings AND they are very forgiving. As I said before - a set in good condition is worth a punt. Flighting the ball I have not found to be a problem.

Are you playing 545, 745 or combo? How did your longest iron compare i200 v. Srixon in terms of launch and carry?